Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Psycho Landlord posted:

No it was pretty much just a case of Erusea being insane nationalists and wanting the giant free energy platform that wasn't even in their territory to begin with. You really don't need to make apologies for the super militaristic monarchists - they're not Belka bad, but they're up there as far as AC antagonist nations go.

If Erusea's aims had actually had anything to do with securing Usea against Osean influence, they wouldn't have blitzed the entire continent in a pre-planned land grab after successfully taking their main objective. They were pulling the same imperialist bullshit they pulled last war. Osea sucks for sure, but trying to imply Erusea is justified in its actions is some bullshit like empathizing with Zeon.

They're both bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

Lunethex posted:

Anyone know if the Mig-21's MGPs count against the medal to use only the machine gun for the campaign?

Eh I suppose there's one possible way to figure that out, by trying for the medal to only use machine guns on Mission 20.

I'm pretty sure they are allowed since they are still machine guns. You should be good.

Ashsaber posted:

Welcome to the boss's invuln phase, just fly and don't waste your missiles until people stop talking. I can't remember any other entry in the series being this blatant other than Joint Assault, where I played so much I could recognize the exact line where the final boss lost his plot armor, you know, at the end of his entire backstory dump.

Oh, I'm well aware of the bullshit time wasting that goes on so that the boss can rest in their easy-chair and recount their life story for the kids. I could maybe even wave off the straight-up plot armor. But do you really have to make them capable of warping reality with 180 degree no-speed-loss turns and instant transmission like they just got off a session of FSX Steam?

Like you said, some games are super blatant about it, but with all the work it looks like they put into AC7 I'm surprised that they haven't bothered to try and hide this better.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Feb 11, 2019

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I appreciated the differences in the briefings as the game progressed. Starting to get into the IFF fuckery section (which im actually enjoying) and the fact that they made changes to the briefing beyond a red offline segment is cool.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Decided to do some multiplayer to grind some cash. Are there cheats out now or am I just getting punked by super QAAMs? I head on a guy, we both fire missiles, we pass each other and dodge the missiles. I go into a g-turn and seconds later I am dead by the same dude. I'm pretty sure even QAAMs don't do 180s and follow g-turns. Same guy ended the match with over 108,000 points.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

ZeusCannon posted:

I appreciated the differences in the briefings as the game progressed. Starting to get into the IFF fuckery section (which im actually enjoying) and the fact that they made changes to the briefing beyond a red offline segment is cool.

I do really like seeing the guy clicking his mouse around, hesitating and reconsidering- it sells the uncomfortable, in-the-dark feeling they're going for after all of the precise plans before.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

turn off the TV posted:

I hope that one of the DLC adds some more missions where you don't really do anything besides blow up a bunch of airplanes.

"Trigger, we are not quite sure how it works, but the Belkans have developed a new superweapon that is causing the airspace B7R to slowly expand and engulf the whole world. The only way to stop it is to fly into B7R and shoot down as many planes as you can within the mission time limit. The time has come for this twisted game to be reset, Grand Poobah of the Roundtable."

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Last Hope is legitimately my favorite mission in this game and IFF simulator was a fun, flavorful gimmick.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Psycho Knight posted:

I'm pretty sure they are allowed since they are still machine guns. You should be good.

These things are great :eyepop:

And it does work. Got the medal for using only guns there.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Zomborgon posted:

I do really like seeing the guy clicking his mouse around, hesitating and reconsidering- it sells the uncomfortable, in-the-dark feeling they're going for after all of the precise plans before.

The briefings are probably best in the series as a package. There are five or six different briefing themes too, though while they are all good, none of them can become iconic either - if you have a one-off briefing theme it needs to be AC04 final mission levels of amazing for that to happen.

Tythas posted:

I believe that plane was in AC2 it was also in AC4

You know, I thought it was familiar. I think it was called F-15 ACTIVE and it had the red-white-blue testing livery.

edit: :siren: you can unlock it in Zero or 5 too!

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 11, 2019

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
It actually shows up in quite a few Ace Combats. AC04, AC5, AC0, and as DLC in AH. Probably in Infinity too but I didn't get to play that.

