Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Greta Van Fleet won Best Rock Album at the Grammys aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Know a bunch of people who love these dudes. I can't get into em, they sound like they ripped off Wolfmother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Wolfmother s/t is one of the best rock albums, it’s got the right degree of insanity and chemistry to make it unique. They broke up after it blew up, and all the remaining guitarists follow ups were overproduced and trying to recreate the magic.

Greta is admirable simply because the vocalist somehow sounds like Robert Plant and so him and his buddies are living the dream grifting record labels playing zeppelin jams. Sure as hell beats working a dead end job or in a cubicle farm in your early 20’s.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Doomy posted:

Greta is admirable simply because the vocalist somehow sounds like Robert Plant and so him and his buddies are living the dream grifting record labels playing zeppelin jams. Sure as hell beats working a dead end job or in a cubicle farm in your early 20’s.

I think he really sounds like Geddy Lee more than anything

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

i listened to greta von fleet on recommendation from a friend and it sounded to me like a zeppelin cover band started slipping in originals hoping to pass them off as deep cuts and eventually made enough for an album. it's hilarious (and not unexpected) that the grammys fell for it, but i can't hold it against the band because if i knew as a 14-year-old that was a legitimate career option, my life would have gone in a very different direction

that said, i haven't listened since because as soon as i start i just want to listen to zeppelin instead, which is probably more about me getting old because i didn't have that problem as much with wolfmother and black sabbath

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Greta Van Fleet won Best Rock Album at the Grammys aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

good for them that lends a lot of credibility to the rolling stone subscribers who purchase their music

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

https://twitter.com/reverbdotcom/status/1094728971575545857

Oh mother fucker, I only got 50%. I really don't know my pedals as well as I thought :shepface:

Tube Stabber definitely sounds like a real DOD pedal.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Stupid music poo poo: I’m highly considering buying a Strymon Volante

Doooooo it and tell me how good it is.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Doomy posted:

Wolfmother s/t is one of the best rock albums, it’s got the right degree of insanity and chemistry to make it unique. They broke up after it blew up, and all the remaining guitarists follow ups were overproduced and trying to recreate the magic.

Cosmic Egg is an album I listen to quite a bit. But when I try GVF, I just go back to Wolfmother. There just isn't any "umph" to their music. Their hooks just don't give me the feels.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Wolfmother get poo poo on a lot, but their original lineup was a killer live band. I'm really glad I caught them on the tour for their self titled album.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I feel kinda bad for the Greta kids because there can't be that many bands who have any use for The Guy Who Sounds Like Robert Plant.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Lmao I just looked up who they went against and I'm having a hard time believing From the Fires wasn't the right choice.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hey, good for them! :)

Can't say that I care about their music, though. If I want to hear a dude trying to ape Robert Plant to great effect while doing their own thing, I just listen to Soundgarden.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
In unrelated news, I miss Chris Cornell. :cry:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wark Say posted:

In unrelated news, I miss Chris Cornell. :cry:
Same :smith::hf::smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNv_BbkHkJg

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Juaguocio posted:

Doooooo it and tell me how good it is.

I’ve been looking at my gear and figuring out what to toss up on reverb :negative:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Goddamn, all the memories. Weird storytelling time incoming, which I guess kinda qualifies for Stupid Music poo poo?

I remember watching a full Soundgarden show with my best friend back in elementary school in like mid 1992, since his older brothers were both super big in all the 90's bands from Grunge, to metal, to alternative and the only times they wouldn't constantly change the channels was when a music video channel like MTV or The Box (I think? I remember it was either that or MTV that occasionally did cool poo poo like that; maybe I'm wrong) did full-on concert broadcasts. After I taught him how to sorta play the guitar well enough to play the basic chords a little under a year-and-a-half afterwards, he often helped me with busking. We sorta formed our first band to play mostly goofy Nirvana, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins and Soundgarden covers because thanks to mostly his older sister, we often knew the songs forwards and backwards. :cheeky:

For the longest time, I couldn't remember the exact show, but the fact that Cornell was often in a number of states of shirtlessness, I thought it was one of the European festival ones. Fast-forwards 10 years later, and the bass player of my first "real" band only listened to metal (early At the Gates, early In Flames and early Opeth were as "light" as he went), but one day in late 2002, while in California, a friend of mine in Los Feliz had all these shows on VHS and Beta, and he had three from Soundgarden all in one VHS, including the one you just shared.

I remembered that we ended up watching most of the Pinkpop one (the one which ends with Chris sorta-crucifying his Les Paul Custom Silver-turned-greenburst at the end of "Jesus Christ Pose"), but we watched a good chunk of the other shows, which is when I finally remembered that it was the Washington show you just shared that I had watched some 26 years ago.

So yes, thanks for that trip down memory lane. :allears:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
kingdom come were by far the best zeppelin ripoff band

they still sucked complete rear end, but they put a little more effort into it

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
every Zeppelin knock off misses the fact that they had a funk rhythm section

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

The Muppets On PCP posted:

kingdom come were by far the best zeppelin ripoff band

they still sucked complete rear end, but they put a little more effort into it

my favourite part about kingdom come is when their singer tried to claim he'd never heard of led zeppelin

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

CheesyDog posted:

every Zeppelin knock off misses the fact that they had a funk rhythm section

same with sabbath knockoffs and jazz

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Jason Sextro posted:

my favourite part about kingdom come is when their singer tried to claim he'd never heard of led zeppelin

The guitar player also claimed Jimmy Page was overrated and he was mostly into Hendrix.

