Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
OK I'm starting to get the hang of this thing. Just became the Doge of Venice by duelling and then killing my 69 year old predecessor while I had the winning campaign. Some people in the court are angry at my 'dishonourable' conduct, but gently caress 'em. He's the one who kept provoking a 28 year old with combat skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Something happened to the Karlings lately? I dont think Ive saw a single one in my current game, in 300 years

Also the muslin blobs seems more stable than ever. The Arabian Empire in my game only broke because of a chinese invasion. Than it blobbed back in 100 years or so and it took another invasion to break it again. I saw it ruled by a 6 year old who wads universally hated by his vassals (and I mean -100 relations) and still not a single civil war broke

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

lurksion posted:

Nope, unless you ever get into diplo range of China to send them over for chinabucks (I think quality 5 artifacts are worth 2500?)

Sounds like the plan then. I've never messed with China, so there's even an achievement in it for me!

doingitwrong posted:

OK I'm starting to get the hang of this thing. Just became the Doge of Venice by duelling and then killing my 69 year old predecessor while I had the winning campaign. Some people in the court are angry at my 'dishonourable' conduct, but gently caress 'em. He's the one who kept provoking a 28 year old with combat skills.

Yeah, you're figuring out the #1 key to success in this game! :killing:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Soooooooo many problems in this game get solved at the end of a knife. Even moreso in republics.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
My congratulations and condolences to the proud Patricians of the four new trading families who have risen to prominence. I'm sure they'll do quite well with what's left of their predecessors' holdings and we can but hope that their palace's balconies are more sturdily constructed.

I need to learn up on how to take land and trade posts from other nations and republics. Up until now, the bloodshed and ambition has been pretty closely zoomed in to the Venetian lagoon.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

If you have a trade post in someone else's province, you can fight them to take a city there. If you have a city, you can fight to take the whole county.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
But if they aren't an independent, then I have to fight their liege, right? Is there an easy way to check out the strength of my potential enemy's levies? I don't have a good sense yet for how to size up an opponent.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

doingitwrong posted:

But if they aren't an independent, then I have to fight their liege, right? Is there an easy way to check out the strength of my potential enemy's levies? I don't have a good sense yet for how to size up an opponent.

If you go to the character screen and click the Realm Tree button (the org chart lookin' thing next to their crest, opposite the Dynasty Tree button), you can see a quick summary of that character's levy size (current and maximum), as well as that of their overlord and any vassals they have.

That levy size will include the "tax" provided by their vassals, unless it's a tribal realm, which works differently.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

doingitwrong posted:

If you look back on the image of King Toke, he can call on 2.66k troops.

Those are only the levy troops, tribals can call on vassal leaders to supplies a lot of troops directly. And there are also mercenaries and holy order to be raised, but those are restricted to either religious enemies or very rich enemies.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

i should do a merchant republic game one of these days. i've never done one.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

doingitwrong posted:

Yes, you can only declare war on someone who's independent, or who has the same liege as you. And if you look at the character screen of Toke, there's a list of his levies on the right side, with the helmet icon. That's a list of how many he can pull up himself, without factoring in mercenaries, allies, or tribal vassals (who work like allies). Make sure you check their allies! They'll be listed under the "pacts" tab on the bottom. There's nothing quite like the first time you declare war on an "easy target" that happens to be allied with the Holy Roman Emperor or whoever.

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

Hey quick question. I'm doing a Viking run and went to pillage Rome. I have a retinue of 3400 troops, one stack with the pillage button on. I drop them on Rome and...well nothing happened. Is there something silly I am overlooking?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

LostMy2010Accnt posted:

Hey quick question. I'm doing a Viking run and went to pillage Rome. I have a retinue of 3400 troops, one stack with the pillage button on. I drop them on Rome and...well nothing happened. Is there something silly I am overlooking?

Is everyone in raiding mode? Do you have enough troops to seige their holdings? Is there a fleet offshore with room to accept the cash? Do you have a truce timer or non-aggression pact with the Pope? Do you have the secret hidden truce timer that comes from them beating you in battle when you raided them before? If everything looks like it's on the up-and-up, it's almost definitely the last one: if you raid them and they fight you off (even if it's you manually retreating), you can't raid that person again for (iirc) 5 years.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Godamnit. Time to hand over this duchy so I don't have to deal with this crazy rear end in a top hat.

