Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

fknlo posted:

That was $17k. He's not gonna be anywhere near that, but $1400 is laughable.

Taking it to a place that does bodywork repairs on M3/5s and high end Porsches, I won't be shocked if the number is pretty high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

fknlo posted:

That was $17k. He's not gonna be anywhere near that, but $1400 is laughable.

That whole saga of yours still makes me go :negative:

This turned out to be over 7k in repairs, but over half was new control arm (steering when was straight in the picture...) and then the body shop really taking insurance company for all they're worth with things like new door seals, fog light on the opposite side of the car... but was 100% on the at fault driver's insurance so I didn't bother to make a fuss.

Edit: oh yeah, and the fixed all the pre-existing wheel rash, which was rad.

I really miss that car. :(

PabloBOOM fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 11, 2019

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

xsf421 posted:

Taking it to a place that does bodywork repairs on M3/5s and high end Porsches, I won't be shocked if the number is pretty high.

Smart choice. That's what I did when the quality of the first shops work became apparent. Took another $5k to get it to where I was satisfied. I would have taken the car there at the start but was 2 states away when it got wrecked.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
A Seattle VW sales rep reached out to me the other day. I'm on a list for '19 Golf R, which may or may not come in April-May. He said it took until December of '18 to fulfill all preorders the previous year, which seemed insane to me. Apparently the US only gets about 3k of these cars total.

I asked about the Spektrum program and he laughed and said the states are getting about 50 of those total. Not R's, just 50 total VW's with custom paint as they didn't figure out the distribution model ahead of time? I was real tempted to try and get a green R but oh well!

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I've now taken both a Golf R (DSG) and a Civic Type R out for a decent test drive and I want both. This is unfair

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Nuts and Gum posted:

A Seattle VW sales rep reached out to me the other day. I'm on a list for '19 Golf R, which may or may not come in April-May. He said it took until December of '18 to fulfill all preorders the previous year, which seemed insane to me. Apparently the US only gets about 3k of these cars total.

I asked about the Spektrum program and he laughed and said the states are getting about 50 of those total. Not R's, just 50 total VW's with custom paint as they didn't figure out the distribution model ahead of time? I was real tempted to try and get a green R but oh well!

Weird. The VW salesman at my local dealer said he'd put three orders in for them already, and was happy to take mine down if I wanted it.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Solus posted:

I've now taken both a Golf R (DSG) and a Civic Type R out for a decent test drive and I want both. This is unfair

Not sure how the thread will handle this

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Everything is repairable except the for the fog assembly and the headlamp if it’s scratched like it looks

way too much crease in that fender for it to be cleanly repairable

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
They also aren't going to plastic weld together a bumper cover crack

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

oh for sure

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

Depends on how much an RS bumper cover costs, you may be able to throw a lot of labor at it before it becomes cost effective to replace.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

way too much crease in that fender for it to be cleanly repairable

See above

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You must have worked for ghetto body shop

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

fa real, i would not get my car fixed at a shop that told me mikey was gonna throw hours at that fender til it looked eehhh not so bad

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

Yeah, this absolutely. We aren't talking about him trying to fix the issue at home or at a body shop on the cheap/on the side. That's likely what the insurance company would have tried to do with the original $1400 estimate.

Fortunately this is an accident in the year 2019 with insurance where the other person is at fault. Good shops aren't going to bother fixing things like that, they just simply replace them. At worst they might buy some off brand OEM spec replacement parts, but even then good shops typically wont do this unless the OEM items are unavailable/no longer made/etc. Sometimes they'll even go the extra mile to find stock replacement parts from junked/salvaged cars instead of buying non-OEM stuff simply so that there is less fitment issues, less quality control issues, questionable materials, etc.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Weird. The VW salesman at my local dealer said he'd put three orders in for them already, and was happy to take mine down if I wanted it.

He can put in all the orders he wants. Doesn't mean he'll get any.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

PaintVagrant posted:

Not sure how the thread will handle this

It's fine? But the Honda's aren't hatchbacks imo

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

RS blue is 3 stage paint as well right? $$$

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

100% Dundee posted:

Fortunately this is an accident in the year 2019 with insurance where the other person is at fault.

Making some pretty big assumptions about Michigan insurance. My adjuster actually had to look up the details because she didn't believe me when I explained how our no-fault insurance works.

Anyway, the shop is going to take a look Wednesday, but the dude on the phone guessed closer to $10k than $1400. They have some experience working with RSs, and their policy is to replace everything, and any panel that needs paint gets removed from the car.

PaintVagrant posted:

It is, and apparently a complete bastard to work with.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BraveUlysses posted:

because the hatch lid doesn't extend down far enough (the overhang)?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

what are you defining the Civic hatcback as?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what are you defining the Civic hatcback as?

the ones they sold in the 90s that were actual hatchbacks

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

the ones they sold in the 90s that were actual hatchbacks

What's a hatchback?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

Yeah. Mine needed a new door panel and the paint looks perfect, but it cost like $2500.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

This doesnt bode well for my platinum white (also 3 stage paint) hood repair being inexpensive. Still considering just buying a clean (any color) hood from a yard, installing some vents, and wrapping it. Actually considering wrapping the whole car...

