Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
TG Forums As An Industry: d6 Mignogna

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Terrible Opinions posted:

Hence saying "for a good long time" rather than just leaving it at the refuse. 2014 was long after it was known that Zak was a serial harasser.

For a long time the board had a policy of not moderating people for what they did off-board. The rationale was that there was just too much rumor and innuendo to keep track of, and there was no way to prove what was true and what was not. Please understand that I am not defending this policy, but explaining how things were.

And, indeed, those days are over - it has become VERY clear that we can't operate like that any more. Zak would have been banned much sooner today.

Edit to add: And, yes, we used to give game developers more leeway. The rationale was that in the early days of the board many thought it was open season on developers ("your game sucks and you should die") 24/7. In retrospect this was taken too far, and that is not how things work today.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 12, 2019

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

PST posted:

That's...not what happened. That's a real misrepresentation of what happened.

Edit even with your selective quoting that's still trying to build a strawman.

Mcfarland is a piece of poo poo, Zak is a piece of poo poo, Pundit as well, and Desborough and Webb and Mentzer and who knows how many others. EDIT: Ohh and Paizo for their child abuse demon and trying to cover it up, then lying about removing it and their lovely treatment of Price and others.

But that doesn't mean you should be lying about what did and didn't happen x time ago when it came out about McFarland.

I don't see how I'm lying when I'm making jokes about unwelcome opinions on Matt's current (at that time) personal integrity being shared around and aging worse in retrospect. To be fair though, there was a lot of awkward hand-wringing from other people who were uncomfortable believing the first accusations without stacks of evidence that was way more obnoxious.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Why did Olivia Hill get banned on RPG.net back when?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

ravenkult posted:

Why did Olivia Hill get banned on RPG.net back when?

She says it was related to Zak, actually.

https://twitter.com/machineiv/status/1095147081239392256

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

That's why I'm asking.

Lost_Heretic
Feb 16, 2016

According to RPG.net Olivia Hill was banned for doxxing Onyx Path writer Matthew Dawkins this past summer.

Check your poo poo Nuns.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
As I recall, she got banned officially for “doxxing” somebody, but it was a pretty transparent fig leaf. I’m not gonna lie, I think RPGnet needs to be officially revisiting their decisions to ban Holden and Olivia, because they seem to have had a lot more to do with them being disruptive to the industry than it did with them being disruptive on RPGnet. It’s a bad look today.

I’ve historically been pretty indifferent to claims that RPGnet needs better conflict of interest rules, because, um, I honestly can’t think of any. But I feel like things are reaching the point where the industry’s ongoing incestuousness is creating problems, and not because of things like “nobody lets me say mean things about White Wolf games.”

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Read the whole loving thread.

https://twitter.com/machineiv/status/1095145225440288769

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Lost_Heretic posted:

Olivia Hill was banned for doxxing Onyx Path writer Matthew Dawkins this past summer.

Check your poo poo Nuns.

I posted that because it looked like ravenkult was asking for it, I'm sorry it came off like a rebuttal or fact, but can you elaborate more on that?

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

Rand Brittain posted:

I’m not gonna lie, I think RPGnet needs to be officially revisiting their decisions to ban Holden

lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Beast practically seems like the woke rapist manifesto. 'Oh, we're such tragic and pitiful but also cool and righteous, and all the other cool kids like us because we're part of the club and not like we prey on anyone important, the only people who'd ever oppose us are crazy horrible bigots who deserve what they get'.

I guess the theme of the day is sexual predators who hide behind a progressive facade and being part of the cool kids and apparently only getting by because of the Geek Social Fallacies. There's been a shitload of those lately.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Revisiting Olivia's ban would really be a good idea for RPGnet right now. There's not nearly enough redress to the people that were hurt going around yet.

e: I get the impression Olivia wouldn't actually want to return even if the ban was lifted, but it would still be a helpful gesture.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ratoslov posted:

The only lessons Beasts teach is that Beasts should be killed and the value of keeping tarps and quicklime in your car.

I can't say this enough, SHOVELS people SHOVELS.

Also a bag of potting soil. Your lawyer will thank you.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
and an animal carcass to bury above the corpse and throw off sniffer dogs.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Nuns with Guns posted:

I posted that because it looked like ravenkult was asking for it, I'm sorry it came off like a rebuttal or fact, but can you elaborate more on that?
To make a long story short the supposed doxxing was Olivia posting a public email.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Rand Brittain posted:

As I recall, she got banned officially for “doxxing” somebody, but it was a pretty transparent fig leaf. I’m not gonna lie, I think RPGnet needs to be officially revisiting their decisions to ban Holden and Olivia, because they seem to have had a lot more to do with them being disruptive to the industry than it did with them being disruptive on RPGnet. It’s a bad look today.

