Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

virinvictus posted:

Just got an offer of managing a kitchen- but not in a restaurant. In a grocery store. Focus is away from labour and penny pinching and instead focus is on quality produce and speed of service.

Same hours, same salary.

Currently in a restaurant as KM where I have no control on staff wages, menu, and my management hours count towards my hourly labour even though I’m supposed to be on the management team (taking a full body off of my kitchen line).

Should I take it?

Take that job and run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018
Take it and sprint. Im transitioning to a grocery kitchen and it looks tits already. Just waiting on a background check. In other great news got a phone call about a normal folk job and they will call me back if they want to proceed. My phone is off for a week starting tomorrow cause Im broke.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

loving Doordash can't stop sending us orders during a snow storm when there are zero drivers even after telling customer service earlier to stop accepting them.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

virinvictus posted:

Just got an offer of managing a kitchen- but not in a restaurant. In a grocery store. Focus is away from labour and penny pinching and instead focus is on quality produce and speed of service.

Same hours, same salary.

Currently in a restaurant as KM where I have no control on staff wages, menu, and my management hours count towards my hourly labour even though I’m supposed to be on the management team (taking a full body off of my kitchen line).

Should I take it?

Pull the ripcord and go.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Take the grocery kitchen job. The experience you'll gain running something like that will make moving up in your career so much easier. 2 years there and you could easily land a sous position at a luxury hotel or 2000+ cover catering kitchen.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Jesus christ. We call that the "hyvee retirement plan." If you somehow value your work life balance and worth as a thinking feeling human being, it's a good way to go.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Yes, take the grocery job. I'd be willing to bet it's at least a regional chain as well, meaning you're likely to get very decent benefits in addition to everything else.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It might also be a complete clusterfuck from the top down like the grocery stores and hotels I've worked in.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Whole Foods near me turns into a shitshow during lunchtime and the workers look super stressed.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Mu Zeta posted:

The Whole Foods near me turns into a shitshow during lunchtime and the workers look super stressed.

This is true and I forgot about this. It's not even Amazon's fault - prior to the acquisition by Amazon, WF tried to transition to different inventory and scoring systems, which completely upended the culture and environment that employees had loved. I was thinking about HEB in Texas when I was saying it might be a great place, they get consistently high marks from employees and I even know a couple people there who are generally happy with their jobs.

https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/whole-foods-employees-are-crying-over-stressful-new-workplace-rules-report-says

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
It’s a small local grocery store owned by two brothers. Light catering, single location.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

I was thinking about HEB in Texas when I was saying it might be a great place

I've got some bad news for you.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

While we're on this topic, anyone ever work for a Kroger's kitchen? The one by me has some deli/bakery openings that I'm fit for. I know they're unionized, which is a big plus for me, and the idea of bennies and better pay are of course appealing.

Also getting some strong hits from Compass Group, but I seem to recall someone saying "no no no" about them. Thoughts? It looks like a retirement home, so Manuel, with her hospital kitchen experience, is probably best suited to weigh in on how depressing making 50 lbs of bland mashed potatoes every day would be for me. Again, though, the idea of having a scrap of health insurance and possibly making more than $9/hr is super-tempting.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Tezcatlipoca posted:

How is HEB not great?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

JacquelineDempsey posted:

While we're on this topic, anyone ever work for a Kroger's kitchen? The one by me has some deli/bakery openings that I'm fit for. I know they're unionized, which is a big plus for me, and the idea of bennies and better pay are of course appealing.

Also getting some strong hits from Compass Group, but I seem to recall someone saying "no no no" about them. Thoughts? It looks like a retirement home, so Manuel, with her hospital kitchen experience, is probably best suited to weigh in on how depressing making 50 lbs of bland mashed potatoes every day would be for me. Again, though, the idea of having a scrap of health insurance and possibly making more than $9/hr is super-tempting.

