Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Blorange posted:

If anything, this artificial shitstorm over her comments has conclusively proven Ilhan Omar's point. She hit a nerve.

I think episodes like this are defining moments--we're seeing a clear split opening up between the old generation and the new in the Democratic Party. I hate to compare it to what happened in the GOP after 2008, but I'm seeing a distinct similarity in terms of the dynamics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

DrNutt posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with you kale?

the dumbest boy alive

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kale posted:

It occurs to me now that she was likely referring to Benjamin Franklin and money instead of the common Jewish name Benjamin which kind of changes the read of the tweet completely. Assuming that's the case yeah there's no anti-semitism whatsoever, the comment is fine and there's nothing to apologize for. Realistically all she needs to do in that scenario is just clarify that and be rid of the ambiguity and that's it, anyone that tries to push the issue further (probably Republicans) then gets cast in bad faith and essentially status quo.

Buddy, I'm a pasty-rear end white dude who's not even from the US, and even I know that "Benjamins" refers to $100 bills. Have you been living under a rock or something?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Kale posted:

It occurs to me now that she was likely referring to Benjamin Franklin and money instead of the common Jewish name Benjamin which kind of changes the read of the tweet completely. Assuming that's the case yeah there's no anti-semitism whatsoever, the comment is fine and there's nothing to apologize for. Realistically all she needs to do in that scenario is just clarify that and be rid of the ambiguity and that's it, anyone that tries to push the issue further (probably Republicans) then gets cast in bad faith and essentially status quo.

Kale are you telling me you didn’t perhaps, google the reference she made?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Koalas March posted:

You nailed it.

Oh man, guys. Guys. Remember the last time I said it's blackface all the way down?

It's blackface all the way down.
https://twitter.com/mevpromotions/status/1094992516821196803

How the gently caress does somebody look at this and think it's okay

It blows my mind

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Ilhan Omar's tweet was inartful and lacked tact. Now can we please get back to the important business of crafting our "Wall off the Brown Hordes" bill.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Kale posted:

you loving idiot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c58ppLPJcQ

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Critical posted:

Omar obv should have referenced The Million Dollar Man Ted Dibiase's theme song instead and we wouldn't be in this sticky wicket.

Yes we would because it's a Palestinian American "criticizing" Israel

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/trevorh321/status/1095046149059301377

lmao

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1095043117760348161

Citation needed.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol i'd love a supercut of dozens of trump's speaking gently caress ups with mike going "very cool" after each one.

RLM never touches politics and when they all started drunkenly and spontaneously mocking Trump during a discussion right after the election is when I knew everyone had been broken. But it was very cathartic.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Did the ADL comment when the President made a Trail of Tears joke?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

SocketWrench posted:

Yes we would because it's a Palestinian American "criticizing" Israel

i realize her being muslim is part of it but let's be completely honest, anyone who criticizes israel is called an anti-semite

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The video and song are gonna get a huge spike on YT and Spotify from this, so Sean Combs is gonna eat, that's a plus

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

It’s Rasmussen. And lol that your fake poll can only get you up to 52%

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

It wasn't even blind while gov of FL. His loving wife held a lot of it.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

NoDamage posted:

Right wing media does not act in good faith to begin with, why should anyone care what they say? The idea that those tweets are in any way anti-semitic is a loving absurd false premise and the idea that a bunch of Republicans are offended by those tweets due to "anti-semitism" is even more absurd. They're just looking to latch onto something to attack her with, if it wasn't this it would just be something else. Don't cede the narrative to these disingenuous assholes.

You are missing my point entirely. Right-wing media would have screamed about this in either case true, but that screaming would have been much much much much less impactful if Democratic Leadership had not gone out of their way to give them permission to call Omar on anti-semite. Believe it or not this kind of poo poo really matters. The effectiveness of this particular attack would have been substantially less than what would have otherwise been.

Also I want to point out that I really think your entire line of logic here is pretty dumb. Just because your enemy is going to attack you anyways does not mean you hand them a better weapon with which to do so. And that is what the Democratic Leadership has done here, they have handed a substantial propaganda victory to right-wing media on a silver platter. (In the name of presenting themselves is pragmatic Centrists/preserving their own power by participating in a racist crusade against one of their junior members.)

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

CuddleCryptid posted:

Excuse me but she is brown and leftist so we suddenly have standards for her gosh

Remember when the very same folks who are reaching for their smelling salts right now spent literally years yelling about how you need to listen to black women? Well, not this particular black woman, apparently.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I think episodes like this are defining moments--we're seeing a clear split opening up between the old generation and the new in the Democratic Party. I hate to compare it to what happened in the GOP after 2008, but I'm seeing a distinct similarity in terms of the dynamics.

