Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Stringent posted:

That's a great idea, did you come up with it yourself?

Sorta. There's a restaurant near me that has a similar dish so I did my best to recreate it but I just winged the recipe and adjusted it to taste as I went. I was pretty happy with it in the end. I will probably up the spice on the sweet potatoes next time because the goat cheese can balance out a good amount of heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Raikiri posted:

Man, I need to get a sous vide, the steak looks perfect.

I made burgers, brioche and triple cooked sweet potato chips:

Tell me more about these triple cooked sweet potato fries. Whenever I make sweet potato fries they turn out more like roasted sweet potatoes if I'm lucky.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
You cooked the potatoes three times and that burger an half.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You cooked the potatoes three times and that burger an half.

It was a touch rare, not gonna lie. Still ate it though.

TheCog posted:

Tell me more about these triple cooked sweet potato fries. Whenever I make sweet potato fries they turn out more like roasted sweet potatoes if I'm lucky.

Parboil, toss with salt, pepper, smoked paprika and corn flour, Bake for 25 mins then fry for a bit.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I was trying to hide the clutter behind my chopping board but this is 140f pork loin that was in for about 2 and a half hours before a sear

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Alton Brown's portobello mushroom stroganoff

Super rich and creamy and, thanks to the goat cheese, has a nice tanginess that really sets it apart from other stroganoff I've made

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Not the best of photos, but

this

turned into this

crumb shot

(made sloppy joes but didn't get a great photo of that so we'll have to go with just the buns, more or less this recipe https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/beautiful-burger-buns-recipe )

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Today I made Japanese-style Keema curry, using this recipe: https://www.justonecookbook.com/keema-curry/

It's absolutely NOT a diet food, but it is also very very tasty.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Jose posted:

I was trying to hide the clutter behind my chopping board but this is 140f pork loin that was in for about 2 and a half hours before a sear

so juicy

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Stir fried tomato and eggs. Top tier lazy food.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Crosspost from the baking thread, I made soft pretzels stuffed with spinach and artichoke dip and you bet that's what I had for dinner (and breakfast)

Calypso
Sep 28, 2001

Grimey Drawer

large hands posted:

Crosspost from the baking thread, I made soft pretzels stuffed with spinach and artichoke dip and you bet that's what I had for dinner (and breakfast)

drat. Now I’m going to make the dip and spread it on warm croissants.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Calypso posted:

drat. Now I’m going to make the dip and spread it on warm croissants.

Making grilled cheese with the leftover dip tonight :getin:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Casu Marzu posted:

Oh man. Never made that with noodles before. I need to try that sometime.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

large hands posted:

I would do things with my mouth to these pretzels.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Casu Marzu posted:

That looks pretty drat good.

Tea last night, and something comforting after a long day... Curry potato, finished with charred onion, peas, punchpooran and plenty of mustard seeds, topped off with some lovely soft boiled eggs.

I always seem to go for the spice cabinet and the flavours of India when comfort is involved... I guess it's just one of those things that make me happy. And something like this - rich, and warm, and mild - just does the job nicely on a cold winter's day.

Oh, and I had a productive weekend sorting out (most) of my collection of herbs, spices, and other ingredients:

Still room for another set of 12 hexagonal and 4 square jars, that should just about cover things nicely. The hex jars fairly comfortably fit the size of most small trade supply bags, so it's worked out pretty much ideal.

Not pictured because it's in another cupboard - even more jars like this full of botanicals for infusing spirits. (Which are also useful ingredients).

Olpainless fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 5, 2019

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Based on a Blue Apron recipe, spicy peanut chicken thigh with berbere, sauteed kale with garlic, and jasmine rice

Pan seared scallops, cucumber salad, sticky coconut rice

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Apropos of nothing there's a NICSA goin on. Secret ingredient beans! Join in the cooking.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3880552

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
It's been a long while since I've had anything genuinely meaty - and although I still plan to eat a lot more vegetarian meals and make my diet a lot more sustainable, sometimes it's nice to make something different. And wouldn't want my kitchen skills to get rusty...

So today for tea, I've cooked up some slow roasted pork belly slices marinated in mustard, honey, garlic, herbs and oil... Served on braised leek and cavalo nero with a stock and mustard cooking liquid. Really simple, really tasty.