I worked for compass years ago and I was loving miserable but ymmv

the only good part was eventually getting transferred out of the big catering kitchen to a golf course and still making my regular wages plus splitting tips as a bartender

after six months or so they offered me the manager's position at the golf course and I turned it down and left because the menu was stagnant, the ingredients were poor and the place was rife with petty theft and on-the-clock substance abuse, the couple extra bucks an hour they were offering wasn't worth being responsible for that poo poo and there was basically no chance of actually turning the place around because they essentially (c/w)ouldn't fire anyone for anything short of like, premeditated homicide

they actually wanted to keep on the previous manager who watched (and participated in) all of the above, just demote him to my existing position basically, which was it's own moment of "uh, that ain't gonna work"

they ran a bunch of properties in the immediate area, and I even got along pretty well the regional head chef & the other various people above me, but changing up the simplest loving thing required like an act of congress to pass through corporate

on the other hand, the pay & benefits were notably better than working for any of the higher end hotels & restaurants in the area, even if those were much more personally satisfying on a day-to-day basis

thinking about all this poo poo just made me really glad I got out of the industry

edit: in full disclosure, I think I was making like $13/hr at CG at the end of those six months with nominal benefits and I probably brought in an extra $1500 or so in cash tips over that period - the hyatt, omni, etc. were starting cooks at $8/hr and that was it's own little saga of shittiness which I won't get into right now, but I have no interest in ever working for them again. I don't think benefits kicked in until after a year at either of those properties.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 9, 2019

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Tezcatlipoca posted:

HEB isn't great? No place is perfect but the couple friends I have there are happy.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Democratic Pirate posted:

How is HEB not great?

It’s amazingly great. This guy is just dumb as hell.

God drat I miss HEB.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Republicans posted:

loving Doordash can't stop sending us orders during a snow storm when there are zero drivers even after telling customer service earlier to stop accepting them.

gently caress doordash. They somehow added our cafe to their site and started taking orders and charging people when we don't even have their loving terminal here. Drivers started showing up for orders we'd never received, and customers including the loving city council called me irate and demanding refunds of money we'd never even seen.

Then personally I used doordash to order some food because the only good ramen place doesn't do ubereats, they accepted my order, gave me an ETA of an hour (long time but gently caress it I was hungover and not doing anything) 55 minutes later my order is cancelled without explanation and I get a notice that my money for the order will be returned in 5-7 days and now it's 9pm and everything in my town is closed. gently caress doordash.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

pile of brown posted:

gently caress doordash. They somehow added our cafe to their site and started taking orders and charging people when we don't even have their loving terminal here. Drivers started showing up for orders we'd never received, and customers including the loving city council called me irate and demanding refunds of money we'd never even seen.

Then personally I used doordash to order some food because the only good ramen place doesn't do ubereats, they accepted my order, gave me an ETA of an hour (long time but gently caress it I was hungover and not doing anything) 55 minutes later my order is cancelled without explanation and I get a notice that my money for the order will be returned in 5-7 days and now it's 9pm and everything in my town is closed. gently caress doordash.

Yeah, I've never heard anything good about Doordash, they seem to be the worst of the bunch for food delivery. Accepting orders for restaurants that don't do carryout at all for whatever reason, accepting orders for menu items no longer available (long outdated menus), plus what you just said.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Errant Gin Monks posted:

God drat I miss HEB.

I wasn't aware that your experience was true for everyone. Maybe you can explain why none of the management cared about sanitation or food waste or how so many people failed upwards. Also, hawking freshly prepared foods as the bullshit from jars and cans they have on sale. That's just from the employee side.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I wasn't aware that your experience was true for everyone. Maybe you can explain why none of the management cared about sanitation or food waste or how so many people failed upwards. Also, hawking freshly prepared foods as the bullshit from jars and cans they have on sale. That's just from the employee side.

that's less 'heb poo poo' and more 'retail poo poo'. see also: buy x or more pricing games and raising prices Y$ only to drop it the same amount for a 'sale'

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Elizabethan Error posted:

that's less 'heb poo poo' and more 'retail poo poo'. see also: buy x or more pricing games and raising prices Y$ only to drop it the same amount for a 'sale'

Didn't know Gamestop sold ragu. Good to know.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I also didn't know people sell Things for Money.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Yeah, I've never heard anything good about Doordash, they seem to be the worst of the bunch for food delivery. Accepting orders for restaurants that don't do carryout at all for whatever reason, accepting orders for menu items no longer available (long outdated menus), plus what you just said.

