Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

meltie posted:

When I get poo poo like this it's always been a dodgy ground somewhere.

That's not a bad idea. I've been chasing the symptom, but I may be looking in the wrong place for the cause.

Keep in mind that I blew that 30amp fuse very early on. That 30amp fuse distributed power to some of these devices... I may need to do some digging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Does the problem still go away if you remove the IBS module again? I'd focus heavily on any wiring specific to it first.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

IOwnCalculus posted:

Does the problem still go away if you remove the IBS module again? I'd focus heavily on any wiring specific to it first.

I haven't unplugged it yet, but I'm sure it'll all go away other than the "IBS not found" error. Thing about it is that the IBS IS the negative battery cable... it's a little electronic addon connected to the terminal. :shrug:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

That's not a bad idea. I've been chasing the symptom, but I may be looking in the wrong place for the cause.

Keep in mind that I blew that 30amp fuse very early on. That 30amp fuse distributed power to some of these devices... I may need to do some digging.

30A is a lot of current.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

meatpimp posted:

I haven't unplugged it yet, but I'm sure it'll all go away other than the "IBS not found" error. Thing about it is that the IBS IS the negative battery cable... it's a little electronic addon connected to the terminal. :shrug:

loving hell dude.

Clearly the soul of a German engineer is powered by pure schadenfreude.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Seat Safety Switch posted:

30A is a lot of current.

Yup, and something ate it. If I had to guess, knowing what I've already checked out, it'd be either the alternator or the water pump. Keep in mind that the main power wire for the water pump is fused itself at 50amps... it's a monster of a motor. It's also virtually inaccessible without significant disassembly.

IOwnCalculus posted:

loving hell dude.

Clearly the soul of a German engineer is powered by pure schadenfreude.

The Germans have funny ways to show how much they hate us.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

meatpimp posted:

The Germans have funny ways to show how much they hate us.

Could be worse.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

meltie posted:

When I get poo poo like this it's always been a dodgy ground somewhere.

I actually thought “ground zero” was an intentional pun due to exactly this.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
as someone who has spent too much time thinking about, working on and driving 80s corollas, that thing looks p funny to me. might be a tercel or similar (iirc they were badged as corolla tercel in seppolandia). was it north south fwd? corollas were either rwd or transverse fwd. they also got a motors which means they had actual power compared to the extremely terrible k series

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

First reply in this thread. Could it be prescient?

big dong wanter posted:

as someone who has spent too much time thinking about, working on and driving 80s corollas, that thing looks p funny to me. might be a tercel or similar (iirc they were badged as corolla tercel in seppolandia). was it north south fwd? corollas were either rwd or transverse fwd. they also got a motors which means they had actual power compared to the extremely terrible k series

You're right, it was a Toyota Corolla Tercel, as they were sold in the US, somewhere around 1982, iirc.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 11, 2019

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Meatpimp - a buddy of mine w/ a 328i x-drive has shown me something that piqued my interest...

xDelete - essentially a way to disengage the clutches in the center diff and make the car effectively RWD on demand.

He's holding out for an iOS build, and so far those that have bought in seem to be happy - but it almost seems like snake-oil to me. I don't know enough about the drivetrain to know if you can truly uncouple the working components that drive the front wheels and not cause excessive wear/issues down the line due to forcing this interaction (or lack thereof).

What I'm saying is, you should buy this. For science. Or for further burnouts in your feb chat thread.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Meatpimp - a buddy of mine w/ a 328i x-drive has shown me something that piqued my interest...

xDelete - essentially a way to disengage the clutches in the center diff and make the car effectively RWD on demand.

He's holding out for an iOS build, and so far those that have bought in seem to be happy - but it almost seems like snake-oil to me. I don't know enough about the drivetrain to know if you can truly uncouple the working components that drive the front wheels and not cause excessive wear/issues down the line due to forcing this interaction (or lack thereof).

What I'm saying is, you should buy this. For science. Or for further burnouts in your feb chat thread.

That's amazing and I hadn't heard about it yet. It's definitely on my to-do list once I get the rest of it sorted (and if it doesn't blow up and end up junked). $150 is on the high end of what I think something like that'd be worth, but I'll wait until Google has some kind of play store sale and pick it up.

Definitely a :getin: app.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Neat. In theory it shouldn't cause issues since you're just electronically telling the clutch pack to stay open. If I were running it a lot, I'd probably want to check the transfer case oil at a certain point, but the idea should be less wear since it's open.

