Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

chernobyl kinsman posted:

not inclusive; all the characters are Christians.

iirc there were several notable jews who were the bloodline of christ who got a mulligan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
well if they weren’t Christian when they were alive they sure are Christian now

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Torrannor posted:

I'm actually interested in what you guys make of it. Do you just discuss it without context? Does it matter that the slavemasters themselves are also women, and that they are ruled by a matriarchial monarchy?

george is gettin horny

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

pospysyl posted:

If a "plot" is defined as a protagonist conflicting with an antagonistic force, then no, there is no fictional work with a plot that doesn't have a protagonist conflicting with an antagonist.

Shut up Hegel

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

chernobyl kinsman posted:

what is the conflcit in the divine comedy

It's the conflict between Dante the intellectual and Dante the believer, OP

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Dante should have remembered he took boxing lessons at Bologna and beat up giant Satan at the end of Inferno

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
The worldbuilding in the Divine Comedy is top-notch

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

poisonpill posted:

Dante should have remembered he took boxing lessons at Bologna and beat up giant Satan at the end of Inferno

The nerd couldn't even beat up his bully and we got a pretty sweet diss track out of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TX_FP7QNEk

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
[quote="CountFosco" post=""492419061"]Now you could argue that those items symbolically represent sexuality, but to me they're more reflective of a turning of one's attention towards consumerism and social status.[/quote]theyre just a bunch of flower paintings. why are you guys always thinking like perverts

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

porfiria posted:

Wasnt CS Lewis kind of an incel.

I mean, he was married, so I don't know what you mean by incel.

Bilirubin posted:

Can I start ranting about the Screwtape Letters as a recovering evangelical next?

Please do.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

hackbunny posted:

I'm more interested in the magic system. How detailed and developed is it? It would be lazy if supernatural stuff just happened

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
All your questions are answered in Dante's Inferno: the videogame.

Very much a real thing. Includes punching Satan in the dick.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Pacho posted:

I'm more interested in the magic system. How detailed and developed is it? It would be lazy if supernatural stuff just happened

Sorry but vuolsi così colà dove si pote ciò che si vuole. E più non dimandare

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Feb 10, 2019

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

pospysyl posted:

If a "plot" is defined as a protagonist conflicting with an antagonistic force, then no, there is no fictional work with a plot that doesn't have a protagonist conflicting with an antagonist.

When a group of characters struggle to find meaning, struggle to even realise they need meaning, in a society constructing them a world meeting their basic needs, the two powers of ennui and madness will face off against an uncaring universal basic income. A riveting telling, timely and necessary, of how sitting around talking, whinging and drinking may (or may not, they don't mean to or even know it exists) bring down the most powerful force in the world.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Assassin's Creed: Inferno, coming soon.

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
i'm foul

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

lofi posted:

Assassin's Creed: Inferno, coming soon.
You're joking but that -sans some text- is literally the cover of an existing game.

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
i am just a wasp in a fig on a tree in the dying forest that is the universe

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
scaramouche scaramouche

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

this game has a scene where giant purple cleopatra births demonic cherubim from her nipple-mouths

also satan fingerbangs beatrice

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

good to see an adaptation improve on the source material for once

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
that reminds me of my favourite sf/f work, the book of enoch

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

pikachode posted:

that reminds me of my favourite sf/f work, the book of enoch

That's not canonical literature

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

That's not canonical literature

It’s in the Ethiopian Orthodox canon.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
lol botl your new title

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

a redtext-giver who leaves garbage characters in his redtext
a shameful redtext-giver

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

hackbunny posted:

You’re not the first to point this out:

https://books.google.com/books?id=z...aphy%22&f=false

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

The stars aren't in the right places.

Patrick Spens posted:

I mean, he was married, so I don't know what you mean by incel.

You might have mentioned that he didn't get married until his late 50s, and even then to someone he called:

"...my daughter and my mother, my pupil and my teacher, my subject and my sovereign; and always, holding all these in solution, my trusty comrade, friend, shipmate, fellow-soldier. My mistress; but at the same time all that any man friend (and I have good ones) has ever been to me. Perhaps more." (From "A Grief Observed" I guess)

I think you can discern a lot of his feelings about sex from Pilgrim's Regress too. Some of them seem incelish to me. Bolding mine.
(Here if you're interested: https://www.fadedpage.com/books/20150649/html.php)

---------------------------------
"Often, of late, when the sight of the Island had been withheld, he had felt sad and despairing: but what he felt now was more like anger. ‘I must have it,’ he kept on saying to himself, and then, ‘I must have something.’ Then it occurred to him that at least he had the wood, which he would once have loved, and that he had not given it a thought all morning. Very well, thought John, I will enjoy the wood: I will enjoy it. He set his teeth and wrinkled his forehead and sat still until the sweat rolled off him in an effort to enjoy the wood. But the more he tried the more he felt that there was nothing to enjoy. There was the grass and there were the trees: ‘But what am I to do with them?’ said John. Next it came into his head that he might perhaps get the old feeling—for what, he thought, had the Island ever given him but a feeling?—by imagining. He shut his eyes and set his teeth again and made a picture of the Island in his mind: but he could not keep his attention on the picture because he wanted all the time to watch some other part of his mind to see if the feeling were beginning. But no feeling began: and then, just as he was opening his eyes he heard a voice speaking to him. It was quite close at hand, and very sweet, and not at all like the old voice of the wood. When he looked round he saw what he had never expected, yet he was not surprised. There in the grass beside him sat a laughing brown girl of about his own age, and she had no clothes on.

