Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Koalas March posted:

She is black and using a common AAVE phrase popularized by a song. She even used the music emotes.

It's disingenuous and stripping AAVE of it's meaning and cultural clout. It means money. Y'all don't get to change the lyric meaning because you want to.

I'm so sick non black people deciding our words and culture don't matter, and have no history.

Kale's at it again, eh? Shocking. Real shocker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

pookel posted:

I am a lady, but I thought I was being pretty specific when I said the pop culture reference to money WAS the problem, it has nothing to do with the name Benjamin.

I'm a fan of Ilhan Omar. I just think sometimes she's naive about anti-Semitism and as a result she trips on things that sound unfortunate to Jews (and thus are easily weaponized by the right). I am hoping she learns how to avoid that in the future.

The lobbyists and anti-progressives will see whatever they want you to be outraged about and they will succeed so long as we stop attacking these ghouls.

Omar is in deep, we shouldn’t let the party bury her.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

No Safe Word posted:

not to mention that he's #1 on a ton of those lists because guess what he raised a metric fuckton of money from everyone

and the "PAC only" list that was linked wasn't PAC only it was the same link twice in that post

like, i get it, i don't want President Beto either, but it seems dumb to pretend he was a terrible candidate when he did better than any democratic senate candidate has done in a very, very long time, and also helped drive turnout that got a bunch of genuine leftists elected all over the state.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Every losing Senate Democrat was blown out except lazy-rear end Nelson and Beto, going against incumbency advantage. Texas has more Republicans than Democrats and they have automatic straight-ticket voting with dozens of candidates on the ballot.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 11, 2019

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

very cool that a guy who got stupid rich committing massive medicare fraud gets to keep getting elected to high office!

Someone should do a “very cool” red letter media montage but reviewing Republicans.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yronic heroism posted:

Someone should do a “very cool” red letter media montage but reviewing Republicans.

lol i'd love a supercut of dozens of trump's speaking gently caress ups with mike going "very cool" after each one.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Failed Imagineer posted:

I mean, its not even just that. She was also clearly referring to Benjamin Netanyahu, and presumably the fact that it's a common Israeli name.

...:psyduck: no, she wasn't. She was referencing a loving P. Diddy song.

Unless this is some weapons-grade sarcasm I'm missing, what the hell?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

yronic heroism posted:

Do they get to smash & destroy them at the end like they do on best of the worst?

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Omar obv should have referenced The Million Dollar Man Ted Dibiase's theme song instead and we wouldn't be in this sticky wicket.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Failed Imagineer posted:

If you think "All About the Benjamins" is an anti-Semitic slur, your brain must be smoother than a billiard ball. Goddamn America is so loving dumb

They don't. No one does.

Kale
May 14, 2010

SocketWrench posted:

People have been waiting to shoot the freshmen down for a while now. Anything she said relating to Israel that sounded like a criticism was going to draw fire since she is Palestinian and should learn her place according to the old guard and Israel

I mean that's entirely a theoretical, but what we have in the here or now is just kind of a bad comment IMO. Try the old trick of switching out the name for another name closely associated with a specific religion and see how it comes across. Basically I agree with the position, the comment though feels like it's only opened her up to distraction tactics by the GOP and a divide with Democratic party leaders which doesn't help her position much at all.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

The only people "riled up" are Republicans (who already hate her for being Muslim), the Democratic leadership (they're cowards), and Democrats who take money from AIPAC (cowards). She has nothing to apologize for and the only way "all about the Benjamins" is anti-Semitic is if you stand your head, wear x-ray specs, squint, and listen to Mozart.

Read the thread for her twitter account, there's plenty of people that are clearly not Republican hack jobs that are wondering why that approach and are disappointed. It's also kind of pretty clear to me what was being implied by that comment and while it's not the most anti-semitic thing that someone could ever come out with for sure it goes above and beyond the kind of rhetoric that is necessary to advocate her point and has gotten her in trouble with party leadership. I don't necessarily think there needs to be an apology, but I don't see what that sort of approach accomplishes other than giving the Republican hacks ammunition to exploit divisions within the Democratic party and seize back some of the narrative in Washington.

In way all in all if you want to be successful in your term in congress and have a chance at getting some of your legislative ideas picked up maybe it's not the best idea to earn the ire and condemnation of your party leaders quite so quickly into your first term. I mean it's good to come out swinging for your causes in terms of platform awareness, but from a sheer practical standpoint you also don't want to bite off more than you can chew if it eventually ends up getting in the way of your ultimate goals.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Unless this is some weapons grade sarcasm I'm missing, what the hell?

