Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Minecraft Holmes posted:

Most boomers weren't hippies, it was a countercultural movement which by definition means that's a minority

Most boomers wore collared button ups tucked into their slacks in their 20s and bitched about the smell of pot smoke and the degeneration of society from the civil rights movement that happened during their childhoods

Back when Romney was running for prez they showed some of the footage of the pro-veitnam-war protests and the other awful poo poo Romney was front and center of and my mom got chills down her back and was all "man I was hoping I'd never have to hear that bullshit again, it was everywhere back then"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Shame Boy posted:

Back when Romney was running for prez they showed some of the footage of the pro-veitnam-war protests and the other awful poo poo Romney was front and center of and my mom got chills down her back and was all "man I was hoping I'd never have to hear that bullshit again, it was everywhere back then"

I remember reading -- maybe even a post here -- that the hippie movement eventually became overblown after the fact: both by hippies who wanted to inflate and romanticize their involvement and effect; and by the anti-hippie conservatives who wanted to inflate how much of a threat they had become, like conservatives who blamed hippies for losing in Vietnam, or Richard Nixon using hippies as a scare tactic.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/Jamie_Woodward_/status/1094688028130504704

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mojo1701a posted:

I remember reading -- maybe even a post here -- that the hippie movement eventually became overblown after the fact: both by hippies who wanted to inflate and romanticize their involvement and effect; and by the anti-hippie conservatives who wanted to inflate how much of a threat they had become, like conservatives who blamed hippies for losing in Vietnam, or Richard Nixon using hippies as a scare tactic.

p. sure hst's high-water-mark monologue largely summarizes the reality of both the effect and thought process of the hippie movement

My Mother The Car
Feb 15, 2001
When does the hurting stop?

Alobar posted:

Thanks for the insight. I sometimes tell my friends who don't live here (most live in Virginia) that San Francisco isn't some sort of liberal hippie town. Some people here still try to sell me on the "oh man, 10 years ago, before the techies came, it was *so* much better," and I'm like, gently caress that, this doesn't happen over the course of 5 years. This is deeply ingrained inequality, segregation, and economic exploitation. I've had to turn down jobs at michelin star restaurants because they don't pay me enough, and one of them is literally 3 blocks away from me. That's soul crushing.

I work with one chef who did a lot of stuff in New York, and he says that he feels safer in NYC than in SF. Where people are busy and they're passing each other by on the street in NYC, he said they're like "gently caress you!" "nah, man, gently caress you!" "ah whatever, gently caress off!" and that's the end of it because they have somewhere to be and poo poo to do. He said that when he's riding his bike around here people will turn their car around and get out and talk poo poo to him. That's coming from the guy who told me a story about having to escape down a fire escape and run away from a crazy coke dealer trying to shoot him. I've had a guy get in my face before over some stupid traffic thing out here, and I had to tell him "hey. what you're doing is pretty stupid. you have no idea who I am," and the guy was like "....yeah this is pretty stupid." I asked him what would make him do such a thing, and he said he was stressed out because he was going to go spread his grandma's ashes over something. So, obviously, I asked him if this is the sort of the thing his grandma would want him doing. He ended up apologizing and shaking my hand and...thanking me?

Long story short, this city has a reputation that could not be further from reality.

I spent three years cooking in SF and it broke me in such a huge way. I had line cooks traveling an hour to a job that for 16$ an hour at top-tier places where the experience is meant to be a form of compensation.

I worked at a place off of Maiden Lane and got to walk past homeless folks sleeping in the vestibule of the Gucci store. I finally got my limit when one of the Barons of Telegraph Hill funded a ballot measure to make rough sleeping illegal and authorization of breaking down the few meager possessions the people on the street have; also taking their companion animals.

SF is a garbage place for garbage people.

I do miss the Ferry Building Farmers market though; the stonefruit was loving incredible.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Im just posting this in half a dozen appropriate threads because it just tickled me this morning

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

ok that's it gently caress this earth all the way to hell

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

p. sure hst's high-water-mark monologue largely summarizes the reality of both the effect and thought process of the hippie movement

Sounds interesting, any chance I could grab a link? :)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

T-man posted:

Sounds interesting, any chance I could grab a link? :)

It's in the movie, pretty much verbatim, but here's the original:

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/1074-strange-memories-on-this-nervous-night-in-las-vegas-five

Specifically this bit:

quote:

And that, I think, was the handle—that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn’t need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting—on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .

So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark—that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
You start messing with grilled cheese, that's where I draw the line

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Pirate Radar posted:

some of the things people write in to Ask a Manager about are extremely corporatehellworld.txt

quote:

I have a situation that is so out there I almost wouldn’t believe it if it wasn’t happening to me. The company I work at has three branches and around 100 employees. The owner of the company has a brother who needs a liver transplant. Two weeks ago, a company-wide memo went out that all employees would be required to undergo testing to see if they were a suitable liver donor for the owners brother. No exceptions.

