Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
After getting some games in with GSC against an IG artillery parking lot:

Clamavus is very good. +1 assaults is worth it alone.
Nexos is okay, max of 1 extra cp a turn is meh. Cheap character objective holder.
Kelermorph is great and wipes squads on his own. Keep him out of combat.
Primus is great, +1 hit and rerolls make him still the best force multiplier in the codex.
Magus is still great, the new advance/assault power helps a lot.
Broodlord is still a blender but forcing him to be the warlord makes him much more risky.
The same problems from the index. You’re gonna need a lot of long range chaff killers to clear a landing zone for your deepstrikers or they’ll be zoned out and dying in droves after killing nothing but cheap bodies.
Sentinels seem like a better option for just filling fast attack slots. Much more survivable with better armor saves and smoke.
Metamorphs are much better, but still not all that great. Acolytes are cheaper and almost as good with their basic attacks and all the drills and saws have wider applications than more knife arms.
I proxied the drill and it’s an okay cover platform to squat some guys on? The earthquake being random and once per game with d3 damage is kind of weak.
Goliaths are still gonna get popped turn 1.

I’m definitely putting together some mortar teams to fill out a brigade and provide some much needed chaff killing support. All in all it’s a much more finesse army with very little room for screwups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
The dude who cheated and got banned from London GT took second at LVO

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
FFG was running a 40k tournament?

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

The GSC psychic powers seem built around countering Knights.

At least two of the really good powers are just better versions of other factions powers (mirror of minds and treachery of Tzeentch off the top of my head). I wonder if they'll change those in line with the codex - TOT is pretty much useless as is, the odds you'll beat a character's leadership on 2d6 is slim at best.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

OhDearGodNo posted:

Is this too big for a Big Mek in mega armor? I really wanted something dread-sized but didn’t have a boxnaught handy. Nob for scale.

It's a little on the big side, but waaaaay on the awesome side.

For comparison, here are the meganobz throughout the ages. The far right one is the size of a modern nob. The second from the left is a current meganob, which is the same kit as the mega-armour mek.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Probably better served by a painting thread but this is the one that I"m following right now so....anyone have much experience with Vallejo Crackle Medium? I wanted to do something with it on a base, like a basecoat of light blue below some crackled purple. I primed and basecoated the bases, waited for it to dry, then slathered on the crackle medium pretty thick. Hours later, it seems dry but not really crackled at all, just kinda varnished. Did I do it wrong? What's the best way to use this stuff?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

There were like 4 judges watching his games today. And I overheard somebody else saying that the dude who came in sixth was cheating this weekend.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Yeah I was stoked to see so many judges on the final game stream.

Didn’t know that the 6th place dude cheated.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Didn’t know that the 6th place dude cheated.

I overheard it from some random dude who also lost to the guy so who knows if there's any veracity to it.

Personally I went 2-2 in the Kill Team event (one win was a forfeit because the other dude just left I guess?) so that's something.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I’m still proud of you and your kill team accomplishments :)

How big (and chill/fun) was the KT scene?

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
How do you all get a bunch of bubonic axes on your plague Marines? Do you just buy a ton of them for ridiculous prices on eBay and mutilate your existing Marines and put them on? Can I buy a 20 pack of bubonic axe-wielding Marines somewhere that I haven't found? I've even been considering taking off arms of existing Marines and gluing on axes (the few I have spare) but the way the existing arms have tentacles and tubes and other things connecting to other parts of the model it seems like it'll look like crap if I do that.

Crab-Stuffed
Jul 24, 2006

LibCrusher posted:

According to battlescribe I could make a 1kpt Tempestus army by getting 3 start collecting boxes.

I'm thinking of doing something similar for my slow grow league! I'm going for a Tonka theme. :D

What's a good loadout for Taurox Prime spam? I'm thinking:

• Taurox Prime [6 PL, 126pts]:
  • Storm Bolter
  • Taurox Missile Launcher
  • Two Hot-shot Volley Guns

Missile Launcher seems to be the only thing with enough punch to take on tougher targets, like Custodes. The volley guns should help, too. Storm Bolter is there for a little spam.

Cool pic for inspiration (not mine):

Source

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

food court bailiff posted:

Probably better served by a painting thread but this is the one that I"m following right now so....anyone have much experience with Vallejo Crackle Medium? I wanted to do something with it on a base, like a basecoat of light blue below some crackled purple. I primed and basecoated the bases, waited for it to dry, then slathered on the crackle medium pretty thick. Hours later, it seems dry but not really crackled at all, just kinda varnished. Did I do it wrong? What's the best way to use this stuff?

