Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

BioEnchanted posted:

Since Terabithia was brought up, what did everyone think of I Kill Giants? I thought it was interesting and liked the effects and designs of the giants themselves.

I really enjoyed it. I came into it blind but with the expectation that it was an allegory of some sort. I would have been disappointed if the giants were real. It would have just been a fantasy action movie then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Why is Chewbacca called Chewbacca when wookies are incapable of saying the word Chewbacca? Did Han just arbitrarily anglicise his name? Is Han a space racist?

Maybe 'Chewbacca' is just us saying his name with a really thick accent, and his word for it is something he groans out all the time?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Chewbacca is a nickname with a really long and convoluted in-joke backstory that Han gave up on explaining because you really had to be there and also have a detailed knowledge of Kashyyk pop culture.

His actual name is something like "Aauuygghhhaaaeghargg-ah" but only his parents use that.

Source:
Wookiepedia

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, it's kind of a :spergin: complaint, but goddamn it's just such a dumb contrivance that exists solely to add in some extra shock value.

I can't believe author of A Song of Ice and Fire George RR Martin would add a dumb plot contrivance for shock value into a story.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Acute Grill posted:

I can't believe author of A Song of Ice and Fire George RR Martin would add a dumb plot contrivance for shock value into a story.

I'm sorry what.

*checks wikipedia*

Wow, I had no idea he wrote this. I'm surprised it's not being advertised as BY THE AUTHOR OF GAME OF THRONES plastered over the screen. Mind you, I don't think I've watched any ads for it, so...maybe it is?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Morpheus posted:

I'm sorry what.

*checks wikipedia*

Wow, I had no idea he wrote this. I'm surprised it's not being advertised as BY THE AUTHOR OF GAME OF THRONES plastered over the screen. Mind you, I don't think I've watched any ads for it, so...maybe it is?

apparently there were some behind the scenes shenanigans with regards to using the GRRM name or having him on the project due to his contract with HBO.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Maybe that's just his human name.

Like how a lot of Asians have an English name they pick for themselves.
It's super common in business. An old boss went by Jack because, well, Hagop would require constant explanation. I've also dealt with probably a dozen or so Osamas that really, really didn't want you to ask what Sam was short for.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, it's kind of a :spergin: complaint, but goddamn it's just such a dumb contrivance that exists solely to add in some extra shock value.
It's especially weird as it's basically the same as the "You'd use more electricity in life suport systems than you'd harvest from your 'batteries'" complaint that was one of the dumbest things in The Matrix. You'd think twenty years of nerds banging on about that might have got through to sci-fi writers by now.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

FreudianSlippers posted:

Chewbacca is a nickname with a really long and convoluted in-joke backstory that Han gave up on explaining because you really had to be there and also have a detailed knowledge of Kashyyk pop culture.

His actual name is something like "Aauuygghhhaaaeghargg-ah" but only his parents use that.

Source:
Wookiepedia
I read all the Star Wars EU books a bunch as a kid, so I also read the one where the gang hangs out on Chewie's home planet. In fact, it's only Leia, and she can't speak Wookie. The author came up with a clever solution for this problem: one of the wookies speaks Basic. Why don't any of the others? Simple: because that one wookie has a speech impediment that allows him to speak human words. Even as a kid I thought that was an extremely stupid asspull.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Morpheus posted:

I'm sorry what.