Last week at the branch the owner works out of most of the time, his assistant went around to schedule days off for everyone so they could go get tested. People who declined were let go. One of these people was born with liver disease and therefore ineligible to donate. She had a doctor’s note. Other people also had medical reasons as well and some were just uncomfortable with the request and didn’t want to do it. One was pregnant. They were still terminated. My employer’s assistant has said that because our employment is at will, he can legally fire us.

I’m in remission from cancer. I’m ineligible to donate and any kind of surgery would put a major strain on my system. Even if I was healthy, I would still object to possibly being forced into donating an organ just to keep my job. Soon they will be scheduling people’s days off for testing at my branch.

I know this situation is nuts, but I don’t know what to do. I know I could just go for the testing and then be declined, but I don’t think I should have to do that. I’ve had enough with hospitals. Other coworkers who don’t have medical conditions are afraid they won’t be declined because they will be a match. I’m looking for another job but in the meantime I don’t know what to do and I and many of my coworkers are really stressed out.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I feel like that's more than "other duties as required" and at-will probably wouldn't cover that even in corporate-owned hellworld.

E: Especially people with illnesses or that are pregnant, that's 100% a protected class even without anything else.

22 Eargesplitten has issued a correction as of 19:47 on Feb 11, 2019

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

jesus loving christ

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I feel like that's more than "other duties as required" and at-will probably wouldn't cover that even in corporate-owned hellworld.

With at-will employment you can get fired for no stated reason and good luck proving this dumb liver thing was the "real" reason behind you getting fired and not "they don't like your face" or "you came in a minute late once"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Shame Boy posted:

With at-will employment you can get fired for no stated reason and good luck proving this dumb liver thing was the "real" reason behind you getting fired and not "they don't like your face" or "you came in a minute late once"

If it was one person, yeah. But if they're firing a whole bunch of people over this I can see a decent case being made.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

:killing:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Civil cases are preponderance of evidence, meaning more likely than not rather than beyond reasonable doubt. If multiple people are getting fired after refusing to get tested (or refusing to donate) after a mandated medical test like that (already questionable legally since liver compatibility has nothing to do with work) the evidence is pretty heavily on their side.

It's just like how they could fire every black person supposedly for being late one minute, but as soon as it goes in front of a judge it's going to be pretty obvious what actually happened.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

The Snoo posted:

jesus loving christ

quote:

I’m an administrator for a private recovery and mental health center, not a clinical or medical staff member, so I’m not at risk for emotional burn-out. We were notified last year that we now have a mandatory group therapy session as a staff first thing in the morning (8 am) and before we leave (5:30 pm) and that all staff must participate. I’m a salaried employee and I don’t get overtime. I come in at 7 am and leave at 3:30. We’re expected now to stay until the 5:30 session, but I can’t alter the time I come in. I’m essentially working for an extra two hours for free daily. But that’s not all, this new policy is so screwed up for the following reasons:

1. We’re expected to fully “therapize” in the session — it’s not just checking with everyone on how their day was or like a morning meeting. We had to fill out paperwork about our childhood and life trauma that asked if we were sexually abused. I was horrified at the personal things our manager is expecting us to divulge to him.

2. Being forced to go to therapy at work, twice a day, performed by my own boss and in front of my coworkers feels invasive and kind of abusive. In short, it feels batshit. I have no idea where my boss got this idea – it’s not a state or executive board requirement.

3. It impacts my schedule in unfixable ways: each session is an hour so my day is a mad scramble of trying to fit in my important tasks around what I’ve started to call “my daily brow-beatings.” It makes me start my days on edge, and it makes work feel unsafe and weird.

There are a million of these, and her usual response to even the most insane stuff is "Well, that's legal, but it's really crappy, and no decent company would ever do this, and you should push back on it!"

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Civil cases are preponderance of evidence, meaning more likely than not rather than beyond reasonable doubt. If multiple people are getting fired after refusing to get tested (or refusing to donate) after a mandated medical test like that (already questionable legally since liver compatibility has nothing to do with work) the evidence is pretty heavily on their side.

It's just like how they could fire every black person supposedly for being late one minute, but as soon as it goes in front of a judge it's going to be pretty obvious what actually happened.

Googling that case also turned up this:

quote:

This employer is violating the Americans with Disability Act (ADA). The ADA’s purpose is broader than just protecting individuals with disabilities from unlawful discrimination and requiring employers to offer individuals with disabilities reasonable accommodations to perform the essential functions of their jobs. The ADA also prohibits employers from requiring employees to submit to medical examinations and medical inquiries, unless those medical examinations and medical inquiries are job-related and consistent with business necessity.

