Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Very often the game doesn't even bother to load the blue hologram for me. But the vendor selling spacesuit tech will always have a tube behind them that you can interact with for inventory upgrades once per station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Sentinels will inevitably go hostile and attack you if they see you kill or destroy anything, and if they're investigating you but haven't gone red yet, that just means you have time to run off so that they forget about you instead of attacking.

Sentinels don't seem to give a gently caress about excavation, but I believe they get pissed if your excavation undercuts and destroys some trees or rocks or whatever.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Sentinels will see the object being mined and then rush to it, and then look for whoever is mining it. However they have limited visual range and aren't able to trace a mining beam to the player.

So if you're annoyed with sentinels freaking out at you for mining, just mine at a long range and they won't be able to tell you're doing it. They'll stay in a loop of wondering who's doing the mining with a question mark over their head, but will forget about it as soon as you stop mining or as soon as the object is depleted.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So I went to the fantastic Video Games exhibition at the Victoria & Albert Museum in London the other day, and there’s a NMS section to it. I took a ton of pics, if anyone wants to see.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, drop pods are useless and a waste of time. Find the location, get all the way over there, find you don’t have everything you need to fix it, and then it’ll hang around, cluttering up your UI for as long as you’re in that system.

Iirc, they always have the same materials to fix them - cobalt, sodium lvl 2, and antimatter. If you keep a stash of all those in your ship, then you’re set.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Dalaram posted:

Iirc, they always have the same materials to fix them - cobalt, sodium lvl 2, and antimatter. If you keep a stash of all those in your ship, then you’re set.

It's been a long time but literally every drop pod I messed with had a cave with cobalt rocks within line of sight. Probably due to the way points of interest get placed causing the ground under them being tunneled out and intersecting a cave system. As long as you have a portable refiner and some metal to make antimatter with you a drop pod can be knocked out pretty easily.

Still not worth tracking them down after the first few though, and then only to get the first few cargo slots while you're still space poor.

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

So I went to the fantastic Video Games exhibition at the Victoria & Albert Museum in London the other day, and there’s a NMS section to it. I took a ton of pics, if anyone wants to see.

Huh! That is actually pretty cool. Thanks for the pictures!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Sneaky Kettle posted:

Huh! That is actually pretty cool. Thanks for the pictures!

I’ve got a load more, that’s just a taster!

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I just found a pretty cool-looking monolith:

This was originally partially embedded into that cliff, which was a sheer, featureless wall. I dug out the back two knowledge stones, which resulted in this.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Oh, and I just discovered, if you climb down a ladder until you almost get off, then go back up, you start climbing in air and can go all the way to space. Good programming.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I once landed at a trading post built out of a cliff but I landed before the engine drew the cliff so my ship was trapped in a giant chunk of rock.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Question for you all, I headed to grab this experimental multi tool:

https://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Trace_of_Itvaler-III

I even found the minor settlement he conveniently put a comm station at. However, while it is an S class, it's a small rifle rather than an experimental. I reloaded my autosave/manual save and it seems to exclusively have this one multitool.

Is that just a sign that the spawn has been changed? Or am I missing something else?

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

Blindeye posted:

Question for you all, I headed to grab this experimental multi tool:

https://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Trace_of_Itvaler-III

I even found the minor settlement he conveniently put a comm station at. However, while it is an S class, it's a small rifle rather than an experimental. I reloaded my autosave/manual save and it seems to exclusively have this one multitool.

Is that just a sign that the spawn has been changed? Or am I missing something else?

I am far from a MT expert, but I have read a lot that says you need to save and reload on a different planet, then go to the tool.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.
Was loving around on some moon and dug this up

I should probably sell it right? I think that's the only point of these?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yeah - selling or keeping in a chest somewhere just to feel good about the rng.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

So I've made my first ~10M fairly easily by using the Oxygen/Chlorine refiner trick, but now I'm looking for something even more lucrative but still reliable. Is frigate expeditions the way to go? I've bought 4-5 C-class frigates of various types so far, but I don't know which type of missions I should be aiming for.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Is this game still being updated in the way it used to be? Kinda lost track on this one.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

John F Bennett posted:

Is this game still being updated in the way it used to be? Kinda lost track on this one.

I was just wondering that. I’ve been distracted recently by Hitman on PS+, so NMS hasn’t been on my radar for a bit.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Last update was in December. They been quiet since.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I think that it will be safe to assume the worst if they remain quiet through the anniversary period, since a bunch of their stuff usually popped up around then. There was datamined stuff in the last update that hinted at the next possible big patch IIRC (something to do with ship customization, or was I dreaming that?) They also did a massive survey and seemed to indicate that they were looking into bug fixes and quality of life issues after the flurry of content updates were done.

