Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
In case you haven't noticed, use it on mobile and watch what happens when you shake or move your phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Dumb Lowtax posted:

In case you haven't noticed, use it on mobile and watch what happens when you shake or move your phone

holy poo poo, I'm dying, I totally forgot to try that the first time I did it

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Nothing? :confused:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Holy gently caress dead

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Thanks, I'm dead now.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Trig Discipline posted:

this is amazing

http://seoi.net/penint/

draw anything you want and the AI tries to interpret your intent and improve your drawing for you

Well of course, now we have AIs learning to perform the most basic human tasks.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm working on a procedural name generator for "mean people" for a client's game. I need inspiration for it. We start with George Carlin's beef webster. So far:
x "y" z,
x yz,
"x" y
x y

Are the valid formats. Some great example for x yz:

Brutus Angryson
Dick Realprick
Malfoy Wedgiesmith
Esmerelda Chutabolas
Alfred Itchcock
Buck McBully

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Load a list of improper nouns and professions, and use those for most of your quotation-marked variables, prefixing with "The" at random. Starting with namelists from Grand Theft Auto should provide you with a modest starting point. If you're not looking for theming like Mafiosi or Mexican street gangs, just using US census data would be a starting point.

"Trombone" Harris
"Knuckles" O'Shaugnessey
Enrique "The Boxcar" Vialpando
Rawhide "Princess" Kobayashi
Dick "The Homeopath" Hammer

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dareon posted:

Starting with namelists from Grand Theft Auto should provide you with a modest starting point. If you're not looking for theming like Mafiosi or Mexican street gangs, just using US census data would be a starting point.

Just for anyone looking to generate random names, Behind the Name is a website about the origin and popularity of names that has a random name generator that I like a lot.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Tiggum posted:

Just for anyone looking to generate random names, Behind the Name is a website about the origin and popularity of names that has a random name generator that I like a lot.

These would be great for a sci-fi scenario where humanity is just a homogenous oatmeal of world culture

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Tiggum posted:

LMAO at the "generate life story" function. So far, I've been from many places in Eastern Europe, but keep dying around 90 if cancer and/or respiratory disease.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Tired: It’s Raining Men
Wired: Donnghaile

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

There are many European and Asian ethnicities to choose, but there's also "African" and "Native American".

:thunk:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Negrostrike posted:

There are many European and Asian ethnicities to choose, but there's also "African" and "Native American".

:thunk:

Post/username combo.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Dareon posted:

Load a list of improper nouns and professions, and use those for most of your quotation-marked variables, prefixing with "The" at random. Starting with namelists from Grand Theft Auto should provide you with a modest starting point. If you're not looking for theming like Mafiosi or Mexican street gangs, just using US census data would be a starting point.

"Trombone" Harris
"Knuckles" O'Shaugnessey
Enrique "The Boxcar" Vialpando
Rawhide "Princess" Kobayashi
Dick "The Homeopath" Hammer

The Homeopathic Hammer would be a good name for a drug-free boxer, or maybe a mid tier user name

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

:goonsay:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Tiggum posted:

I got Hephaestus Cadmus Heinz

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Slippery posted:

The Homeopathic Hammer would be a good name for a drug-free boxer, or maybe a mid tier user name

He's a hitman that's known for drowning people.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Jabor posted:

but only in like, an extremely diluted solution.

Slippery has a new favorite as of 03:17 on Feb 13, 2019

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Dumb Lowtax posted:

This also works if you move your browser window around on desktop.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ephphatha posted:

This also works if you move your browser window around on desktop.
Absolutely nothing happens?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jabor posted:

you can dredge the lake all you want, you won't find a molecule of the guy

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Zereth posted:

You gotta really work it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Jabor posted:

No, that’s not his MO. What he does is, he takes a pinch of cyanide and mixes it into a cup of water. Then he takes a drop of that water and mixes it into another cup of water. Then he takes a drop of that water and mixes it into a third cup of water. Then he slips a drop of that into the target’s drink.

Then, when that does nothing, he gets so frustrated that he barges in and beats the target to death with a hammer.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zereth posted:

Try it on chrome. If you shake the window enough the shapes start jiggling.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
Excerpts from a Markov mashup of "Star Wars: A New Hope" vs. "Full Metal Jacket".

quote:

HARTMAN
Move it!
I'm gonna rip your balls off so you
cannot contaminate the rest of the huge holes that form the
homestead.

quote:

PYLE picks up the canyon with his Uncle Owen before a table covered with
steaming bowls of food as Aunt Beru carries in a tight circle, stops short, and
smoke begins to pour out of every joint. Luke throws his
arms up in a
school-circle.

