Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Had my first modular show on Saturday. It was good and many robot farts were to be had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fmp4q6-ODOg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Why people gotta yuk others’ yum?
Why we gotta do it to ourselves?

Had a workmate over for beatin’ on some pads and it turned into a synth workshop well into the night. Synths are fun guys, have fun :yaycloud:

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Tayter Swift posted:

Had my first modular show on Saturday. It was good and many robot farts were to be had.

robutt farts

that is all

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
You guys ever get high and listen to kaitlyn Aurelia smith

augias
Apr 7, 2009

I havent stopped since dthe buchla debachle. The debuchle

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m listening to her for the first time thanks for reading

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

ricecult posted:

On that topic, two documentaries I really love about early synths/electronic music, What the Future Sounded Like and The Delian Mode . Despite the fact that a lot of bleepy-bloopy-farty-wanky electronic music that gets made by gearheads can be lazy and not thought out, the original intent was very thought out, and there are still people who approach it seriously and make some incredible work.

Just to clarify, not sure if this was misinterpreted, but I'm not actually trying to put anyone down. I guess I'm a little sour seeing people on youtube with a $4k setup and a fancy logo, but with very little idea how to use it. In all honesty though, it's probably more jealousy than anything, because I want an expensive synth rig that I don't know how to use.

Modular is a farty and everyone's invited.

And yes, Kaityln Aurelia Smith is transcendent. I'm going to totally brag here, but she played a track of mine on her internet radio show, and it was one of the most creatively affirming things that's ever happened to me :unsmith:

Some KAS/Cianni in offering to the Mod Gods.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Plenty of dudes out there [in here] blown more than four large :retrogames:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EmyQTvFo1Y \s

e: every synth meet you'll ever enjoy-

Startyde fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 5, 2019

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Those of you who have held on to their old MicroKorgs for whatever reason might like this: a set of 128 patches that sound actually... pretty usable? Love those 8 bit ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeiKJdvcync

It's been 13 years since I got mine and I just recently dug it out of retirement to serve as an old skool MIDI controller. These make me actually feel like playing the dang thing for the first time in ages, haha

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I´m running this patch pack on my XL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIUuPMqrT48

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
Those cuckoo patches look pretty good. I bought the Microkorg like seven years ago as my first synth and was utterly baffled by it. It's very powerful and sounds great but it is not intuitive to program especially if you're totally new to synthesis. It's largely sat in the closet since then.

I also bought the Korg Microsampler years ago and haven't used it a whole lot. I came across someone on ebay selling Microsampler packs that are from the Mellotron and other tape sampler devices which is a fantastic idea for it. I ended up buying the pack and have been playing with it again it's great.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Tayter Swift posted:

This is cool and chill.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
So I decided to buy FL Studio and I'm totally diggin' it and playing around with my lil cute Arturia Minilab. I've decided I love synths and playing guitar and I want to throw all my disposable income into the black hole of music. The Minilab is TINY but I kept wanting to see what a full size is like, so I went over to Guitar Center to try some.

I almost impulse bought the Roland Juno-DS 88. It just felt so good to play.

I'll be honest, it was the weighted keys. But this thing is huge. What the hell am I going to do with 88 keys.

I tried some mid-size with semi-weighted keys and they just didn't feel nearly as nice.

Should the keys be such a big deal? I feel like I'm one of those guitar dudes who requires a custom built strat since he likes his squire.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Philthy posted:

Should the keys be such a big deal? I feel like I'm one of those guitar dudes who requires a custom built strat since he likes his squire.

Buy what you like. There isn't a right or wrong. Unless you buy some rare, cool poo poo to just stick it in a case or show it off on instagram and never use it. gently caress you if you do that.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Iris is only $29 right now.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Philthy posted:

Should the keys be such a big deal?
Feel is a personal thing, and weighted keys are very personal. Some like lighter weights, some heavier.

If you want something smaller - generally weighted keys only come in the 88 key variety. Roland does have a model called the RD-64 which is more compact. There are some other options as well, but try them - even Roland doesn't keep their weighted key technology consistent.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Philthy posted:

So I decided to buy FL Studio and I'm totally diggin' it and playing around with my lil cute Arturia Minilab. I've decided I love synths and playing guitar and I want to throw all my disposable income into the black hole of music. The Minilab is TINY but I kept wanting to see what a full size is like, so I went over to Guitar Center to try some.

I almost impulse bought the Roland Juno-DS 88. It just felt so good to play.

I'll be honest, it was the weighted keys. But this thing is huge. What the hell am I going to do with 88 keys.

I tried some mid-size with semi-weighted keys and they just didn't feel nearly as nice.

I bought a komplete kontrol S88 mk2. The weighted keys with after touch are really nice. I love it, and I can play full piano if and when I learn any songs that use them. Weighted definitely makes a difference.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
My wife, who is normally annoyed by my synth cave, suggested we make beats tonight. She loves house mostly, and actually saw Derrick Carter spin in SF last night.