I have never attempted to do a catholic dominance run. Crusades seem cool now so I figured I would give it a try starting from the earliest start date. Any tips on making catholics stronger so they dont peter out by 1080 or whenever crusades start?

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

Goon Danton posted:

Is everyone in raiding mode? Do you have enough troops to seige their holdings? Is there a fleet offshore with room to accept the cash? Do you have a truce timer or non-aggression pact with the Pope? Do you have the secret hidden truce timer that comes from them beating you in battle when you raided them before? If everything looks like it's on the up-and-up, it's almost definitely the last one: if you raid them and they fight you off (even if it's you manually retreating), you can't raid that person again for (iirc) 5 years.

First off, thank you. I didn't realize the amount of factors that impact this so I'll go back and check. I'm feeling it's likely that truce timer from a loss or not having enough to siege all holdings. Either way, I appreciate the run down on it as that helps me understand raiding better.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Wow it's really just laid out right there isn't it?

Boy do I ever need to learn to *look*.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

doingitwrong posted:

Wow it's really just laid out right there isn't it?

Boy do I ever need to learn to *look*.

There are 40 different kinds of information to gleam on the character page alone, everybody here was overwhelmed with it when they first played. It takes time to learn what each symbol/ledger is for, and which of those things are important in which situations.

But a good rule of thumb is this: If you are asking yourself "I wonder if I can look up that information somewhere", then the answer is likely yes. There's a ledger at the bottom right corner of the UI that lists all religions, the number of provinces that belong to each, and their moral authority. Another page details every single currently ongoing war. Another lists every famous bloodline, with the ability to jump to it's founder and open a list of every character possessing the bloodline. Another page lists every independent realm, how many levies they can call up, and how much prestige, piety and gold their top liege has. There are a lot more pages in that ledger alone.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Another potentially important page in the ledger is the one that lists titles you're high in the line of succession for. Just in case something should happen to the people ahead of you, you know?

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Goon Danton posted:

Another potentially important page in the ledger is the one that lists titles you're high in the line of succession for. Just in case something should happen to the people ahead of you, you know?

Got surprised more than once that I suddenly got some province or duchy because somewhere down the hill my family or myself had some sort of connection and everyone in front of me died, leaving me as heir. Happens especially often when many kids are born at the same time and there's no one else to take care of it.

Also, I finally managed to take a look at all the new DLCs and I'm absolutely amazed by all the new stuff.
Played as a small duchy north of India and China basically bullied me continously for a century, until I could persuade them to invade my neighbor empire that limited my expansion drastically.

Speaking of which, I assume the western protectorate is China territory, right? Is there a way to attack or marry into it to get a chunk sooner or later, or does this only happen when I invade China directly and get the dragon throne myself?
Got quite confused of this since the protectorate does not spawn in every starting era either, so I'm wondering if China will just invade on their own and take that for themselves.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Let's just take this as an example what kind of information there is on a character page.

You can see the person's rank at a glance in their portrait. The simple count has these blue ribbons around his portrait, a duke also has blue gems in addition of the ribbons, a king has a golden border around his portrait, and an emperor has purple ribbons and gems around the gold border.

In the upper right hand corner, we see that Oliba wants to become a councilor, has the carousing focus, and has no plots going (that we know of at least). To the left is his dynasty, and his dynasty's coat of arms. By clicking on that shield, you can see the family tree of that character, showing every single member of that dynasty that ever lived.

Under the shield is Oliba's culture (Visigothic), his religion (Catholic, represented by the non-Orthodox cross. If the cross were red, Oliba would be a member of a Catholic heresy), and his government typed (feudal, represented by the blue icon with golden crown).