In this case, the employer’s requirement to undergo a medical examination (and presumably to undergo further medical procedures if the employee is a good match) has nothing to do with the business. It has nothing to do with the operations of the company and the employees’ ability to perform their jobs. Therefore, the employer is violating the federal ADA (and probably other state and local laws) by requiring employees to undergo this testing (which is not job-related and not consistent with business necessity) and by terminating the employment of those who refuse.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Literally just struggle sessions lmao

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

Halloween Jack posted:

There are a million of these, and her usual response to even the most insane stuff is "Well, that's legal, but it's really crappy, and no decent company would ever do this, and you should push back on it!"

lmao the liver "donation" response:

As for what to do, you could have a lawyer explain this to your employer on your behalf, and/or file a complaint with the EEOC, the federal agency that enforces the ADA. (Note that you have to file it within 180 days from the violation.)

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I would think siblings would normally be pretty good matches for something like organ transplant, yeah?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Why donate yourself when a serf can do it for you?

necroid
May 14, 2009

this might be a really stupid question but what are you supposed to do after you've donated your liver to someone else? can you live without one?

also what the gently caress?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

necroid posted:

this might be a really stupid question but what are you supposed to do after you've donated your liver to someone else? can you live without one?

Then you have to get a liver from your co-worker

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Negrostrike posted:

Then you have to get a liver from your co-worker

So, who's starting up the first liver donation pyramid scheme?

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

necroid posted:

generally you donate half of it and then it grows back to a similar size. still an insanely hosed up situation though

also who wants to guess that the boss wouldn't pay for the medical expenses and time off required if one of their employees did actually donate lmao

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

necroid posted:

livers are pretty neat because you can cut off a chunk of a healthy one, and then both parts grow back to nearly full size in a few months

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Wasn't there a case where an employee donated an organ to their boss and then got fired because they required medical leave?

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Zoran posted:

livers are pretty neat because you can cut off a chunk of a healthy one, and then both parts grow back to nearly full size in a few months

If livers are so resilient, why don't they just replace all our body parts with livers? :jerry:

necroid
May 14, 2009

terrified of my bathroom posted:

generally you donate half of it and then it grows back to a similar size. still an insanely hosed up situation though

also who wants to guess that the boss wouldn't pay for the medical expenses and time off required if one of their employees did actually donate lmao

Zoran posted:

that's pretty cool, I didn't know that!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

lmao if you don’t absolutely hold your healthy match liver over your boss’s head and demand an exorbitant amount of money for the privilege of you donating. lol if you get fired and he dies as well

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Just look up how much livers are on the market and tell your boss you're not doing it for any less.

Bing bong so simple, the market works.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Obviously what happened was "those blacks are lazy therefore it makes perfect sense that they'd happen to be fired more often for being late, case dismissed" depending on what part of the country you're in and which president appointed the judge.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

Wasn't there a case where an employee donated an organ to their boss and then got fired because they required medical leave?

Yes

https://abcnews.go.com/News/york-mom-fired-donating-kidney-boss/story?id=16195691

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Shame Boy posted:

Obviously what happened was "those blacks are lazy therefore it makes perfect sense that they'd happen to be fired more often for being late, case dismissed" depending on what part of the country you're in and which president appointed the judge.

Well I mean there was that case where a first-grader was shoved in a broom closet for not participating in the "voluntary" bible study and the court dismissed the case for failure to state a claim, but the appeal resulted in the higher court sending it back to the initial court with the equivalent of "F, please see notes and correct your work." The problem is that relies on having the money to maintain a lawsuit.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

necroid posted:

Hey I wanted to chime in here as I work as a biostatistician at a major transplant center.

The liver is the only "solid" organ that gets transplanted (kidney/liver/pancreas/heart/lung) that can regenerate. So yes you can get a whole liver, but you can also get a part of one from a living donor (I believe it's one or two lobes). You also have deceased donors who sometimes give part of their liver to two different people, but that's pretty rare.

http://columbiasurgery.org/liver/living-donor-liver-transplantation-faqs

As for siblings being good matches, it depends on blood type (ABO compatibility). Identical twins of course will always match, and this was the first ever kidney transplant done by James Medewar. This was mainly done because there was no immunosuppression at the time, but being identical twins it wasn't needed.

Sometimes if you have two relatives that are not compatible, there will be a paired exchange:

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/transplant/programs/kidney/incompatible/paired_kidney_exchange.html

Back to livers, one interesting thing to note is that deceased donors are much more common in the US, but in East Asia, it's quite the opposite, presumably due to cultural or religious reasons. It is considered your duty to donate to another family member, however many people there have objections to having their organs removed after death. South Korea has one medical center called Asan which is their only transplant center, and they have a huge volume of LD transplants. Also liver disease is quite a bit more common there, specifically hepatitis.

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 20:54 on Feb 11, 2019

Serf
May 5, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Why donate yourself when a serf can do it for you?

you keep your hands off my organs

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
in the end the ADA defense might not even matter because most people won't know their rights or have access to the means to fight for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Serf posted:

you keep your hands off my organs

No.