Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:
I sent both of you invites. Check your email or go to https://betasignup.ubisoft.com/anno1800cb/FriendList/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Welp it worked...eventually. Thanks man and sorry for the confusion.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
For anyone just starting the beta, or wanting to get another game in, you have approximately 3 hours left to enjoy it before it ends. Why did they pick 2AM to pull the game? Because Germany, that's why.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Welp, fiddled with it myself. It's basically 1404 but better. QoL improvements from 2070/2205, new interesting wrinkles. All in all, I'm impressed.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I just played for 6 hours and really enjoyed it. It’s such a fine balance of keeping everyone happy and sufficient jobs.

The “new world” bit was a surprise for me, but I hadn’t watched any teasers or trailers.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Im gonna get this .

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Ditto.

The Digital Deluxe edition is like 63usd on greenmangaming, so I imagine I'll just pick that up.
It apparently covers only 1 DLC(Which was supposed to come out 'spring', so I assume 2-3 months after release.), so I feel Ubisoft might be waiting a bit to see how the release pans out before they commit to any larger DLC plans.
(After all, even their description mentions you getting the 'first' of the DLCs. )

quote:

The Anarchist DLC: Meet Dr. Hugo Mercier – the Anarchist – and decide whether he will become a powerful ally or a mighty opponent. This new character comes with new quests and new items. Dr. Hugo Mercier also brings a new player portrait and a new company logo for you to customize your profile. Available Spring 2019
If he comes with new items, I suppose he'll be another trader/pirate stronghold character. But that sounds like kind of little for a single DLC.

Has there been any talk of scenarios, by the way? Can't really find anything on their devblog.
Alongside the 'random' maps, scenarios were really the biggest omission in 2205, I feel. Especially since the rolling ones they had for 2070 were quite neat.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Peeped this game via Dan's Gaming. Saw some sweet rear end islands and listened to some sweet rear end music.

Gonna watch this game.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Psychotic Weasel posted:

For anyone just starting the beta, or wanting to get another game in, you have approximately 3 hours left to enjoy it before it ends. Why did they pick 2AM to pull the game? Because Germany, that's why.

im still playing it...

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

boar guy posted:

im still playing it...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the cutoff was supposed to be 1800GMT.
The game is still bootable for me though.

Though checking their site, it seems they extended it a bit:
"The Closed Beta will run from 31. January 2019 to the 4th of February 2019."

So I assume it'll knock off in the next 2-8 hours or so, then.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Overnight they tweeted that the beta had been extended to run until 3h00 UTC on Feb 5th. That looks like it'll be about 10pm EST today. So you have a few more hours it looks like.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
With the close of the Closed Beta the team has already mentioned that they not only have a treasure trove of information to work with but they were happy to see just how popular the game was. Apparantly exceeded their expectations considerably.

They've already begun reworking certain things based on the feedback they've received, in particular the UI so it's easier for everyone for navigate and the influence system which apparently was not finished and having only half the game available to players it was not being used as you normally would.

We'll be hearing more in the weeks to come as they continue with more diaries. They also have a stream coming up this Friday to show some things off.

They also finished by announcing an Open Beta that will hit right before the launch, running April 12-14. It won't be the full game but will have more available than the Closed Beta had unlocked for players; further details to come closer to that date.. At that point it's really just a glorified demo since it ends a day before release but if anyone is still on the fence then you can give it one more shot.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Oh so there is a thread for this. :toot:
I played SO much Anno in my life and I am basically upgrading my PC for this game alone, and all reports making it sound actually good make me happy.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i realllllly hope we get a season pass option. hell, i bought the season pass for 2205, i should get it for free :toot::)

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

:stoked: to build steam-powered communism :ussr:

I've never played an Anno game before, what's a good one to get in on? I prefer historical to futuristic so I'm leaning towards Dawn of Discovery but a poster earlier said it p much doesn't work for Win10. What do you guys think?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

DoD Venice works perfectly fine on Windows 10.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
1404/Dawn is probably the best in the series in most opinions so that’s a good choice. I was the guy who had major Win10 problems with the Steam copy of Dawn but others said get the GoG version. That should work fine.

EDIT: I’m not even 100% it was Win 10 but it’s really the only major change I’ve made to my desktop in a long while and random googling implied it. GoG should be safe regardless.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 5, 2019

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I've been playing DoD fine on Win10. I do have the unofficial patch and content addon running tho, I'm not sure if that has any affect.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I played it just fine this fall on win10. I think it was the steam version, even. (Gold/Venice)
The only real issue for me was rather small text/ui on a higher res monitor.

I too was a filthy modder, but I doubt that has any bearing on the game's stability.
(Other than most of the npc cities rioting and burning down in the campaign due to changes in the mod, of course. :v:)

SubNat fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 5, 2019

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Mazz posted:

1404/Dawn is probably the best in the series in most opinions so that’s a good choice. I was the guy who had major Win10 problems with the Steam copy of Dawn but others said get the GoG version. That should work fine.

EDIT: I’m not even 100% it was Win 10 but it’s really the only major change I’ve made to my desktop in a long while and random googling implied it. GoG should be safe regardless.

I'll try Dawn then! I'm gonna give it a crack on Steam regardless because it's on sale right now and the crashing seems to affect some people more than others. If it turns out to not work for me, I can always just return it and buy it off GoG regardless.

e: bought it, played the first tutorial mission without any problems. I like it so far!

cool dance moves fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 6, 2019

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Venice has the issue that the MP servers were down for a while, I think they fixed that tough.