To the right of that display is a bunch of general information. In order from top to bottom:

Demesne limit (1/6): A character can only hold so many directly holdings (castles, cities, temples - if you hold a county directly, you automatically also hold the top holding, usually a castle) before suffering penalties. Oliba has one direct holding, out of his limit of six.
Vassal limit (0/0): A ruler can only have so many count level or higher direct vassals before suffering penalties and risking some of his vassals going independent on succession. Counts can't have other counts as vassals, so Oliba has a vassal limit of 0/0.
Troop count (366): Shows how many troops a character has access to through "normal" means. This shows the total when you add the levies (both personal and vassal levies) a character can call on, as well as his retinues, and all mercenaries/holy orders the character has currently raised. This does not include the ability of certain tribal and pagan characters to summon warriors out of thin air by either paying piety or prestige. It also doesn't count potential allies who might join a character. Also, vassal levies depend on a vassal's opinion of their liege. Being attacked by a religious enemy gives a +15 "defending against infidel" opinion boost, and any character who would lose land to the attacker should the attacker win will also get a +25 "defending my titles" opinion boost with their liege. Which means that the number of troops that somebody can raise can increase a lot once these opinion boosts come into play. Oliba can currently raise 366 men.
Gold (152): Shows a character's gold stockpile. Oliba has 152 gold. This is important to check, a rich character can hire a lot of mercs in war.
Prestige (194): Show's a character's prestige. This is very important to check before attacking tribals, since tribals can pay prestige to raise extra troops. Oliba has 194 prestige.
Piety (178): Show's a character's piety. Oliba has 178 piety.

Then we have a box with six symbols under the Catholic and feudal symbols.
In the upper left, it's the symbol for artifacts. Characters can collect artifacts with various effects, you can click on this symbol to see a list of all artifacts that they have in their possession at the moment. Poor Oliba doesn't have any artifacts right now, which is why the symbol is grayed out.
To the right of artifacts is the symbol for bloodlines. Characters can be part of famous bloodlines, which can give many different effects. You can click on the blood drop to see somebody's bloodlines. Oliba is a nobody though, so no bloodlines to see here, the symbol is grayed out.
Further to the right is the symbol for victims. You can click on that to see all people a character has killed, either in direct combat, in the middle of a battle, through plots and assassinations, or through executions. Oliba hasn't killed anybody yet.
In the next column, the green button on the left can be used to sway another character, trying to make them like you and to make them your friend.
The red button in the middle is the opposite, it's used to make somebody hate you, to make them your rival.
The button on the right with the letter and dagger is the plot button. You can use it to plot against that character. Usually to kill them.

To the right of those buttons are a characters stats, first their personal stats, then their state stats. So Oliba has 32 personal diplomacy, and 46 state diplomacy, making all his vassals like him a lot more. Stats in the 20s are noteworthy, in the 30s or 40s are outstanding. His state diplomacy is the sum of his own diplomacy, half his wife's diplomacy, and his chancellor's diplomacy. Note that if your wife is a councilor, she won't contribute half her score to state attribute anymore. Oliba has exceptionally good stats across the board, because of his traits and temporary modifiers. At the very bottoms is this character's personal combat skill. Oliba has 38, which is very respectable. This is used to calculate somebody's odds of winning and/or surviving a personal duel or a battlefield event.

I've already explained the titles/claims/war tab at the bottom, leaving only the traits tab. Oliba has fantastic traits. In order:

The highest level of diplomacy education, Grey Eminence.
The heritable "genius" trait, which gives +5 to all stats, and makes your vassals like you more.
The heritable "strong" trait, which increases martial, health and personal combat score, and makes your vassals (and the ladies), like you more.
Paranoid, which increases his intrigue score.
Lustful, which increases his fertility.
Ambitious, which gives him +2 to all stats and makes it a lot more likely for him to act against his liege in order to advance in rank.
Cruel, which increases his intrigue score.
Charitable, which increases his diplomacy score.
Stressed, which decreases his martial, stewardship and learning scores.
And finally possessed, which doesn't really modifies his stats. But it unlocks special events and decisions.

Which brings us to his temporary traits. Those cannot be easily identified at a glance, many temporary traits share their icons with each other. But the two horns in the middle represent the "Voice of Satan" trait. This gives him increased stats but will also lead him to gradually acquire negative traits, and only possessed character can get this special trait. It's the reason why SnoochtotheNooch wants to get rid of Oliba as his vassal, because the combination of ambitious, cruel, paranoid, possessed and hearing the Voice of Satan makes SnoochtotheNooch's character the prime target for "unfortunate accidents", or outright rebellion.

