Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

pseudorandom posted:

I've only realized this in the past couple months, even though I've been practicing photography as a hobby for more than 10 years, but my photos usually suck because I rarely use a flash and generally feel uncomfortable doing so. However, I'm trying to improve a bit so, how often do all of you use flash for sunny, outdoor shoots? I'd naively assume that a flash outside of macro distances would barely make a difference. Will a pop-up or cheap hot-shoe flash really make a difference for things more than 6ish feet away on a sunny day?

A small bit of flash on a sunny day can go a long way to help getting rid of small shadows, especially if it's super bright, but yeah like you said it depends a bit on how far you are from the subject. Even small flashes can throw more light than you might think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Stopping into every antique store I come across finally paid off, got a Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 50mm f/4 for a song in a small town.

They also has a 80 and 180mm, as well as a Canon F1 and a handful of old rangefinders that I wasn't interested in.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Feb 3, 2019

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

What a cool find! I have the little brother of that lens the Flektogon 35/2.4, if yours takes as good pictures as mine does you will be very happy with it.

Looks like it's the black and silver 'zebra' version?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Pretty Cool Name posted:

What a cool find! I have the little brother of that lens the Flektogon 35/2.4, if yours takes as good pictures as mine does you will be very happy with it.

Looks like it's the black and silver 'zebra' version?

Yep, it's the Zebra version, sure is a handsome beast!

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I'm looking for a simple and compact point-and-shoot camera and I'm leaning towards the Sony DSC-RX100 III. I have no need for 4K or video recording and I like that it comes with the selfie screen so I'm thinking about picking this model up. Although I saw that it was released close to 5 years ago so I'm wondering if this is still a good buy?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

404notfound posted:

Using a flash in the sun usually means it'll have to have high-speed sync, so that you can use a faster shutter speed to overpower the ambient. But one thing I forgot about HSS until I tried to use it in a real-world setting for the first time is that it dramatically reduces the output of the flash. A regular hot shoe flash might not be enough, depending on how you're going to use it.

If your flash isn't powerful enough to overpower the sun at max sync speed, it's not powerful enough to do it with HSS for that very reason: it reduces the flash output to spread the flash power out over time to make sure it's on when your shutter's open.

Shoot at your fastest flash sync speed, and narrow the aperture a bit from where it would be without flash (since you're going to be putting more light on the subject to pick out highlights). If upping the output on your flash still isn't illuminating the subject as much as you need, then move the flash closer to the subject. If that's not enough, then you need more flash.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Busy Bee posted:

I'm looking for a simple and compact point-and-shoot camera and I'm leaning towards the Sony DSC-RX100 III. I have no need for 4K or video recording and I like that it comes with the selfie screen so I'm thinking about picking this model up. Although I saw that it was released close to 5 years ago so I'm wondering if this is still a good buy?

That's an excellent choice.

I have the rx100ii and it's still my go to pocket camera. I love the thing and im sure the later versions have only gotten better.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
If you can live with a single focal length the Ricoh gr ii is a great pocketable camera that is definitely a step above in terms of image quality, but the rx100 series is definitely less of a niche thing. I bought a gr ii for a trip and now use it for nearly all my shooting.

The rx100 iii is a good choice as most of the upgrades to the series probably aren't important. Mostly things like crazy burst rates, not better image quality.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I bought a Loupedeck+.
Impressions after an evening of loving about with it are:
- The custom buttons are nice to have but I couldn't remember what I set them to three minutes after configuring them, I'll never remember them from session to session.
- The control dial is a huge waste of space and needs to have more adjustments that can be mapped to it. Crop marquee size or single axis mouse movements? Really?
- Holy poo poo H/S/L wheels make so much sense.
- Setting the tone buttons to adjust the tone curve when the alt function key is pressed is big and clever.
- Likewise setting the two custom dials to split toning saturation and hue with the function button toggling between shadows and highlights is also V. Cool.
- Feels nice to use, mechanical switches and nice button actions.
- No wireless connectivity in TYOOL 2019
- You can set profiles for a whole bunch of editing apps, not just Lr.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Neat. That looks pretty interesting. I'd be interested in your thoughts on it in a few months when you feel like you've settled in to using it. It will be at least that long before I'm in a position to devote some money and effort to improving my workflow, which is a big goal for me this year.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It looks way too big to me, bigger than a keyboard.

If I went down that road I'd want something more like the x-touch mini. Which is still kinda bulky but I wouldn't have to get a new desk to fit it in.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

If I went down that road I'd want something more like the x-touch mini. Which is still kinda bulky but I wouldn't have to get a new desk to fit it in.