So I've rigged up the following to make beeps and boops in, hopefully, a pleasing way:

Ensoniq VFX-SD
Alesis QS8
Futureretro XS (controlled by an AX73)
Boss DR880 drum machine
Novation X-Station
Roland SP808EX (can sample from the patchbay, or just be FX)
Pod XT in the FX loop
16ch mixer
loving enormous speakers

I should add a sequencer, but I don't want her to get bogged down and frustrated with workflow just yet. This is just set up so everything makes noise and is all within reach.

My shameful admission is that this is in fact the most fully baked my rig has ever been, what with the patchbay and sampler and so on. I'm usually in the GAS weeds trying out some new piece. But these things take time; my dad's 50+ years into his car collection and he's just getting things painted that were in primer since the 60s (but always running, at least).

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Here’s the deal,

I’ve been writing my first two eps and trying to really pin down my studio setup. It’s all instrumental stuff. I really dislike for software when it comes to writing and playing. I can’t get into amp sims, don’t really care for soft synths. My main trio is of instruments is guitar, bass, and synth from most to least familiar (really trying to finally get comfortable with how synths work now with my microbrute). Drums have been my issue. I bought superior drummer and while it’s great software and the newest version seems even better, I’m just not feeling it. I’m considering making a hardware drum machine of some kind my source of percussion. Instead of trying to go for realistic drums I want to try embracing the opposite end 100% for my sound. I can have all of my gear either recorded by or plugged right into my Zoom H6. That way when I boot up the iMac it’s solely for mixing/mastering this stuff.

Right now I’m considering a Volca Beats. The Volca Drum seems cool too but something about the beats really grabs my attention. Not sure if I should look into the Kick but I guess so since I don’t really “get” it. I could potentially spend more but the price point of the Korgs is unreal for the quality. Any thoughts or comments on this? I just want to get some ideas and perspective. Thanks for putting up with my obtuse questions every few months lol.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Common wisdom says the Volca Sample also makes for an excellent drum machine. You can load it up with samples from classic drum machines or just altogether sample percussive sounds and make your own kit.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

My Lovely Horse posted:

Common wisdom says the Volca Sample also makes for an excellent drum machine. You can load it up with samples from classic drum machines or just altogether sample percussive sounds and make your own kit.

I’ve considered that too but I worry it brings me too close to the option paralysis computer tied realm. I’ll dive into some YouTube videos though for sure. Thanks! I mean it would be a ton of fun to own in general.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
People seem to like the drum Pocket Operators. Choice of traditional sounds Rhythm, found sounds Office and hardware VST Tonic.

So Math fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Feb 10, 2019

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Since you are already familiar with the microbrute, have you considered one of the drumbrute?

E: Volca kick sounds nice but that is all you will get for the price: a kick (or sub-bass). If you're on a budget that money is better spent on a more complete drum box

I owned a Kick, Sample, and still own a PO rhythm. They are great but a bit small for recording beats live. The PO is also a pain to sync with other synths.

Now I mainly use a modular drum sequencer with big sturdy keys and it's night and day in terms of confort of use for making and launching sequences on the fly

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Feb 10, 2019

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The volca drum gets my vote here since you seem like you want to sound design cool percussion noises. I had the beats and the kick is nice but wasn’t really a fan of the hats or snare

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’ve considered that too but I worry it brings me too close to the option paralysis computer tied realm. I’ll dive into some YouTube videos though for sure. Thanks! I mean it would be a ton of fun to own in general.

It's frustrating, annoying way to load samples might be a feature for your kind of brain. Grab yourself a readymade sample pack that's like 4 classic drum machines put together in organized order and there'll be certain amount of effort in reloading all of them before you sink into the rabbit hole of coming up with rando singular extra sounds to cram in.

It is mad fun little thing though.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
get a DFAM

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Thanks for the info everyone :) Is the Drumbrute actually good? People like to poo poo on it and some of the demos sound a bit anemic but it’s difficult to judge without messing with one in person. I am quite fond of my Microbrute and I like the layout of the Drum.

Gringostar posted:

get a DFAM

Of everything mentioned this is probably my favorite even if it’s not exactly what I want because holy poo poo it sounds and looks awesome. I could control something like this with my Microbrute yeah? Sorry if that’s a dumb question.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
The drumbrute impact has good reviews (the first drumbrute too actually) and less classic sounds which is what you seemed to be after

e: Dfam is great but be advised it's only one voice like the volca kick so you'll have to sample it if you want different tracks.

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Feb 11, 2019

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yeah the DFAM is cool as hell but that’s definitely not what I want at this point.

