Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

ahahah jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

A good review will always keep you guessing as to whether or not they played the game or just looked at the screenshots on the back of the box.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Reminds me of the George Woods review that Retsupurae mocked

https://youtu.be/T8vhGSm0rfw

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Random total longshot question: does anyone have Ace Combat 3 (either version) running on original hardware?

The game has hosed up analogue controls in every emulator I've tried, and I wanted to know whether that's an emulation issue or if the original game running on original hardware still has the same problem.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Has anyone played the Nightmare Befors Christmas PS2 game. I just learned that it’s kind of a kid-oriented Devil May Cry clone so I’m intrigued

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Has anyone played the Nightmare Befors Christmas PS2 game. I just learned that it’s kind of a kid-oriented Devil May Cry clone so I’m intrigued

Its extremely absurdly shallow and repetitive and Jack says "soul rubber" when you attack every. single. time.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Star Man posted:

There's also just this awkward timing with the PlayStation Classic where Crash and Spyro got remade within the last year and other PSX remakes have come out. Despite that, Sony has no one else to blame but themselves for the lacking game selection and mismatching of PAL versions of games for North America.

I also believe that the 32-bit era doesn't hold the same sense of nostalgia like the 8-bit and 16-bit eras have. No one is making indy games that recreate the look of something like Tomb Raider II as it was in 1997. Even Nintendo's Disney-like appeal doesn't capture the same sense of nostalgia with the Nintendo 64 like the NES and SNES did.

Considering the bulk of the games were licensed from third parties, I’d say you’re a bit out to lunch on that whole “nobody to blame but themselves” line.

For their first-party releases, they would still have possible issues with licensed music, branding and likenesses in some games. As for the third parties, it comes down to those issues, as well as the corporate agendas involved in getting anything onto the system. People forget that Sony distributed Crash and Spyro in a partnership with Universal, but never owned either property. Universal was bought by Vivendi, and rolled into ActiVision. Look at what it took for ActiVision to finally get around to making the Crash remaster.

The funniest one I’ve seen people whine about is the lack of any of the Tony Hawk games. The number of things making those games hard to license again would be a mammoth undertaking, and that is in a world where ActiVision’s contract with Hawk hadn’t ended with gamers and Tony disgusted by what had become of the games in the last few years of the series. If Hawk and Acti were still on good terms, there would still be a licensing nightmare, as the games not only had licensed soundtracks, but video footage, skateboard graphics, clothing designs, shoes and branding belonging to up to 20 companies per game. Then there’s the levels. Most of the games have at least one level that is a real skatepark, and those layouts and designs are trademarked and copyrighted like golf courses are, so you’d need the park owners and the designer to sign off again. Then there’s the likeness rights for the pros. A lot of gamers who don’t know skateboarding don’t realize that the pros are real people, and their models are based on their real looks, and most skaters in the games have changed sponsors over the years, so you’d have to get permission from their current sponsor and the company they rode for to keep the original boards, or you’d have to license new designs and put those into the old game! And I’m not even going to touch on the bonus characters.

There’s a lot more at play when licensing is involved in anything.

The technical side of it is just inexcusably sloppy, but the inclusion of the PAL versions could have been done for two reasons. 1. Emulating a PAL game at 50fps is less demanding than emulating the 60fps NTSC build.
2. It is possible in some cases that the European branches of some companies may have been the ones contacted for materials, and since the PS1 and 2 were pre-HD, any builds they have would have been PAL! And with the possibly short window the product appeared to have from concept to ship, it may have been a case of shipping what they already had on hand rather than waiting for other materials.

The whole thing is a massive missed opportunity, and something more akin to a streaming box that could have downloaded the pre-packaged PS1 ISOs on the PlayStation Store would have been more ideal, but they wanted it plug and play to go toe-to-toe with Nintnedo’s offerings and put out a dud.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Deadguy2322 posted:

The technical side of it is just inexcusably sloppy, but the inclusion of the PAL versions could have been done for two reasons. 1. Emulating a PAL game at 50fps is less demanding than emulating the 60fps NTSC build.

That's not really how it works by the time you're getting to the PSX. And besides people ran the NTSC versions just fine on the equipment.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
The only other reason I can think of for why they used the PAL version is that in some cases, that was the later release with some bug fixes.

