Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

The first thing he needs to do is add standard victories for all the goddamn Aspects. We still don't have Knock, Winter, Edge, or Secret Histories standard victories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

The first thing he needs to do is add standard victories for all the goddamn Aspects. We still don't have Knock, Winter, Edge, or Secret Histories standard victories.

I'm not sure how, as the victories don't really tie to the aspect of your cult.

I mean right now we have elightment, power, sensation and change.

Winter would be like turning into like a undead lich but that seems covered in the other victories.

Knock would be like opening a doorway into the void? But why would you want to do that?

Edge is sort of covered in the power victory.

Secret histories is covered in the enlightenment victory.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Secret Histories is simple, your character achieves CHIM and gets exported to Morrowind.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Tormented posted:

Knock would be like opening a doorway into the void? But why would you want to do that?

Look at them, they come to this place when they know they are not pure. Tenno use the keys, but they are mere trespassers. Only I, Vor, know the true power of the Void. I was cut in half, destroyed, but through its Janus Key, the Void called to me. It brought me here and here I was reborn. We cannot blame these creatures, they are being led by a false prophet, an impostor who knows not the secrets of the Void. Behold the Tenno, come to scavenge and desecrate this sacred realm. My brothers, did I not tell of this day? Did I not prophesize this moment? Now, I will stop them. Now I am changed, reborn through the energy of the Janus Key. Forever bound to the Void. Let it be known, if the Tenno want true salvation, they will lay down their arms, and wait for the baptism of my Janus key. It is time. I will teach these trespassers the redemptive power of my Janus key. They will learn its simple truth. The Tenno are lost, and they will resist. But I, Vor, will cleanse this place of their impurity.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

something to do with Serpents

(though Serpents already involve themselves with the Change victories and the Apostle victories)

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

ZeroCount posted:

something to do with Serpents

Maybe just have a victory condition where instead of ascending yourself, you ascending the world by letting in something "else" and you become like a living god on a changed earth. Could be connected to Knock and Secret Histories cults.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Knock is the aspect of serpents. The Mother of Ants was baptised in the blood of the Seven-Coiled Serpent and now they heed her power.

I'd imagine a Knock victory to be passing through the Tricuspid Gate directly rather than using any sort of ritual. How that would play out gameplay-wise I have no idea though.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Real-talk, I understand why some things are never gonna be summonable. Any Knock-aspected critter or Name would be fucky with the ritual system for a start.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

To avoid having my best cultist in any summons removed from a expedition, I always have some pawn or hired help lead the expedition in the first slot.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Tormented posted:

I'm not sure how, as the victories don't really tie to the aspect of your cult.

I mean right now we have elightment, power, sensation and change.

Winter would be like turning into like a undead lich but that seems covered in the other victories.

Edge is sort of covered in the power victory.

Secret histories is covered in the enlightenment victory.

They plan on releasing more paid DLC. I doubt they would staple the 4 remaining Aspects into existing Temptations, because there would be little desire (for me, anyways) to replay existing content except with a different color.

My very specific guess based on wild assumption is that the upcoming legacies Priest (lost his faith) and Survivor (victim of another cult) are for Winter and Edge respectively, and that they share a Temptation to fight/kill one of the Hours.

The other Legacy they've teased is a "less than human" Familiar, which maybe goes with Knock.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Knock: Collect some sort of "wounds" in order to break through the Triscupid Gate directly. Probably also involves snakes.

Edge: Kill longs to attract the attention of the Colonel and go into his service.

WInter: Rack up a massive body count with the finale being a spectacularly detailed and beautiful death for a specific investigator.

Secret Histories: Visit the most remote reaches of the 5 histories and get a chance to voyage with the Vagabond and chronicle her travels.

While the 5 standard victories are no explicitly tied to a certain cult or Aspect, they basically are. Enlightenment is Lantern, Forge is Power, Sensation is Grail, and Change is Moth/Heart. I think they probably will add those extra victories eventually, I just really hoped they would be first.

I could even see Edge/Winter being the same scenario as Heart/Moth where you basically do the same thing (in this case, murder) but choose your path a little differently with each Aspect. Though I have to admit I was super disappointed when the Change victories came out and they were literally the exact same path, down to the specific expeditions and poo poo.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

I could even see Edge/Winter being the same scenario as Heart/Moth where you basically do the same thing (in this case, murder) but choose your path a little differently with each Aspect. Though I have to admit I was super disappointed when the Change victories came out and they were literally the exact same path, down to the specific expeditions and poo poo.

I agree, but the base game has the same issue: Sensation and Enlightenment are identical, and Power is identical to them except for a slight variation in the penultimate step.

At least with Change, they didn't pretend it was 2 distinct paths by giving it 2 different names/cards.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

We have one example of a Knock ascension in the game and it's the Gospel of Zacchariah, who claims that it was literally Jesus Christ through the holy wounds opened in his crucifixion.