Further down are six additional panels. In the family panel, you can see a character's grandparents, parents, siblings, and children.
In the relations panel, you can see somebody's wives/husbands, concubines/consorts, lovers, rivals and friends.
In the vassals panel, you can see all direct vassals of a character.
In the court panel, you can see all people in a character's court. These are usually somebody's wife and children, their councilors, and any landless characters that are in this character's court.
In the pacts panel, you can see a character's non--aggression pacts, their alliances, their ongoing wars, their truces, the defensive pacts against them, and the defensive pacts they are part of.
I can't recall from the top of my head what the abroad ledger was for. Your children that are educated in another character's court?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
For people who play from TOG or Charlemagne onward, do the culture groups disperse from for example “Norse” into Norwegian in some way, like by event, or will they be Norse all the way to 1455 if you start that early?

Same goes for the ancient kingdoms. If I maintain Svíţjóđ, can I keep it that way until 1455, or will some event change it into Sweden eventually (or is it a decision I can choose to never enact)?

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Feb 11, 2019

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

For people who play from TOG or Charlemagne onward, do the culture groups disperse from for example “Norse” into Norwegian in some way, like by event, or will they be Norse all the way to 1455 if you start that early?

They will disperse by event. Norse will split into Norwegian, Swedish and Danish, unless there's a powerful Scandinavian empire or the Norse pagan religion has been reformed. Norse ruler can also flip to Norman under the right conditions. And Norman rulers can flip to English if they rule Anglo-Saxon provinces.

Lombard flips to Italian unless you make a specific effort to retain the culture.

Visigothic splits into the various Spanish cultures as well, except if they are ruled by a powerdul Visigothic empire.

Saxon flip to German or Dutch unless ruled by a powerful Saxon ruler.

Frankish splits into French or Dutch.

Pictish flips to Scottish unless ruled by a powerful Pictish ruler.

And a group of East Slavic cultures merges to Russian under the right circumstances.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Norse will start splitting up around the tenth century, unless you're an Emperor or have reformed the Germanic religion. Norse rulers and provinces in northern France can start turning Norman around the same time.

Sweden will be called Sviţjod if held by a Norse ruler, Sweden otherwise. There's a few other kingdoms that have alternate names depending on the culture of the ruler.

EDIT: Ah, beaten on the culture explanation. On the subject of cultural names - does it bother anyone else that Normandy is still called Normandy in the earlier starts?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There are very few kingdom or empire level titles that can actually change, though Holy Fury added some. Most of the time, the kingdoms are the same, only the name changes depending on the culture of the title holder. There are the special cases of West Francia, Middle Francia and East Francia, which change names once no longer held by a member of the Karling dynasty.

The big special events for changing kingdoms or empires are things like restoring the Roman Empire, celebrating progress in the Reconquista by renaming Asturias to Leon, settling as the Magyars and creating the kingdom of Hungary, or conquering the holy land as Jews and renaming the kingdom of Jerusalem to Israel.

Edit: Wow, I just looked special title creation up in the CK2wiki, and HF added a ton of them. Not just forming Outremer, but also forming the Slavic Union, and like 6 different decisions in the HRE, like forming the Grand Duchy of Saxony/Austria/Swabia/Franconia, or forming the Swiss Confederation. You can also create the various Spanish kingdoms, create kingdoms for the four Italian merchant republics, form the kingdom of Bosnia, or form the Principality of Antioch. And I'm sure I've overlooked some, that's quite a lot.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 11, 2019

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What gives me the most trouble is tracking down marriageable children of important lords for alliances or inheritance schenanigans. Either you have to manually browse through lords you want to ally with to see if any of their kids are single and willing, or you have to monkey around with the marriage menu to see what kids have parents worth a drat, but if you click off of a child to see their father or realm, the marriage menu collapses and you have to start all over again.