It's about the same size as compact keyboard. I use a laptop for editing, and between that, a Wacom tablet, and the Loupedeck, I don't feel especially cramped for space on my desk. Most of the controls can be used with one hand, so you could put it on a riser to one side of your KB/mouse area, or just have it on your lap while editing.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

xzzy posted:

There is a ton of "wasted" space on that thing but i assume its due to ergonomics.
Would be interesting to see how a compact one, with all the wasted space pruned, would feel to use.

Loupedeck to me is in the realm between "ok that looks neat" to "a piece of hardware for a single software?" but its way too big even if i did want it.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
The wasted space is mostly due to ergonomics, it's not nearly as big as people think it is. It's really designed to be navigated with one hand, while your other hand is using a tablet or a mouse. The spaces between those dials are just wide enough so that you don't catch the wrong one by mistake, but not much more than that. As for 'a piece of hardware for a single software' well, it kind of is but I spend a lot of time in that particular software, and I can set up profiles for other, similar software that I might use in the course of things too. I mean, I don't use my Wacom Intuos or my Epson V600 for anything except photo processing either. If you don't do a lot of processing, then yeah it's not going to have a lot of value to you except as a novelty, if you do a lot then it could reduce RSI symptoms and save a lot of time. The value proposition is very much dependent on how much you are willing to pay for that time saving.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I think I would be all over the Loupedeck if I didn’t do the bulk of my editing from the comfort of my couch these days. Seems appropriately sized for its purpose.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'd really love to have a Resolve micro panel for doing color work, but I've got too many other things that affect my workflow more that need buying first.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

I just ended up with one of these too. I need to figure out my workspace before it can be really useful and I'm probably not enough of a high-volume editor to really justify it but it looks really badass.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I had been looking at getting a mini photo printer for a while.

Last year I was torn between a sprocket or an instax. Pawn shop by my work had an instax SP2 printer in box that had dropped down to $65 but I found a warehouse deal sprocket for $50 and amazon had Zink paper cheap at the time so I went with a sprocket.

I really like the sprocket but I keep seeing that instax at the pawn shop every few months when I'm browsing their camera junk. Price kept dropping every few months.

Stopped in today and it was clearanced out at $30 so I took it. Battery was low but it turned on so I figured it would be good. Charged it and synced to my phone. Figured I would try printing and see if it threw an error. Turns out it had a full 10 pack of film loaded.

Then I had to run some errands after work and stopped by meijer and they have 20 packs of mini film on sale for $16 so I grabbed a few.

Then I went to Office Depot to grab something for work and they must have had Instax Mini 9s as a black friday special because they had a giant pile of them on clearance for $45. It looks like Amazon has them marked down to $50 right now as well so maybe Fuji is dumping stock for a new model?

Either way I'm at $106 total for the printer, camera and 50 shots.

Sidenote:
Are their counterfeit Instax films? I see chinese sellers on ebay with crazy prices like 400 sheets of instax mini for $25 shipped on the slow boat. Probably a scam but worst case ebay/paypal should cover if it doesn't show up.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know if being small was a requirement or not, but Canon has absolutely insane deals on the not so small but really gigantic PRO100. I see it regularly for $100 (after rebate) with a full set of ink and paper. Last holiday season it was $30 (also after rebate). They make all of their money on the ink at $120 a set but I use a third party ink provider at closer to $30 a set and it seemingly looks exactly the same. If you ever need something that can do up to 13x19 prints, check it out.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
Does anyone know if there was there any sort of standardization for old shutter release cables? I kind of want to try to find one for my old Voightlander Bessa, but there doesn't seem to be any Voightlander-specific stuff on ebay. Are there any standard sizes I could try looking for?

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Yes there is. Almost all cable releases are the conical threaded type. Inexpensive and readily available.

Really old cameras might use the "Leica Nipple" type. Harder to find.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 9, 2019

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

What's the lens on that Kiev? None of mine have yellow markings so I'm curious.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Its just the regular Volna-3. The factory may not have had any green paint at the time at was produced and made do with whatever they could scrounge up :ussr:.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Ah yeah, I got an earlier kit lens with mine, a Vega 90 f/2.8, haven't seen the standard 80 before.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I'm trying to find a camera to stream with that doesn't look terrible.

I spent ~$80-90 on a webcam and the picture is awful, and then I saw someone doing a nws "yoga" video on twitch and noticed they had much better video quality than I do. All I can tell is they apparently weren't using a webcam?

I don't mind spending a lot, I just want to have good video quality.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What environment are you trying to stream in? Light is going to be your biggest concern, the more available (and controlled) light the better quality you're going to get. Webcams... aren't great. They're designed for sitting on top of a computer and shooting a close up subject and quality isn't generally their main concern.

Post what you're trying to achieve and your budget, and it'll be easier for people to give you more specific answers.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

What environment are you trying to stream in? Light is going to be your biggest concern, the more available (and controlled) light the better quality you're going to get. Webcams... aren't great. They're designed for sitting on top of a computer and shooting a close up subject and quality isn't generally their main concern.