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!
Where do I find high level Heart influences without having to continually betray hirelings to pass the spider gate? I’m so close to a Dancer victory but can’t seem to muster enough Heart to do the final two dances.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Slore Tactician posted:

Where do I find high level Heart influences without having to continually betray hirelings to pass the spider gate? I’m so close to a Dancer victory but can’t seem to muster enough Heart to do the final two dances.

Get buff and then Work at the club with your buffness as the purpose. Pick Grace as your final level-up, though. Then do dances with your extra health cards until they turn into scars. You can pass the final heart check without sacrificing a single hireling. (But really, what good is a plan that doesn't involve sacrificing hirelings?)

ZeroCount posted:

We have one example of a Knock ascension in the game and it's the Gospel of Zacchariah, who claims that it was literally Jesus Christ through the holy wounds opened in his crucifixion.

Arguably two.

The secret ending where you go to the moon is either some flavor of Lantern ending or some flavor of Knock. It very certainly is not Heart nor is it Moth, as the Meniscate has no affinity with those aspects.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Avasculous posted:

I agree, but the base game has the same issue: Sensation and Enlightenment are identical, and Power is identical to them except for a slight variation in the penultimate step.

At least with Change, they didn't pretend it was 2 distinct paths by giving it 2 different names/cards.

When you pick apart the mechanics it's all kind of the exact same poo poo. All the fun for me is the grind and getting that one new 2-sentence lore card as you get extra marks and finally ascend. I'd definitely sink another 60 hours into the game if there were 4 more ascensions.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

ZeroCount posted:

I don't wanna get crucified to ascend to godhood! Crucifixion HURTS.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Pretty sure you're loving yourself up everytime you go through the White Door anyway.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
A secret histories victory should be creating the sixth history, the one where everything is great for you forever and you actually understand like, any of what is going on.

(It is a hopeless struggle, you may get the first part but the second is just not possible.)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I think the white door is just tiring, otherwise you'd get sickness and injury etc

also the Frangiclave owns enormously; no more repairwork!!

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

I think the white door is just tiring, otherwise you'd get sickness and injury etc

also the Frangiclave owns enormously; no more repairwork!!

I love the Frangiclave! It makes grinding Secret Histories so much easier.

I just wish it wasn't gated into a place that you already needed Port Noon Anecdotes to get to

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

How the game has been being updated?
Is Alex delivering on the roadmap? http://weatherfactory.biz/cultist-simulator-2018-update-roadmap/

From what I know, he released the 'Christopher Build' on January, but searching on the news, there is only mention of thew new game+ and what it brings with that. But looking at the initial roadmap, the update was supposed to bring other features.
Apart from that well, obviously it was released later than it was planned. I guess the next update (MY LORD FRANKLIN BANCROFT’S BUILD ) will be released in three months or so?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Wait is Bancroft the guy who made all the summonable gribblies play party games and spent all his free time trying unsuccessfully to get his leg over with his mentor? That dude rules.

Like, I think in one of the other books that contains a high end secret like L8 or L10 it’s mentioned that he had it set to music and performed publicly with fireworks.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Maybe that's what Talking to summons to float them along is. You make them sit down and play Settlers of Catan.

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.

Lord Franklin Bancroft: Diaries, 1750-1790 posted:

Bancroft seems to have been a talented adept, but devoted his energies to frustratingly whimsical projects: arranging 'grape-fetching races' between Mansus-spirits, teaching Percussigants to juggle, and conjuring storms of imaginary blossoms for the rose-witch Ayrshire, who resolutely refused ever to couple with him. Bancroft spends twenty pages bemoaning this last.

The Mantra here recorded is a high and exacting magic which can be used to pledge one's spirit to the Watchman, beginning an ascent to the House. Bancroft boasts of his ability to recite it when in his cups. He also had it set to music for a perfomance with fireworks at Vauxhall Gardens.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Glagha posted:

Maybe that's what Talking to summons to float them along is. You make them sit down and play Settlers of Catan.

Not all of them can speak, but all have passed Go and collected £200.

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.
https://twitter.com/alexiskennedy/status/1095298119267479553

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

Knock: Collect some sort of "wounds" in order to break through the Triscupid Gate directly. Probably also involves snakes.

Edge: Kill longs to attract the attention of the Colonel and go into his service.

WInter: Rack up a massive body count with the finale being a spectacularly detailed and beautiful death for a specific investigator.

Secret Histories: Visit the most remote reaches of the 5 histories and get a chance to voyage with the Vagabond and chronicle her travels.