I don't think there's a UI solution for that beyond just algorithmically figuring out what the player wants and making a list of recommendations though. Maybe letting you sort by realm proximity?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Torrannor posted:

There are very few kingdom or empire level titles that can actually change, though Holy Fury added some. Most of the time, the kingdoms are the same, only the name changes depending on the culture of the title holder. There are the special cases of West Francia, Middle Francia and East Francia, which change names once no longer held by a member of the Karling dynasty.

The big special events for changing kingdoms or empires are things like restoring the Roman Empire, celebrating progress in the Reconquista by renaming Asturias to Leon, settling as the Magyars and creating the kingdom of Hungary, or conquering the holy land as Jews and renaming the kingdom of Jerusalem to Israel.

Edit: Wow, I just looked special title creation up in the CK2wiki, and HF added a ton of them. Not just forming Outremer, but also forming the Slavic Union, and like 6 different decisions in the HRE, like forming the Grand Duchy of Saxony/Austria/Swabia/Franconia, or forming the Swiss Confederation. You can also create the various Spanish kingdoms, create kingdoms for the four Italian merchant republics, form the kingdom of Bosnia, or form the Principality of Antioch. And I'm sure I've overlooked some, that's quite a lot.

Could you link to whatever part of the CK2wiki you're looking at that has all that? Sounds interesting and I can't seem to find it myself.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Could you link to whatever part of the CK2wiki you're looking at that has all that? Sounds interesting and I can't seem to find it myself.

Of course:

https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Decisions#Realm

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Just saw the King of France, Germany, Austrasia, Burgundy, Aquitaine and Aragon lose a Holy War for Brandenburg against a slav megaduke and pay out 1200 ducats in compensation.
He's almost a grand in debt and I'm eagerly anticipating his realm imploding.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Wasn’t Holy Fury supposed to include cadet dynasties? Could’ve sworn that was in a dev diary.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
Oliba surprisingly didnt rise beyond count, though he did wipe out my brothers kids once I handed over Toulouse.

Also wtf?

catholics get absolutely rolled at this start date. Without my intervention several times the pseudo french empire would have died by now. I am tempted to break free but then I suspect everything will go to poo poo and the entire germanic north will steam roll france. Last, what the gently caress is with the Lombards constantly going fuckin heretical. Every loving game.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Elias_Maluco posted:

Something happened to the Karlings lately? I dont think Ive saw a single one in my current game, in 300 years

Also the muslin blobs seems more stable than ever. The Arabian Empire in my game only broke because of a chinese invasion. Than it blobbed back in 100 years or so and it took another invasion to break it again. I saw it ruled by a 6 year old who wads universally hated by his vassals (and I mean -100 relations) and still not a single civil war broke

In my game, Karling Francia flipped to Muslim around 1000, held itself together as a 150k levy blob from North Africa and the Iberian peninsula to Thrace (the Byzantines got consumed by them + the Abassids), then once I murdered enough leaders to get a bad one with 90-100k levy, I great holy warred West Francia, zergrushed it for the win with my 75k levy, and 10-15 years later it exploded in a decadence revolt. Now my kings are devouring it.

There’s essentially no Catholics or Orthodox, their MA is single digits in both cases.

Also the mongols invasion notification popped up (twice, I think?) but the mongol empire had already formed beforehand as a Muslim blob so nothing ever happened and they just sat there.

My current game is odd.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I’m playing one of my first long iron man runs for achievements. I just got the one for starting norse and ending an english king of england- started as Haesteinn and rocked the empire of Britannia not too long after. With a few lucky pressed claims I now have a vicerine queen in France and a vassal king in aquitaine, control most of spain, am the king of jerusalem, vassalized the pope, and so on.

I’ve been facing a few weird issues with vassal opinion I was wondering if you guys understood better than I do. Before I started using viceroy kingdoms I used viceroy dukedoms- still do in some regions, and consequently it’s making my feudal vassals loving hate me. Like -18 at this point for some, is it just cumulative? Is there any way of using viceroy duchies without being absolutely reviled?

I also noticed at some point the kingdoms under britannia: england, scotland, wales, ireland got different realm laws as far as declaring external wars. I set the empire of Britannia to only allow external, not internal. And my vassals seem to have a -5 modifier for that. Yet it seems to only be set for Britannia, not the kingdoms. What the gently caress? I thought if you change the law for the higher level realm it changes them both? If not, why are they mad?