*checks wikipedia*

I have seen his name mentioned in ads, which made me wonder “didn’t he have a different series to finish?” before I found out when he wrote it.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Biplane posted:

apparently there were some behind the scenes shenanigans with regards to using the GRRM name or having him on the project due to his contract with HBO.
It says he wrote it on Netflix.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
In Frozen, why aren't the gloves Elsa wears frozen?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

because magic.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
To be more irrational, I was more focused on being irritated by how in frozen (and every disney movie) nobody finds it odd that people just randomly break out into songs to ask a simple question or make a statement like "i'm going to eat my breakfast". Like I'm pretty sure she heard you the first time you asked about the snowman. Not only do they not find it odd, they sing their answers back. If hell exists, it would be a world where that was the normal way of conversing with other people.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
While it was the weakest one by far compared to the Twisted Tales, Ursula's villain tale book had an interesting take on her villain song- it was actually a spell she was weaving to make her clients incredibly suggestible so they'd make a bad deal.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

yeah I eat rear end posted:

To be more irrational, I was more focused on being irritated by how in frozen (and every disney movie) nobody finds it odd that people just randomly break out into songs to ask a simple question or make a statement like "i'm going to eat my breakfast". Like I'm pretty sure she heard you the first time you asked about the snowman. Not only do they not find it odd, they sing their answers back. If hell exists, it would be a world where that was the normal way of conversing with other people.

My irrational irritation is people not allowing for the central conceit of musicals. No one reacts to the people breaking out in song because, in universe, they aren't. Unless there are some "tra la las" in the lyrics, they aren't actually singing. People complain about musicals being unrealistic constantly, as if they the only one clever enough to note that people in real life don't randomly break into choreographed numbers. It's like complaining that everyone in martial arts films know kung fu, or that zombies aren't actually real.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Simply Simon posted:

I read all the Star Wars EU books a bunch as a kid, so I also read the one where the gang hangs out on Chewie's home planet. In fact, it's only Leia, and she can't speak Wookie. The author came up with a clever solution for this problem: one of the wookies speaks Basic. Why don't any of the others? Simple: because that one wookie has a speech impediment that allows him to speak human words. Even as a kid I thought that was an extremely stupid asspull.

It was pretty stupid, but to be fair, the wookie couldn't speak basic. He spoke with a speech impediment that made his wookie speech way easier for humans to understand.

I dunno how the gently caress that can happen unless there's some weird accent poo poo involved, but yea, definitely weird.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Sneaksie Taffer posted:

My irrational irritation is people not allowing for the central conceit of musicals. No one reacts to the people breaking out in song because, in universe, they aren't. Unless there are some "tra la las" in the lyrics, they aren't actually singing. People complain about musicals being unrealistic constantly, as if they the only one clever enough to note that people in real life don't randomly break into choreographed numbers. It's like complaining that everyone in martial arts films know kung fu, or that zombies aren't actually real.

That's a rational irritation. I know I'm not getting the point. I don't want to. That's why it's irrational. It's dumb to, but I still get irritated by it. I don't like singing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pilchenstein posted:

It says he wrote it on Netflix.

He wrote the original novella and had a token Executive Producer credit but outside of that he didn't actually have any involvement with the actual making of the show due to his exclusivity contract with HBO.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Krispy Wafer posted:

And even though the skit is funny and has really good production values, it was inexplicably cut for time and was never broadcast on TV.

If they had aired something that was well-made and actually funny, the people still watching SNL would have noticed the discrepancy.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

muscles like this! posted:

He wrote the original novella and had a token Executive Producer credit but outside of that he didn't actually have any involvement with the actual making of the show due to his exclusivity contract with HBO.
Yeah but people were wondering why his name wasn't on it, when it is. :v:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It was pretty stupid, but to be fair, the wookie couldn't speak basic. He spoke with a speech impediment that made his wookie speech way easier for humans to understand.

I dunno how the gently caress that can happen unless there's some weird accent poo poo involved, but yea, definitely weird.

If someone isn't super fluent in another language, affecting their language's accent when speaking to them can actually help make things easier to understand. Like talking to a semifluent French guy with French accented English is easier than standard English.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Simply Simon posted:

I was once reading an EU book where I lost track of who was speaking in dialogue right as someone began to monologue. I thought it was Chewbacca for three paragraphs and my mind was blown in a good way that an author broke the tradition of "Chewie chuffed his agreement.

