Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The only thing you can trust a business to do is whatever is perceived to be the most profitable to shareholders in the short term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Andrast posted:

I can acknowledge the disease and complain about the symptoms

That's fine. It's the people who have TV or YouTube shows where they come back week after week only ever complaining about symptoms that annoy me.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Nintendo fans, people that play video games all the time, that still haven't figured out that Nintendo has never made something called the Game Boy Advanced. That's nearly 18 years of being corrected by search engines every time and never correctly reading the packaging of any of the games, anyone else's posts about it, or the big logo on the front of the handheld itself.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

So, did everything resolve ok with the racial slur maniacs?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

After a few minutes they got bored and went to other houses.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Well I hope they didn't get what they were looking for.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Tiggum posted:

That's fine. It's the people who have TV or YouTube shows where they come back week after week only ever complaining about symptoms that annoy me.

It’s to keep the problem in current discussion. I don’t know if you noticed, but people have a bad habit of forgetting about things very, very quickly. So the way to get people to constantly harass companies to force them to try change their ways to be less lovely, is to constantly bring up the problems (while hopefully pointing out possible solutions as well) so that it doesn’t just fade away.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

What compels a person to make a huge food order at the drive thru instead of just going in the drat lobby?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Convenience

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

More like oldpatienceless

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
"Congratulations! The email you reported was a simulated phishing attack initiated by your Information Security team. Good job!"

Literally the only SPAM or phishing emails I get are from them. This happens about once a week.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

if you're gettin off the escalator... you gotta walk at least as fast as the escalator is spewing people out......

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

And if you're getting on an elevator, please wait for people to get out of the elevator first. Same with trains.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

DizzyBum posted:

And if you're getting on an elevator, please wait for people to get out of the elevator first. Same with trains.

:mood:, the biggest :mood: available

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

DizzyBum posted:

One of the rare times I'll use the fact that I'm larger than most of the population. If I'm getting off a train and there are people clamoring to get on, I tell you hwat, I'm getting off first.

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When someone doesn't even wait for you to finish before they respond or try to argue with you. Wait a drat second, I wasn't done speaking, you will find out more info if you just let me finish these words!

On the flipside, people who get flustered and don't know how/when to finish their sentences, so they verbally trip over themselves preemptively to blurt out asmuchastheycanohandohand....

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Interrupters are the worse especially when both people arguing do it and it devolves into back and forth "let me finish" louder and louder until someone walks out or someone butts in to change the subject. This seemed to happen with my former boss at basically every academic conference when someone disagreed with him.

The second thing though I have trouble with sometimes, although instead of the blurting things out at the end they just kind of peter out. Those are pretty hard to recover because people will think you're losing it if you say "sorry, I forgot what I was going to say" too much, and saying "i'm done with that sentence, stop looking at me expectantly, i got nothing else" is also pretty weird, but, well, there it is.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

People who think "that is just your opinion" and "Well a lot of people disagree with you" is an actual argument.

Midig has a new favorite as of 20:50 on Feb 9, 2019

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Why do delivery food places have such absurdly short character limits for delivery instructions? I'm trying to help you loving idiots so you don't drive around for half an hour listening to the gps that isn't right while my food gets cold. I could have told you the information you need if you didn't limit me to like 20% of a tweet. Are you concerned about data costs or something by receiving messages that are like 150 characters instead of 25? Are you that cheap?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Why do delivery food places have such absurdly short character limits for delivery instructions? I'm trying to help you loving idiots so you don't drive around for half an hour listening to the gps that isn't right while my food gets cold. I could have told you the information you need if you didn't limit me to like 20% of a tweet. Are you concerned about data costs or something by receiving messages that are like 150 characters instead of 25? Are you that cheap?

Hahaha yeah. I need enough space to say "come to this entrance NO NOT THAT ONE OR THAT ONE OR ELSE YOU WILL GET LOST INSIDE MY MAZELIKE BUILDING AND END UP IN THE MAGIC KINGDOM OF NARNIA BEFORE YOU EVER FIND MY APARTMENT".

