Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DisDisDis posted:

i don't think it scales too disimilarly to doom's honestly

The modern Aleph One UI is scalable, the original Marathon 1 UI was a blatant cover for the fact that Macs of the day were slower than PCs and no one at Bungie was as good as Carmack.

It didn't scale at all, if you reduced the frame size there were black bar insets within the view area and if you went to fullscreen there was no HUD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Comedy answer:

Trespasser.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

haveblue posted:

The modern Aleph One UI is scalable, the original Marathon 1 UI was a blatant cover for the fact that Macs of the day were slower than PCs and no one at Bungie was as good as Carmack.

It didn't scale at all, if you reduced the frame size there were black bar insets within the view area and if you went to fullscreen there was no HUD.

ah yeah i was thinking of the M2/Inf (which, I ran Hoth in actual Infinity once when I was a kid but don't remember much about it) but yeah that thing's a clunker. Kinda rules though I wouldn't play with it

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Comedy answer:

Trespasser.

i played trespasser many years after its original release, when my dad bought it for me from poundland. it has a lot of flaws, but it felt genuinely epic and spooky to play in a way that very very few games do.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

DisDisDis posted:

ah yeah i was thinking of the M2/Inf (which, I ran Hoth in actual Infinity once when I was a kid but don't remember much about it) but yeah that thing's a clunker. Kinda rules though I wouldn't play with it

I’m not in love with the M2 hud either tbh, the XBLA version in modern Aleph One is better though still not brilliant.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
yeah just it's scalable with black on the sides similar to how doom is, and had similar initial screen real estate i think. but yeah i use floating x cuz my screen space gets kinda fucky otherwise, dont need to see much besides my ammo really.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i played trespasser many years after its original release, when my dad bought it for me from poundland. it has a lot of flaws, but it felt genuinely epic and spooky to play in a way that very very few games do.

It had some crazy ambition, but was rushed through development. It's a miracle the game even worked at all when they shipped it if we're honest! But it did, and now lives on with this amazing bunch of dedicated fans. If they did it again now, it would fit right in. Open-world, lots of exploration, survival, realism... It was just too soon!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

One, single floppy arm wiggling all over creation picking things up like a tentacle

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

skasion posted:

All three Jedi Knight games completely kick rear end so I vote for that

Dark Forces is not a trilogy. :colbert:

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Best classic FPS statsubar? Why Marathon's gotta be like that.

System Shock, c'mon.

You've got the huge chunky "we know you're trying to play this on a 286" Marathon-style HUD and you've also got the fullscreen, modern-style transparent overlay HUD that still manages to be full of entertaining greebles, plus all the HUD customization settings are entirely in-universe as the Hacker loving around with the display settings on his new implants.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'm going to predict System Shock 1, 2, and 3 will be another perfect trilogy. Same thing with Metro 2033, Last Light, and Exodus.

Considering how Underworld Ascendant went I'm kind of nervous about SS3.

On the other hand, while we're on the topic of Looking Glass, we could go with:
- System Shock, SS2, and Prey'17
- Thief, Thief 2, T2X
- Ultima Underworld, UUW2, Arx Fatalis

and I think any of those would be solid picks, even if it is stretching the definition of "trilogy" somewhat. :v:

(Honourable mention: Strike Force Centauri, Tribes 2, Tribes Vengeance. But that requires us to ignore Tribes 1 and Ascend.)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

Dark Forces is not a trilogy. :colbert:

I love DF but no, definitely not. Jedi trilogy just springs to mind because of how every installment clearly refines the combat mechanics from the last one. It’s really interesting to play the three games in sequence.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
You know what seems to have died? Mech shooters. Like, not full on simulations, but an action game where you're in a god drat mech.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Keiya posted:

You know what seems to have died? Mech shooters. Like, not full on simulations, but an action game where you're in a god drat mech.

Titanfall

E: Were there ever that many non-sims? I can think of Shogo, Slave Zero, Armored Core...