I deal with Doordash, Uber Eats, and Postmates at my current job, and Postmates is by far the worst. The biggest problem with Doordash is that their tablet app is buggy as poo poo and just decides it doesn't want to work like once a week. Much as I hate to admit it, Uber Eats is the best to work with out of the three from the restaurant side as long as there's someone in the restaurant with access to the web backend to keep menu items and pricing up-to-date.

Also, as a general note to anyone ordering from a delivery service or online in general: Please, for the love of all that is holy, put a phone number down that someone will actually answer if we have a question. Please. I promise we're not gonna call you if it's not absolutely necessary to make sure you get what you actually want. The delivery driver will also thank you when he can't figure out where to loving deliver it because your drunk rear end forgot to put down the apartment number or whatever.

Coasterphreak fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Feb 10, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Errant Gin Monks posted:

God drat I miss HEB.

Man, one of my favorite things about San Antonio was Central Market. That place was a trap for my wallet, but so worth it.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

Man, one of my favorite things about San Antonio was Central Market. That place was a trap for my wallet, but so worth it.

Nah man, they're terrible because ragu.

I'm going to miss HEB/Central Market when we move to Seattle next month :(

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It's more like 20 pounds, at least for the patient line. And it's boring, but like you said. Good pay and benefits is hella nice. (Even if I have a 1500 deductible for mental health/therapy stuff before they start covering that. Thanks insurance, making that so easy :jerkbag:.) Like I'm making just under $15/hr currently in central OH. You're older than me, so money is something that matters. This is after 3ish years, coming near 4 now I think.

Also lil thank you for remembering things. :3:

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 10, 2019

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Coasterphreak posted:

I deal with Doordash, Uber Eats, and Postmates at my current job, and Postmates is by far the worst. The biggest problem with Doordash is that their tablet app is buggy as poo poo and just decides it doesn't want to work like once a week. Much as I hate to admit it, Uber Eats is the best to work with out of the three from the restaurant side as long as there's someone in the restaurant with access to the web backend to keep menu items and pricing up-to-date.

Also, as a general note to anyone ordering from a delivery service or online in general: Please, for the love of all that is holy, put a phone number down that someone will actually answer if we have a question. Please. I promise we're not gonna call you if it's not absolutely necessary to make sure you get what you actually want. The delivery driver will also thank you when he can't figure out where to loving deliver it because your drunk rear end forgot to put down the apartment number or whatever.

Also tip cash cause at least with Door Dash they gently caress over drivers p hard by paying them per delivery but applying the tip to that payment to avoid actually paying us.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

pile of brown posted:

Make some fake menus with the city council address and phone number, wait for doordash to scrape them.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I hate DoorDash simply because they spam up my city's Craigslist job ads. Like, sometimes literally over a dozen listings a day, just in the food/bev/hosp section alone. The stupid thing is they don't even change up the text, it's just the same line after line of "Deliver with DoorDash Earn Up to $18/hr". I could understand spamming if you change up the subject line to fool someone into clicking on it, but the sheer :effort: pisses me off. Eh, it makes it easy enough to scroll past, I guess.

fake edit: having thought about it after reading LunarShadow's post --- do existing drivers get a referral bonus if someone new gets hired and name-checks them? That might explain all the spamming, desperate drivers not getting tipped out and hoping for that extra $50 or whatever.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

I hate DoorDash simply because they spam up my city's Craigslist job ads. Like, sometimes literally over a dozen listings a day, just in the food/bev/hosp section alone. The stupid thing is they don't even change up the text, it's just the same line after line of "Deliver with DoorDash Earn Up to $18/hr". I could understand spamming if you change up the subject line to fool someone into clicking on it, but the sheer :effort: pisses me off. Eh, it makes it easy enough to scroll past, I guess.

fake edit: having thought about it after reading LunarShadow's post --- do existing drivers get a referral bonus if someone new gets hired and name-checks them? That might explain all the spamming, desperate drivers not getting tipped out and hoping for that extra $50 or whatever.

