Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

QuarkJets posted:

why bother though, if some goober wants to use the password system to cheat I say let them

i remember back when lots of popular games had cheat codes baked right into the game, starcraft, doom, etc., it was awesome being able to say "gently caress this annoying level" and just turn on god mode

Was funny when cheat codes broke the scripting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

StandardVC10 posted:

JRPGs peaked with Chrono Trigger.

It's not as though every one made since has been bad exactly it's just that they're never going to top it no matter how hard they try

Terranigma is better than Chrono Trigger.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Persona 5 and FFXV both innovate in some cool ways, but not always successfully.

Here’s an unpopular for you: Persona 5 is hard as hell.

TalkingBasically
Aug 19, 2018
There is just something bad at the beginning of half-life

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

TalkingBasically posted:

There is just something bad at the beginning of half-life

for some reason in the mid-late 90's game developers were obsessed with putting long sequences of either unskippable fmvs or long, boring in-game sequences where you do nothing at the beginning of games. it wasn't until nearly 2010 that it occurred to game developers that people might be interested in actually playing the game they purchased within thirty minutes of hitting new game or so, or at least having the option to skip all the anime that happens before that point.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Yeah but they need to keep you hooked for at least 2 hours so you can't refund it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Apparently the Half-Life intro was pretty revolutionary for the time mostly since it DIDN'T immediately throw you into explosionland but actually started out introducing the player to things like non-hostile NPCs and the idea of the protagonist as a character with a name, a job and coworkers. Not to mention a lot of it was showing off effects and stuff, I'm sure.

Though you never did see stuff like the big cargo shifting robot in gameplay, iirc.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Though you never did see stuff like the big cargo shifting robot in gameplay, iirc.

You do in Opposing Force!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The fun of Freeman's Mind is Freeman bitching about how Black Mesa's architecture doesn't make the slightest amount of sense, which probably wouldn't even be noticeable if not for how some parts of the game try to establish it as a workplace and functional facility.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

the problem isn't in preventing cheaters, the problem is the assholes. people who won't normally cheat but because they can crack your password, they'll do it and then complain that the game was too easy because you didn't encrypt your progress hard enough. and that word of mouth can gently caress you up.

Was that ever actually a problem? Like were people really using a Game Genie and then complaining that a game is way too easy when you turn on God mode and warp to the last boss?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

the problem isn't in preventing cheaters, the problem is the assholes. people who won't normally cheat but because they can crack your password, they'll do it and then complain that the game was too easy because you didn't encrypt your progress hard enough. and that word of mouth can gently caress you up.

What no it can't.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cheat codes kinda traditionally were often used for rentals or games you're just not very good at, so you can see all of the content without having to go through all the time and effort. Especially how a lot of older games had unfair difficulty spikes or unintuitive roadblocks that made a lot of players' progress halt in the age before easily accessible online guides. (remember when the default message for Sega's help line was how to get past the barrel in Carnival Night Zone?)

Nowadays, most AAA games are terrified that you'll miss a moment of them and handhold you all the way to the credits. Apparently achievement statistics got publishers terrified realising how many players only played the beginning of a game.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

why on earth would a password be better than a save that automatically loads for you, why would you want to type in a series of numbers and letters to load your game?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Apparently the Half-Life intro was pretty revolutionary for the time mostly since it DIDN'T immediately throw you into explosionland but actually started out introducing the player to things like non-hostile NPCs and the idea of the protagonist as a character with a name, a job and coworkers. Not to mention a lot of it was showing off effects and stuff, I'm sure.

Shooters and most games in this time frame were macho, juvenile, and dorky, mostly inspired by Doom and Army of Darkness. The games all needed to have three things:

1) Demons from hell 'n poo poo OR terrorists

2) Keys, gotta have mazes with keys

3) I dunno, maybe like you can piss on an old grandma and kill hookers with a shovel? Kids seem to like that and the programmers think it's funny

Interactive 3D narrative with relatively high concept story material took ambition, time, money, and better PC hardware. So this game that told its own unique story, had a conceivably real setting, and was designed to be engaging and dramatic with real set pieces was pretty new.