I’ve historically been pretty indifferent to claims that RPGnet needs better conflict of interest rules, because, um, I honestly can’t think of any. But I feel like things are reaching the point where the industry’s ongoing incestuousness is creating problems, and not because of things like “nobody lets me say mean things about White Wolf games.”

Wasn't Holden standing up for a dude who people were calling out, I feel like I remember there being some poo poo about him when the Matt stuff first surfaced

Lost_Heretic
Feb 16, 2016

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Wasn't Holden standing up for a dude who people were calling out, I feel like I remember there being some poo poo about him when the Matt stuff first surfaced

Yeah, he's always stood by his Exalted co-developer John Mørke, who demanded women break up with their boyfriends in order to work on Exalted. Also, Holden wrote some weird stuff about Abyssal rape ghosts and rape possession. After being ostracized by the RPG community for bad behavior, he's begun call out other people for bad behavior and hopes no one notices his track record.

But SomethingAwful remembers.

Lost_Heretic fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 12, 2019

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Lost_Heretic posted:

who demanded women break up with their boyfriends in order to work on Exalted.

But SomethingAwful remembers.

Ek-loving-scuse me?

That's a new wrinkle I hadn't encountered. Did anyone actually do that, despite how big a red flag it was? Are they okay?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Oh right the rape ghosts

That's a sentence I just typed excuse me while I sob

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

MadScientistWorking posted:

To make a long story short the supposed doxxing was Olivia posting a public email.

There's that moderation.

Lost_Heretic
Feb 16, 2016

Xiahou Dun posted:

Ek-loving-scuse me?

That's a new wrinkle I hadn't encountered. Did anyone actually do that, despite how big a red flag it was? Are they okay?

Here's an incomplete list of tweets by one writer. It happened to others though: https://twitter.com/search?q=%40rufflejax%20morke&src=typd

Lost_Heretic fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 12, 2019

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Lost_Heretic posted:

Morke Abuse Comes to Light: https://imgur.com/r/KotakuInAction/tG91P

Ready a vomit bag. This is also PEAK Holden.
Not to doubt that Holden is a shithead, but I'm not going to trust an imgur album sourced from an alt-right subreddit

e: like, the tweets from Jacqueline are pretty damning, but ideally you'd link to just those and not a bunch of stuff about him criticizing an alt-right movement

Lost_Heretic
Feb 16, 2016

Elephant Parade posted:

Not to doubt that Holden is a shithead, but I'm not going to trust an imgur album sourced from an alt-right subreddit

e: like, the tweets from Jacqueline are pretty damning, but ideally you'd link to just those and not a bunch of stuff about him criticizing an alt-right movement

Sorry, this was the first thing to come up in Google. I'll see if I can find other copies.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

Opaque moderation procedures wherein the users cannot know what is going on behind the scenes, combined with a decent handful of OPP luminaries and freelancers in moderator positions, while threads about OPP properties were being moderated in ways that stifled criticism, did not look good.

Apparently RPG.net had procedures to ensure there was no conflict of interest, but there was literally no way to tell: from what I recall (this happened years ago) any claim about there being a conflict of interest was met with "there isn't one" if not snide mockery. There weren't any guarantees offered, just assertions there wasn't a problem.

And, you know, when you come to the staff of a place with "so hey this looks like it might be a problem" and all you get in response is a kind of brusque "there isn't a problem", when there's no apparent safeties or checks, it doesn't inspire confidence.

Hence saying "for a good long time" rather than just leaving it at the refuse. 2014 was long after it was known that Zak was a serial harasser.

"Was known" is a very nebulous concept in abuse situations. Often when you hear about some abuser in the news you can find people speaking up about it years before - but there was no critical mass of people getting the message out. A decent chunk of people often know that someone is an abuser, but this doesn't mean that everyone knows.

With Zak specifically I felt people were dragging their feet about recognizing it for an overly long time, but I also think of Marion Zimmer Bradley, whose malfeasance was known for decades by people who had actual court transcripts as evidence - but it was only recently that it got any traction.

Or whatshername, RequiresHate. That she was an abusive twit was known within select fandom communities - but it took until someone put in a major effort in collating the evidence and broadcasting it for that to really penetrate the wider Internet consciousness.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

MadScientistWorking posted:

Well.

