Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Cowcaster posted:

actually just typing this out is a major revelation to myself even the ostensibly multiplayer stuff i've played over the past few years i've exclusively treated as single player games i feel as though a great weight has been lifted from my chest

Yeah, I haven't given them up entirely but they do seem increasingly miserable all the time. I try to stick more and more to strictly 1v1 or co-op multiplayer.

I actually think Apex Legends is kind of good but I'll probably only really play it to hang out with friends, even though the few solo games I tried the randoms have been pretty chill and fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I only like MP when your teammates might as well be slightly higher functioning MeatSims and you can still get through the mission without voice chat or that much coordination.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

RE2 will not even be the best Capcom game of 2019!

Woah! What else are they making this year?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

VideoGames posted:

Woah! What else are they making this year?

Devil May Cry 5

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I only like multiplayer when it's coop with friends.

In practice this means Monster Hunter and nothing else

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

I only like MP when your teammates might as well be slightly higher functioning MeatSims and you can still get through the mission without voice chat or that much coordination.

yeah, and i'm now realizing that i'd much rather cut out the middleman here and just have straight up computer teammates than human teammates that i'm able to treat like computers in every way shape and form

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mr E posted:

Devil May Cry 5

Also the Monster Hunter World expansion

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Mr E posted:

Devil May Cry 5

Oh. I have not really gotten into them, so I am not as excited as everyone else.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

You should play the DMC5 demo for PS4. It's short and hella sweet. I beat it three times just to hit S-Rank.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

which game invented the s-rank, and do we all agree it stands for special

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Help Im Alive posted:

which game invented the s-rank, and do we all agree it stands for special

What about SS and SSS then?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I believe S-Rank was invented by Jim Carrey in The Mask (1994), when he first used the phrase SSSmokin'!

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

VideoGames posted:

Oh. I have not really gotten into them, so I am not as excited as everyone else.

Well get into them so you don't miss game of the year

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

don't let these guys peer pressure you, goty is already determined to be sekiro so they're dealing you a false hand

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Using the ping system in Apex when no one on your squad has mics is kind of like a Turing Test. You're giving out commands and information, hoping that your team can react to it and maybe pings stuff for your benefit, too. Just as simple as pinging a closed door to let people know where you're heading, then seeing them congregate around you reminds me a little bit of Spec Ops: The Line. Marking enemies you see, seeing an ally ping some high tier armor or a backpack for you, calling out that you still need a gun after running through two buildings, silently agreeing that you've spent too much time on the fringe of the map and that you should head towards a nearby balloon so you can all get some altitude and glide towards the ring, it all feels very fluid and nautral, and I hope the player base embraces it and becomes more comfortable pinging the hell out of things.

This isn't to say that you can play Apex like a single player game, but one thing I know was a black mark on my past attempts to get into online FPSs was that not using a mic meant I couldn't share enough information with my team, making it basically a single player game insofar as efforts at teamwork were concerned. Here, you can have a very professional line of communication with two pubbies without ever opening your mouth.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cowcaster posted:

actually just typing this out is a major revelation to myself even the ostensibly multiplayer stuff i've played over the past few years i've exclusively treated as single player games i feel as though a great weight has been lifted from my chest

I just don't really give a poo poo about pvp at all anymore, in any game. Co-op is still fun and good though.

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
So thread question for this morning: for those that feel this way, why do you enjoy multiplayer less/not at all if you once did? I know this thread/forum trends older, so is it just age? Has multiplayer gaming changed in a way you don't enjoy?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

So thread question for this morning: for those that feel this way, why do you enjoy multiplayer less/not at all if you once did? I know this thread/forum trends older, so is it just age? Has multiplayer gaming changed in a way you don't enjoy?

The only competitive MP I've ever enjoyed is 1v1 but the industry has trended toward team-based games (because it's way easier to blame people other than yourself for losing).

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i don't think multiplayer gaming has changed so much as now that i am older i'm less willing to participate in/put up with all its stupid poo poo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

RE2 will not even be the best Capcom game of 2019!

