Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Bloodplay it again posted:

I disable it on my parents' TV every time I visit.

Do you mean that they re-enable it every time you leave? If so, you should just leave their TV alone and stop being an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Cojawfee posted:

Do you mean that they re-enable it every time you leave? If so, you should just leave their TV alone and stop being an rear end in a top hat.

Hah, no, they live in the boonies and occasionally when the power goes out it resets to default settings. They hate it but play the "what in the dickens, technology?!" card and just deal with it until I visit again. Once it reset into a weird demo mode and that was a pain in the rear end to disable.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I have an LG B8 which is mostly the same as the c8 minus a slower processor.

Playing with it again there was no difference in free to air tv with it on or off, minus a few small artefacts at high speed motion.

Playing a game it didn't make much difference at all unless the frames dropped below 30 or action was fast. Tomb raider dropped below 30 frames in some of the cut scenes. Changing to favor framerate made both modes look fine.

Playing a film (UHD rip of blade runner 2049, 40gb HEVC @23.9fps or whatever it is) looked stuttery as gently caress without it and a bit uncanny valley/surreal with it but ultimately was easier to watch than with it off. It still disables it automatically if motion is too fast to accurately interpolate.

Black frame insertion is off and yes that makes things look very bad (more like a film in theatres so more normal but the flickering is loving distracting)

Guess we can all move along now that we have solved the mystery of peoples preferences for motion smoothing?

I turn that poo poo off on my dads samsung LED tv too, it looks like rear end on any other tv, but on mine it looks fine.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Laserface posted:

yeah im not too worried about idiots on the internet telling me how i should enjoy my TV but thanks for telling me I am enjoying things wrong.

how many fullscreen DVDs did you buy in the 2000s

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Guys....

Genesis does what Nintendon't

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I can't believe someone in this thread would go against Maverick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J0Dan0WaZk

enigmahfc posted:

Guys....

Genesis does what Nintendon't

Make their back catalog reasonably accessible?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

univbee posted:

I can't believe someone in this thread would go against Maverick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J0Dan0WaZk

Make their back catalog reasonably accessible?

in what universe does Maverick make full-bird Captain

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

The best one.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm imagining Maverick having to go to Nuke Power School so he can CO a carrier, being all "THAT'S RIGHT I'M DANGEROUS" and Naval Reactors handing him retirement papers

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

Jeez saying full bird makes even less sense with navy ranks. At least with the other branches it's Lt. Colonel and then Colonel. The Navy is just commander and then captain, they aren't even related.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Jeez saying full bird makes even less sense with navy ranks. At least with the other branches it's Lt. Colonel and then Colonel. The Navy is just commander and then captain, they aren't even related.

The captain of a smaller vessel such as a submarine often doesn't actually hold the rank of Captain, so differentiation still has a use

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Yeah and in DS9 Sisko was a Commander even though he was in command of Terok Nor. He didn't get promoted to full bird captain until later when he started growing a beard.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

TheScott2K posted:

I'm imagining Maverick having to go to Nuke Power School so he can CO a carrier, being all "THAT'S RIGHT I'M DANGEROUS" and Naval Reactors handing him retirement papers

“If your carrier was above the Russian sub, then how did you see it?”

“Because... I was inverted”

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

“If your carrier was above the Russian sub, then how did you see it?”

“Because... I was inverted”

"Let's kick the tires and light the fires!"

"Sir, you need to sign this form so we can request permission to set sail."

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
xbox, on

mem
Sep 1, 2005
I don't care how people watch movies, but if you play games for the love of god don't use motion smoothing post-processing effects. It will greatly increase input lag (20ms to 100ms on my particular TV).

I have an LG C8 in the living room, looks perfectly fine playing 4k 30fps PS4 games. Plays absolutely awful and looks worse if you turn on trumotion. Samsung NU8000 (LED) in the bedroom with a Xbox one x, same story as the oled.

I got rid of my PC last year, and a 144hz 2k gsync monitor, and while I can tell the difference between 30, 60, and 144 fps it does not bother me in the least playing 30 fps 4k games on the TVs.

Personally, I think motion interpolation looks poo poo on movies too.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
i use it when i play smash bros and i don’t notice anything

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Shadow of the tomb raider loving owns! I think it’s some of the best high fidelity graphics and color I’ve seen on the one X so far. The music is fantastic too.

But boy, she is loving self obsessed as hell in this one. I’m 20 minutes in and past the sort of intro missions and she’s not possible to relate to at all like in the last ones. In the last ones at least she was weak and humble first, self obsessed last. In this one even Jonah can’t stand her now, and she puts herself and her supernatural quest poo poo ahead of everything and everyone else. In the past games she never once given into Jonah’s advances and I don’t think she’ll ever now. It’s a huge letdown.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Blind Rasputin posted:

Shadow of the tomb raider loving owns! I think it’s some of the best high fidelity graphics and color I’ve seen on the one X so far. The music is fantastic too.

But boy, she is loving self obsessed as hell in this one. I’m 20 minutes in and past the sort of intro missions and she’s not possible to relate to at all like in the last ones. In the last ones at least she was weak and humble first, self obsessed last. In this one even Jonah can’t stand her now, and she puts herself and her supernatural quest poo poo ahead of everything and everyone else. In the past games she never once given into Jonah’s advances and I don’t think she’ll ever now. It’s a huge letdown.
That's how she was by the original games, though. Had to happen eventually.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The plot is supposed to be her getting over her self obsession and admitting she cares about other people beyond how they can help her but its not super well executed. Good thing its a metroidvania and thus breaks my brain into 100% it even though its the biggest abuser of "squeeze through two walls slowly" this console generation.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I am so used to the bare bones starts of the other two games, when the firefight at the end of the tutorial starts I was downing people with just the bow and arrow, thinking it was the only weapon I had, and having a hell of a time when suddenly a tutorial prompt pops up suggesting I “switch weapons.” I was like wtf she’s carrying a shotgun and a machine gun?? Exactly where on her I had no idea she’s literally in just a tank top. It was very jarring.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Blind Rasputin posted:

I am so used to the bare bones starts of the other two games, when the firefight at the end of the tutorial starts I was downing people with just the bow and arrow, thinking it was the only weapon I had, and having a hell of a time when suddenly a tutorial prompt pops up suggesting I “switch weapons.” I was like wtf she’s carrying a shotgun and a machine gun?? Exactly where on her I had no idea she’s literally in just a tank top. It was very jarring.

I can count on one hand the number of games I've played that realistically depict proper weapon holsters on a character.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I swear though last game her character model would have the rifle and shotgun hanging around her. Meh, it’s whatever. Most of my posts is semi-trolling. Game is extremely amazing for being on game pass.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Blind Rasputin posted:

I swear though last game her character model would have the rifle and shotgun hanging around her. Meh, it’s whatever. Most of my posts is semi-trolling. Game is extremely amazing for being on game pass.

Theres a lot about shadow that feels like it was pulled back/ scaled back from rise. Probably change of dev, square realizing the series was not gonna be as big as they thought, rise being a bloatedfest, etc

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
This is the third day in a row that my home xbox signs me out randomly. :argh: Makes playing Tomb Raider impossible.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

This is the third day in a row that my home xbox signs me out randomly. :argh: Makes playing Tomb Raider impossible.

Do a power cycle i had the same bug all the time and that helped

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Theres a lot about shadow that feels like it was pulled back/ scaled back from rise. Probably change of dev, square realizing the series was not gonna be as big as they thought, rise being a bloatedfest, etc

I think its a significantly better game than rise, but its still a bit of mess all over. Story is just way too messy, feels like it was intended for a game twice as long given how bad its pacing is.

My favorite bit of thats not right is that there are only 8 sidequests in the game but the count tracker says there are 11 in the second hub area alone.

Edit: Wait no its that there are three languages with three tiers of mastery for each but nothing in the game requires the third tier of mastery so why does it exist. There isnt even an achievement for it.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Feb 11, 2019

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Edit: whoops

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Xbox Live has been having issues lately. I found switching from Wifi to my phone's 4G fixed the sign out issue.

I just wish the Xbox would remember Wifi passwords...

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

I just purchased an xbox one x at an ok deal. It's my first console in a decent amount of time. Glad to hear game pass is good - I think I might just grab it for the Tomb Raider game because I played the other two on PC. Other game recommendations are welcome!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

I just purchased an xbox one x at an ok deal. It's my first console in a decent amount of time. Glad to hear game pass is good - I think I might just grab it for the Tomb Raider game because I played the other two on PC. Other game recommendations are welcome!

Go into gamepass and download literally everything that sounds good. Later this week Crackdown 3 drops on Gamepass.

As for games you have to spend money on, be aware all original xbox titles run in 1080p on the bone often with framerate improvements too.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Do games frequently leave the catalog? It just seems like too good of a deal.
I was also pleasantly surprised that I was able to remember my gamertag login from the two games I had on GFWL.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

Do games frequently leave the catalog? It just seems like too good of a deal.
I was also pleasantly surprised that I was able to remember my gamertag login from the two games I had on GFWL.

First party microsoft games dont leave, so sea of thieves is there forever, and all new first party games launch on gamepass, like Crackdown 3. This includes Forza Horizon which if you like racing games you should play right goddamn now.

Everything else is available for a set amount of time, typically 6 months to a year. Bethesda put Falliout 4 on it for one month but thats an outlier. If you want to know whats leaving at the end of the month, there is a whole section just for that.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 12, 2019

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Games do leave from time to time, but so far more show up than leave.

Games I’d recommend, in no paticular order:
Forza
Doom
Life is strange (all of them)
Ori and the blind forest (best Metroidvania I’ve played in a long time)
Tomb Raider
Wolfenstein
Mutant year zero
Graveyard keeper

Lots of older stuff too, like Mass effect and KOTOR.

There’s just so much good in there. I never mind waiting for games and I’m a little behind on what is the current best anyway, so Gamepass is tits.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Wolfenstein is bad but Doom is good

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Apex Legends is good and free (but you need to buy xbox live gold to play online games)

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Wolfenstein is bad but Doom is good

Correction: The New Order is good and The New Colossus is the not up to par sequel.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Azubah posted:

Correction: The New Order is good and The New Colossus is the not up to par sequel.

The New Colossus exposes The New Order

Barudak
May 7, 2007

All the new Wolfensteins are bad it just took Doom 2016 for people to realize this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Barudak posted:

All the new Wolfensteins are bad it just took Doom 2016 for people to realize this

Good cutscenes, but cutscenes aren't games, so