I use something similar (GW Agrellan Earth) and I believe you need to put it on fairly thick to get the crackle to work right. Practice on some sacrificial bases to get a sense of how it should work out. I believe you can also increase the crackle effect by sanding the base flat or applying some gloss clearcoat.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I’m still proud of you and your kill team accomplishments :)

:shobon:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

How big (and chill/fun) was the KT scene?

It was very fun and chill, but only 36 people were in the BCP pairings app by the end. One of the guys said that ~60 or something people originally bought tickets but being on the last day and all in one block probably lead to some people who did 40k to just be burnt out by the time it came around.

I think KT kind of ended up as an afterthought this year (the organizer I talked to gave me that impression,) which is a shame and hopefully gets rectified for next year. It was also my first time playing "tournament" style missions/scoring and I really liked them, definitely going to try to play that more often at my club at home now.

Oh and one of my games was actually against another dude from NYC who is a lapsed member of the club I joined the other week, it's a small world.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
My Grotcanicum pulled best converted at the LVO 40K narrative!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ghazk posted:

Oh gently caress you I could have seen this in person and I missed the chance?!

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Crab-Stuffed posted:

I'm thinking of doing something similar for my slow grow league! I'm going for a Tonka theme. :D

What's a good loadout for Taurox Prime spam? I'm thinking:

• Taurox Prime [6 PL, 126pts]:
  • Storm Bolter
  • Taurox Missile Launcher
  • Two Hot-shot Volley Guns

Missile Launcher seems to be the only thing with enough punch to take on tougher targets, like Custodes. The volley guns should help, too. Storm Bolter is there for a little spam.

I plan on running them with missile launchers, autocannons, and storm bolters. I feel like I’m gonna need the extra punch and range from the autocannons more than I’ll need some chaff-clearing volley guns.

I pulled the trigger and ordered 3 Scion start collecting boxes and one command squad box.

Do you think it would be worth the trouble to try and model the 3 included commissars as more scions?

Also what are y’alls thoughts on powerfists for the sergeants? If they ever get in combat they’re boned, but a couple of powerfist swings at least has the chance to do some damage on the way out.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

slut chan posted:

It's a little on the big side, but waaaaay on the awesome side.

For comparison, here are the meganobz throughout the ages. The far right one is the size of a modern nob. The second from the left is a current meganob, which is the same kit as the mega-armour mek.

Thanks all- I’m loving orks because I can convert everything

I also posted on reddit and someone commented that it may be an issue that it’s on a 60mm base. I may be able to put it on a 40mm however by making the robit striding it may be a tight fit.

Meeple
Dec 29, 2009

food court bailiff posted:

From what I found online (other than a lot of people asking how to use it), it's more for doing fairly subtle weathering techniques for scale modelling or tanks. The correct method appears to be applying it by brush over a mostly-dry top coat, and as it shrinks it will pull that top coat back exposing the undercoat.

Video example: https://youtu.be/hqbTzmETgQE

I've used it to make a cracked glass effect by repeatedly adding layers with some ink glazes in between, but not any big cracks.

How big do you want the cracks? I made some cracked earth bases for my blood bowl Undead with a thick layer of golden crackle medium and dragging a pin through to make the bigger chasms, but I had to hand paint everything afterwards - I never had much success with tinting the crackle medium without spoiling the crack effect.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Ghazk posted:

Congrats! Your army owns and the reward is well-deserved.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Ghazk posted:

Congrats! That army owns bones.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Ghazk posted:

Do you have any more photos of these?

Flashing Square
Feb 8, 2019

I LIKE TO POST SEIZURE INDUCING IMAGES BECAUSE I'M TOO FUCKING LAZY TO CTRL+F MY OWN GODDAMN NAME

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

How do people cheat at this game? I have only played very casually with friends (and not much, at that), so cheating has never been an issue.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Flashing Square posted:

How do people cheat at this game? I have only played very casually with friends (and not much, at that), so cheating has never been an issue.

Sneakily move your models so they're closer. Play rules incorrectly and hope your opponent doesn't call you on it. Feed them the wrong information if they ask a question about a general rule.

I had an opponent who had 2 abilities that let him Reroll 1's so he was rerolling a die he already rerolled. I forget why I didn't call him on it, I think the game was already pretty heavily over and I just didn't feel like arguing at the time or something :shrug: That was just a casual LGS league game though, not a tournament.

But yea, it's wicked easy to cheat in tabletops.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
In a game of a thousand rules, it's easy to just go too fast for your opponent and slip stuff by them. "Okay, hitting on four, wounding on three, it's a wound so roll for injury." And you're like okay, instead of making sure he actually wounds on three. There are mistakes, and then there's just cheating.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Irate Tree posted:

It's even freakier when you see the eyes move.

Or Roboute Trumpiman. The whole thing things to have really emboldened the local 40k MAGA crowd instead of admonishing them like the artist wanted to.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
5-1, 46th/660, best faction at the event, and 3rd best club in the world. Feels good man.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Naramyth posted:

5-1, 46th/660, best faction at the event, and 3rd best club in the world. Feels good man.