Half-Life set a new bar, especially for other designers. Doom clones were suddenly very passe.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

why on earth would a password be better than a save that automatically loads for you, why would you want to type in a series of numbers and letters to load your game?

Yeah I refuse to believe that anyone would actually prefer passwords. Even in the "well you can share your progress with random people!" case, people upload save games for all sorts of games

Yeah yeah you can't exactly upload your PS2 memory card to the internet very easily but gently caress off, no one cares about your legacy system

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Feb 12, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Shooters and most games in this time frame were macho, juvenile, and dorky, mostly inspired by Doom and Army of Darkness. The games all needed to have three things:

1) Demons from hell 'n poo poo OR terrorists

2) Keys, gotta have mazes with keys

3) I dunno, maybe like you can piss on an old grandma and kill hookers with a shovel? Kids seem to like that and the programmers think it's funny

Interactive 3D narrative with relatively high concept story material took ambition, time, money, and better PC hardware. So this game that told its own unique story, had a conceivably real setting, and was designed to be engaging and dramatic with real set pieces was pretty new.

Half-Life set a new bar, especially for other designers. Doom clones were suddenly very passe.

Basically, yeah. 'It was revolutionary at the time' is the explanation for a lot of video game things that aged poorly, like levels that basically exist to show off new special effects the engine can do.

Technically Half-Life has basically the same plot as Doom and Quake, where a teleportation experiment leads to disaster and an incursion of interdimensional invaders. I'm pretty sure this was intentional.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

for some reason in the mid-late 90's game developers were obsessed with putting long sequences of either unskippable fmvs or long, boring in-game sequences where you do nothing at the beginning of games. it wasn't until nearly 2010 that it occurred to game developers that people might be interested in actually playing the game they purchased within thirty minutes of hitting new game or so, or at least having the option to skip all the anime that happens before that point.

this is one of the reasons NES games are superior. you might get a few still images or maybe a short text crawl but for the most part you are killing foot clan the second you press the "start" button.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Feb 12, 2019

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Basically, yeah. 'It was revolutionary at the time' is the explanation for a lot of video game things that aged poorly, like levels that basically exist to show off new special effects the engine can do.

I will not hear you talk poo poo about that Mode-7 hallway in Super Castlevania.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

pooch516 posted:

I will not hear you talk poo poo about that Mode-7 hallway in Super Castlevania.

Aw gently caress, I played so much of that game. Which one?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Doom was better than half-life

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Though the train ride at the beginning of Half-Life 1 was mind blowing at the time. I had seen nothing like it before. It was atmospheric and beautiful and the environments were cool as gently caress and it did a great job of showing just how huge this Black Mesa complex was

Nowadays of course, it's probably boring as hell

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A lot of things in video games, especially older ones, are basically built around preparing the player for the intended tone and gameplay style of the game, especially in older and more hidebound genres. Undertale comes to mind as specifically made to gently caress with the expectations and experience of someone used to that kind of game.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Undertale comes to mind as specifically made to gently caress

But enough about that games weird fanbase

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Lambert posted:

You do in Opposing Force!

This may or may not count as an UVGO, but I always preferred Opposing Force to the main game and Blue Shift (not that either of those weren’t also great!) The weapons seemed really cool by comparison, especially the magnum or whatever with a laser sight. Plus those enemy assassins!

gently caress, I really want to play it now, but I’ve long since lost the discs I think and I’m not sure it would work on my aging mac anyway.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Pokemon games are always way less fun than you imagine them to be. Too many cool Pokemon appear or evolve too late in the game and are completely unviable for regular gameplay. Many Pokemon also don't learn interesting moves or have them gated behind breeding or special tutors. Who the gently caress even breeds Pokemon?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

burial posted:

This may or may not count as an UVGO, but I always preferred Opposing Force to the main game and Blue Shift (not that either of those weren’t also great!) The weapons seemed really cool by comparison, especially the magnum or whatever with a laser sight. Plus those enemy assassins!

gently caress, I really want to play it now, but I’ve long since lost the discs I think and I’m not sure it would work on my aging mac anyway.