Checking out the Impact now and drat the features+sound+price point are just about as perfect as it gets for what I want. The size is perfect since I like hanging out with the micro on my lap. Seems like a good match for a first drum machine too. Anything I should know about it that may not be obvious to a synth babby guitarist out of their comfort zone?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Not that I think of. I think it's a good little drumbox that will easily fit in your setup

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 11, 2019

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
Drumbrute is great, people are dumb as hell so its resell value has tanked but its got some of the best 'classic' sequencer functions and lil extras like randomize and poly rhytms. Plus ind outs and ease of use. DFAM is hoenstly novelty on its own, i think a used er-1 could outclass it for alot less money.. Just get a drumbrute and a cheap multi effect or something to treat it a bit.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Gonna compare a bunch of stuff to the Impact and if nothing seems better for me I’ll probably own one by April, yeeeeeee

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Kilometers Davis posted:

Gonna compare a bunch of stuff to the Impact and if nothing seems better for me I’ll probably own one by April, yeeeeeee

This vid seems nice to compare the two drumbrutes for a start

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXdNda3TBrA

W424
Oct 21, 2010
Heres my musing on the drummachine discussion, I’ll preface this by admitting I hate pretty much all analog drums besides bassdrums.

Volca sample, used this with my modular from when it was released until last summer when I switched to digitakt. Replaced the samples when I got it, no idea about the defaults. Limited and fiddly like all volcas but was ok.

Volca beats aka the worst volca, snare is broken out of the box and the rest of the sounds aren’t doing anything for me. Like really polite sounding.

Volca drum, only seen one short demo but would take over beats anyday.

Drumbrute sounded like poo poo on the demos, no idea about impact. Sound reminded me of microbrute I had, harsh in a bad way.

DFAM I don’t get the appeal, only 8 steps and definetly not for making main drums.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

e: Dfam is great but be advised it's only one voice like the volca kick so you'll have to sample it if you want different tracks.

it's two voices actually and with some basic internal patching you can make it into a solid snare and bass drum machine... well any combination of 2 drum sounds really

it's also an amazing bass synth but to be honest you really need to pair it with a few other modules to make it truly shine (quantizer and lfo are the big ones)

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Gringostar posted:

it's two voices actually and with some basic internal patching you can make it into a solid snare and bass drum machine... well any combination of 2 drum sounds really

it's also an amazing bass synth but to be honest you really need to pair it with a few other modules to make it truly shine (quantizer and lfo are the big ones)

It's 2 VCOs and 1 noise output but I don't think you can play them independently at the same time (or can you?) which is what I meant.

Sure through some clever patching you can make it sound like different instruments on the same output, like the Basimilus Iteritas, but unless I'm wrong it would be difficult to play it like 2 truly independant instruments. But I don't own it so maybe I'm just wrong.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
The Drumbrute Impact seems like a solid choice to me. I had the OG Drumbrute and overall quite liked it with my main complaint being the limitation of the sound palette, which the Impact seems to have addressed with the 2-modes-per-track setting as well as the distortion which replaces the filter that I never used. I absolutely love the DB sequencer, it's super easy to work with and make groovy beats easily. Setting swing per-track is also quite nice.

I wouldn't recommend the Volca Beats because it's pretty limited in its usefulness. 16-step sequencer with no pattern chaining and some of the sounds are a bit weak, as well as a lack of swing. The Sample is definitely more versatile in the sound department but it's still a 16-step sequencer and the song-mode comes with annoying limitations like not letting you mute/un-mute sounds during playback. The Drum looks pretty promising sounds-wise but I'm guessing it has the same 16-step limitation.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I have to leave town for a few days for a funeral and want a travel size musical toy to bring with me. I work in Burbank down the street from Perfect Circuit and they have a bunch of cool poo poo.

I’m thinking about getting one of the pocket operators but I’m open to suggestions. Battery power preferred

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

I have to leave town for a few days for a funeral and want a travel size musical toy to bring with me. I work in Burbank down the street from Perfect Circuit and they have a bunch of cool poo poo.

I’m thinking about getting one of the pocket operators but I’m open to suggestions. Battery power preferred

The pocket operators are great for travel, I use them on flights all the time. I recommend getting the matching case. It cost as much as the operator, but it makes it much easier to read what's on each button. If you have a Nintendo Switch, the Korg Gadget https://gadget.korg.com/nintendo_switch/ is a ton of fun for travel. The OP-Z is pretty great, too, if you have an iPhone to sync it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Chainclaw posted:

The pocket operators are great for travel, I use them on flights all the time. I recommend getting the matching case. It cost as much as the operator, but it makes it much easier to read what's on each button. If you have a Nintendo Switch, the Korg Gadget https://gadget.korg.com/nintendo_switch/ is a ton of fun for travel. The OP-Z is pretty great, too, if you have an iPhone to sync it to.

For whatever it's worth you don't need an iPhone to use the OP-Z. I have both and I have connected them twice just to see what it can do, and it hasn't held me back in any way. This goes everywhere with me and it's easy to just slip out of your pocket and play with for ten or fifteen minutes (or an hour if you're so inclined). I haven't clicked too much with the pocket operators - I've owned a few but after the initial purchase I get bored.