If you're content with 45 people being better than you, I guess.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Master Twig posted:

If you're content with 45 people being better than you, I guess.

we both know im not

Crab-Stuffed
Jul 24, 2006

LibCrusher posted:

Do you think it would be worth the trouble to try and model the 3 included commissars as more scions?

Also what are y’alls thoughts on powerfists for the sergeants? If they ever get in combat they’re boned, but a couple of powerfist swings at least has the chance to do some damage on the way out.

I'd leave them in the box, but maybe you can do a head and weapon swap if you want a unique Sergeant or Tempestus prime (avoid traditional commissar colors and emphasize it's not a commissar to avoid confusion).

I would avoid kitting them out for combat since they won't last long. They're as likely to miss with those fists as they are to score a hit.

Flashing Square
Feb 8, 2019

I LIKE TO POST SEIZURE INDUCING IMAGES BECAUSE I'M TOO FUCKING LAZY TO CTRL+F MY OWN GODDAMN NAME

Sab669 posted:

...But yea, it's wicked easy to cheat in tabletops.

Hell I'm just glad I only play with friends, who are all more experienced than me and are still sort of teaching me how to play, so they really have no incentive to cheat. But I don't even have a real handle on what my army can do, I can't imagine knowing what everybody else's does. I play Orks, and almost everybody else plays some sort of space marine, I don't even know what the hell they're talking about most of the time. Insane.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Looking at the rules for the GSC Ridgerunner - the Heavy Mining Laser seems like maybe its the best option to me. Making it D3 shots really helps fix why it was poo poo before. The other option I think is the heavy mortar, but do we really need something to clear out guard infantry?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

muggins posted:

Looking at the rules for the GSC Ridgerunner - the Heavy Mining Laser seems like maybe its the best option to me. Making it D3 shots really helps fix why it was poo poo before. The other option I think is the heavy mortar, but do we really need something to clear out guard infantry?

If you're looking to clear the protective units around an enemy's line before you charge them turn 2+, absolutely. Expect to see a lot of Heavy Weapons Teams with mortars to a) meet Brigade reqs and b) clear chaff.

I really want to like the Ridgerunner, but at BS4+ using it as a heavy weapons platform completely negates its mobility and it just doesn't really have another useful purpose.

Upon a little review, the a minimum squad of Atalan Jackals with grenade launchers is not a terrible buy. 52pts for four highly mobile and somewhat tough infantry killers, slightly more than a Sentinel but more versatile, but not a bad way to fill out the FA slot. Then again, that's buying three new kits...

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 11, 2019

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Flashing Square posted:

But I don't even have a real handle on what my army can do, I can't imagine knowing what everybody else's does. I play Orks, and almost everybody else plays some sort of space marine, I don't even know what the hell they're talking about most of the time. Insane.

I still feel that way, man. First started playing 40K in 5th edition like a decade ago, took a long break and then came back a 1.25 years ago and I'm still just like, "Adeptus Whatnow?" If I had $1 every time if I said, "If you say so" during the last tournament I played in, I could've easily recouped my entry fee just from listening to people telling me the things their army do. Skimming this thread half the time I have no idea what acronyms mean.

It can be lovely losing games sometimes, but if I lose a game knowing that my opponent cheated I immediately feel better. Like how sad is your life that you need to cheat at Space Barbies, dude.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

M'Spreadsheet

nite_moogle
Jul 10, 2008

Ghazk posted:

This is utterly ridiculous in all of the best ways.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
If anyone can't find M'Spreadsheet I abused my mod powers to insert it into the second post of this thread.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Did a skull man:

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
Thanks everyone!

Lizard Combatant posted:

Do you have any more photos of these?

I dropped a bunch on page 1379. I’ll probably drop some LVO action shots in the next few days too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

PierreTheMime posted:

If you're looking to clear the protective units around an enemy's line before you charge them turn 2+, absolutely. Expect to see a lot of Heavy Weapons Teams with mortars to a) meet Brigade reqs and b) clear chaff.

I really want to like the Ridgerunner, but at BS4+ using it as a heavy weapons platform completely negates its mobility and it just doesn't really have another useful purpose.

Upon a little review, the a minimum squad of Atalan Jackals with grenade launchers is not a terrible buy. 52pts for four highly mobile and somewhat tough infantry killers, slightly more than a Sentinel but more versatile, but not a bad way to fill out the FA slot. Then again, that's buying three new kits...

I'm thinking about having 4 laser ridgerunners roll about with a jackal alphus so they can always shoot something at 4+ if they move or 3+ if they don't. They're also the toyota hilux technicals of 40k so I'm having trouble not liking them.