Even if dmc5 is awesome it's less impressive to me, since people have still been making good action games. There hasn't been a game like RE2 since basically the last remake.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

I still enjoy competitive multiplayer and still play a lot of it, but I would say I feel more guilt if I spend all evening playing a competitive shooter. I guess I'm just noticing more that I'm trading in the opportunity to experience something new for the safe "good times" of a shooter that I've already played for dozens of hours.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Relax Or DIE posted:

They ruined TF2 and that's the only one I really liked enough to play for hours. I did enjoy the multiplayer in like, WatchDogs 2 and stuff but that's not a solely mp based game

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Relax Or DIE posted:

I think for me it's the trend away from big vehicle-oriented maps and more towards pure gunplay. I always like being in a supportive role which is more and more rare in games I want to play.

Also it's all overtuned e-sports poo poo which pisses everyone off all the time. I just want to get rowdy in a tank!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

binding a key to spam the text chat with rub a dub dub, roofle owned scrub when you're 16: awesome, cool, and good

reading 36 lines of rub a dub dub, roofle owned scrub when you're 32: i need my fiber supplement and calcium pill before i can deal with this

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i did not have access to the internet at all until 2004, and i did not have access to non-dialup internet until 2010, and by the time I could have actually played a game online my tastes had been firmly cemented

arcades died earlier here, and also before i was capable of driving, so now playing against anything but an ai that i can eventually figure out is just exhausting

i used to play smash bros melee with my cousins but that was because it was like the only multiplayer anything either of us had, and it was still a matter of the younger cousin being bad at action games and the older one being bad against cheese strats so it was just me loving around mostly

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I was always a co-op first person and multiplayer, especially 1v1 is more stressful than I want to deal with when I come back from work. Like I just spent 8 hours with idiots who cant listen to directions or attack the objective, why the hell would I do that in my free time.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

gently caress, the live-action Aladdin they're doing seriously reads like parody.

"What if we took Aladdin and removed the distinctive aesthetic, did it live-action with a gently caress-LOAD of CGI, and we'll make the genie like Will Smith or some poo poo!"

"Genius! Call the money trucks over!"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

gently caress, the live-action Aladdin they're doing seriously reads like parody.

"What if we took Aladdin and removed the distinctive aesthetic, did it live-action with a gently caress-LOAD of CGI, and we'll make the genie like Will Smith or some poo poo!"

"Genius! Call the money trucks over!"

If it weren't for Will Smith I would honestly have mistaken it for one of those fanmade cosplay trailers.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

haven't they been doing live action remakes of their 90's movies for years at this point, with an established plan to keep doing so for years to come? i know there was a beauty and the beast one and they've already casted a lion king one

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

haven't they been doing live action remakes of their 90's movies for years at this point, with an established plan to keep doing so for years to come? i know there was a beauty and the beast one and they've already casted a lion king one

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

Yes and it's dumb. But I can at least justify some of them if it feels like the film is able to stand on its own, I think The Jungle Book movie that Jon Favreau directed is a good example of that.

Aladdin looks like rear end though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ive beaten the first three chapters of Celeste, when does the story people were raving about happen?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

May 8, 2006

Interesting posts! I've posted about it before but I do think increased access to large communities/video of high level play has had a net negative effect on mp, with the mentioned move towards team based games.

I'll also save posting again about how ADS/modern military ruined shooters but I will say that I "grew up" on hosted servers for half life mods/early battlefield and was able to gravitate towards well curated communities. Anecdotally most people I've played shooters with recently would actually be happiest in an environment like that, if it wasn't sadly mostly dead.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Barudak posted:

Ive beaten the first three chapters of Celeste, when does the story people were raving about happen?

Celeste’s story is functional at best and puerile at worst, just stick to the gameplay

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I just don't like how battle royale games are designed at all and they're pretty the entirety of new multiplayer games at this point.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Really gotta brush up on all my pro abuse elf strategies once War3 remastered comes out.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

I just don't like how battle royale games are designed at all and they're pretty the entirety of new multiplayer games at this point.

They also make card games.

Oxxidation posted:

Celeste’s story is functional at best and puerile at worst, just stick to the gameplay

So its just as shallow as it seems on surface being propped up by a well crafted 2d room-clear platformer, got it.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am not a fan of multiplayer games because I hate letting other people down.

The only exception to this rule is Team Fortress 2 because I can still join random matches and do well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 8, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Really gotta brush up on all my pro abuse elf strategies once War3 remastered comes out.

A favorite WC3 memory of mine is being called a "big bitch" for using observer wards. I pretty much played orcs specifically due to that ability.