Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Queen Combat posted:

The only good live action disney anything is Enchanted and that's because it takes the piss out of disney

Enchanted is wonderful, but it's not really the same thing because it was made as a live action (mostly) film in the first place. These live action remakes are abominations unto god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Macaluso posted:

These live action remakes are abominations unto god

:emptyquote:

I, just, can't. They're terrible.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I will refer back to my very important and extremely insightful Jumanji thread, for the original Jumanji, the actually good Jumanji, the Jumanji that is better than most modern day Oscar winners, as proof of the degradation of the cinematic arts

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
You guys are gonna be eating your words when live-action Home on the Range out-earns Avatar and sweeps the Oscars, including Best Actor win for Roseanne.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Barudak posted:

I do not understand the design direction for these films to lean so hard on the realism part of magical realism

I'm so confused! Why did the cave of wonders have to stop being made out of sand? It could have just been cgi sand!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i have now seen trailers for all three of the live-action Disney remakes coming out this year and despite the very good cast for The Lion King and how much I dislike everything Tim Burton has done in the last 20 years (except Sweeney Todd), the Dumbo remake looks the most interesting to me, because it's not just taking everything we know and love and translating it with some slightly staid production design into live action, it's really forging it's own path. It takes what will work from the original in a live action movie today, discards what doesn't (goodbye, racist crows!), and kinda forges its own path. Sure, adding Eva Green and a romance may be Tim Burton Tim Burton-ing all over, but the Circus designs are wonderful and original and Michael Keaton and Danny Devito look like the perfect half-way mark between real people and real-life cartoon characters.

In short, I don't know what I'm gonna get out of Dumbo, but i know exactly what I'm gonna get out of the other two.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Dumbo is gonna suck because they replaced the talking mouse with two precocious children

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

DC Murderverse posted:

i have now seen trailers for all three of the live-action Disney remakes coming out this year and despite the very good cast for The Lion King and how much I dislike everything Tim Burton has done in the last 20 years (except Sweeney Todd), the Dumbo remake looks the most interesting to me, because it's not just taking everything we know and love and translating it with some slightly staid production design into live action, it's really forging it's own path. It takes what will work from the original in a live action movie today, discards what doesn't (goodbye, racist crows!), and kinda forges its own path. Sure, adding Eva Green and a romance may be Tim Burton Tim Burton-ing all over, but the Circus designs are wonderful and original and Michael Keaton and Danny Devito look like the perfect half-way mark between real people and real-life cartoon characters.

In short, I don't know what I'm gonna get out of Dumbo, but i know exactly what I'm gonna get out of the other two.

*prays to God something will suck at least in an interesting way*

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I prefer live action premakes like Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Disney probably hopes these movies continue to be profitable after that Fox buyout or a lot of heads are gonna start sweating.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I look forward to the live action Emperors New Groove that sucks all the vim of the original and turns it one of the chipmunk movies but with a llama

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Pixeltendo posted:

I look forward to the live action Emperors New Groove that sucks all the vim of the original and turns it one of the chipmunk movies but with a llama

Jokes on you, live-action Emperor's New Groove featuring a lavishly recreated depiction of the Incan empire at the height of its power becomes the Black Panther of the live-action Disney remake canon and inspires an entire generation of latinx moviegoers.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Turns out we get Live Action Kingdom of the Sun

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
If live action version of emperors new groove had snuff out the light nothing else could make it bad

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Desperate Character posted:

If live action version of emperors new groove had snuff out the light nothing else could make it bad

It won't have Eartha Kitt :(

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

DC Murderverse posted:

I have to agree with this 100% even though I really don't want to. That trailer basically made me think "Hmm, could turn out to be an above-average Tim Burton movie actually."