Turns out it was some droid being the pre-film stand in for C-3PO. :eng99:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Tunicate posted:

If someone isn't super fluent in another language, affecting their language's accent when speaking to them can actually help make things easier to understand. Like talking to a semifluent French guy with French accented English is easier than standard English.

I also enjoy mocking French people :shuckyes:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
My IMM for Aquaman was the stinger- It should have been Lex Luthor pulling up in his yacht to fish Black Manta out of the water. I was disappointed it was the conspiracy theory look.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Tunicate posted:

I never liked that complaint about people speaking English slower to non-native speakers because that does help, a lot.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Just watched Glass and I've stopped being annoyed by how everyone just disbelieved the Overseer/Beast's powers when I figured out it was kinda the point of the movie. That said, I felt it was way too easy for the psychiatrist to instill doubt in someone as involved in their super-identities as those 2. If someone would come to me and suggest "maybe you're not indestructible/super strong" it would work much better if I hadn't survived a 5 story fall completely unscratched just a few days before.

Also I can't stand secret societies with super evident and permanent identifiers. It's funny that the big reveal is "this is actually The Boys but less idgi"; it's less funny that everyone in the secret society has a clover leaf tattooed on their wrist. I mean, freemasons and such weren't super duper clever about giving away their membership...but they also didn't live in the age of smartphones and internet.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Nth Doctor posted:

I was once reading an EU book where I lost track of who was speaking in dialogue right as someone began to monologue. I thought it was Chewbacca for three paragraphs and my mind was blown in a good way that an author broke the tradition of "Chewie chuffed his agreement.

Turns out it was some droid being the pre-film stand in for C-3PO. :eng99:

Didn't the expanded universe authors hate Chewie because he had no way to express himself or maintain autonomy?

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Krankenstyle posted:

In Denmark it's called "ghost driver" when someone is driving in the wrong direction on the freeway (got on the offramp or vice versa). Usually it's some pensioner who shoulda got new glasses and their license withdrawn 10 years ago.

We also have a different kind of ghost driver, but they're scarier
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLyKGWC6HL8&t=240s

That clip looks pretty cool. Where is it from? Is there some Danish mythology around ambulances from hell?

andrhars
Dec 19, 2011
That's from "Riget" (The Kingdom), a mini-series by Lars von Trier.

Got an American adaption called "Kingdom Hospital" that sucked.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I hate scenes where the protagonist is sitting at a bar or something and then the bartender/a random woman shows up and exchanges a look or few words with the protagonist and the next scene is them having sex.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Gaunab posted:

I hate scenes where the protagonist is sitting at a bar or something and then the bartender/a random woman shows up and exchanges a look or few words with the protagonist and the next scene is them having sex.

We all hate not being able to get laid.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I really dislike when movies use sex as a shorthand for “this person is cool.” Like any sort of badass is alway introduced in bed with a woman in the morning and usually trying to sneak out without being seen.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Only cool guys have sex and sorry they can't stick around but they have a world to save!

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Gaunab posted:

The (in)famous Barrowman ad-lib in “Shark Attack 3”:

:siren::nws::siren:
https://youtube.be/uzR8cjsQhuQ

Rascar Capac has a new favorite as of 18:03 on Feb 12, 2019

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Gaunab posted:

well you're gonna hate seeing the documentary they made about me

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Gaunab posted:

I just saw this in Banshee and it rules.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Slippery posted:

well you're gonna hate seeing the documentary they made about me

Your mom doesn’t count.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

The Sexual Shiite posted:

Your mom doesn’t count.

well, she does but for some reason she can't get past 69

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

andrhars posted:

That's from "Riget" (The Kingdom), a mini-series by Lars von Trier.

Got an American adaption called "Kingdom Hospital" that sucked.

Thanks! Gonna look that up, I really liked the vibes of that clip

Coffee And Pie posted:

I really dislike when movies use sex as a shorthand for “this person is cool.” Like any sort of badass is alway introduced in bed with a woman in the morning and usually trying to sneak out without being seen.

Well...