Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

IRQ posted:

This but Dogma.

17 might be the perfect age for that movie. I suspect it doesn't hold up!

Dogma, Donnie Darko, and Saved! are pretty much the epitome of "I'm 17 and these are my favorite films" for people who are now 30somethings

Pretty sure Saved! stands up the best but I haven't gone back to check on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah but then someone decides hiring Smith for a studio job is a good idea but then it comes out that he doesn't know how to use different lenses.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

Yeah but then someone decides hiring Smith for a studio job is a good idea but then it comes out that he doesn't know how to use different lenses.

...showing my ignorance here I'm sure but doesn't the director tell the cinematographer what they want the shot to look like and the cinematographer is the one who determines which lens to use?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't know the specifics, that was just the thing I heard. Smith has publicly trashed Willis over Cop Out.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

asecondduck posted:

...showing my ignorance here I'm sure but doesn't the director tell the cinematographer what they want the shot to look like and the cinematographer is the one who determines which lens to use?

I think that was the gist of it, it was his first big studio movie and he didn't get to work with his normal DP who knew Kevin's shorthand for "make this a wide, make this a zoomed in shot" that they developed since they were teenagers. He absolutely does not have the chiseled in focal length/lens knowledge a film school grad would because he never really went that route, he just started making movies.

It's kind of endearing from my perspective. I think it's really easy to criticize his lack of lens savvy, something anybody can learn in a 10 minute youtube video. While completely ignoring the fact that it's a monumental achievement to shoot and finish ANY feature length film, never mind actually sell it, and 5+ more after that, while still saying "ehhh, i'll get to that tutorial on how to work my camera after i finish the next one..."

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

asecondduck posted:

Dogma, Donnie Darko, and Saved! are pretty much the epitome of "I'm 17 and these are my favorite films" for people who are now 30somethings

I've never seen Saved, and I saw Donnie Darko in my early 20's so I'm that weirdo who's meh about them

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Smith used a hand gesture to indicate the size of the lens he wanted and Willis got angry he didn’t know the names for them

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Doesn’t Willis have a reputation for being a tremendous douchebag and really hard to work with?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Doesn’t Willis have a reputation for being a tremendous douchebag and really hard to work with?

I never heard this until Cop Out.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Bruce Willis hasn't really tried in a starring role since at least Looper.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Looper is the exception. I'd say Unbreakable was the end of trying being a regular thing for him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's not like he was ever going to top the Last Boyscout anyways.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Stallone has mentioned that Bruce was a dick during Expendables.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

asecondduck posted:

I just seen Saved! for the first time a few weeks ago (it is on Prime). I liked it, and I could see how someone in their late teens or early 20's would love it. I was surprised to see Susan Sarandon's daughter in it (I think I've only seen her in Californication before watching that), and I think Jena Malone is great in about everything she does.

Since I was 17 in the late 80's, it was movies like The River's Edge and Heathers that were my favorite films, and I think they still hold up. I did get lost in my early to mid 20's when I thought Gregg Araki's movies like Doom Generation were cool. I am sure those movies don't hold up at all. Of course you can't mention favorite films for teenagers in the 90's without mentioned Kids.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 12, 2019

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
:lol: if you saw The Sixth Sense and thought that was “trying.”

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

:lol: if you saw The Sixth Sense and thought that was “trying.”

I never finished that movie but he just seemed dead the whole time.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

zoux posted:

I never finished that movie but he just seemed dead the whole time.

:downsrim:

this is a good joke, brant

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The latest in “Chris Pratt is a loving loser”:

https://news.avclub.com/chris-pratt-responds-to-ellen-pages-criticism-of-infam-1832558414

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I should note that I still do love Donnie Darko, but I don't identify with it nearly as much as I did as a teen.

It's a very :mood: film and both Gyllenhaals are fantastic in it. Actually, the entire cast is really good in it.