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Surely if they’re cheap the time wasted by lost drivers would be a concern.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Surely if they’re cheap the time wasted by lost drivers would be a concern.

It's the only reason I can think of why a place would limit delivery instructions to 35 characters. Do they think i'm going to copy paste war and peace to them?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

cinni posted:

When someone doesn't even wait for you to finish before they respond or try to argue with you. Wait a drat second, I wasn't done speaking, you will find out more info if you just let me finish these words!

I’m sorry, did the middle of my sentence interrupt the beginning of yours? Please, go ahead.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

It's the only reason I can think of why a place would limit delivery instructions to 35 characters. Do they think i'm going to copy paste war and peace to them?

I’ve definitely seen idiots online try to put wacky poo poo into the delivery instructions and similar fields. Some of that is gonna be stdh but I don’t doubt there’s people trying to include delivery people in their ~wacky~ lives. Idk if it’s worth it since drivers also probably appreciate knowing where the gently caress to go, especially if they are on strict time limita and/or paying their own gas.

I’ve seen people do that poo poo irl, too. That’s a peeve: basically no employee anywhere wants to deal with your stupid rear end pranks. I’m thinking that Pickle Rick McDonald’s harasser. Also, irl, I’ve seen a pack of dudes go into subway wearing those realistic animal masks and have one dude order while the rest glared down the staff, and at a bar I worked at we had to throw out a dozen or so idiots trying to do a flash mob.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

A man and woman are currently running around my house, screaming racial slurs, and jostling windows trying to find one that's unlocked. I called the police and they told me that they "don't get involved in THOSE KIND of situations" and hung up. America kicks rear end.

wait this sounds pretty weird. like why are they running around screaming slurs, this is not an effective way to break in to a home in a subtle fashion

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Iron Crowned posted:

"Congratulations! The email you reported was a simulated phishing attack initiated by your Information Security team. Good job!"

Literally the only SPAM or phishing emails I get are from them. This happens about once a week.

Man that would seriously grind my gears, wow. worst thing is there's really nothing you can do but be irritated, probably not wise to go hassle the IT folks.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I’ve definitely seen idiots online try to put wacky poo poo into the delivery instructions and similar fields. Some of that is gonna be stdh but I don’t doubt there’s people trying to include delivery people in their ~wacky~ lives. Idk if it’s worth it since drivers also probably appreciate knowing where the gently caress to go, especially if they are on strict time limita and/or paying their own gas.

I’ve seen people do that poo poo irl, too. That’s a peeve: basically no employee anywhere wants to deal with your stupid rear end pranks. I’m thinking that Pickle Rick McDonald’s harasser. Also, irl, I’ve seen a pack of dudes go into subway wearing those realistic animal masks and have one dude order while the rest glared down the staff, and at a bar I worked at we had to throw out a dozen or so idiots trying to do a flash mob.

Flash mobs are the dumbest thing. My first year of undergrad was when they started becoming "a thing", and you'd always see people in the public areas practicing or getting invitations on facebook to go pretend to be a zombie and it's just like....why? The vast majority of people seem annoyed or confused when flash mobs start doing their thing, I rarely see people actually enjoy watching/listening to them. Even if you try to understand it from the "wanting attention" thing it doesn't make sense because individuals don't really stick out in them. It just seems like pointless work that ultimately goes unappreciated and/or despised by the audience.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Flash mobs are the dumbest thing. My first year of undergrad was when they started becoming "a thing", and you'd always see people in the public areas practicing or getting invitations on facebook to go pretend to be a zombie and it's just like....why? The vast majority of people seem annoyed or confused when flash mobs start doing their thing, I rarely see people actually enjoy watching/listening to them. Even if you try to understand it from the "wanting attention" thing it doesn't make sense because individuals don't really stick out in them. It just seems like pointless work that ultimately goes unappreciated and/or despised by the audience.

They aren't looking for attention from the people physically there. They want to be a part of something that people will be talking about the next day so they can tell everyone they were involved and bask in THAT attention.