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

I never finished Venice so I guess I will give some of the challenges a shot whilst waiting for 1800 to release.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

jonesing hard for some anno

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Nothing new since they finished the beta last week, but they did stream the game again:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/377162566

It contains nothing you haven't seen before but they do answer a number of questions that come up.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Oh cool there is a thread for this. I haven't wanted a new game this much in a long time. So hyped.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

boar guy posted:

jonesing hard for some anno

Play 1404? I'm currently giving 2205 another try and it's not as bad as I remember. Really wish it had plot-free maps that I could just build on.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I’m gonna have to give 2070 another go while we wait for 1800, I bought Deep Ocean but never really got around to playing it. Also UPlay seems a lot less aggressively terrible than the actual 2070 release era so that helps.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

How do people typically play 1404 nowadays anyhow? I know the Steam version you need to manually install a bunch of patches somewhat hackily, is that still the case? Freeplay?

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
I'm playing 1404 right now on win10 using the steam version. Zero issues playing a single player continuous game. Installed it last week and didn't have to do anything special to start playing.

Goddamn this game aged so well. Pretty sure in a decade it will still be one of the best city builders out there.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
You might have issues if you want to play MP as the server is not always up. I am guessing the server is just so old it doesn't work on modern server versions and is having other technical issues.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

Beamed posted:

How do people typically play 1404 nowadays anyhow? I know the Steam version you need to manually install a bunch of patches somewhat hackily, is that still the case? Freeplay?

The GOG version of 1404 + Venice with the unofficial mod worked really well for me. I mostly play the challenge scenarios.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
A lot of people have commented that the soundtrack to the game was quite good during the beta and they loved listening to it. If you were one of those people and also have more money to spend you can now get the entire soundtrack (and some extras by the same composer I think) on a vinyl record for about $35 (USD):

https://blackscreenrecords.com/prod...Dctuc9rVOh83syo

You will have to source your own vintage gramophone to listen to them on for a truly authentic listening experience, however.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I really do appreciate the fact that this game is going to come out at the start of the easter vacation this year.

I'm still kind of worried about the Scenarios though, since there's been 0 mention of them at all. Only sandbox and campaign.
(And some streamers have shown off a bit of the campaign, which seems like the standard Anno tutorial, early on.)

It would be pretty rad if they made a scenario editor so people could make their own, but I suppose that'll be up to the fans again.
(There have been made 3rd party map editors + scenario makers for games like 1602 and 1404, apparently.)

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Quick update to stop this from sliding into the archives before the game even releases; some here may be interested in the multiplayer aspects of this game, which is making a return after being absent from 2205, and the devs have recently posted details on what will be present in the game. Long story short you'll still have your standard 4 player option, with the slots being able to be filled with AI or Player characters depending on how many of you are. The whole game will also be available with the full range of options available in singleplayer also being available in multiplayer modes. There's also custom scenarios you can play to help speed things up from the usual weeks long grind this game can be and a matchmaking tool of sorts.

You can read all the details for yourself if interested in the diary below:

https://www.anno-union.com/en/together-one-is-less-alone/

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Quick update to stop this from sliding into the archives before the game even releases; some here may be interested in the multiplayer aspects of this game, which is making a return after being absent from 2205, and the devs have recently posted details on what will be present in the game. Long story short you'll still have your standard 4 player option, with the slots being able to be filled with AI or Player characters depending on how many of you are. The whole game will also be available with the full range of options available in singleplayer also being available in multiplayer modes. There's also custom scenarios you can play to help speed things up from the usual weeks long grind this game can be and a matchmaking tool of sorts.

You can read all the details for yourself if interested in the diary below:

https://www.anno-union.com/en/together-one-is-less-alone/

The article mentions that they have co-op plans post-launch. I'm curious if it will be more than just playing together and trading missing resources. Or would one player be playing in the new world with the other playing in the old?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
If they do it right it's just two or more people controlling the same "faction". You have to decide yourself who does what, that's how it worked with previous ones. We usually had someone run missions with the boat and ship stuff around, someone doing normal islands while the other guy did the spice islands stuff.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Weird, the UI has options for teams, but at the end they mention:

quote:

And as your feedback is always important to us: While there won’t be a classic Co-Op mode in the game at launch, we will add it as part of our post-launch plans for Anno 1800.

I'm kind of curious what that means specifically.
It could mean that for whatever bizarre reason, players can be allied, but not share the same empire, as people are expecting at launch.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

There's also custom scenarios you can play to help speed things up from the usual weeks long grind this game can be and a matchmaking tool of sorts.

Hm? I didn't see anything referring to scenarios at all, just that you can adjust the full range of custom-map settings, as if you were playing singleplayer. (ie difficulty, mapsize, type, etc.)

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Maybe it will be like free for all with teams in Age of Empires.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

SubNat posted:

Weird, the UI has options for teams, but at the end they mention:

I'm kind of curious what that means specifically.
It could mean that for whatever bizarre reason, players can be allied, but not share the same empire, as people are expecting at launch.

Hm? I didn't see anything referring to scenarios at all, just that you can adjust the full range of custom-map settings, as if you were playing singleplayer. (ie difficulty, mapsize, type, etc.)

That's how it worked in the beta, it seemed to be a perma alliance from the start with shared map view, but we each were our own nation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

is there another beta or am i gonna have to re-optimize my Factory Town yet again