My man, I'm aware of the loving song. It also perfectly makes sense as an oblique knock on AIPAC money. That doesn't make it anti-Semitic in the slightest. Whether it was intentional or not is basicaly unknowable, but I would think more of the tweet if that were the case, not less.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Failed Imagineer posted:

I mean, its not even just that. She was also clearly referring to Benjamin Netanyahu, and presumably the fact that it's a common Israeli name. But that makes it clever wordplay, emphasising the point that she's making about Congress' craven kowtowing to AIPAC. So the peanut gallery is either too dumb or too cynical to grip that, but either way America is straight up clowning itself more and more evry day

I feel like Benjamin being a Jewish name was coincidental. She was talking about Pro-Israel lobbying and money in politics... a common theme among progressive democrats... hrm

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Failed Imagineer posted:

I mean, its not even just that. She was also clearly referring to Benjamin Netanyahu, and presumably the fact that it's a common Israeli name. But that makes it clever wordplay, emphasising the point that she's making about Congress' craven kowtowing to AIPAC. So the peanut gallery is either too dumb or too cynical to grip that, but either way America is straight up clowning itself more and more evry day

She pretty obviously wasn't. This is an enormous reach.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Unless this is some weapons-grade sarcasm I'm missing, what the hell?

No, it's just typical goon poo poo stirring. Argue in bad faith and feign ignorance to gaslight whoever you're trying to gently caress with. I submit that anyone claiming to not know what song she was referring to are doing so disingenuously and in bad faith.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
It's clearly a reference to the song, possibly a reference to netanyahu, and not at all anti semitic either way unless you are predisposed to see anything a Muslim says as inherently anti-Semitic.

The Dem leadership statement basically validated Republican anti-muslim racism.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

This is America, CHUDS in my area

[quote="TheScott2K" post="492482099"]
Isn't "trust the plan" a Q thing?

Ha...holy poo poo - I thought this was some sort of weird RDR2 reference. I don’t know if that is better or worse!

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

This is, like, one of the worst times to be catching up on thread context. I guess I'll make the choice not to scroll back.

morcant posted:

Ooh, neat. Got any specific channel recommendations for either?

Sent you a PM.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The image of a bunch of rich white people grouping up to tell a Somalian immigrant she is racist based on a song lyrics they are intentionally misrepresenting is so profoundly American.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Critical posted:

Omar obv should have referenced The Million Dollar Man Ted Dibiase's theme song instead and we wouldn't be in this sticky wicket.

Galaxy brain, his tag team partner Mike Rotunda aka Irwin R. Schyster.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Benjamin is a common name in general, I know like five gentiles named Ben personally and could probably list off a bunch of famous ones. Nobody sees the name Benjamin and thinks "Ah this is a Jewish guy"

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Kale posted:

I mean that's entirely a theoretical, but what we have in the here or now is just kind of a bad comment IMO. Try the old trick of switching out the name for another name closely associated with a specific religion and see how it comes across. Basically I agree with the position, the comment

Read the thread for her twitter account, there's plenty of people that are clearly not Republican hack jobs that are wondering why that approach and are disappointed.

Then those people are wrong and stupid.

Ilhan Omar doesn't need to apologize because people don't know perhaps the most famous line from a decades-old P. Diddy song.

There are things you apologize for and things you don't. Ilhan Omar made a valid point about Israeli lobbying money in politics that was 100% spot-on and she doesn't need to apologize no matter who whines or feigns outrage about it. I hope she stands firm, I really do.

Christ, it's still only February. It feels like it's been a year since the new Congress was sworn in.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Failed Imagineer posted:

No she wasn't goddammit

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The Dem leadership statement basically validated Republican anti-muslim racism.

I'm getting flash backs to the early 2000s

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
No one should be getting on Ilhan Omar for being "inartful" when *points to vast sea of congressional white people constantly saying stupid loving poo poo without so much as a peep from the usual suspects*

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Radish posted:

The image of a bunch of rich white people grouping up to tell a Somalian immigrant she is racist based on a song lyrics they are intentionally misrepresenting is so profoundly American.

I was disappointed to see clyburn sign off on that.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Kale posted:

I mean that's entirely a theoretical, but what we have in the here or now is just kind of a bad comment IMO. Try the old trick of switching out the name for another name closely associated with a specific religion and see how it comes across. Basically I agree with the position, the comment though feels like it's only opened her up to distraction tactics by the GOP and a divide with Democratic party leaders which doesn't help her position much at all.

Read the thread for her twitter account, there's plenty of people that are clearly not Republican hack jobs that are wondering why that approach and are disappointed. It's also kind of pretty clear to me what was being implied by that comment and while it's not the most anti-semitic thing that someone could ever come out with for sure it goes above and beyond the kind of rhetoric that is necessary to advocate her point and has gotten her in trouble with party leadership. I don't necessarily think there needs to be an apology, but I don't see what that sort of approach accomplishes other than giving the Republican hacks ammunition to exploit divisions within the Democratic party and seize back some of the narrative in Washington.