Post what you're trying to achieve and your budget, and it'll be easier for people to give you more specific answers.

It's all of this, yeah. Having good light is a necessity. Even the best of cameras can only do so much if your own face isn't lit that well.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Wonder how good flagship smartphones are for this kind of use nowadays.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have experience with Canon crafting printers? I'd like to be able to print 7x10 borderless, with print quality that approaches what I get from a Pixma Pro 100. Probably don't need 13x19 capability since I have that covered with the Pixma 100 and Pixma 10.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

President Beep posted:

Wonder how good flagship smartphones are for this kind of use nowadays.

Pretty drat good, all things considered

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Generally the Logictech C9XX/x family are the recommended ones. But as other posters point out, lighting is super important. Also having enough upload speed so you don't have to be super aggressive with compression can be something to look at.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

oliveoil posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I'm trying to find a camera to stream with that doesn't look terrible.

I spent ~$80-90 on a webcam and the picture is awful, and then I saw someone doing a nws "yoga" video on twitch and noticed they had much better video quality than I do. All I can tell is they apparently weren't using a webcam?

I don't mind spending a lot, I just want to have good video quality.

A canon c100 is what many pros use. Any of these will be a big step up from a web cam. A DSLR with tethering like the d5600 or t7i. Or a mirrorless camera like a GH5 or G85

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Thank you all for the advice! :)

lampey posted:

A canon c100 is what many pros use. Any of these will be a big step up from a web cam. A DSLR with tethering like the d5600 or t7i. Or a mirrorless camera like a GH5 or G85

I've seen these names before and I'm not sure which to go for. It's hard to tell what the different specs will mean for me in particular when it comes to streaming. E.g., I've read that some cameras can overheat, and it's not clear what kind of lens I should use.

If you (or anyone else here) think there's an obvious good choice, my max budget is about $2,000. Obviously glad to go lower if possible. :)

Thanks again!

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Did more reading. Looks like GH5 will be a good fit for streaming. Thanks again! :)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone ever used gear from iFootage?

I've been wanting to take the plunge on some carbon legs, with a bowl if possible. There's a few options floating around out there but bowls tend to put you into film territory and the markup is prohibitive. But then I stumbled on this iFootage stuff and they have by far the lowest prices I've ever seen on such a configuration, to the point I'm a little suspicious.

https://www.ifootagegear.com/products/gazelle-fastbowl

Video guys seem to review their beefier legs rather well so maybe I'm just being paranoid.

I think I'd rather have twist locks than clamps but it's not a deal breaker for me.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

I got a set of their video monopods I bought last summer and love it. I use it mainly as an extension for my gimbal and it sees a lot of action as a makeshift crane and it works wonders.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Does anyone happen to know when the next Adorama sale usually is? I'm looking to pick up a couple of Flashpoint Evolv 200's, and was looking to save a few bucks.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Myrmidongs posted:

Does anyone happen to know when the next Adorama sale usually is? I'm looking to pick up a couple of Flashpoint Evolv 200's, and was looking to save a few bucks.

I've gotten like 4-5 emails from them in the last week. I think they're mostly doing sales by brand/mount, but I'm sure there will be something around st patrick's day.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Bag thread seems to be archived so I'll ask here.

Looking for some recommendations for a small-ish bag that can hold an XPro1 with 35mm (possibly enough room to hold a small fisheye rokinon) and a 10" iPad Pro. I'd like to stay away from photo backpacks and maybe giant messenger type bags. I was browsing Amazon for some smaller cross-shoulder bags but nothing really stands out to me.

Going to Japan for a month and last time I was there I hated carrying my camera around on a strap, though didn't want to be without it. I figure some kind of bag where camera is easily accessible would be great. Since I'll be on my feet all day possibly in crowded areas I'm hoping to minimize the size and make it nondescript.

I'll end up buying something sight unseen if it gets to it, but I figured maybe you guys would be able to recommend something if this sounds familiar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Martytoof posted:

Bag thread seems to be archived so I'll ask here.

Looking for some recommendations for a small-ish bag that can hold an XPro1 with 35mm (possibly enough room to hold a small fisheye rokinon) and a 10" iPad Pro. I'd like to stay away from photo backpacks and maybe giant messenger type bags. I was browsing Amazon for some smaller cross-shoulder bags but nothing really stands out to me.

Going to Japan for a month and last time I was there I hated carrying my camera around on a strap, though didn't want to be without it. I figure some kind of bag where camera is easily accessible would be great. Since I'll be on my feet all day possibly in crowded areas I'm hoping to minimize the size and make it nondescript.

I'll end up buying something sight unseen if it gets to it, but I figured maybe you guys would be able to recommend something if this sounds familiar.

Peak Design Everyday Sling has a tablet compartment and modular camera compartment that's kinda designed for mirrorless. Comes in two sizes.