I got burned out on the game for no other reason than the quality of life issues and to a much lesser extent, bugs. I could probably live with most of the bugs that pop up (though base building bugs might be too much), but the QoL stuff completely kills the game for me.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 5, 2019

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The last time they went quiet for this long, it was while they were making the huge update, and the game has had a crazy tail of sales and interest so I'm like 99% sure there's at least one more big update

Or they've started on NMS2 :getin:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Yeah. My hope is that they are busy on another big one for the next anniversary, but I am a little worried since I thought one of the things they said they were going to do was more regularly keep the community updated.

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

Comrade Koba posted:

So I've made my first ~10M fairly easily by using the Oxygen/Chlorine refiner trick, but now I'm looking for something even more lucrative but still reliable. Is frigate expeditions the way to go? I've bought 4-5 C-class frigates of various types so far, but I don't know which type of missions I should be aiming for.

Frigate missions can be quite lucrative. Choose ones that work well with the frigates you have. Mining missions for the industrial frigates, trade for the trade frigates, etc... I've had missions that pull in 3 million units, plus 3 Cryo pumps and things like hot ice all in one mission. It can add up quickly.
For balanced missions I usually send one of each frigate.

Other than that, things like farming can be lucrative. Liquid explosive (800k each) and circuit boards (900k each) can be made with only plants you can grow.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

I'm struggling with a purpose to play anymore, given how tedious it is to find the perfect ship ™ and the repetitive feel of the game. Is there some reason to accumulate riches that I've missed?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

slicing up eyeballs posted:

I'm struggling with a purpose to play anymore, given how tedious it is to find the perfect ship ™ and the repetitive feel of the game. Is there some reason to accumulate riches that I've missed?

Not really. The game is pretty shallow. If you've already seen everything and the only thing left to do is scour the universe for the best stuff it's probably time to pack it in until they add more content.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Do permadeath players only play with other permadeath players?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I gave up on permadeath once they removed the ability to place a base on the far side of a portal. Like hell I'm going to manually fly to the center of the galaxy.

As far as I know they don't lock all perma people into playing only with each other though. The available pool of multiplayer sessions would be pretty small.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
My first permadeath character died twenty minutes into the game when my ship got stuck on a building.

I've been doing another one for the cheevo but it also feels weirdly lucky that I haven't had any "lol u deid" bugs happen.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Thundarr posted:

I gave up on permadeath once they removed the ability to place a base on the far side of a portal. Like hell I'm going to manually fly to the center of the galaxy.

Oh so that is intentional, haha. I used a portal to get to a system very close to the centre of the galaxy and was confused when I couldn't put up a base or access the galaxy map. So you're only meant to visit the other end of a portal and then go back? Seems dumb.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Oh wow, I thought that was only for the community event portals. Didn't know that applied to any portal taken. That's unfortunate, but it is pretty consistent with the quality of life in this game.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I think they said something about it related to the community events but you still can't do it even now, and it's been many months since it last worked, so I suspect it's here to stay. It makes moving around the galaxy way way more annoying unless you can get into a group with somebody who is already where you want to go. I went through the trouble of unlocking portals, let me use them!

Or at least give me a portal address made entirely of the first two symbols that's close to the core and has a space station I can add to my teleport list, I'd at least consider that.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

It's been a while, but I think the portal equivalent of 111-111-1111 gets you like 7000ly from the core, doesn't it?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

https://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Galaxy_Center

There's a couple that will get you close, I'm not sure what you have to do from there.

edit: wait, no...the first one on that page brings you to the starting galaxy, the second one brings you close to the centre (I think)

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

slicing up eyeballs posted:

It's been a while, but I think the portal equivalent of 111-111-1111 gets you like 7000ly from the core, doesn't it?

Yes, but if you travel there via portal you can't leave the system or put a base there. It also has no space station. So basically, the all 1s portal is now useless for everything but leaving a message orb behind.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
IIRC you can still kind of work around it by having a friend portal to a location and then joining their game to plop down a base.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

Oh butts, I thought it had a space station. Glad I've got a base there for if/when I ever feel like leaving Euclid

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
If you want to get closer in the way the game wants you to use black holes. If you do the Atlas Path you can see them on the map.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If you want to get closer in the way the game wants you to use black holes. If you do the Atlas Path you can see them on the map.

Fair warning: doing it this way takes approximately a billion loving years, even with a fast as gently caress ship

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Fair warning: doing it this way takes approximately a billion loving years, even with a fast as gently caress ship

light or terran?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Angry Diplomat posted:

The Atlas Path is also pretty boring, all told. I think I mostly just yelled at it until it demanded a fancy rock then I could see black holes.