Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

that clip did not illuminate anything for me but drat pokemon is heavy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think you have to watch the whole episode to really get the effect, but more or less her mom got the Japanese cold and died. Her last words to her mother were "I hate you" because she couldn't get out of bed to go on a walk like they had promised.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Does Brutal Swing have any use whatsoever in this game? I am baffled why anyone would use this worthless move

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
I’m not sure which episode was sadder, this one with Mallow’s mom or the one earlier this season with the all the Miniors dying en masse

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Parrotine posted:

Does Brutal Swing have any use whatsoever in this game? I am baffled why anyone would use this worthless move

It does hit everything (including your ally) in doubles but yeah everything has better options for a dark move.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1095012742338097153

I wonder what type of Q&A the Treehouse would need to answer.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dehry posted:

Each day will explain a new mechanic of the about-to-be-announced new POKEMON PINBALL

(Or Pokemon Snap)

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Dehry posted:

"Why did you go with Oshawott instead of just Wotter?"

"How did you get away with names as lazy and uninspired as Ducklett and Gurdurr?"

"Why didn't you localize the name Musharna?"

"Why didn't you keep the name of Cosmoem as Cosmovum?"

And so on.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Pokemon Bank renewal period should start in another week for those of you who started day 1

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Dehry posted:

i count five separate days

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

less laughter posted:

"Why did you go with Oshawott instead of just Wotter?"

"How did you get away with names as lazy and uninspired as Ducklett and Gurdurr?"

"Why didn't you localize the name Musharna?"

"Why didn't you keep the name of Cosmoem as Cosmovum?"

And so on.

the gen 5 hater has logged on.... and now i'm reading this post !!

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Gen 5 best gen fight me

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Nanigans posted:

Gen 5 best gen fight me

i won't, because you're right

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nanigans posted:

Gen 5 best gen fight me

I'll fight alongside you.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Nanigans posted:

Gen 5 best gen fight me

Fairy type is best type, gen 5 has no fairy type, ergo gen 5 cannot be best gen :colbert: it did introduce a lot of my favorite mons though.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nanigans posted:

Gen 5 best gen fight me

Literally the worst gen. Awful evolution levels, Pokemon availability, regional gimmick and it had the gall to introduce event TMs and event non-Legendaries. Also the Nadir of the series in terms of Legendary designs.

gently caress gen V. It has a bunch of cool pokemon who are just literally unusable because they evolve at level 52 for no good reason.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Gen 5 is the best one.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Zore posted:

Literally the worst gen. Awful evolution levels, Pokemon availability, regional gimmick and it had the gall to introduce event TMs and event non-Legendaries. Also the Nadir of the series in terms of Legendary designs.

gently caress gen V. It has a bunch of cool pokemon who are just literally unusable because they evolve at level 52 for no good reason.

This and also Klink/Klang/Klinklang is the literal worst. It's not just "more of these Pokemon stuck together" which is a level of laziness I am very used to and has precedent from Gen 1. It's "we hosed up the rotation of the animation by copy-pasting the front sprite to be the back sprite" laziness which is a new level of lazy and also incompetent.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I'm positive that that's what they were going for. Most of Gen 5's Pokemon are deliberate throwbacks to Gen 1's monsters and it's supposed to invoke the feeling of "convergent evolution". That is, creatures from very different lineages put into similar niches end up developing similar traits. That's sort of what happened to Gen 5's monsters.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Gen 5 had the best rivals in Bianca, Cheren and N--all in one game!

Gym leaders who (all but the first town's) all contribute to the overall plot

An evil team that actually feels threatening

Best champion(s) (Alder+Iris, hell yea)

100% new designs (at least for BW1)

It felt the least lazy to me, especially in comparison to Gen 6's Mega Evolutions which are largely "what if X pokémon but spikes or dongles" and loser squad rivals/evil team. It's not perfect by any means, but I love the overall designs of the monsters/trainers/Unova the most. Also, triple/rotation battles were fun!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

This conversation is so weird since it's Gen IV that sucks.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Nth Doctor posted:

i wouldn't say sucks but it's the least good for sure

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Gen 5 best gen. PWT, Pokestar Studios, the version-specific dungeon in B2W2, Medals (I know Medals have been on the PGL the last 2 gens but who seriously looks that up?)

Also many extremely good new friends. Shame about what happened to the starters (Dewott excluded)

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

absolutely anything posted:

Original Gen 3 was worse overall, imo. Emerald was really great, though.

Gen 4 was largely saved by Platinum.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

absolutely anything posted:

:hmmyes:

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Zore posted:

The games are designed for a longer playthrough which is why you get so much time with the lower forms early on, also neither of those "event" things were events in B2W2, which at worst makes them like any other content that's programmed into the game but not available until the next one

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Nanigans posted:

Gen 5 had the best rivals in Bianca, Cheren and N--all in one game!

Gym leaders who (all but the first town's) all contribute to the overall plot

Best champion(s) (Alder+Iris, hell yea)

100% new designs (at least for BW1)

It felt the least lazy to me, especially in comparison to Gen 6's Mega Evolutions which are largely "what if X pokémon but spikes or dongles" and loser squad rivals/evil team. It's not perfect by any means, but I love the overall designs of the monsters/trainers/Unova the most. Also, triple/rotation battles were fun!

