Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i just wanna pop in and say that this particular fight is my favorite from the entirety of part 5. glad the animation is doing it justice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

Sockser posted:

A thing I appreciated about this ep was Giorno saying he couldn't do poo poo with Gold Experience because nothing could survive at those temps

Which is like, the justification for bricksnake

He just needed to actually learn that fact before the bricksnake and it would've been fine
I'm still gonna take my beef from the manga thread to this thread. Giorno knows all this crazy poo poo about biology and how wind chill works, but he doesn't know about tardigrades? shame. shame.

It's also kinda a shame the anime doesn't use the same expression Dan used.

Because now I'm left trying to figure out who Ghiaccio is supposed to imitate here when chasing after the gang?

and, for what it's worth, the manga at least has a little speech bubble where Pericolo says his men know nothing and are going to 'clean up his mess,' so that can explain how the key was in pompeii.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Expect My Mom posted:

dc douglas has been killing it tho

By it, do you mean Shigechi? :v:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's really great that like two or three weeks ago I was all "Oh man I can't wait for the dub version of DAGA KOTOWARU" and now I watch an episode where Rohan has one line and I immediately retreat into my protective cocoon

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
A minor thing, but a lot of those "Oh no no no no no"s that people do usually have the second to last (or last) "no" be deeper.

DC Douglas having the penultimate "no" be higher gives it an almost singsong quality that emphasizes how casual he is about blowing up a middleschooler over a sandwich mishap.

Such a tiny deviation from the norm, but it fits so well :allears:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arist posted:

It's really great that like two or three weeks ago I was all "Oh man I can't wait for the dub version of DAGA KOTOWARU" and now I watch an episode where Rohan has one line and I immediately retreat into my protective cocoon

I don't care at all. Rohan's VA has given a fine performance. That he was lovely in real life does not bother me.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Uh, cool?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arist posted:

Uh, cool?

I am a bit tired about people complaining about Vic. He is clearly going to get blacklisted, so I don't see the need to bring him up everytime a character voiced by him shows up.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am a bit tired about people complaining about Vic. He is clearly going to get blacklisted, so I don't see the need to bring him up everytime a character voiced by him shows up.

I am a bit tired of people giving abusers a pass because they turned in a good performance. I don't see the need to go to bat for him every time a character voiced by him shows up.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Is it just me or is the audio desynced?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Rohan will now be voiced in the dub by Araki speaking perfect English.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's not like that in the actual episode.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

jivjov posted:

I am a bit tired of people giving abusers a pass because they turned in a good performance. I don't see the need to go to bat for him every time a character voiced by him shows up.

I don't want anyone to go to bat for him either. I think it would be ideal if he was not mentioned at all, and the show was focused on.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
he is part of the television show jojo's bizarre adventure - part 4: diamond is unbreakable so he is within the topic of the television show jojo's bizarre adventure - part 4: diamond is unbreakable so people are going to talk about him

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Expect My Mom posted:

he is part of the television show jojo's bizarre adventure - part 4: diamond is unbreakable so he is within the topic of the television show jojo's bizarre adventure - part 4: diamond is unbreakable so people are going to talk about him
My take is that it is lousy that a beloved character like Rohan got this guy's voice (even if, prior to the full revelation of him being a sex criminal, it was funny 'cuz he was already annoying) and that it is unfortunate that it is not feasible for his lines to be redubbed considering that his work was already incorporated into the aired dub episodes, and that on a pragmatic basis it is not feasible for them to recast Rohan mid-stream.

Hopefully if Jojo becomes a permanent recurring hit they will recast Rohan, or at least find a different actor for the Rohan OAVs.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

My take on it is that what was done is lovely and that behavior also shouldn't be given a pass regardless of his voice acting quality, but I'm also not going to enjoy a show less because one of the voice actor's did something lovely.

I'll probably still rewatch dubbed FMA Brotherhood at some point, too.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I think it's kinda funny that public opinion has finally turned on him in a major way. I remember hearing back in loving 2006 from people at cons that young girls need to be careful around Vic and that he would routinely take young fan girls back to his room during cons under false pretenses like voice acting lessons or something. It made watching the original FMA dub really weird.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

SpartanIvy posted:

I think it's kinda funny that public opinion has finally turned on him in a major way. I remember hearing back in loving 2006 from people at cons that young girls need to be careful around Vic and that he would routinely take young fan girls back to his room during cons under false pretenses like voice acting lessons or something. It made watching the original FMA dub really weird.
Yeah, society improved (if imperfectly).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Anyone else feel like Ghiaccio was inspired by Pulp Fiction or Quentin Tarantino?

I could just imagine him having the metric system conversation about quarter pounders, only with more screaming and destruction of property.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Not one single bit.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

Nessus posted:

SpartanIvy posted:

Yeah, society improved (if imperfectly).