I hope she posts a sarcastic apology and dares the leadership to double down on their dumbness.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Koalas March posted:

This poo poo makes me so loving angry

i'm loving seething. this kinda poo poo is how you get me to vote third party.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Yes, it "jolted" Washington so hard that no one cared. Drudge wants so badly to be relevant again it's pathetic.

Guessing it has to be Rasmussen; he's the only pollster that's put Trump anywhere near 50% in the last decade or so :v:

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It’s Rasmussen. And lol that your fake poll can only get you up to 52%

It looks like someone made this image by taking a screen shot of a word document.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/IlhanMN/status/1095046561254567937

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

CmdrRiker posted:

It looks like someone made this image by taking a screen shot of a word document.

Drudge hasn’t updated the formatting of his website since like 1998

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yup. The leadership is old and has learned helplessness at this point.

I think what people should really process is it's not learned helplessness. It isn't ineffectiveness. It isn't incompetence. They're doing exactly what they're being paid to do.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

PerniciousKnid posted:

I hope she posts a sarcastic apology and dares the leadership to double down on their dumbness.

bad news on that

https://twitter.com/IlhanMN/status/1095046561254567937

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

fishing with the fam posted:

Ilhan Omar's tweet was inartful and lacked tact. Now can we please get back to the important business of crafting our "Wall off the Brown Hordes" bill.
"Right after the POTUS tells me which world controlling jew I need to send mail bombs to I'm going to send a very angry letter about the anti-Semite Democrat who criticized Israel."~politics 2019

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Kale posted:

I mean that's entirely a theoretical, but what we have in the here or now is just kind of a bad comment IMO. Try the old trick of switching out the name for another name closely associated with a specific religion and see how it comes across. Basically I agree with the position, the comment though feels like it's only opened her up to distraction tactics by the GOP and a divide with Democratic party leaders which doesn't help her position much at all.

Find me an atheist politician saying the constant upholding of Christianity is due to money. You'll get the same reaction. It's not just because Omar said something, it's because she's new and outspoken which fries a lot of politicians, and she's a Palestinian saying anything about Israel that isn't "Thank you for murdering my people"

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
If you need something to take your mind off of this ridiculous smearing of a wonderful woman who pointed out injustice and corruption, consider that in 100 years all humans will be swimming in our own feces, detritus and decaying matter because all the insects will be gone.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/insect-population-decline-extinction_us_5c611921e4b0f9e1b17f097d

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0006320718313636

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

RIP a real one

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

:ughh:

Gave them exactly what they wanted, although she did at least reassert her point at the end.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Koalas March posted:

She is black and using a common AAVE phrase popularized by a song. She even used the music emotes.

It's disingenuous and stripping AAVE of it's meaning and cultural clout. It means money. Y'all don't get to change the lyric meaning because you want to.

I'm so sick non black people deciding our words and culture don't matter, and have no history.

It is so drat baffling they are twisting "Benjamins" like they are. Why go though all this effort of pretending that Benjamins means anything other than money? If she had said "Follow the money" would the attacks be based on how "Follow" is actually an allusion to the anti-Semitic "Jews secretly run the world" narrative?

Anyone under 40 or so is practically guaranteed to get the reference she made. Anyone older than that is merely extremely likely to get it. It is such a transparently in bad faith interpretation to claim "Benjamins" is some sort of allusion to anything else and the only thing I can figure is it is an attempt to avoid bringing any attention to the spending she was actually talking about.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Insects are creepy so that’s a small price to pay.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

CmdrRiker posted:

Welcome to Drudge Report, which hasn't had a layout change since the '90s.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

PhazonLink posted:

Does that count as one toxx or five?

It should count as 5 so Lowtax gets 50$ for his spine aug.

it counts as 5 separate ones

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

It is so drat baffling they are twisting "Benjamins" like they are. Why go though all this effort of pretending that Benjamins means anything other than money? If she had said "Follow the money" would the attacks be based on how "Follow" is actually an allusion to the anti-Semitic "Jews secretly run the world" narrative?

Anyone under 40 or so is practically guaranteed to get the reference she made. Anyone older than that is merely extremely likely to get it. It is such a transparently in bad faith interpretation to claim "Benjamins" is some sort of allusion to anything else and the only thing I can figure is it is an attempt to avoid bringing any attention to the spending she was actually talking about.

Its because she is black

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Welp, she's pretty much done then. A real pity.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Definitely bummed out by the apology, but I can't say I'm surprised.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

corn in the bible posted:

i realize her being muslim is part of it but let's be completely honest, anyone who criticizes israel is called an anti-semite

Yeah, but she didn't even criticize Israel. She criticized US politicians that related to Israel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I am in favor of CHUDs standing in the hot desert for hours waving tiny flags

https://mobile.twitter.com/thehill/status/1095040280405905410