Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

IMJack posted:

I'm Batfox.

Bat-eared fox. Whatever.

Bat eared fox is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
https://i.imgur.com/zUD6K4T.mp4

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

https://i.imgur.com/yipLaRp.mp4
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/TallTangibleHammerheadshark-mobile.mp4
turn the sound on for the second
https://twitter.com/catsu/status/1094584460350287873

Sininu has a new favorite as of 14:17 on Feb 10, 2019

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/emzoticofficial/status/1094328370064707588

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

That? Oh that’s my travel-bat.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.
https://i.imgur.com/azxtXde.mp4

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Liking the new Shadow Of The Colossus remake.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/CuriousZelda/status/1094696919526502400

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

:3: Love those twitchy ears

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Do bats get that big, that thing is huge. It looks like a flying dog or a gargoyle

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Phlegmish posted:

Do bats get that big, that thing is huge. It looks like a flying dog or a gargoyle

Fruit bats get huge, yeah.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Phlegmish posted:

They're called Flying Foxes for a reason, they only weight 2-3 lbs, but they can have a wingspan greater than 5 feet.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Phlegmish posted:

Flying foxes definitely get that big. They chill in the trees around where I live and are awesome.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
They're the sweetest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdMeQWv2HJw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B0UPtEpOQc

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
https://i.imgur.com/sGzalPh.gifv

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/ZooBoooK/status/1094138329195413505

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

That whole channel is a pro click. Lots and lots of adorable sky puppies. :kimchi:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
If that duck had arms it wouldn't have that problem.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/AMAZlNGNATURE/status/1094741797228679169

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
One thing I sometimes think about about animals is, is it right to assign the concepts like happiness to their behaviors? Or is it defining their most inner feelings not on their terms, but ours?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Samurai Sanders posted:

One thing I sometimes think about about animals is, is it right to assign the concepts like happiness to their behaviors? Or is it defining their most inner feelings not on their terms, but ours?

Animals get itchy, few can scratch them well with their paws/hooves, so yes I'm pretty sure they are ecstatic.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
You know how it feels good to receive a massage.

Thats all animals ever times 1 billion

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

I love the way she tags in the other one. "Mabel! Your go!"

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Samurai Sanders posted:

Honestly I'd say the opposite approach is much worse

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

Write out a definition of "happy" for yourself, but exclude the words "people" or "human". Or check out a dictionary definition and do the same. Then observe:

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Is this a set piece for the unfilmed episodes of Pushing Daisies?

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Samurai Sanders posted:

A lot of pretty notable animal cognition science went more or less completely untouched for an extended period of time thanks to the allergy a lot of old school scientists had towards anthropomorphizing their subjects. While this is fine, to a degree - animals are not people, etc - there is a vast gulf between using 'happy' to describe an animal's behaviour, and assuming that 'happy' means for the animal what it explicitly means for us. And even then, it's not like the difference between human and animal happiness is some vast chasm that can't possibly be navigated, especially for other herd/pack animals.

Ex: Are we socializing, well fed, moving around, surrounded by loved ones? Then we tend to be happier. Are we sad when one of those loved ones die? Yes. It's not hard, or even out of bounds, to apply this to a wild wolf pack. Wolves are known to mourn their dead (low throated howl), and some mates are known to travel great distances to find a partner that vanished overnight, usually thanks to being shot. IIRC, one of the most notorious female alphas in Yellowstone was shot dead because she tried to visit the site where her mate was killed by a hunter. And it's not just pack animals. Cat owners have continuously observed that if you have a bonded pair of cats, and one dies, the surviving cat tends to get depressed in very tangible ways (ex: an otherwise healthy animal suddenly refusing to groom themselves/eating sparingly where before they had a healthy appetite/etc).

To be honest, robbing animals of the emotion that we can define and relate to is a way of diminishing the responses they have to outside stimulus. All it does is make us feel better about the fact that we continually inflict pain on any given species (those humans that do, anyway), and insisting that it's 'alien' has only stymied efforts to further research animal emotion and cognition.

EDIT: this isn't an excuse to just assume that a behaviour actually is 'happy' as opposed to 'that's a stress response,' but that's why ethology exists as a means of navigating what behaviour means what. If you want to know why an animal is behaving the way it is, look up an ethologist that studies the species and read some stuff! Curiosity is good. Still, there are some examples, like a cow being positively stimulated by the opportunity to get dem scritches, that are kind of irrefutable.

EDIT 2: Last thing, I promise, but: this isn't necessarily a bad thing to wonder about. It can, however, be taken to extremes that can be counterproductive.

Old Boot has a new favorite as of 04:16 on Feb 11, 2019

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's a stimulus that they will willingly go back to, that probably correlates to elevated levels of dopamine or serotonin or whatever. Whether the cow is actually thinking "this is loving awesome" is unknowable, but may or may not be important anyway.