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

PaintVagrant posted:

This doesnt bode well for my platinum white (also 3 stage paint) hood repair being inexpensive. Still considering just buying a clean (any color) hood from a yard, installing some vents, and wrapping it. Actually considering wrapping the whole car...

Do it!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

Nah, never a shop. If it’s a $1,400 insurance estimate you know for sure that’s what they’re writing. I presume an RS fender is different from a regular Focus fender and the front cover certainly is. If they’re marked up to lol prices and nobody is making aftermarket or there isn’t a used one available, I wouldn’t be surprised to see someone trying to fix it. The break even on replace vs repair may be quite high.

All that said, I’d bitch all the way up the chain if that was the case.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I guarantee the adjuster didn't know what kind of car that was or why it is special and just quoted prices for a Focus SE.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

KillHour posted:

I guarantee the adjuster didn't know what kind of car that was or why it is special and just quoted prices for a Focus SE.

Could be this, depends on what estimating software they’re using. Most decode the VIN to the trim level but if it’s some rinky dink company I could see this

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
The shop knows their stuff, so hopefully they are equally capable in explaining it all out to the insurance company, who will then (hopefully) cut the check. Some insurance is jerks, but some shops are good at avoiding the hassle on our part.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Could be this, depends on what estimating software they’re using. Most decode the VIN to the trim level but if it’s some rinky dink company I could see this

Geico had to call me back after I opened my insurance because their system didn't have an RS option and they quoted me $83/month. After much bitching, they agreed to give me that rate for the first 6 months.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

KillHour posted:

Geico had to call me back after I opened my insurance because their system didn't have an RS option and they quoted me $83/month. After much bitching, they agreed to give me that rate for the first 6 months.

I think USAA has mine listed as "FORD FOCUS RS 4X4 4D", which entertains me to no end.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Mine is "FORD FIESTA STATION WAGON" :lol:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

xsf421 posted:

I think USAA has mine listed as "FORD FOCUS RS 4X4 4D", which entertains me to no end.

I mean, it's accurate. Now I'm gonna go find some 4x4 truck badges and put them on my car.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

PaintVagrant posted:

Mine is "FORD FIESTA STATION WAGON" :lol:

same.. I giggled

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Yeah the Nitrous Blue is a quad coat paint and you’d better find a really high end body shop to make it look right. I’d absolutely be looking for shops that specialize in high end cars like Porsches, Ferraris, etc because it’s real easy to gently caress up and look like poo poo. Nitrous Blue is primer followed by Grabber Blue base coat, followed by metallic flake, then a layer or pearl, then clear coat. I’d absolutely be turning this claim into my own insurance and getting everything done exactly how you want it, then suing the other driver for your deductible. The other option is if you have a cool shop, there is no shortages of carbon fiber body parts for the RS :discourse:

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Huge_Midget posted:

Yeah the Nitrous Blue is a quad coat paint and you’d better find a really high end body shop to make it look right. I’d absolutely be looking for shops that specialize in high end cars like Porsches, Ferraris, etc because it’s real easy to gently caress up and look like poo poo. Nitrous Blue is primer followed by Grabber Blue base coat, followed by metallic flake, then a layer or pearl, then clear coat. I’d absolutely be turning this claim into my own insurance and getting everything done exactly how you want it, then suing the other driver for your deductible. The other option is if you have a cool shop, there is no shortages of carbon fiber body parts for the RS :discourse:

Yeah, this repair shop is BMW certified, and does touch up work for all the local Porsche dealers. Their yelp reviews have an m5 and gt3 in them, so I'm hoping nitrous blue isn't too much to ask. Everyone in the Michigan RS owners Facebook group recommends them.

E: insurance adjuster had to call me back after looking at Michigan insurance rules, we're super special here.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

That’s because MI has the most insane insurance rules including lifetime PIP where up to 3 family members can get paid to take care of you 24/7 with basically zero documentation

It’s in addition to the crazy liability laws as well

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

xsf421 posted:

Yeah, this repair shop is BMW certified, and does touch up work for all the local Porsche dealers. Their yelp reviews have an m5 and gt3 in them, so I'm hoping nitrous blue isn't too much to ask. Everyone in the Michigan RS owners Facebook group recommends them.

E: insurance adjuster had to call me back after looking at Michigan insurance rules, we're super special here.

You’re in MI? Are you friends with Jessica on FB? She’s a Ford Master mechanic in Dearborn and has done more RS head gasket recalls than anyone and she also has a Nitrous Blue RS. She had someone sideswipe her drivers door and she took it somewhere to have it fixed and it’s good as new, so I’d definitely be asking her where she went.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Huge_Midget posted:

You’re in MI? Are you friends with Jessica on FB? She’s a Ford Master mechanic in Dearborn and has done more RS head gasket recalls than anyone and she also has a Nitrous Blue RS. She had someone sideswipe her drivers door and she took it somewhere to have it fixed and it’s good as new, so I’d definitely be asking her where she went.

Yeah, she was one of the people recommending this place, they did her car, and at least two others in the facebook group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/02/13/mini-john-cooper-works-gp-300-horsepower/