I also keep seeing strange opinion modifiers at seemingly random times of -10 for changing obligation law. I haven’t changed the obligation laws in like a century so i have no idea what they’re angry at me about .

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Coolguye posted:

i'm honestly not sure what you would do in CK3 to make it better, really. the main thing i can think of is ripping out and redoing absolutely core systems like the character relationship systems to change how opinion functions, and then basically build from that fundamental difference. beyond the gaminess of a few core systems CK2 has more detail and thought put into its subject matter than pretty much any other game in history.

The game loving sucks and thank god there’s a re-do incoming.

It’s been nearly a decade since anyone had an unmodded CK2 experience that wasn’t just beating the game’s newest Very Realistic Mechanic over their knee. loving lol at it “thought put into the subject matter.”

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It’s been nearly a decade since anyone had an unmodded CK2 experience that wasn’t just beating the game’s newest Very Realistic Mechanic over their knee. loving lol at it “thought put into the subject matter.”

Classic “I hate this game I’ve sunk 1500 hours into” post

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Classic “I hate this game I’ve sunk 1500 hours into” post

100% true

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If you hate the game so much, why on earth would you assume that you'd like a CK3.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
it's incredibly funny to me that people keep quoting that post and saying "yeah some core things are weird" like they're disagreeing with me when the entire thrust of my post was "man you'd really have to rethink something extremely core for a sequel, not much to really add at this point"

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Welp. My third son in my Dragon of Gotland game was a child of destiny. Killing vipers in his crib, beating down a dude with a firepoker at 6. Spent all his time with the smiths, ended childhood Burly and Strong. He hit 16 with 46 martial and Intrigue. I just HAD to get him some land to see what he would do. So Holy Wars into Russia was my plan. I take Novgorod and give it all to him. Lets sit back and see what he does. What does he do? he decides he wants somewhere warm, ditches that cold Russian land and declares conquest on the Omayyad blob. 15k angry viking dragons later, he has the three kingdoms of the north of spain, and is picking fights conquesting up into Brittany, and down toward Gibralter. That wont do! I need in on this!

I prepare invasion, to join my son in Spain. Targetting the rest of the Omayyad north of the straight. While they are still recovering, I hit them with 30k Odin fearing dragon men and vikings. I blanket siege, and now have 108 holdings to deal with. Im only a duke, and its about year 840 and im nearing 80 years old. Going ot make those king titles, ransoms from all the sieges I did netted me nearly 3k gold. Im now sitting on about 7500, and have NOTHING to buy without being generous building temples for some reason. My Chosen Son dies of stress, and now I am by far the strongest person in my known world, able to raise levies of 16k, and having a standing raiding retinue of about 6k. Eldership inheritance laws will consolidate the entire Iberian peninsula under my grandson to allow me to form a visigothic/dragon/viking Spanish Empire. The Ulfing King of Sweden already formed the Empire of Midgard from me cutting up the Suomenusko for lands for my kids. I had 5, and they deserved their own Jarldoms.

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Feb 12, 2019

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Delthalaz posted:

I also noticed at some point the kingdoms under britannia: england, scotland, wales, ireland got different realm laws as far as declaring external wars. I set the empire of Britannia to only allow external, not internal. And my vassals seem to have a -5 modifier for that. Yet it seems to only be set for Britannia, not the kingdoms. What the gently caress? I thought if you change the law for the higher level realm it changes them both? If not, why are they mad?

I also keep seeing strange opinion modifiers at seemingly random times of -10 for changing obligation law. I haven’t changed the obligation laws in like a century so i have no idea what they’re angry at me about .

Crown Laws affect all de jure territory for that title. Your vassals are mad because they're in the de jure empire of Britannia.

The opinion modifier for obligation law changes is bugged and has been for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Various Meat Products posted:

Crown Laws affect all de jure territory for that title. Your vassals are mad because they're in the de jure empire of Britannia.

The opinion modifier for obligation law changes is bugged and has been for a long time.

Ah so even though it says they do not share my crown laws wrt declarations of war under the england tab, they actually do because of the britannia tab?