In way all in all if you want to be successful in your term in congress and have a chance at getting some of your legislative ideas picked up maybe it's not the best idea to earn the ire and condemnation of your party leaders quite so quickly into your first term. I mean it's good to come out swinging for your causes in terms of platform awareness, but from a sheer practical standpoint you also don't want to bite off more than you can chew if it eventually ends up getting in the way of your ultimate goals.

You know what? This back-slapping, wait your turn, go along to get along poo poo is why people are throwing Centrists in the Democratic party overboard in increasing numbers. Why the gently caress should she shut up? Oh, I don't want to piss you guys off, you white people who still run the party! Listen to yourself, holy gently caress.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
broke: decorum
woke: inartful

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

The Super-Id posted:

I'm getting flash backs to the early 2000s

Yup. The leadership is old and has learned helplessness at this point.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Prester Jane posted:

From here on out anything even vaguely attached to her is going to have "antisemitism!!!!!" screamed at it by right wing media.
Right wing media does not act in good faith to begin with, why should anyone care what they say? The idea that those tweets are in any way anti-semitic is a loving absurd false premise and the idea that a bunch of Republicans are offended by those tweets due to "anti-semitism" is even more absurd. They're just looking to latch onto something to attack her with, if it wasn't this it would just be something else. Don't cede the narrative to these disingenuous assholes.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I was disappointed to see clyburn sign off on that.

Clyburn is still a member of the Democrats' Old Guard and he's just as fearful of what Omar represents--a change to the status quo.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
Democrats are inartful, Republicans speak from the heart.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

If anything, this artificial shitstorm over her comments has conclusively proven Ilhan Omar's point. She hit a nerve.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

The Super-Id posted:

Democrats are inartful, Republicans speak from the heart.

At least you know where they stand!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Ague Proof posted:

Every losing Senate Democrat was blown out except lazy-rear end Nelson and Beto, going against incumbency advantage. Texas has more Republicans than Democrats and they have automatic straight-ticket voting with dozens of candidates on the ballot.

they're actually getting rid of straight ticket voting starting with the next election. apparently demographics show that in Texas it's mostly used by democrats, and the GOP has therefore decided to eliminate it because it helps their opponents. hilariously, you can tell from the vote totals that something like 300k republican voters still voted against Cruz, so this may backfire, but I think the GOP is just sick of suddenly losing judge seats in cities and they're trying to stop it by doing this

this law predates the 2018 election, so it's not a reaction to that but just to general growth in straight D votes across Texas.

Kale
May 14, 2010

It occurs to me now that she was likely referring to Benjamin Franklin and money instead of the common Jewish name Benjamin which kind of changes the read of the tweet completely. Assuming that's the case yeah there's no anti-semitism whatsoever, the comment is fine and there's nothing to apologize for. Realistically all she needs to do in that scenario is just clarify that and be rid of the ambiguity and that's it, anyone that tries to push the issue further (probably Republicans) then gets cast in bad faith and essentially status quo.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Then those people are wrong and stupid.

Ilhan Omar doesn't need to apologize because people don't know perhaps the most famous line from a decades-old P. Diddy song.

There are things you apologize for and things you don't. Ilhan Omar made a valid point about Israeli lobbying money in politics that was 100% spot-on and she doesn't need to apologize no matter who whines or feigns outrage about it. I hope she stands firm, I really do.

Christ, it's still only February. It feels like it's been a year since the new Congress was sworn in.

I admittedly don't know the song, but then I don't follow the rap scene at all as it's not really my taste in music. I expect this is the case for more than a few people out there even if it overtook rock as the most listened genre a while ago.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Kale posted:

It occurs to me now that she was likely referring to Benjamin Franklin and money instead of the common Jewish name Benjamin which kind of changes the read of the tweet completely. Assuming that's the case yeah there's no anti-semitism whatsoever, the comment is fine and there's nothing to apologize for. Realistically all she needs to do in that scenario is just clarify that and be rid of the ambiguity and that's it, anyone that tries to push the issue further (probably Republicans) then gets cast in bad faith and essentially status quo.

no poo poo, sherlock

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kale posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with you kale?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

DrNutt posted:

No one should be getting on Ilhan Omar for being "inartful" when *points to vast sea of congressional white people constantly saying stupid loving poo poo without so much as a peep from the usual suspects*

Excuse me but she is brown and leftist so we suddenly have standards for her gosh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

SocketWrench posted:

Wait wait wait, what did she say that was anti-semetic? I missed this
She mentioned "money" in an issue that involves people of the Jewish faith.

More specifically the issue was money.

So all she has to do to be money is criticize how money is spent by an organization formed around spending money without mentioning money.