Still, it's a bizarre choice.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

fishmech posted:

That's not really how it works by the time you're getting to the PSX. And besides people ran the NTSC versions just fine on the equipment.

Not true. Most people emulating the PS2 use the PAL ISOs for games that were speed-adjusted for 50Hz to make it less demanding. A weak enough SOC would benefit from the same on PS1 games.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

It is very difficult to understate how much people hated 2D graphics in 1997.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The most grossest thing about Shantae is that Matt Whatshisface declared on Twitter that the title character is 16.

Why the gently caress would you do that. You could have said she's an adult, or just not clarified. There's nothing about the plot or the art, really, that signifies that she's a child. You did that to appeal to creeps. gently caress you!

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

DoctorWhat posted:

The most grossest thing about Shantae is that Matt Whatshisface declared on Twitter that the title character is 16.

Why the gently caress would you do that. You could have said she's an adult, or just not clarified. There's nothing about the plot or the art, really, that signifies that she's a child. You did that to appeal to creeps. gently caress you!

I am so glad I don’t enjoy WayForward games. Makes it very easy not to support them.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ah the days of "If you ain't 3D, you ain't poo poo!"

My personal theory on the major reason for the PS Classic's failure is that the PlayStation brand isn't something people care about. Yeah, it was a technical mess with a ton of problems, but the people going out and buying gizmos for Christmas aren't going to know about that. Instead, people just don't care about PlayStation being it being a means to an end of playing whatever the cool new game is. Sony has been terrible about building game brands of their own, just look at PlayStation All-Stars. Nintendo has a brand, Sony has a platform.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Random Stranger posted:

Nintendo has a brand, Sony has a platform.

This is why I compare Nintendo to Disney a lot.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Random Stranger posted:

Ah the days of "If you ain't 3D, you ain't poo poo!"

My personal theory on the major reason for the PS Classic's failure is that the PlayStation brand isn't something people care about. Yeah, it was a technical mess with a ton of problems, but the people going out and buying gizmos for Christmas aren't going to know about that. Instead, people just don't care about PlayStation being it being a means to an end of playing whatever the cool new game is. Sony has been terrible about building game brands of their own, just look at PlayStation All-Stars. Nintendo has a brand, Sony has a platform.

No, the Classic consoles have a VERY specific market and once word filters through it that the console's bad, it's done.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Im trying to give shadows of the empire a chance

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Cemetry Gator posted:

The only other reason I can think of for why they used the PAL version is that in some cases, that was the later release with some bug fixes.

Still, it's a bizarre choice.

PAL versions may supported multiple languages. Still a poor choice.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Nonviolent J posted:

The first and last levels are good!

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

Doc M posted:

The first and last levels are good!

yeah all i remember as a kid is hoth all range mode, inside the base and using wampa__stompa to get to the end which i know isnt the death star trench but I remember it as

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
To be fair the PlayStation Classic did not have a very good selection of games - they were mostly very early PlayStation releases - and while I have a lot of nostalgia for the PS1 era I’m not going to a buy a device where I only want to play 6 out of 20 games on it.

Never mind that Twisted Metal 2 and 3 were better than 1, or that Persona and FFVII are the only 2 RPGs on a relaunch of a system known for RPGs.

There is tons of nostalgia for early PlayStation aesthetics and games right now - look at YouTube - people are still obsessed over Xenogears and FFVIII, the early Tony Hawk games, Chrono Cross, Vagrant Story, etc. - but probably not many people are still into the first Rainbow Six game, or Mr. Driller, or Intelligent Qube.

It just seems like they rushed to launch a bad product. I wouldn’t take much more than that away from the failure of the PlayStation Classic. If the same machine had FF 7-9, Vagrant Story, and Xenogears I would buy it for those five games alone.

Resident Evil Director’s Cut and Syphon Filter without a Dual Shock controller? Jumping Flash? No one wants these things.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Like i said earlier, they thought Nintendo classics sell well, PS4 is near 100 million, retro gaming is cool and youtube will be filled with people playing it, how could it fail?

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
I mean just partner with Square and release all their major PS1 games on a box. Parasite Eve 1&2, FF 4-9, Chrono Trigger, FF Tactics, Ehergiz, Vagrant Story, Bushido Blade, Brave Fencer Musashi, Front Mission 3, Legend of Mana, Threads of Fate, Saga Frontier, Chrono Cross, and Chocobo Racing.