Hell, iirc just a couple weeks ago in this thread or the manga thread people were complaining about people complaining about Vic being Rohan, probably because they thought people didn't like him for Not Signing Their Yaois. Back when I and my best friend were in like 7th/8th grade, when the OG anime was being dubbed, she made a plushie of Ed and showed it to Vic at a con. I got to be the photographer, and even back then I got pretty uncomfortable the way this grown man had both hands on both this ~14-year-old girl's shoulders in a rather deserted hallway, like 'oh ok this is a little different from just a christian side hug um but ok.' I dismissed it but never really liked Vic after that. Hearing all the backlash now it's rather interesting to me, the push and pull of contrasting female socialization of 'you should be constantly assessing threats' with 'do not trust your intuition, you're just being a prude, he's just friendly.'

Anyway how 'bout them Jojos. Kinda interesting how the anime is showing us this much of the execution squad. Honestly a definite improvement to the manga; they're still villains of the week but it's less part 3 with its 'ok why is a blind guy chilling in the desert with no supplies just to ambush the crusaders, how long has he been waiting there.' But the interactions between the squad members, being in near constant contact with each other, and the anime-added scenes make them more an opposing force chasing our boys than video gamey 'here's another miniboss.' That's an intriguing glimpse of whatever Risotto's power might be. Plus I just realized the little ball things coming off his hood probably spell "Risotto." that's adorable.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

all the extra bits with the hitman squad have been really great in general and something part 5 desperately needed

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I wonder if the new stuff comes from David Production's team or it's based on input from Araki.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
I half-expect something from Purple Haze Feedback if David Pro gets to tell "ideal" story. Thread can then expound on manga differences for world to learn.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Blaze Dragon posted:

I wonder if the new stuff comes from David Production's team or it's based on input from Araki.
I dimly remember it coming up because it happened in part 4... previous to that they had just extemporized a little in some scenes to make it fit the space, but in part 4 they moved the Cinderella salon event around. I think they talk with Araki about it. Some of this is just with the benefit of hindsight, really.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Anyone else feel like Ghiaccio was inspired by Pulp Fiction or Quentin Tarantino?

I could just imagine him having the metric system conversation about quarter pounders, only with more screaming and destruction of property.

you could make a case for that. we've already had one heavily quentin tarantino influenced scene after all

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/mahadopower/status/1094131510108549120

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I noticed this a lot in the past episode where Babyface would be like "ha ha gotcha" but the music would still be playing.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

I noticed this a lot in the past episode where Babyface would be like "ha ha gotcha" but the music would still be playing.

"Haha, your ability isn't so tough. I'll never fall for that again."

-Giorno's theme continues-

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Is Golden Wind stand alone or is it heavily connected to part 4?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

It’s tied to part 4 by like uhhhhh three episodes at the very beginning

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Sex Pistols vs White Album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcvzQvIHeqU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Without directly spoiling anything, Part 5 is the most standalone part in the series. That's the reason the advice for so long until the good translation was finished was just to skip it. There are some minor bits connected to characters from Part 3 and Part 4, but they don't heavily influence the story, at least not for very long.

The only things you should know from Part 4 going into Part 5 is some of the main characters who are still alive (two of whom appear, one of whom is merely mentioned) and what the Arrows are.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

Golden Wind is largely standalone, but if you haven't watched the earlier parts it might spoil a couple things from them.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Thanks. I still plan to watch Part 4 later but right now i just want to catch up on Golden Wind so I can talk about it with my friend.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah you're fine. the only thing it 'spoils' about part 4 is two characters that you'll know survived but in the grand scheme of things that's basically nothing. as said, part 5 is pretty wholly disconnected from the parts before and after it.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
no one has ever read the op i made :smith:

Expect My Mom posted:

Part 5 is very standalone, even more so than Part 4, so previous JoJo knowledge isn't really required for this part other than knowing a couple names like "Dio Brando" or "Jotaro Kujo" so if you fell off the wagon or just joining the adventure, Part 5's a perfectly fine place to start (still, go back and catch up, also read the manga JoJo is good)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

don't literacyshame, nerd

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
That said, Golden Wind does assume a certain level of knowledge about the basic premise, in that it contains an unprecedented concentration of weird poo poo and baffling but sort-of-kind-of-followable moon logic that will be far more easily digested if you've had the steady buildup from previous parts to acclimatise you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

part 4 definitely is kind of the beginning of the series starting out from the get-go with stands so it flows better later on if you have that context

not necessary at all to have read/seen it first, of course, but part 4 is sort of the beginning of a 'new era' in the series that lasts from parts 4-6 as compared to part 3 which has stands but still almost operates under weird, inconsistent logic due to literally being felt out as it goes by the creator