‘It was me you wanted,’ said the brown girl. ‘I am better than your silly Islands.’

And John rose and caught her, all in haste, and committed fornication with her in the wood.

CHAPTER FIVE
Ichabod

The deception does not last: but it leaves a habit of sin behind it

After that John was always going to the wood. He did not always have his pleasure of her in the body, though it often ended that way: sometimes he would talk to her about himself, telling her lies about his courage and his cleverness. All that he told her she remembered, so that on other days she could tell it over to him again. Sometimes, even, he would go with her through the wood looking for the sea and the Island, but not often. Meanwhile the year went on and the leaves began to fall in the wood and the skies were more often grey: until now, as I dreamed, John had slept in the wood, and he woke up in the wood. The sun was low and a blustering wind was stripping the leaves from the branches. The girl was still there and the appearance of her was hateful to John: and he saw that she knew this, and the more she knew it the more she stared at him, smiling. He looked round and saw how small the wood was after all—a beggarly strip of trees between the road and a field that he knew well. Nowhere in sight was there anything that he liked at all.

‘I shall not come back here,’ said John. ‘What I wanted is not here. It wasn’t you I wanted, you know.’

‘Wasn’t it?’ said the brown girl. ‘Then be off. But you must take your family with you.’

With that she put up her hands to her mouth and called. Instantly from behind every tree there slipped out a brown girl: each of them was just like herself: the little wood was full of them.

‘What are these?’

‘Our daughters,’ said she. ‘Did you not know you were a father? Did you think I was barren, you fool? And now, children,’ she added, turning to the mob, ‘go with your father.’

Suddenly John became very much afraid and leaped over the wall into the road. There he ran home as fast as he could.
---------------------------------

The first line there is pretty typical of incels if I understand the term right, going from sadness and despair to anger, to first wanting an ideal of something (at first putting women on a pedestal, later using that high ideal as justification for feeling betrayed or that it was an illusion not of their own devising) and then wanting anything, any semblance at all of the desired thing.

The girl's brownness sometimes gets defended as a symbolic rather than really ethnic thing, but it really does smack pretty strongly of a dark-skinned, sensual, foul temptress of unseemly miscegenetic masturbation, trying to get the well-meaning lad to abandon the True Path or whatever.

It reminds me a bit of the moralizing in Ibsen's Peer Gynt where the main character flees his ill-begotten brood of half-troll children near the end of the story, sobbing into the arms of his all-forgiving mother. Yeesh.

I think I also remember reading in Neil Gaiman's "One Life, Furnished in Early Moorcock" that he felt kind of betrayed upon finding out about Lewis' "This-equals-that" direct symbolizing of events in his stories to spirituality, like Lewis was trying to kind of sneak something past the reader, trick them into agreeing with some religious precept through dramatic narratives that paralleled Christianity.

Sorry for rambling a bit. Weirdos with principles are really interesting to me, and Lewis certainly fits that criteria.

edit: bolding, spelling

Ceramic Shot fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Feb 11, 2019

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Do you think it's healthy to use a phrase like "incel", which is commonly associated with violent nazis, to analyse the writings of a long dead author whose crime was that he possibly didn't have an active sex life

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Obviously

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I can't believe this creep would have outdated ideas about sex and women in 1933.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

Ras Het posted:

Do you think it's healthy to use a phrase like "incel", which is commonly associated with violent nazis, to analyse the writings of a long dead author whose crime was that he possibly didn't have an active sex life

I don't think incel is "commonly associated" with violent nazis, is it? Aren't the violent ones generally seen as anomolies by those who even know what the term means in the first place? With the obvious exception of Elliot Rodgers I think the majority of their complaining I've seen is pretty unrelated to race as well.

I guess I just wanted to use the term in an off-handed way as an excuse to show a fun example of sex-weirdness in a Christian apologetics author. I doubt there was much "involuntary" about Lewis' bachelorhood.

font color sea
Jan 23, 2017

Expelliarmus!

Ceramic Shot posted:

Very well, thought John, I will enjoy the wood: I will enjoy it.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Pardon me. M'Lady-class Volcel.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Ceramic Shot posted:

I don't think incel is "commonly associated" with violent nazis, is it? Aren't the violent ones generally seen as anomolies by those who even know what the term means in the first place? With the obvious exception of Elliot Rodgers I think the majority of their complaining I've seen is pretty unrelated to race as well.

those guys are all complete lunatics heavily into 4chan nazi crap

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Nabokov strikes me more as a BYOB day crew type

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

font color sea posted:

Very well, thought John, I will enjoy the wood: I will enjoy it.

See, now that's how you use a colon.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Ceramic Shot posted:

I doubt there was much "involuntary" about Lewis' bachelorhood.

ie volcel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

Nabokov strikes me more as a BYOB day crew type

seems more GBS 1.0 to me

although he may also have been the BotL of his day: http://wmjas.wikidot.com/nabokov-s-recommendations