If memory serves. It was only really discovered that it was a public address after she posted it. And posting a private e-mail chain as a gotcha to try and own someone without even going through the motions of trying to santize it was a profoundly lovely move, particularly of someone who has been a victim of that. And Olivia copped to that.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

I don't see how I'm lying when I'm making jokes about unwelcome opinions on Matt's current (at that time) personal integrity being shared around and aging worse in retrospect. To be fair though, there was a lot of awkward hand-wringing from other people who were uncomfortable believing the first accusations without stacks of evidence that was way more obnoxious.

Do you guys feel that Matt's banning on rpg.net was better, or worse than how SA handled Aatrek?

I think the parallels were pretty interesting given that the situations were so similar. What's really impressive is that, somehow, rpg.net was able to avoid a massive crusade to de-tumblrfy the forums and didn't need to implement a mass purge of anyone even vaguely dissatisfied with the fact that a convicted sex offender was allowed to moderate the forums.

LatwPIAT posted:

Opaque moderation procedures wherein the users cannot know what is going on behind the scenes

That sounds familiar, but I can't place where...

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
You ever notice how in this sort of thing, the people speaking up and pushing back against abuse are expected to conform to the strictest standards of behavior or else suffer the full punishment available? And the actual abusers' behaviors are allowed to slide with some variation of "Well I'm not excusing it but" and then no actual consequences?

Because you should notice that. It always happens.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Bedlamdan posted:

Do you guys feel that Matt's banning on rpg.net was better, or worse than how SA handled Aatrek?

I think the parallels were pretty interesting given that the situations were so similar. What's really impressive is that, somehow, rpg.net was able to avoid a massive crusade to de-tumblrfy the forums and didn't need to implement a mass purge of anyone even vaguely dissatisfied with the fact that a convicted sex offender was allowed to moderate the forums.

Wait.

Is your problem that rpg.net didn't root out all the pro-rape people or that SA kind of half rear end did try?

Either way why are you sad that people who are pro sex-offender can't use a private internet forum?

What?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

Wait.

Is your problem that rpg.net didn't root out all the pro-rape people or that SA kind of half rear end did try?

Either way why are you sad that people who are pro sex-offender can't use a private internet forum?

What?

I'm saying that both rpg.net and SA had mods who were outed as sex offenders, but somehow rpg.net was able to, you know, get rid of theirs without Cessna or whoever deciding the problem was actually the SJWs and how people were too sensitive about rape.

And that the people on rpg.net were able to criticize rpg.net for McFarland without being mass-banned.

How the gently caress did you read that and assume 'oh, the problem was that they banned the rapists' jesus gently caress

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Bedlamdan posted:

I'm saying that both rpg.net and SA had mods who were outed as sex offenders, but somehow rpg.net was able to, you know, get rid of theirs without Cessna or whoever deciding the problem was actually the SJWs and how people were too sensitive about rape.

And that the people on rpg.net were able to criticize rpg.net for McFarland without being mass-banned.

How the gently caress did you read that and assume 'oh, the problem was that they banned the rapists' jesus gently caress

I...

What???

Just.

??????????????????????

None of this the poo poo you just said makes sense, dude.

Edit : I'm legit perplexed by how this could be a sentence written by a person. It contradicts itself so many, many ways. You're like an idiot savant if they were a savant in idiocy. I dont' even know what to do. You're so dumb I'm going to drink wine and then go to bed. There's no point in talking to you. Your loving first sentence doesn't make sense and goes against your own premise. How are you a person.

Xiahou Dun fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Feb 12, 2019

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

I'm not sure what's so difficult to understand, but, okay, feel free to flounce the gently caress off.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kurieg posted:

Well.

If memory serves. It was only really discovered that it was a public address after she posted it. And posting a private e-mail chain as a gotcha to try and own someone without even going through the motions of trying to santize it was a profoundly lovely move, particularly of someone who has been a victim of that. And Olivia copped to that.

Ah, okay, so a mix of bad mistakes and apologies that was also a "convenient" reason to slip a ban in.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Bedlamdan posted:

I'm not sure what's so difficult to understand, but, okay, feel free to flounce the gently caress off.

"I'm saying that both rpg.net and SA had mods who were outed as sex offenders, but somehow rpg.net was able to, you know, get rid of theirs without Cessna or whoever deciding the problem was actually the SJWs and how people were too sensitive about rape."