I finally stopped being distracted enough to finish my first PC playthrough and managed, by complete accident, to get the "finish the campaign in four hours" medal. This is despite going for S ranks on every mission (only managed to miss three of them on my first go) so I kinda wish this game had the AC6 campaign summary which told you how much time you spent on each mission on the current playthrough because now I want to know by how much I managed to miss the medal by on my first PS4 playthrough because I don't think I was that much faster going through it on the PC.

Insert name here fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 11, 2019

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Am I not allowed to restart from checkpoints when going for the no damage medal? I've beaten the game on easy twice now and it still hasn't popped.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Sulphagnist posted:

The briefings are probably best in the series as a package. There are five or six different briefing themes too, though while they are all good, none of them can become iconic either - if you have a one-off briefing theme it needs to be AC04 final mission levels of amazing for that to happen.

Isn't there no briefing music for that mission?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
The guns are not a steady stream of very long range dumbfire mini-missiles in AC7, so gun-only AC5 is child's play and feels strange to play, but it is pretty good. Only wish it had the precise clean input of AC7.

imweasel09 posted:

Am I not allowed to restart from checkpoints when going for the no damage medal? I've beaten the game on easy twice now and it still hasn't popped.

It worked fine in 1.00 at least. Did you get the no damage bonus for every mission finished?

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 11, 2019

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

turn off the TV posted:

Isn't there no briefing music for that mission?

poo poo, I think I was thinking of the hangar music.

I mean having no briefing music at all is a powerful move too but not what I quite meant :v:

edit: Yeah I was thinking of the hangar music.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 11, 2019

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Insert name here posted:

It actually shows up in quite a few Ace Combats. AC04, AC5, AC0, and as DLC in AH. Probably in Infinity too but I didn't get to play that.

Infinity had the most broken, OP version- high speed, high alpha, armed with a ton of FAE's*. They completely dominated Ops like Moscow, where they can clean the floor and then still dogfight after.

The F-15S/MTD ACTIVE is weird in Ace Combat, because it keeps flipping from the NASA experiment to a combat prototype to an assumed active production then back to experimental. Name keeps changing with it but technically they're all the same plane. It's why it shows up as an AC3 'fictional' aircraft, because it doesn't actually exist except that it does.

It's Schrodinger's Eagle.

*I keep thinking it had SFFW, but that was the Mudhen.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Paingod556 posted:

Infinity had the most broken, OP version- high speed, high alpha, armed with a ton of FAE's*. They completely dominated Ops like Moscow, where they can clean the floor and then still dogfight after.

The F-15S/MTD ACTIVE is weird in Ace Combat, because it keeps flipping from the NASA experiment to a combat prototype to an assumed active production then back to experimental. Name keeps changing with it but technically they're all the same plane. It's why it shows up as an AC3 'fictional' aircraft, because it doesn't actually exist except that it does.

It's Schrodinger's Eagle.

*I keep thinking it had SFFW, but that was the Mudhen.

I liked the AC4 version best because AFAIK it's the only one that was single seater, but it took them until Assault Horizon to realize that they had to move the cannon to an underbelly pod because if they left it in the wing root like the stock F-15C, it would shoot off its own canard.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I just appreciate that some of the super jets are around 30 years old by the events of AC7 and still are barely used.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

turn off the TV posted:

I just appreciate that some of the super jets are around 30 years old by the events of AC7 and still are barely used.

F-22 in a nutshell.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I finished the game. It's fantastic, my only real complaint is that there isn't more of it. Especially more big battle missions like Farbanti. All the post communications collapse changes are probably the coolest storytelling move in the entire series.

I'm very happy they brought back the Wyvern, it was always my favorite super plane thanks to the reverse sweep and the ridiculous elaborate transformation sequence.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 11, 2019

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Well the good new is that Soon(tm) there will be more of it and it looks like that more will be actual new story content rather than level remixes like 6.

Refused
Sep 6, 2005

Broose posted:

Decided to do some multiplayer to grind some cash. Are there cheats out now or am I just getting punked by super QAAMs? I head on a guy, we both fire missiles, we pass each other and dodge the missiles. I go into a g-turn and seconds later I am dead by the same dude. I'm pretty sure even QAAMs don't do 180s and follow g-turns. Same guy ended the match with over 108,000 points.