Edit: Old Boot answered that better, so have a cute purring cougar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXhfZRE08ko

tudabee has a new favorite as of 04:23 on Feb 11, 2019

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Old Boot posted:

A lot of pretty notable animal cognition science went more or less completely untouched for an extended period of time thanks to the allergy a lot of old school scientists had towards anthropomorphizing their subjects. While this is fine, to a degree - animals are not people, etc - there is a vast gulf between using 'happy' to describe an animal's behaviour, and assuming that 'happy' means for the animal what it explicitly means for us. And even then, it's not like the difference between human and animal happiness is some vast chasm that can't possibly be navigated, especially for other herd/pack animals.

Ex: Are we socializing, well fed, moving around, surrounded by loved ones? Then we tend to be happier. Are we sad when one of those loved ones die? Yes. It's not hard, or even out of bounds, to apply this to a wild wolf pack. Wolves are known to mourn their dead (low throated howl), and some mates are known to travel great distances to find a partner that vanished overnight, usually thanks to being shot. IIRC, one of the most notorious female alphas in Yellowstone was shot dead because she tried to visit the site where her mate was killed by a hunter. And it's not just pack animals. Cat owners have continuously observed that if you have a bonded pair of cats, and one dies, the surviving cat tends to get depressed in very tangible ways (ex: an otherwise healthy animal suddenly refusing to groom themselves/eating sparingly where before they had a healthy appetite/etc).

To be honest, robbing animals of the emotion that we can define and relate to is a way of diminishing the responses they have to outside stimulus. All it does is make us feel better about the fact that we continually inflict pain on any given species (those humans that do, anyway), and insisting that it's 'alien' has only stymied efforts to further research animal emotion and cognition.

EDIT: this isn't an excuse to just assume that a behaviour actually is 'happy' as opposed to 'that's a stress response,' but that's why ethology exists as a means of navigating what behaviour means what. If you want to know why an animal is behaving the way it is, look up an ethologist that studies the species and read some stuff! Curiosity is good. Still, there are some examples, like a cow being positively stimulated by the opportunity to get dem scritches, that are kind of irrefutable.

EDIT 2: Last thing, I promise, but: this isn't necessarily a bad thing to wonder about. It can, however, be taken to extremes that can be counterproductive.
That's interesting. I had no idea that my idea had that kind of history in research.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
One of the problems was that there was an inherent assumption that humans and animals were very, very different. In fact it was common to believe that humans weren't even animals at all. The assumption was that we were different enough given our ability to think, reason, and feel. Animals were running primarily on autopilot based on their hardware. Animals couldn't really feel the way we understood it and I mean, we teach each other poo poo and use tools!

Then when we started looking more closely a hell of a lot of the same brain hardware in animals also exists in us. Our brains are literally just ape brains but the biggest ape brains you can find. We aren't special and we aren't all that different. Tool use isn't even specific to humans nor is teaching. The we go on to find out that people don't even really have as much free will as we like to think we do. We aren't really much more than very fancy chimps that figured out how to write things down.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

It seems wronger to assume they don't have emotions such as happiness tbh. Lets assume they do until we find a way to find out.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Bored posted:

Is this a set piece for the unfilmed episodes of Pushing Daisies?

That was the greatest show, so thanks for making me think of it again. Dandelion high five!

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Samurai Sanders posted:

That's interesting. I had no idea that my idea had that kind of history in research.

Oh yeah, it's been hotly debated for a long, long time. As an example, Jane Goodall took a lot of heat for anthropomorphizing chimps in her writings and research, which, on its face, sounds-- well. See what ToxicSlurpee said.

Don't get me wrong, there are bad kinds of anthropomorphizing (furry joke goes here), and there are still holdouts that subscribe to the old way of thinking, but they're starting to get phased out as time goes on, and more research continues to be done. There's a book, Animal Wise, that has a lot of information about the debate, as well as advances that have been made in the field of cognition. If you're curious to learn more, check it out, and if you prefer audiobooks, good news! The audiobook version is quite good.

Fair warning, though: the Dolphin Jerkoff Story is in there. ...But, I mean, for as loving absurd as that story was/as highly questionable as that """"study"""" happened to be, it does actually apply to the overall topic.

vvvv interestingly enough, IIRC, the dolphin thing was partly based on linguistics, it just went sharply off the rails (EDIT: I'm wrong, sort of) vvvv

Old Boot has a new favorite as of 05:03 on Feb 11, 2019

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Being trained as a linguist the only experience I had was reading studies of teaching animals human language and interpreting their communication ability in terms of ours, when it is wonderful all on its own and should be studied that way. That's how I was thinking about this.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This poor kitty is heavily inbread. :ohdear:

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Slippery posted:

That was the greatest show, so thanks for making me think of it again. Dandelion high five!

Bored has a new favorite as of 07:39 on Feb 11, 2019

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/VN9ZaRW.mp4

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://i.imgur.com/Eh3ifeE.gifv

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Weird looking cat you got there

Adbot