This as an actual sentence you wrote that makes no loving sense. If it wasn't 12:30 here I'd diagram how this makes no sense semantically.

None of this poo poo is related what are you doing.

None of this poo poo is factual, logical, related or even loving cogent. Why are you bringing it up?

By the same logic I could just mention that I have a ferret. And I don't. And it would still work.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Rand Brittain posted:

I think this has put the final nail in the Beast coffin. It won’t get a 2e or another book.

Wishful thinking. There's still Dark Eras 2 and the Contagion Chronicle, books that were already in development and had chunks written in them with the development goal of including Beast crossover focus. Beast already used the second edition rules, but if CofD went through a hypothetical third edition, I wouldn't put it past Onyx Path to try to rehabilitate it conceptually.

The Olivia Hill tweet thread posted:

Later that day, he outed a social justice blogger's real name to Gamergaters. He wasn't banned.

Is there more detail available on this? I already knew I didn't like Matthew Dawkins, but I had just thought it was because his sense of taste ran opposite mine.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Bedlamdan bad faith defends companies keeping on sex offenders by going "but Aatrek" every single time.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

"I'm saying that both rpg.net and SA had mods who were outed as sex offenders, but somehow rpg.net was able to, you know, get rid of theirs without Cessna or whoever deciding the problem was actually the SJWs and how people were too sensitive about rape."

This as an actual sentence you wrote that makes no loving sense. If it wasn't 12:30 here I'd diagram how this makes no sense semantically.

None of this poo poo is related what are you doing.

None of this poo poo is factual, logical, related or even loving cogent. Why are you bringing it up?

By the same logic I could just mention that I have a ferret. And I don't. And it would still work.

I thought by all the ???????? you decided to just gently caress off, my dude. You seemed pretty done. Are you drunk or high or having a meltdown?

My dude, Lowtax's response to Aatrek was to basically mass-ban anyone who was upset at him over letting Aatrek be a mod, and then the lesson the dude took away from it was that "oh, the forums are just too much like tumblr." I was being a sarcastic motherfucker with the first sentence that seems to mystify you, because from the way it looks to me, rpg.net handled their situation with McFarland way more effectively than SA handled its own situation with Matt. Do you need me to break this down further? Can you do it without spamming question marks???????

Because it's pretty clear that people here are unhappy with how rpg.net handled the Matt McFarland fiasco, but nobody here ever really seemed to ever take any issue with how Lowtax handled Aatrek, so I'm really loving curious if someone can explain to stupid me how SA was able to handle their own sex offender mod in a way that kept everyone here happy, and how rpg.net might be able to apply those lessons. Thanks.

Bedlamdan bad faith defends companies keeping on sex offenders by going "but Aatrek" every single time.

Which sex offenders are still mods at rpg.net, my friend?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bedlamdan posted:

I mean that's not what happened at all, also the minute it came out that he was a sex offender he was demodded and perma banned

The weird shift right and everything getting lovely wasn't until way later that year

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bedlamdan posted:

I thought by all the ???????? you decided to just gently caress off, my dude. You seemed pretty done. Are you drunk or high or having a meltdown?

My dude, Lowtax's response to Aatrek was to basically mass-ban anyone who was upset at him over letting Aatrek be a mod,

It wasn't though

The worst it got was getting irritated at people who wanted background checks on mods

You're thinking of the shmorky thing, where he banned people who called him an unsafe father for letting shmorky be around his kids or a pedophile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Bedlamdan posted:

My dude, Lowtax's response to Aatrek was to basically mass-ban anyone who was upset at him over letting Aatrek be a mod, and then the lesson the dude took away from it was that "oh, the forums are just too much like tumblr." I was being a sarcastic motherfucker with the first sentence that seems to mystify you, because from the way it looks to me, rpg.net handled their situation with McFarland way more effectively than SA handled its own situation with Matt. Do you need me to break this down further? Can you do it without spamming question marks???????

Because it's pretty clear that people here are unhappy with how rpg.net handled the Matt McFarland fiasco, but nobody here ever really seemed to ever take any issue with how Lowtax handled Aatrek, so I'm really loving curious if someone can explain to stupid me how SA was able to handle their own sex offender mod in a way that kept everyone here happy, and how rpg.net might be able to apply those lessons. Thanks.

Which sex offenders are still mods at rpg.net, my friend?

HEY EVERYBODY IM GONNA MAKE THIS ABOUT AATREK FOR SOME REASON