I skimmed some of the e90post comments, and there's an interesting balance - it'll change the steering to be less understeer, which makes sense, but technically the car will be marginally slower since you're losing front drive grip (see the video about the stick shift M2 vs the auto 340xi). They're claiming a 30hp increase since you're dropping drivetrain losses a bit, that's maybe a bit optimistic.

I vote Meatpimp tries it out, the F series version isn't out yet. :P

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Alarbus posted:

Neat. In theory it shouldn't cause issues since you're just electronically telling the clutch pack to stay open. If I were running it a lot, I'd probably want to check the transfer case oil at a certain point, but the idea should be less wear since it's open.

I skimmed some of the e90post comments, and there's an interesting balance - it'll change the steering to be less understeer, which makes sense, but technically the car will be marginally slower since you're losing front drive grip (see the video about the stick shift M2 vs the auto 340xi). They're claiming a 30hp increase since you're dropping drivetrain losses a bit, that's maybe a bit optimistic.

I vote Meatpimp tries it out, the F series version isn't out yet. :P

Logically, the less wear makes sense, but it's a german car. I'm sure the engineers have found a way to screw this up somehow.

I still have no idea what I want for a fun car when I get to a point that I can have one, and this almost makes me want to get a 335i and the app so it could be year round fun.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Alarbus posted:

They're claiming a 30hp increase since you're dropping drivetrain losses a bit, that's maybe a bit optimistic.

I'd wager that a back to back dyno run would show this result, but we don't race dynos. On a real road, the car still has to accelerate everything attached to it. I'm assuming that this is only completely uncoupling the front driveshaft from the transfer case - so even though the car isn't driving the front wheels directly, the wheels are still attached to the hubs, CVs, differential, and front driveshaft, all of which still consume some energy to spin up.

Their video even shows the front wheels completely stationary on the RWD pull.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

The only thing keeping me from jumping on it is a lack of understanding of the actual transfer case operation.

The E60/61 transfer case has a worm gear that actuates... something... that wears out and needs to be replaced. I thought that was what changed the ratio of F/R power distribution, I hadn't seen clutch pack references until the app description.

So I need to know what that worm gear actually does and if this app decreases or increases wear on it.

Edit: From Wikipedia "The wet clutch is applied through a high speed electric servo motor turning a cam-shaped actuator disc."

So that servo actuator controls things, the worm gear is part of that actuator system. How does this app actually work? I'm assuming it runs the cam mechanism to one extreme. Does that effect longevity? (Although on this car, longevity could be something that isn't very long...)

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 12, 2019

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

meatpimp posted:

The only thing keeping me from jumping on it is a lack of understanding of the actual transfer case operation.

The E60/61 transfer case has a worm gear that actuates... something... that wears out and needs to be replaced. I thought that was what changed the ratio of F/R power distribution, I hadn't seen clutch pack references until the app description.

So I need to know what that worm gear actually does and if this app decreases or increases wear on it.

Edit: From Wikipedia "The wet clutch is applied through a high speed electric servo motor turning a cam-shaped actuator disc."

So that servo actuator controls things, the worm gear is part of that actuator system. How does this app actually work? I'm assuming it runs the cam mechanism to one extreme. Does that effect longevity? (Although on this car, longevity could be something that isn't very long...)

The powertrain PDF explains the difference between the F48 and F25, with the F48 having the new fwd bias awd, and the F25 having the one the rest of us have (X1). https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1177240

I went to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_xDrive and started looking at sources.

Alarbus fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 12, 2019

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Sometimes I need the "SELF CONTROL" banner on the windshield like the Gorester had.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Yup. It transforms the car. It's worthless with traction control on, partial throttle is nothing but traction control. Turning that off and it's lovely.

Full-on RWD. Nice slides around corners, it's wet right now, so first and second gear is all wheelspin.

It's beautiful. :yeshaha:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
That's great. Did you use a wired OBDII connector, or bluetooth?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Alarbus posted:

That's great. Did you use a wired OBDII connector, or bluetooth?

Wired. I've got a cable that has worked with everything I've thrown at it, so I always try that first.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Do a burnout

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Previa_fun posted:

Do a burnout

Soon.™

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I love you.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Not an emptyquote.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

bolind posted:

Not an emptyquote.

:love:

But guys, now I need an M5 rear diff so I can do a proper donut instead of a 1 wheel peel... (really only looks like that, outside wheel was spinning, just not enough to smoke like the inside, straight line it leaves elevenseses)

Previa_fun posted:

Do a burnout

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lHvgj2THB8

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Or you could just weld the diff.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Adiabatic posted:

Or you could just weld the diff.

Better option, honestly.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

meatpimp posted:

Better option, honestly.

Do it you won't.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Adiabatic posted:

Do it you won't.