While the 5 standard victories are no explicitly tied to a certain cult or Aspect, they basically are. Enlightenment is Lantern, Forge is Power, Sensation is Grail, and Change is Moth/Heart. I think they probably will add those extra victories eventually, I just really hoped they would be first.

Well the victories are not set up to win as a aspect but as a desire. You can win an Enlightenment victory with any cult not just Lantern. Gameplay wise its easier to win Lantern with like a Grail Cult seeing how many fresh brains you need to collect. Its It would be nice to change how you get to your desire by having it changed by your cult aspect but at the moment as it is its pretty much all the same.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

This is a pretty interesting read for anyone curious about indie game development and shoe string budgets. The 100k copies sold is great news as I really like the work Alexis does and want it to be financially viable for him to keep doing it. The fact that there are 500k copies out there sold via Humble that he doesn't get paid for was surprising, but his reasoning that the marketing and reputational benefit of doing that seems to have panned out.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
So, I have a Forge+ game going that I don't want to abandon, but I also don't want to finish just right now. If I go into the save logs in my Weather Factory folder and copy it out I can just restart it whenever I want right? Because right now I want to try to do a heart dancer game again, my last one ended with like six dread on the board from all the craziness surrounding the dancer background .

Also, a second quick question - how soon do you start doing expeditions? I usually wait until I've cleaned out the bookstore and the auction house, but that just seems like a waste now that the level 1 expeditions are more or less failure proof assuming a mountain of cash is thrown in their direction. I really wish there was an easier website to use than Frangiclave for cataloguing what you get out of the expeditions.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I got the Content working at your job ending and now I'm doing a playthrough as the Investigator. How do I start a cult? I've arrested a whole bunch of rivals that keep showing up and am working on my stats and acquiring a bunch of weird poo poo but I have not seen a non-rival person nor anything else that would let me start a cult.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

The Shortest Path posted:

I got the Content working at your job ending and now I'm doing a playthrough as the Investigator. How do I start a cult? I've arrested a whole bunch of rivals that keep showing up and am working on my stats and acquiring a bunch of weird poo poo but I have not seen a non-rival person nor anything else that would let me start a cult.

Have you tried talking about lore already? Also, just be aware those 'rivals' you're arresting are potential cultists. Try to ease off on throwing them in jail unless they're actually loving up your stuff.

edit: at least I think so, I got Ysabeth as a rival once and decided not to continue that investigation too much further. At some point you'll have to give up being a detective to run your cult. I'm sure someone's figured out a way to balance the two - but I'm not that guy.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 13, 2019

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

You can just investigate tentative evidence but never damning evidence to string it along without ever actually arresting anyone.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ithle01 posted:

Have you tried talking about lore already? Also, just be aware those 'rivals' you're arresting are potential cultists. Try to ease off on throwing them in jail unless they're actually loving up your stuff.

edit: at least I think so, I got Ysabeth as a rival once and decided not to continue that investigation too much further. At some point you'll have to give up being a detective to run your cult. I'm sure someone's figured out a way to balance the two - but I'm not that guy.

I have no lore and can't find any. I'm not sure if I messed something up.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

The Shortest Path posted:

I have no lore and can't find any. I'm not sure if I messed something up.

What did you do with the sealed evidence packet when you got it because that's how I got my temptation if I remember right.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
You can also Explore with Health to find places like Morland's.

Or if you are actually doing Detective work, maybe your reward for turning someone in could become a promotion. That might be nice for you.

EDIT : I thiiink there's a way of getting a Tempation if you burn the sealed evidence (or at least getting a new Sealed Evidence) but I forget.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

bump off your rival and get a new evidence packet

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Tormented posted:

Well the victories are not set up to win as a aspect but as a desire. You can win an Enlightenment victory with any cult not just Lantern. Gameplay wise its easier to win Lantern with like a Grail Cult seeing how many fresh brains you need to collect. Its It would be nice to change how you get to your desire by having it changed by your cult aspect but at the moment as it is its pretty much all the same.

Right, but they are essentially Aspect desires, as each of the Hours you end up serving hold only a single Aspect (though Major Victories change this up). The only issue I could see is that there is no Aspect that is exclusively Edge.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I am incredibly bad at this game. How should I be proceeding in the midgame? I got rid of Alden and am a senior member in my job now, so plenty of money.

Just not sure how to do this cool cult poo poo like summoning creatures or what my route should be next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Jarvisi posted:

I am incredibly bad at this game. How should I be proceeding in the midgame? I got rid of Alden and am a senior member in my job now, so plenty of money.

Just not sure how to do this cool cult poo poo like summoning creatures or what my route should be next.

The midgame is about exploring the Mansus in your dreams, collecting secret histories to launch expeditions, to get books that give you lores that get you deeper into the Mansus. Once you've breached the Stag Door you can begin your ascension which culminates in a ritual demanding the most powerful resources in your aspect.