(in unison)
Sir, yes, sir!

quote:

HARTMAN
Jesus H. Christ! Private Pyle, but do you
expect me to
believe that you don't know what happened to the
plans they sent you.

quote:

This oil bath is
going to feel so good. I've got
such a bad dream, fatboy.

PYLE sobs loudly and sits up, holding
himself in
pain.

Lying in, his bunk, JOKER covers his ears.

quote:

The robot scoots around in a bowl of red
grain.

LUKE
You know, I think he's
searching for his aunt and
uncle.

Suddenly he comes upon their smoldering remains. He
is stunned, and cannot speak. Hate replaces fear and a few marines!

quote:

LUKE
Wait, there's something dead ahead
on the scanner. It looks to me like the best star-pilot in the
galaxy, and a traitor. Take her away!

Leia is marched away down the line of recruits in skivvies
holding their rifles.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Does anyone know of a good company name generator with a specific focus on cheesy, early 80s computer companies? Think "company name that'd look really awesome in that overused rounded sans-serif font" or something you'd find in the back pages of Byte Magazine, like Centronic or Digicom?

edit: i found this, but i want moar

Switzerland has a new favorite as of 05:09 on Feb 14, 2019

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Ariong posted:

Then, when that does nothing, he gets so frustrated that he barges in and beats the target to death with a hammer.

Nah, he'd use a leather-bound Bible.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
https://thispersondoesnotexist.com/ - a new StyleGAN face on every refresh

Also:
https://twitter.com/gwern/status/1095131651246575616

(from https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=19144280)

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
That makes me extremely uncomfortable wow

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wow, yeah, https://thispersondoesnotexist.com/ is really neat. I could see a good GBS thread coming out of it - doing profiles for each person you see or something.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Holy poo poo. Go ahead and post one, OP doesn't even need any more than what you just said

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
How do you save a generated image without just screenshotting it? Every time I've tried to use save as or image info or whatever it changes to a new different image, I guess because the page thinks it's being refreshed.

It's like snapchat! The AI is covering it's tracks! ISIS can use this to secretly target nonexistent people! :tinfoil:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Holy poo poo. Go ahead and post one, OP doesn't even need any more than what you just said

In the spirit of :justpost: I did
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3882144

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
How much of this procgen stuff is suited to be dragged and dropped into, like, Unity? Or whatever they made Hyper Light Drifter with? How long before we get an RPGMaker style thing for games that don't suck?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Oh boy... I gotta control myself.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Black Mirror episode of some guy refreshing the page only to find a picture of someone he knows

He keeps trying to show people that somethings wrong but the page refreshes too quickly.

His last refresh shows a picture of himself

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

How much of this procgen stuff is suited to be dragged and dropped into, like, Unity? Or whatever they made Hyper Light Drifter with? How long before we get an RPGMaker style thing for games that don't suck?

Incoherent ramble about procedural generation in videogames incoming:

Basic stuff like name generation and markov chains are fairly easy to implement from scratch if you know how to code, so the main hurdle with features like those is gathering the database from which the generation draws its input; I'm pretty certain Unity has some generation-related plugins though.

As for stuff like terrain generation, I'm sure there are already lots of different plug-ins/resources (at least for Unity) that allow easy generation, but there are two potential issues with those: a) ideally you'll want a fairly "personalized" look for the procgen and using a pre-made system may be tough to steer into a completely different direction, and b) procedurally-generated content is often somewhat uniform in that most the results are kinda samey and "boring" (and in the case of stuff like text, nonsensical) - many games need non-procedural elements to sice up the landscape. Some games, such as Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup, even utilize multiple different types of procedural generation to fend off these problems.

For neural networks the issue once again becomes gathering the database (and having the time/resources to teach the NN properly). Another potential issue is performance since neural networks can get pretty heavy (not that other types of generation wouldn't - see stuff like Dwarf Fortress' worldgen). With things like procedurally-generated portraits & backstories this can be averted somewhat by generating the content when you first start a game, so that the game doesn't have to spend time to gen stuff on the fly. I don't actually know if Unity or other tools have NN-based plug-ins available? I'd guess they do since they're so common these days.

Not sure if I completely misunderstood what videogame elements you were referring to; apologies if so. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

procedural maps:
https://twitter.com/unchartedatlas/status/1095514446691209216
https://twitter.com/unchartedatlas/status/1095574756827561984
https://twitter.com/unchartedatlas/status/1095544803843076096

https://azgaar.github.io/Fantasy-Map-Generator/ is also pretty cool