People would buy the poo poo out of that, and licensing would only involve one company that no doubt retained IP rights to everything in its games in the original contracts.

If Square didn’t want to do it, then it wouldn’t fly, but they already sell most of those games on other platforms. It would take two meetings and some phone calls to lawyers to finalize the deal.

Something smart like this will never happen though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, the Classic consoles have a VERY specific market and once word filters through it that the console's bad, it's done.

You don't become the hottest product of the holiday season, selling out everywhere by catering to a niche.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Be Depressive posted:

I mean just partner with Square and release all their major PS1 games on a box. Parasite Eve 1&2, FF 4-9, Chrono Trigger, FF Tactics, Ehergiz, Vagrant Story, Bushido Blade, Brave Fencer Musashi, Front Mission 3, Legend of Mana, Threads of Fate, Saga Frontier, Chrono Cross, and Chocobo Racing.

People would buy the poo poo out of that, and licensing would only involve one company that no doubt retained IP rights to everything in its games in the original contracts.

If Square didn’t want to do it, then it wouldn’t fly, but they already sell most of those games on other platforms. It would take two meetings and some phone calls to lawyers to finalize the deal.

Something smart like this will never happen though.

That would be nice, but part of the problem is, as you say, many of those games are already available for a ton of platforms including phone/PC, and the others probably wouldn't be major draws.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

Random Stranger posted:

You don't become the hottest product of the holiday season, selling out everywhere by catering to a niche.

While this is true to a point, the Playstation Classic could've enjoyed moderate success among the 'gamer' community if it was executed properly. The shear amount of preorder cancellations posted on gaming forums/twitter after the first reports of performance issues and bad reviews came out was pretty intense. It was dead in the water after that.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Be Depressive posted:

You left out Einhander. :argh:

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

So in that interview about the Sd2snespro, is Krizz saying the custom APU Implementation won’t work with the SuperNT?

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

not as bad as this guy

quote:

The moustachioed plumber had been presumed by most of his fans to be in middle age, largely based on his moustache and wise face. But a newly unearthed interview with his creator, Shigeru Miyamoto, says that in fact the only thing definitely true about the character is that he in his mid 20s.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

Matt Bozon being a creep isn't anything new if you've seen the concept art for the first game or the spanking gif from the cancelled GBA game. The series is just super skeevy.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
The Shantae games are the answer to the question "What if eurotrash platformer, but explicitly by and for the Sex Offender Registry"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Random Stranger posted:

In the case of the SNES, it helps to have a few difficult to emulate games (as well as the 'exclusive' StarFox sequel).

The NES was just a case of "we made 20 of these hope you find one lol" in addition to being a convenient way to get some of those games on a modern screen with HDMI.

The pricing did no favors for the PS, either.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Nonviolent J posted:

Don’t bother, it’s crap.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Star Man posted:

This is why I compare Nintendo to Disney a lot.

Eisner-Era Disney, definitely. Profit above all else, retread everything that was popular, no regard for real quality since everyone will insist your crap is magic.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Deadguy2322 posted:

Eisner-Era Disney, definitely. Profit above all else, retread everything that was popular, no regard for real quality since everyone will insist your crap is magic.

Hmmmmmm

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Eisner was ruthless in extracting every penny he could with minimum investment or care for artistry. Dude was letting the parks rot because of how much they cheaped out on maintenance.

We'd be on the 4th DTV Frozen film (this one introduces Cinder, the princess who controls fire!) If he were still in charge.

Current Disney is really calculating and recognizes the insane value their IP holds (and the value of their acquisitions). They've backed off of the Star Wars train because Solo reached the topping point and they don't want to ruin the gravy train.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Deadguy2322 posted:

I am so glad I don’t enjoy WayForward games. Makes it very easy not to support them.

Aliens: Infestation is real good.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Remember that time Michael Eisner took a paycut so that he wouldn't have to lay off any employees?

I don't either.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

DoctorWhat posted:

Was this before or after they gave her 3D boobs on the 3DS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Xenomrph posted:

Aliens: Infestation is real good.

It is. Wayforward has made some really good games: Thor, boy and his blob, contra 4, but I never liked Shantae.

Their difficulty varies wildly though. They’re all either baby easy or hair pullingly hard