The multiplayer-only parts are really effective. You're at a huge disadvantage if you don't have them but your opponents do. Try sticking to low-cost rooms and using the railgun or SASMs until you can afford them.

I hope the DLC missions are good. Mission 20 was kind of a huge letdown after 19.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I just hope the dlc missions drop like 800k mrp in one go. Tired of grinding.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

ZeusCannon posted:

I just hope the dlc missions drop like 800k mrp in one go. Tired of grinding.

Can't you just replay mission 19 in freeplay to get like 600k per shot?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Dramicus posted:

Can't you just replay mission 19 in freeplay to get like 600k per shot?

Nope, it only gives the full amount once you finish a campaign

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Nope, it only gives the full amount once you finish a campaign

Oh well, the campaign is fun and restarting gives you an excuse to use the low-tier planes you didn't pick up the first time.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Gotta beat the campaign 4 times for a trophy anyways, I’ve almost done that and it seems like it’s enough money to buy everything.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah, a bit of MP and my Ace run were enough to pretty much finish out the SP portion of the tree, and I still have another full campaign run to do for the achievement (though that's easy so it's going to pay like poo poo.)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I kinda hope they patch in Joystick support on the PC because flying with the mouse makes me way too twitchy in comparison.

Also where is my stand alone soundtrack release. :argh:

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Cooked Auto posted:

I kinda hope they patch in Joystick support on the PC because flying with the mouse makes me way too twitchy in comparison.

Also where is my stand alone soundtrack release. :argh:

Or you could get an xbox controller like a normal human being.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I have played AC2, 3, 4, 5, 0, 6 and now 7 with the 360 controller and nothing you do can stop me

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Sulphagnist posted:

You know, I thought it was familiar. I think it was called F-15 ACTIVE and it had the red-white-blue testing livery.

edit: :siren: you can unlock it in Zero or 5 too!

Yes however the one with the Square engine nozzels is only in AC2 and AC4

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Finally got my hands on the F-22 for my Ace playthrough, and my word, it really is powerful. Breezed right through Long Day with those quad-bombs, and it was pretty effective at dogfighting when I needed to do that, too.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Tythas posted:

Yes however the one with the Square engine nozzels is only in AC2 and AC4

Also square in Zero.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Dramicus posted:

Or you could get an xbox controller like a normal human being.

I beat the campaign (twice) using mouse+keyboard and I have no regrets. Bonus points: I also forgot the keybind for flares like 30 seconds after it told me and literally never bothered to look it up again.

I even have a dualshock knockoff but I just kind of never got around to plugging it in after discovering the broken-rear end joystick support and at this point why bother.

Or I might just be insane.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Some kind of controller is probably an essential accessory to PC gaming. I pretty much only use M&KB for FPS games at this point

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

turn off the TV posted:

I have played AC2, 3, 4, 5, 0, 6 and now 7 with the 360 controller and nothing you do can stop me

I don't see X on there, so you've clearly failed already.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Some kind of controller is probably an essential accessory to PC gaming. I pretty much only use M&KB for FPS games at this point

The steam controller is surprisingly good at FPS if the developer puts some work into supporting it properly. See Warframe for an example.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

So yeah, the SASM Gripen is disgusting.

(#2 guy was also using an SASM Gripen)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

power crystals posted:

I beat the campaign (twice) using mouse+keyboard and I have no regrets. Bonus points: I also forgot the keybind for flares like 30 seconds after it told me and literally never bothered to look it up again.
I forgot flares existed since wiggling yourself slightly makes missiles miss and you have to do it roughly one thousand times every mission while you have less than 5 flares.

quote:

I even have a dualshock knockoff but I just kind of never got around to plugging it in after discovering the broken-rear end joystick support and at this point why bother.
This is news to me. My DS4 worked fine with the game on PC. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Flares are real handy for the times when you really don't want to break off of a target, which happens roughly three times in any mission, so I think that it works out.

e: I'm really excited for the prospect that someone cracks this game and is able to replace the annoying whirring sound that the MiGs make when accelerated or decelerating.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 12, 2019