The only things that really bugged me in Gen V were the terrible available pokemon in the starting areas, the lackluster starters, and the endless hordes of drat dirty elemental apes. Other than that, it is kind of my favorite generation. If it could be updated and possibly have its policy towards older Pokémon relaxed, I’d be on it in a heartbeat.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Nanigans posted:

Original Gen 3 was worse overall, imo. Emerald was really great, though.

Gen 4 was largely saved by Platinum.

I loved saphire, ridiculous waterworld and all

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Nth Doctor posted:

If you discount the fact that it has the best starters and dragon, sure.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Nanigans posted:

Gonna have to fight you on this one, because I have some major issues with Team Plasma.

See, Team Plasma is built around questioning the morality of one of the series core game mechanics. Now, catching Pokemon, like most game mechanics in most games, works fine as long as you don't think about it too much. However, once you start getting all meta and bringing up how cruel it is to shove tiny animals into balls that forces the player to acknowledge "yeah, that is pretty hosed up". Then the game doesn't really have a way to resolve this so it just sort of changes Plasma's motives halfway through the story and spits out a few half hearted platitudes about how Pokemon like being beaten up and enslaved which all ring hollow now because, mechanically speaking, very few of my Pokemon are actually treated like anything resembling friends and most are just shoved in a box and forgotten.

It's like if a Mario game started out with a group of enemies who are mad at Mario for committing turtle genocide and then halfway through the game Mario stops them from robbing a bank and the fact that everything they said about Mario committing turtle genocide is totally true is never resolved or brought up again.

So, yeah, Team Plasma is a mess and it's hard to find them threatening when they mostly just feel poorly planned.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Plasma is very cool in Black/White 2 when they have an airship and ninjas. And also my good friend Colress is their leader.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

mastajake posted:

If you discount the fact that it has the best starters and dragon, sure.

Kommo-o and Tyrantrum would like to have talks with you.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
And those words are yeah, you're right man

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Gonna have to fight you on this one, because I have some major issues with Team Plasma.

See, Team Plasma is built around questioning the morality of one of the series core game mechanics. Now, catching Pokemon, like most game mechanics in most games, works fine as long as you don't think about it too much. However, once you start getting all meta and bringing up how cruel it is to shove tiny animals into balls that forces the player to acknowledge "yeah, that is pretty hosed up". Then the game doesn't really have a way to resolve this so it just sort of changes Plasma's motives halfway through the story and spits out a few half hearted platitudes about how Pokemon like being beaten up and enslaved which all ring hollow now because, mechanically speaking, very few of my Pokemon are actually treated like anything resembling friends and most are just shoved in a box and forgotten.

It's like if a Mario game started out with a group of enemies who are mad at Mario for committing turtle genocide and then halfway through the game Mario stops them from robbing a bank and the fact that everything they said about Mario committing turtle genocide is totally true is never resolved or brought up again.

So, yeah, Team Plasma is a mess and it's hard to find them threatening when they mostly just feel poorly planned.

It's 100% my own headcanon, I know, but it feels like most NPCs in Pokémon besides (sometimes) the rival really only do have a handful of Pokémon, period.

You, as the player, and again, occasionally the rival, are the only ones who catch hordes of Pokémon for the express purpose of research.

It makes a lot more sense that way. It's totally one of those things you can't think about too hard like where all of the thousands of hatched/released Pokémon go. 'Cause if this game worked at all like it "should" work, the route next to the daycare would be swarmed with almost every species in the game just from the failed breeding attempts alone. :v:

edit: I like the starters from every gen, but Gen 4's really are still the high bar to live up to, still.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah but they literally copy-pasted the Klungo line's back sprites to be their front sprites resulting in gears that very obviously rotate the wrong way. There's Grimer and Dugtrio laziness and there's "oops we made a noticeable mistake but we're not gonna fix it because Pokemon is a licence to print money at this point".

Also the Tao stuff which is more important to the plot than any PETA stuff (honestly "is it moral to put Pokemon in your balls" is a subplot overall) was poorly translated and localised but that's not the fault of the people designing the game.

E: it's a bit odd to me that the first game set outside not-Japan is the one that had the biggest wallop of eastern philosophy of all the games. Like someone went "ok this game is set in New York, what do New Yorkers love? The motherflipping Tao that's what". It was the one part of the game I really liked but it's such an odd choice to put it in these particular games.

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 12, 2019

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Also my cute little piggy evolved into a big fat wrestler and it makes me mad!!!

In Black 2 I made the superior choice and chose Smugleaf whose line is confirmed as being stylistically based on Rose of Versailles. Which means canonically your Smugleaf is very likely gay and/or trans.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
aside from being dualistic (like every single legendary duo since Gen 2) and black/white colored, what do reshiram and zekrom have to do with daoism at all? the theme is tradition vs progress

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Also my cute little piggy evolved into a big fat wrestler and it makes me mad!!!

In Black 2 I made the superior choice and chose Smugleaf whose line is confirmed as being stylistically based on Rose of Versailles. Which means canonically your Smugleaf is very likely gay and/or trans.

That is like the best part of Tepig, then they evolve into Emboar. :chloe:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’ve played every game but have zero ability to discern the generation of post-4th gen Pokemon. Like you could show me any one of them and I couldn’t tell you which gen it was from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

there are only three generations first 151, everything up to alola, and alola pokes