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Hawken! But nobody played it so they took it to a nice server farm upstate

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Keiya posted:

There's a new Mechwarrior coming out this year.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm surprised at the paucity of VR mech games, you'd think it would be a perfect fit.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

haveblue posted:

I'm surprised at the paucity of VR mech games, you'd think it would be a perfect fit.
That Kinect Steel Battalion game probably gave prospective VR mech devs second thoughts about how to control that kind of thing.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Civvie’s Dusk ep2 video is up

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

skasion posted:

That was the best, most badass way he could have possibly opened that video.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Cthulhu boss in Golden Souls II is goddamn bullshit! :argh:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

skasion posted:

I love DF but no, definitely not. Jedi trilogy just springs to mind because of how every installment clearly refines the combat mechanics from the last one. It’s really interesting to play the three games in sequence.

My point was more that Dark Forces, Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight, Dark Forces 3: Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast, and Dark Forces 4: Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Academy is four games. :v:

Personally I think that DF2JK1 is the weakest entry in the series by far; they had a lot of cool ideas for lightsaber combat and force powers that the engine was completely incapable of living up to, and the final bossfight stands out as particularly bad.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Well, poo poo. Went to go play some early morning Battlefield 4 and it turns out all the American servers are lies. They say they have around 55-60 people in them but they really don't, its just a couple dudes and sometimes its totally empty

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I think you have the wrong thread

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

My point was more that Dark Forces, Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight, Dark Forces 3: Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast, and Dark Forces 4: Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Academy is four games. :v:

Personally I think that DF2JK1 is the weakest entry in the series by far; they had a lot of cool ideas for lightsaber combat and force powers that the engine was completely incapable of living up to, and the final bossfight stands out as particularly bad.

Naw JK rules. The lightsaber combat is much rougher than even JK2, and the force powers are an odd and unbalanced lot, but the game succeeds anyway with some great levels and bosses. It looks extremely goofy (and none of the games ever quite overcame the silliness of lightsaber duels where everyone is skating around at Quake 3 speeds flailing at each other as they pass) but I find it fun. The only problem with Jerec is that some of the other boss fights upstage the hell out of him.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

skasion posted:

Naw JK rules. The lightsaber combat is much rougher than even JK2, and the force powers are an odd and unbalanced lot, but the game succeeds anyway with some great levels and bosses. It looks extremely goofy (and none of the games ever quite overcame the silliness of lightsaber duels where everyone is skating around at Quake 3 speeds flailing at each other as they pass) but I find it fun. The only problem with Jerec is that some of the other boss fights upstage the hell out of him.

The thing is that JK2/3 implemented Force Speed as everything around you slowing down while you continue to move at normal speed, and if enemies have it as well they just cancel each other out. JK1, in contrast, implemented it by making whoever cast it rocket uncontrollably around the level at mach 4, completely incapable of hitting or being hit by anything as the slightest control input sends you skating across the map.

The final boss fight is you and another jedi who both have Force Speed in a giant circular room, flying past each other like someone loaded a trebuchet with coked-up clones of Sonic the Hedgehog and hoping that your lightsaber happens to be in the right place to damage the boss in the one-frame window you have as you fly past each other.

It did have some cool levels but they were badly undermined by the actual mechanics of combat.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

All I know about Jedi Knight 1 is that makes for a great game to watch as a speedrun.

I enjoyed the speedrun for Dark Forces a couple years ago too. That one didn’t get as ridiculous as JK1 tho.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The only one I've played was JKA but that was pretty dope.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

All the Jedi games have fun speedruns because they really encourage even the casual player to jump everywhere and go fast af.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

They are all fun games. I remember playing Mysteries of the Sith for the first time and really enjoying the way it explored Kyle as a character and also how you could force choke storm troopers and cut their arms off.

Jedi Knight 2 and Academy are these delightful lightsaber games that lead to epic moments. I loved playing them on PC and when I realised JK2 was on the GameCube I picked it up just for split screen VS bots with a friend. Could play it for hours and have great fun. The tone shifted to be more playful in those games, with JKA having a strong light sabre focus and a much lighter story.

At the end of the day it wasn’t a trilogy and at the end of it with lightsaber combat being third person and OK shooting it only really half-qualifies as an FPS. But seriously, there’s not been as good a light sabre game since. Disney need to write Kyle back into cannon lore and bring this back! :argh:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Tbh I’m not wildly interested in the further adventures of Kyle, he has a pretty fun arc throughout the games and ends up at a good place. I would settle for a Jedi action game that is actually fun, challenging, and well made. Fingers crossed for Fallen Order I guess.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

It’s developed by Respawn right? So it has a chance of being good, if EA are kept off of it enough to let Respawn do their thing :blastu:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

skasion posted:

Pausing the video to see what exactly he wrote there? Worth it ;)

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Tim Thomas posted:

I may be the only person to say this, but Crysis?