Yes we do, we can give out a link that if they do 150 deliveries in 3 months the person get a bonus which varies on when the person uses your code. Like I had a friend join up back in December who if they had done more than 3 deliveries I would have gotten 1500. The lowest I have seen is 250.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LunarShadow posted:

Also tip cash cause at least with Door Dash they gently caress over drivers p hard by paying them per delivery but applying the tip to that payment to avoid actually paying us.

What about GrubHub? They had a tip option. But I can keep cash around to tip if I should do that. I try to always tip cash when I go out anyways.

Also, anyone done a ServSafe recert recently? God, it's so loving boring and sad attempts at humor. A verbatim line from it, "what does fifo stand for? Sounds like a dogs name, amirite?"

At least I can do creative time keeping and say it took me 4 hours and get paid for that, instead of the one hour and change. And thank gently caress for chrome extensions letting me skip through things quickly or speed up videos.

e - "that's right, the clear glass above a salad bar is called a sneeze guard." No poo poo servsafe guy. Ugh.

e2 - "omlettes contain eggs. Which is a big 8 allergen." IT'S AN OMLETTE. IT'S MADE OF EGGS.

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 10, 2019

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Manuel Calavera posted:

What about GrubHub? They had a tip option. But I can keep cash around to tip if I should do that. I try to always tip cash when I go out anyways.

Also, anyone done a ServSafe recert recently? God, it's so loving boring and sad attempts at humor. A verbatim line from it, "what does fifo stand for? Sounds like a dogs name, amirite?"

At least I can do creative time keeping and say it took me 4 hours and get paid for that, instead of the one hour and change. And thank gently caress for chrome extensions letting me skip through things quickly or speed up videos.

e - "that's right, the clear glass above a salad bar is called a sneeze guard." No poo poo servsafe guy. Ugh.

e2 - "omlettes contain eggs. Which is a big 8 allergen." IT'S AN OMLETTE. IT'S MADE OF EGGS.

I don't know how grub hub pays their drivers. But with Door Dash they give the driver a minimum guaranteed payment of around 6 bucks per delivery. If someone tips, their tip is applied to that 6 dollars and Door dash tops it up to the minimum and unless there is a rush bonus that's all you get. And even during the rush most drivers, at least here in Atlanta, can only manage about 2 deliveries an hour if they are lucky and don't get stuck in the hell traffic. I did a shift friday and only got two deliveries done in the two hours of the dinner rush cause the roads were /hosed/.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Manuel Calavera posted:

If you told me it took you 4 hrs to do the servsafe I would think long and hard about starting a remedial program in my kitchen.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Nah man, they're terrible because ragu.

I'm going to miss HEB/Central Market when we move to Seattle next month :(

Don't know if it's the same company but we have Central Market here (and Town & Country). They're pretty dope.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Thoht posted:

Don't know if it's the same company but we have Central Market here (and Town & Country). They're pretty dope.

It is, Central Market is owned by HEB.

A dog and his man
Jan 24, 2019

by R. Guyovich
Well my like 12-13 year gig finally game to end today (last week)..... I’m sad. Really like all my Co-Workers, Customers, and how easy the job was....

It was my fault I did my threes strikes your out dumb poo poo. Just sucks.

Also they left with we’re not letting you go but we, just want you to get better.

How can you see if I’m getting better, when you don’t schedule me?!?!?! (Yes, I’m an alcoholic)

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Speaking of doordash and tipping, has anyone else been tipped by drivers when they pick up food? Twice I've had someone hand me a couple bucks on a busy night when they see I'm the only cook and all I could think of is the lesson of the widow's mite.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

It is, Central Market is owned by HEB.

HEB owns the central markets in Texas, but definitely does not own anything outside of the state. They still need to get stores in DFW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Democratic Pirate posted:

HEB owns the central markets in Texas, but definitely does not own anything outside of the state. They still need to get stores in DFW

There are HEB locations in Mexico actually, and afaik HEB owns Central Market outright. I don't know of any plans to expand beyond TX within the US though.