Narrator: He won't.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

”Narrator” posted:

...he did.

:allears:

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

My man.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Trip report on RWD: Results are mixed.

Wheelspin on demand is great, but can also be annoying. Starting out is a pain, especially if you're turning. 30mph and punch it? Wheelspin. It reminds me of my old 18+psi Miata. Of course it's fun, but it's not as fast as when all 4 tires dig in and grab.

Also, the traction control has 3 levels. Default is overly-nanny. The first step down is nice, allows a bit of wheelspin before shutting the throttle, but you can't use cruise control with it. :(

Fast or hoon, the eternal question.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
What tires do you have? I'm considering trying this when I switch to my summer tires, which will likely need to be replaced with pilot sport 4s. My summer set is also staggered, so better and wider rubber might be key.

I went from a 328 with PSS to a 335 with Bridgestone all seasons and the change was depressing. Fixed the all seasons, next is fixing the summers.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Alarbus posted:

What tires do you have? I'm considering trying this when I switch to my summer tires, which will likely need to be replaced with pilot sport 4s. My summer set is also staggered, so better and wider rubber might be key.

I went from a 328 with PSS to a 335 with Bridgestone all seasons and the change was depressing. Fixed the all seasons, next is fixing the summers.

That's certainly an issue. I'm using stock-sized Kuhmo all seasons.

I've got a PDR guy coming tomorrow to work out on all the cars. The BMW has some good hail on the hood, along with the residual dent from the deer. The Juke has light hail and a couple door dings and the Escalade has a couple small door dings. It'll be great to have those taken care of, I hope it works out.

Also, I think the blower resistor is taking a poo poo in the Escalade. I let it idle and warm up for 45 minutes or so a couple times in the last month. Then I smelled a bit of ozone when the blower was cranking. Now I'm smelling straight burning when the blower is cranking. Looks like a common failure.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
A good PDR guy is worth gold. I picked up a weird hood dent from a road trip, and while I was at the body shop for an insurance bumper fix, they had their guy work the hood. Even right after he finished I couldn't find anything.

Ozone/burning definitely a worse failure mode. On both E90s, the bearing in the blower rusted due to lovely engineering placement and gave a delightful squeal. The 06 was covered, but on the 09 I discovered you can shimmy it out under the glovebox in something like 30 minutes. (And swap over the electronics, so you're just buying a $40 squirrel cage)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

GM molds the goddamned blower into the blower housing on my car.

You have to cut the drat thing out. There's locations in the plastic casting for brackets and screws (and apparently they did use a bracket for the first year model), but noooooo, they just mold it as one piece, and leave it up to you to figure out how to attach a new one. :fuckoff:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Or you could do what they did to repair hail damage on a Subaru Forester at work- a skim coat of bog over the entire roof.

Which a year later and two days before we returned the car to lease has started to crack, rust underneath and lift off!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

A landau top would have been easier. :colbert:

At one time they were a feature on cars. Now if you see one, it's almost always to cover up hail damage, usually by the dealer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Point 1 -- I found a great PDR guy. He mowed through a couple door dings and a dent on the hood on the Escalade, light hail on the hood and a few door dings on the Juke, and medium hail and a few door dings on the BMW for $300. That's fantastic. I like the cars better when they don't look like golf balls. Plus, he did a ding on my mom's Beetle for $20 since he was already there and set up, all in my garage. He lives only about 10 minutes from me, so I'll definitely be keeping his card.

Point 2 -- Those loving Germans. I've been chasing a tapping coming from the head area of the BMW for a while. It comes and goes, predominantly when it's cold. No real rhyme or reason to it, it can be dead silent on startup, then start knocking. It can start knocking and stop shortly after startup, it can just keep knocking and knocking and knocking.

Doing a little bit of digging, I saw that pre-2009 N52s had "HVA" Hydraulic Valve Adjuster (lifter) issues that cause lifter tapping. The solution for that is to get the car warm and do a no-load 2-3000rpm run for 3 minutes, then stop to see if the noise is still there. If it is, repeat, for up to 30 minutes. Seriously, that's the official TSP procedure: https://techtips.alleuro.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/bmw-n52-Ticking-Noise-SBSI-B-11-09-07.pdf

I did that and the noise persisted through the first cycle, but was dead-gone after the second. So loving annoyingly German... if your car makes a noise, just run it until the noise stops. :psyduck:

I haven't started it since then, but it seems to be a super common issue with N54s as well, so I hope I'm at root cause. It is said to appear on cars that are frequently driven short distances, which is my exact situation, so here's hoping. :cheers: