Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

chef (2014)

jon favreau is a hack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i really like sandwiches ok

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think the only movie we saw in a theater this season was You Were Never Really Here, which was really good. Lynne Ramsay only seems to direct a feature film about once every 6-7 years, which is great because that's about how often I want to go out and see a movie.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

homeless snail posted:

I watched the aladdin trailer, my question now is: why is will smith blue via cgi, why didn't they just paint him blue. his pasted on face is real wobbly

Disney live action remakes are worst than comic book movies. I don't think theres been a single good one of these films.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What's the best movie adaptation of a video game? I've only ever seen Prince of Persia, which was bad

And Mario I guess but I don't remember it at all

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I hope the Monster Hunter movie is fun and not serious

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

still Mortal Kombat

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Jay Rust posted:

What's the best movie adaptation of a video game? I've only ever seen Prince of Persia, which was bad

Silent Hill

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jay Rust posted:

Streetfighter by far

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mario is a dark cyberpunk movie probably recreated from a canceled script for Max Headroom so it's really fun if you ignore the source material.

Silent Hill is also kind of good because it's a 90s French horror film with great practical effects and real sets then the sequel had half the budget and was all CG that looked worse than the games.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

I'm a ways into Iconoclasts, and the tower area I just completed is some of the most non-fun I've had in a video game in a long time.

There's something...off about the game in general, I can't quite put my finger on what. Like the writing and story on its face is not awful but it flows very weirdly and I'm constantly confused by why things are happening and why I should care. And while the gameplay is generally solid the upgrade path with the tweaks is kind of unsatisfying.

I don't know. I'm vaguely disappointed with it at the moment but a friend of mine loved it so much that I feel pretty compelled to press on.
There were so many lines of dialogue. It was insane. I really just question why it was a Metroidvania, you get like 4 upgrades the whole game and skip through 800,000 lines of exposition.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

does retroactively qualifying drive as hotline miami the movie count

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Phantasium posted:

still Mortal Kombat

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Resident Evil movies are trash but a fun sort of trash.

The best video game movie is actually Edge of Tomorrow because it's about savescumming.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

haveblue posted:

The Resident Evil movies are trash but a fun sort of trash.

They do perfectly embody the spirit of the games.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

its final fantasy: legend of the crystals

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oh if edge of tomorrow counts i'll vote for that too

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

MGS4

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I lied, MGS4 sucks

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Why did they never make a video game about Blade

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

After the tower in iconoclasts is about when it starts giving you the information you need to figure out what the gently caress is going on

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

haveblue posted:

Why did they never make a video game about Blade

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps/913931-blade

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

quote:

rival vampire clams

Wow

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Video game movie power rankings:

Street Fighter
Warcraft
Tomb Raider (Alicia Vikander)
Mortal Kombat
Final Fantasy The Spirits Within
Resident Evil
Silent Hill
Doom
Prince of Persia
Assassin's Creed
Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li

Tomb Raider (Angelina Jolie)

DOA: Dead or Alive

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Jay Rust posted:

The Street Fighter 2 anime movie and Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva are both good.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I thought the warcraft movie was supposed to be incredibly boring but DOA actually kind of fun? Though I've not seen either myself.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

chumbler posted:

I thought the warcraft movie was supposed to be incredibly boring a DOA actually kind of fun? Though I've not seen either myself.

Correct for both. DOA is right up there with MK, Resident Evil and Street Fighter for being bad and fun.

The Warcraft movie is just bad.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Andrast posted:

I lied, MGS4 sucks

It rules, actually

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I think I have seen a Tomb Raider movie, but I only remember that it had the guy who plays the hologram in Red Dwarf in it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Warcraft was garbage but it made a shitload of money in China of all places.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

the DOA movie is entirely made up of hot ladies doing sexy bikini beach volleyball montages and slowmo kickfighting, so it's the most accurate game-to-film adaptation ever made

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

An MGS movie would be really bad

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

An MGS movie would be really bad
look forward to the mgs movie, directed by the guy that directed kong: skull island

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The first Angelina Jolie Tomb Raider is the perfect cultural artifact of late 90s/early 2000s action movie sensibilities. Just "how much can we make this like the Matrix" in every single category.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Barudak posted:

Beat Shadow of the Tomb Raider, lets have a chat about how much I hate two walls close together you have to shimmy through and how videogames do not understand what earning your narrative means.

I'm never gonna play it, what do you mean by earning your narrative? What does the game do that is bad?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Warcraft is the only video game movie I enjoy.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Barudak posted:

Beat Shadow of the Tomb Raider, lets have a chat about how much I hate two walls close together you have to shimmy through and how videogames do not understand what earning your narrative means.

isn't the walls thing basically just how it hides loading?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
They should make a movie based on Capcm's hit game Under the Skin. It's about an alien taking the form of humans and there's a whole level based on Resident Evil 3 with Jill and Nemesis showing up.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The ironic thing with Hollywood video game adaptions is they barely ever adapt games that could actually really work as movies.

Like Grim Fandango could make for an amazing animated movie and you could fit the whole story into one standalone film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Jay Rust posted:

I think I have seen a Tomb Raider movie, but I only remember that it had the guy who plays the hologram in Red Dwarf in it

Chris Barrie, who during the manor siege has an awesome moment where he's woken up by the gunfire and calmly puts on a bulletproof vest and slippers and grabs a shotgun with a weary look like this is not the first time a private army has stormed Croft Manor.

I love the first Jolie Tomb Raider movie because it is a fun global conspiracy action movie with some great set pieces, then it all falls apart at the end when the studio seemingly realised to their horror that they forgot to put a romantic subplot in so Lara suddenly has to express romantic feelings that haven't even been hinted at through the entire movie to Daniel Craig while he's being crushed to death by a giant model of the solar system.

Cradle of Life is horrible though.