Was a bit late home, so didn't have time to make the intended side for this (I feel it would have gone wonderfully with some creamy mashed potatoes loaded with chives and grana padano.)

Still delicious though.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Made a masala in the pc.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
That masala looks delicious.

I made meatball subs--didn't think to take a picture after plating but here they are on the baking tray in all their saucy, cheesy glory

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

toplitzin posted:

Made a masala in the pc.

Hell yeah.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

toplitzin posted:

Made a masala in the pc.

You got a recipe for that?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Made some pad thai. Peanuts, cilantro, and lime will be added at lunchtime tomorrow.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Made some pad thai. Peanuts, cilantro, and lime will be added at lunchtime tomorrow.

Looks delicious. Did you follow a particular recipe?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Random Hero posted:

Looks delicious. Did you follow a particular recipe?

Honestly most of the things I cook are based on a jumble of different recipes. My wife has lots of food allergies so when I make something from recipe it’s usually highly modified and switched around.

This is the recipe I have written down. The sauce comes from one or two other recipes. The rest of the process is just what has worked for me.

“Sauce:
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1.5 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon minced garlic
A few good shakes of chili powder.

Pre warm rice noodles in warm/hot water for a few minutes until they’re mostly cooked. Strain.

In wok sauté shrimp (or tofu, or chicken) with a little oil until par cooked. Add pre-warmed rice noodles and mix together. Push to side and drop in two eggs to briefly scramble and then stir up and mix into noodles and shrimp. Pour in the sauce. Turn temp to high and add shaved carrot, mung bean sprouts, chopped scallions. Stir all together.

Serve and garnish with crushed peanuts (preferably toasted), chopped cilantro and lime wedges “

I pretty much follow that recipe for pad thai. In the above picture, I marinated the tofu in soy sauce and some spices first. Then tossed them in some cornflour before they hit the stove.

Bloodfart McCoy fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 10, 2019

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Sex Hobbit posted:

You got a recipe for that?

close enough
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/01/quick-easy-pressure-cooker-chicken-and-chickpea-masala.html

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

“Sauce:
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1.5 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon minced garlic
A few good shakes of chili powder.

Thanks. This looks like a good one and I typically have all of these ingredients ready to go.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Dinner again

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Fabulous, thanks.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
Made some delicious shawarma bowls last night using the rub and marinade from here and the white sauce from the Serious Eat's halal cart recipe.

In the bowl, there's meat (flank and chicken thigh), tomatoes, cucumbers, roasted chickpeas, iceberg lettuce, white sauce and sriracha. I'll definitely be making this again.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Dang that looks good. You may have motivated me to finally make that recipe - I’ve had it saved for forever, but always end up skipping it because the recipe list looks long and I’m lazy.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

Democratic Pirate posted:

Dang that looks good. You may have motivated me to finally make that recipe - I’ve had it saved for forever, but always end up skipping it because the recipe list looks long and I’m lazy.

I really had most of it already, and if you follow the recipe for the shawarma seasoning, it makes A LOT. I cut everything in half and I have enough for at least 4-5 more times.

Also, the white sauce is delicious and could go on a lot of things other than this.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Fresh rolls are *so fuckin good*.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

silvergoose posted:

While the images were loading, I was saying to myself "I hope these aren't bread rolls". I'm pleased but also now hungry again, dammit.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

silvergoose posted:

Always keep bánh tráng on hand in the pantry

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I did a Full Midwest.

Creamed chicken and noodles on mashed potatoes.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

silvergoose posted:

These look great! We do a housemate dinner with these, people bring different ingredients and make stuff, then we all make the rolls at the table together as we eat. It's a nice change up from hotpot.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah we're gonna keep wrappers on hand forever now.

The peanut sauce is the cheatiest though. Peanut butter, hoisin, sweet chili sauce, and something to thin it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Liquid Communism posted:

I did a Full Midwest.

Creamed chicken and noodles on mashed potatoes.

Looks great. I've been having a hankering for the comfort food of my youth, chicken thighs and rice cooked in cream of mushroom soup. You may have inspired me to whip up a batch sooner rather than later.