Crysis > Crysis 3 > Crysis 2

I'm seemingly one of the only people who enjoyed the end of the original Crysis. I know the North Koreans were more fun to fight but the constantly escalating spectacle of Lingshan being increasingly warped was fantastic.

Crysis 2 reducing the weird, inscrutable aliens into regular soldiers who occasionally jump was a massive step back. Killing Nomad offscreen in a comic book was lame. I did like the body horror aspect of you slowly realizing that you're not playing as Alcartaz, you're playing as the suit controlling a braindead host as a puppet but the rest of the story was just generic.

Crysis 3 tried bringing the series back home and succeeded to a degree. The final epilogue segment almost felt like a sincere dev apology for letting everything we liked about Crysis go in favor of market saturation and console shares.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Man, I loving hated Crysis 2. In the first game you feel like a high-tech supersoldier right off the bat and could tackle these open, island maps any which way you want. In 2, you're weak and slow and have to go through an upgrade system that still makes you feel like a pale shadow of Nomad even by the end of the game, and you're just repeating the same, similar combat arenas. Never got far in 3, can't quite remember why.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The best one was Warhead anyway.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mordja posted:

Man, I loving hated Crysis 2. In the first game you feel like a high-tech supersoldier right off the bat and could tackle these open, island maps any which way you want. In 2, you're weak and slow and have to go through an upgrade system that still makes you feel like a pale shadow of Nomad even by the end of the game, and you're just repeating the same, similar combat arenas. Never got far in 3, can't quite remember why.

:confused:

Crysis 2 lets you do fun stuff with the suit right from the start (which only gets more powerful with upgrades), whereas Crysis 1's suit has you play a garbage idiot who can barely use its powers for more than 5 seconds before running out of battery, and dies in a stiff breeze.

Crysis 2 is way better at actually executing on the core pitch of "badass soldier in a super-suit" than 1 ever was.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Kins posted:

That Kinect Steel Battalion game probably gave prospective VR mech devs second thoughts about how to control that kind of thing.

True, it probably didn't help, but there's a difference between VR controllers and the pure gesture control scheme you have to use with Kinect. You could put controls that need perfect reliability and responsiveness (navigation, fire control, etc) on the physical buttons/sticks and controls that don't (system management, vehicle modes, comms, etc) on virtual levers and switches combined with trigger volumes and an explicit "grab" gesture activation button. Sometimes I imagine I'd experiment with something like this if I had a VR dev rig and wasn't lazy.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 11, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
did that game hawken or whatever that was first advertised when the occulus was a baby dev machine ever come out

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

site posted:

did that game hawken or whatever that was first advertised when the occulus was a baby dev machine ever come out

Hawken did come out, and it was kind of fun. Behind the scenes it was a huge mess. It got passed off from its original developer to another developer, who then got taken over by the guys who made APB Reloaded, who then passed it off to another company confusingly also called Hawken. Hawken set about relaunching Hawken and porting Hawken to consoles, but this was difficult and time-consuming and the development focus was taken away from the PC version, which hemorrhaged its (never large) audience when the relaunch sucked. Hawken was then put quietly to death by Hawken last year. I think it technically lived for 5-6 years and then died without ever escaping Early Access. I’d love to see a detailed postmortem of the game’s development because I think it was really solid in terms of the basic experience, but it squandered its potential in pursuit of a bunch of crappy schemes to make AAA money off a niche game. Kind of similar story to Tribes Ascend.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Crysis 1 speed mode: run at mach 10, literally bowling over Koreans when you run into them
Crysis 2 speed mode: it's a sprint I guess

Crysis 1 armor mode: your default mode, pretty boring but lets you take a beating
Crysis 2: get hard to kill for a short amount of time and move like molasses, uh oh ur out of juice time to die in three shots, this is a console cover shooter now

Crysis 1 strength: hurl buildings at bitches
Crysis 2: there are very few interactive objects in this game

Mordja fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Crysis 2 has really spaced out checkpoints, which is the reason I hated it. If it had Quicksave or something like that I would have enjoyed it.