And some, I guess, genuinely just like to perform and misjudge how much others like to have a performance interrupt their day.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That's why prank phonecalls generally leave me cold. Chris Morris getting celebrities to talk Nonce Sense is both funny and makes a valuable point about trusting people just because they're famous. Annoying some guy in a call centre with your loving Arnold Schwarzenegger soundboard, who can't hang up because he's not allowed to and is watching his job performance rating drop as the call drags on, is just stupid. Stop wasting everyone's time.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Slippery posted:

wait this sounds pretty weird. like why are they running around screaming slurs, this is not an effective way to break in to a home in a subtle fashion

They went down the street doing it to each house, so I think they were trying to instigate a response rather than break into somewhere in particular. Or they were idiot teens that don't need a reason.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

They went down the street doing it to each house, so I think they were trying to instigate a response rather than break into somewhere in particular. Or they were idiot teens that don't need a reason.

Holy cow man, sorry you had to deal with that. poo poo's nuts.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
That seems a crazy thing to do in a country where the reaction they might instigate is a guy who's been fantasising about this for years bursting out the door with his tacticool shotgun blazing.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

This is a bit specific but it does annoy the poo poo out of me. When people act like whatever esoteric knowledge is commonly known in their field is also common knowledge to everyone, and anyone who doesn't know about it is an idiot.

To elaborate, I work at an aquarium. As in any place that interacts with the public, people like to bitch in the break room about whatever stupid poo poo visitors did that day. This isn't the part that bugs me. People need to vent sometimes. What did bug me was one particular gal who worked in the backup areas, bitching about a visitor not knowing the difference between a skate and a ray.

Me: Well, that's an easy mistake to make. They look similar and all-
Her (in an obnioxiously snooty superior voice: No they don't.
I felt a bit flustered at that point and ended up just reminding her that, unless you're currently going to school studying this stuff, you're liable to forget.

After the fact though, it just made me so mad. Bitch I'm a loving marine biologist and even I would be hard pressed to tell you the difference between a skate and a ray! I'm sure I learned it in school, but I've long since forgotten. To the average Joe, they look the drat same! You'd be lucky if average Joe even knew there was such a thing as a skate! And even if it were some super obvious thing, you're working in a goddamn aquarium! Part of your job is to educate people so they know the difference between a skate and a ray! Don't act like people are stupid because they don't know!

Pissed me off.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

"Drive-thru" on signs at restaurants. It makes me mad every time I see it. Why is it universally misspelled? Do they think that leaving out letters makes people read it faster? Did some rear end in a top hat get a trademark on "drive-through" back in the 1800s so everyone else had to start using a different spelling?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Less letters is cheaper.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

oldpainless posted:

Less letters is cheaper.

Also it's dumbed-down to the lowest level. A lot of people wouldn't know what "through" was.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

"Drive-thru" on signs at restaurants. It makes me mad every time I see it. Why is it universally misspelled? Do they think that leaving out letters makes people read it faster? Did some rear end in a top hat get a trademark on "drive-through" back in the 1800s so everyone else had to start using a different spelling?

Nah it's fine thru has only been around for a hundred and fifty years.

Comedy answer: Sir, this is a Wendy's drive thru

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Queen Combat posted:

Nah it's fine thru has only been around for a hundred and fifty years.

Comedy answer: Sir, this is a Wendy's drive thru

Just be thankful none of the Chicago Tribune's spellings caught on

http://www.chicagotribune.com/ct-per-flash-simplespelling-0229-20120129-story.html

I recall reading somewhere that their freight elevator in fact has a metal sign in it to this day, labelling it the Frate elevator :)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Slippery posted:

Man that would seriously grind my gears, wow. worst thing is there's really nothing you can do but be irritated, probably not wise to go hassle the IT folks.

I can't even harass them, they're in another state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Cats that don’t get socialized, raised, or otherwise treated like a pet. They’re standoffish weirdos by nature, but they get along with humans with a bare minimum of effort and why the gently caress would you own one if you don’t like or want a cat and the responsibilities it brings? They’re less high-maintenance than dogs but if you want a pretty decoration get a loving corn snake.

There is a mean rear end cat that embodies this trope at work rn and OF COURSE his name is I poo poo you not “Prince Prettyboy.”