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

so who do y'all think is gonna win the oscar for best animated short this year? I really liked Bilby because I thought the comedic timing and visual humor really landed, but I think the winner is going to be Later Afternoon. I loved that one and thought it made great use of the medium to tell its story. right in the feels.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Bilby has a minor controversy where the character designs in it were recycled from a scrapped feature film and the character designer who actually created them didn't get credited since they didn't work on the short, given how ambivalent the Academy is to animation I can't imagine it would effect the votes either way but considering how much the creature designs carry it that must suck for the dude to not get to list an award winning short on their resume due to a technicality.

https://www.twitter.com/peterdeseve/status/1080637923182239744

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Which is a drat shame, dude deserves credit for the designs.

and Bilbys are loving adorable critters and I had found out recently they're the Easter mascot in Australia due to the understandable hatred the country has for Rabbits

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

it won’t affect the academy’s decision, but that’s really petty and stupid of DW to do. Either there’s more to the story or someone is being lovely in corporate. Dude deserves credit even if the studio owns the rights to the characters.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'm curious if they'll have Smith mimic Robin Williams or if they'll let him do his own thing

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Bilby isn't nominated for Best Animated Short, it was only part of the shortlist. The nominees are:

Animal Behaviour
Bao
Late Afternoon
One Small Step
Weekends

Incidentally, if someone knows whether Animal Behaviour is available to watch online, please let me know.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

"Almost the same but worse" is an apt summary of the current trend of reboots and sequels.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Samuel Clemens posted:

Bilby isn't nominated for Best Animated Short, it was only part of the shortlist. The nominees are:

Animal Behaviour
Bao
Late Afternoon
One Small Step
Weekends

Incidentally, if someone knows whether Animal Behaviour is available to watch online, please let me know.

Ah good point. Cartoon Brew had the short list up for awhile to watch online, that’s where I saw them all. Didn’t realize they were still paring down. Thanks for clarification. It’ll probably go to Bao but I’m still rooting for Late Afternoon.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
But but! The CGI isn't done yet! They can still fix it! :f5:

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018

Samuel Clemens posted:

Animal Behaviour
Bao
Late Afternoon
One Small Step
Weekends

https://www.nfb.ca/film/animal_behaviour/?animation-hp_en=feature_1
:canada:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
looking forward to seeing will smith's face grotesquely morph into jack nicholson's

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.polygon.com/2019/2/11/18220550/funimation-fires-vic-mignonga-sexual-harassment

Funimation has fired Vic Mignonga from Morose Mononokean and all future projects.

Meanwhile, Vic has come out of hiding to tell his insane fans to stop the threats. They are threatening and trying to ruin who says anything bad about him.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Please tell me Steve Blum and Scott MacNiel aren't monsters :ohdear:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pixeltendo posted:

What? No, no please, don't even put that idea out in the world.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.polygon.com/2019/2/11/18220550/funimation-fires-vic-mignonga-sexual-harassment

Funimation has fired Vic Mignonga from Morose Mononokean and all future projects.

Meanwhile, Vic has come out of hiding to tell his insane fans to stop the threats. They are threatening and trying to ruin who says anything bad about him.

If Vic wanted the threats to stop, he shouldn't have encouraged his fans to go after his critics in the first place.

It's disheartening how much garbage fans are flooding Funi's twitter with absolute goalpost moving, demands and threats.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Robindaybird posted:

If Vic wanted the threats to stop, he shouldn't have encouraged his fans to go after his critics in the first place.

It's disheartening how much garbage fans are flooding Funi's twitter with absolute goalpost moving, demands and threats.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the only reason he's saying anything is because he realized just how big a fuckup it was to do that and it's burning the few bridges he has left.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hopefully they redub his lines with a new VA for the Blu-ray release.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/rafagrassetti/status/1094854201480380416

The above shows If they had been a little more lenient with the photorealism and used Will Smiths mocap and acting data as a basis for a full Cg character then we might get something interesting. But they wanted the likeness they were paying for so instead we got this combo montrosity.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Two things I took away from that teaser: Aladdin looks ridiculous with Abu on his shoulder, it’s like a perfect example of something being just fine as a cartoon but absurd in real life. Abu in general just rubs me completely the wrong way. The second thing is that glimpse at the Prince Ali segment looks pathetic. That sequence in the original is absurdly bombast and exciting; that shot makes it look like an orderly state fair parade.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
https://twitter.com/DeDeur_/status/1095069263713439744

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Extremely cursed.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Thread living up to its title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Ccs posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/rafagrassetti/status/1094854201480380416

The above shows If they had been a little more lenient with the photorealism and used Will Smiths mocap and acting data as a basis for a full Cg character then we might get something interesting. But they wanted the likeness they were paying for so instead we got this combo montrosity.
I mean they might as well have just James Monroe Igleheart from the Broadway play, who I believe is currently in Hamilton.

Dude actually has a bombast that matches Williams while making it his own thing.