I think the original HL games/expansions routinely go on sale for <$1 on Steam just fyi

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

getting rid of grenades in tf2 sucked and grenade spam was fun, cool, and good. that said, i loving loved tf2 even though i stopped playing around the update where the demoman got a sword.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Vegetable posted:

The Pokemon games are always way less fun than you imagine them to be. Too many cool Pokemon appear or evolve too late in the game and are completely unviable for regular gameplay. Many Pokemon also don't learn interesting moves or have them gated behind breeding or special tutors. Who the gently caress even breeds Pokemon?

Pokemon is a game for children, who have more free time than responsibilities.

though if you are into the concept and want a more hardcore experiance I suggest Siralim. it's like Pokemon, but about 10x more complicated.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Vegetable posted:

I noticed this the last time I played one of them (one of the GBA ones), but I jumped into Ultra Moon and it seems a lot better so far. Pokemon I'm training seem to evolve a little earlier, I haven't really caught anything that was totally useless in single-player, and the learned moves seem a lot more diverse (I've gotten like, an Electric move learned on a Water/Psychic, for example).

Bullshit trade-only evolutions still exist, though. gently caress you, Abra that I caught as like my 3rd guy.

Rutibex posted:

Pokemon is a game for children, who have more free time than responsibilities.

though if you are into the concept and want a more hardcore experiance I suggest Siralim. it's like Pokemon, but about 10x more complicated.

I haven't gotten too deep into it, but isn't the actual stat system for Pokemon incredibly deep these days?

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Pokemon was best when it was in black and white and had 150 of the fucks and its all downhill since

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CrRoMa posted:

Pokemon was best when it was in black and white and had 150 of the fucks and its all downhill since

this is half right. pokemon gold is actually the best pokemon game

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Probably popular opinions:

Tetris Effect is every bit as good as the hype.

System Shock 2 is really really good and Portal 2 aped a lot of the story.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

bradzilla posted:

Probably popular opinions:

Tetris Effect is every bit as good as the hype.

System Shock 2 is really really good and Portal 2 aped a lot of the story.

System Shock 2 is above the threshold of what I consider modern Doom clones. System Shock is definitely archaic.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The Half Life intro sequence was well done though, it introduced concepts and areas that would later appear and had a very good buildup of tension. HL2 went overboard and made it boring, but that game sucks as we all can probably agree.

Doom I can appreciate but somehow never got into, I was probably the wrong age when it came out. Duke Nukem 3D was my game and Doom always just seemed like a more primitive version of that.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Duke had things that felt great compared to Doom, the jetpacks, the sense of humour, the pipe-bombs, kicking people, but it just didn't have the level design that made Doom so compelling

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I think the original HL games/expansions routinely go on sale for <$1 on Steam just fyi

I’ll keep an eye out! Today, or at least right now, you have been a good and nice person.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

burial posted:

I’ll keep an eye out! Today, or at least right now, you have been a good and nice person.

despite my trash posting I generally try to be!

https://isthereanydeal.com/game/halflifecomplete/info/ this site owns, it tracks historical pricing and sales across multiple platforms and I think you can set alerts too

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CrRoMa posted:

Duke had things that felt great compared to Doom, the jetpacks, the sense of humour, the pipe-bombs, kicking people, but it just didn't have the level design that made Doom so compelling

I remember buying a CD with like 1500 duke nukem levels on it. I'm sure some of them were good (not the ones I tried though!)

naeka
Sep 1, 2008

I remember being in my cousin's dingy poorly lit bedroom late one evening when we played half life for the first time right when it came out and being totally blown away by the whole train sequence. The other fun mind blowing ones at the time i remember were Thief and AVP which i can't think of ever having a reaction like i did with those 3 games to any fps since except maybe AVP 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot of things in video games, especially older ones, are basically built around preparing the player for the intended tone and gameplay style of the game, especially in older and more hidebound genres. Undertale comes to mind as specifically made to gently caress with the expectations and experience of someone used to that kind of game.

my expectation was a game that doesn't crash after every boss so it certainly hosed with mine!