I don't mind GVF for what they are--a watered-down Zep retread for when you've worn those Zep LPs thin--but every time I hear them all I can think is they're really going to regret writing all these songs at the top of their singer's range in his early twenties. These are the songs they're going to have to reliably reproduce live their entire career and unless they drop them in pitch later on it's 100% going to be a problem.

For reference, watch any recent video of Tesla doing material from their debut album and cringe along anytime Jeff Keith goes high on "Modern Day Cowboy". loving ouch.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I was there for the whole Kingdom Come debacle. This was before the internet, so at first we liked them for sounding like Led Zeppelin. But then we understood we had to hate them for sounding like Led Zeppelin. It was one of those "extremely online" moments before any of us were online.

I just felt bad for them as they got flamed into obscurity and were run right back out of the music biz. As an aspiring music-maker I felt their pain.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0aSDFA0Vk0

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
If anything, Jimmy Page is underrated. Yeah, he was sloppy live, but those tones, those overdubbed harmonies...

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Gary Moore's "Still Got The Blues" album changed my life and I mean that in the best way. I give him a pass for co-opting blues music because he opened my eyes and ears, and I love playing and singing the tunes on that record.
Wow! I hadn't heard this before. I think it owns.

There was a record that came out when I was in a blues band. We called ourselves "The Blues Merchants." The album was a collection of blues-rock tunes sung by Paul Rogers, the lead singer of Free and Bad Company. My lead singer/keyboardist gave me a copy of it. There was this incredibly cool version of a Muddy Waters song called "She Moves Me" on there and Gary Moore played the guitar on it.

Here is a live recording (warts and all) from a gig I played back in October 1995 where we covered this song. I went nuts with it but I can't say it's very nuanced or subtle.

https://soundcloud.com/dr-faustus777/she-moves-me

I hope you enjoy it.

That is the JEM77FP into a Peavey Classic 50 and a Peavey Blues Classic multi-amp rig.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 11, 2019

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

gently caress Your Website posted:

For reference, watch any recent video of Tesla

Haha hell no

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003

Snowy posted:

Haha hell no

In all fairness they are now only the second most embarrassing thing that comes to mind when you hear “Tesla”, but yeah this is the right decision

Edit: Arguably, but a pretty tasteless opinion to proffer about someone when you're building your career on their bleached bones
vvvvvvvv

Fuck Your Website fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 12, 2019

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The guitar player also claimed Jimmy Page was overrated

Pretty true though.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Juaguocio posted:

Wolfmother get poo poo on a lot, but their original lineup was a killer live band. I'm really glad I caught them on the tour for their self titled album.

Saw em on this tour and it was one of the best live shows I’ve seen, hands down. It was definitely something special.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Faustus posted:

I was there for the whole Kingdom Come debacle. This was before the internet, so at first we liked them for sounding like Led Zeppelin. But then we understood we had to hate them for sounding like Led Zeppelin. It was one of those "extremely online" moments before any of us were online.

I just felt bad for them as they got flamed into obscurity and were run right back out of the music biz. As an aspiring music-maker I felt their pain.

yet david coverversion was allowed to roam free unharmed :v:

the thing kingdom come got right was acknowledging the then present day and thus were skeezy hair farmers on top of sounding like led zep, instead of trying to construct a revisionist nostalgia

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Edit: Arguably, but a pretty tasteless opinion to proffer about someone when you're building your career on their bleached bones
Jesus you made me look if Jimmy Page had died.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Wark Say posted:

Ask and ye' shall receive. A HellGig thread!

Oh hell yeah!!! Nice job. 👍.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003

Siivola posted:

Jesus you made me look if Jimmy Page had died.

He's only dead creatively.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Tony Iommi did more with vastly less. Jimmy was a fantastic producer, though.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Nerds always try to break down who is quantifiably, like measurably, a better artist. lol

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 12, 2019

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wark Say posted:

Tony Iommi did more with vastly less. Jimmy was a fantastic producer, though.

Yea i just called you a nerd. Let's fight at the bike racks. 3 oclock.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Eh, I am a giant nerd. We cool, Bhabhi. ;)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wark Say posted:

Eh, I am a giant nerd. We cool, Bhabhi. ;)

:wink:

So I went to look at these drummer plugins like EZd and SD3 because I know how useful they are but I didn't know much about them. SD3 is 250 loving gigs for its library.

WTF!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I decided in the last week that I’m done trying to make myself like drum software and am going to get an analog drum machine for my percussion needs :cool:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

I decided in the last week that I’m done trying to make myself like drum software and am going to get an analog drum machine for my percussion needs :cool:

I just want to write cavemen beats that sound somewhat like "real" drums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I just want to write cavemen beats that sound somewhat like "real" drums.

Get SD for sure as long as you’re not averse to having a shitload of options to go through.