The Directors Cut is a bunch of horseshit though, I know Kelly really really wanted the INXS song in the film but The Killing Moon is much more thematically appropriate. And then every single change he made was for the worse.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Watching Altered Carbon and enjoying it a lot, but I do find it amusing that despite looking like they spent literally all the money on it it still features a bunch of the regular Vancouver sci-fi crew. I'm not complaining mind you, it's like seeing an old friend every time one pops up.

I'm working my way through this now, and every time Matt Frewer is on screen is a delight. Though that could probably be said of any show.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I still can't believe they made Donnie Darko 2: S. Darko

Holy poo poo just look at the trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p-fLyPg1ZQ

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Croatoan posted:

I still can't believe they made Donnie Darko 2: S. Darko

Holy poo poo just look at the trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p-fLyPg1ZQ

I saw it, I had a "friend" who invited himself over and forced us to watch it. It was very bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My wife made me sit through it because the dude is from a lovely show about teenagers and basketball that she like when she was younger.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rhyno posted:

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.

Literally said this to a girl I work with last night. She laughed.

Saved! definitely holds up. Was great seeing Hal Hartley fave Martin Donovan in it

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I was just reminded about 2018 tv phenomenon Insatiable and am now desperately trying and failing to find information about the second season. :saddowns:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MiddleOne posted:

I was just reminded about 2018 tv phenomenon Insatiable and am now desperately trying and failing to find information about the second season. :saddowns:

Pretty sure all we know is it's happening. And thank god for that! Great show.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'M A GOOD PERSON, I'M A GOOD PERSON, I'M A GOOD PERSON, I'M A GOOD PERSON

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

asecondduck posted:

Saved! holds way the gently caress up.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Escobarbarian posted:

True Detective is so average this season. At least it’s better than season 2.

I notice the “wow it’s so good!!” posts in this thread died off after the second week

It's slowly picking up. And I do mean slowly. Those first two episodes were excellent though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm definitely waiting until there's a consensus for the season as a whole, then putting off watching it for around 6 years.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hey! Stop stealing my style.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Escobarbarian posted:

Smith used a hand gesture to indicate the size of the lens he wanted and Willis got angry he didn’t know the names for them

Willis also got upset when Smith told him he wanted him to play his character in Cop Out like the character he had played in Moonlighting.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

As much as a i have dropped "Chris Pratt's cool" like a hot coal, and i ragging on religion and religious idiots has been a life long passion. He skirted the issue like a pro, but that's to be expected.
He's not going to commit career suicide fighting with Ellen Page about gay rights.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Almost done with season 1 of my Lost rewatch. Really glad that I forgot basically everything. I even forgot about Boone's death!

And the science teacher going boom in the finale was a nice surprise too. He obviously had to go after he called the gang out for forming a pretty exclusive clique (and Hurley for not losing any weight).

Can't wait to get to the lovely parts. Jack's tattoo flashback here I come!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I have zero issue w/ Chris Pratt being religious and tbh kind of find it refreshing to see a young(er), popular af actor being so open about it b/c I think faith is a beautiful thing to have, even if I don't have it myself, and I wholly respect people who are religious but realistic about it/don't take the gospel of their poo poo churches so literally and instead preach love and forgiveness/etc

That said Hillsong Church is loving trash and he should prob find another congregation if he's actually a cool dude imo

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

he’s turning 40 this year

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

esperterra posted:

I have zero issue w/ Chris Pratt being religious and tbh kind of find it refreshing to see a young(er), popular af actor being so open about it b/c I think faith is a beautiful thing to have, even if I don't have it myself, and I wholly respect people who are religious but realistic about it/don't take the gospel of their poo poo churches so literally and instead preach love and forgiveness/etc

That said Hillsong Church is loving trash and he should prob find another congregation if he's actually a cool dude imo

It's super rare any church is all in with support for gay rights, and the ones that are have only done it grudgingly. All evangelical churches are trash.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Popelmon posted:

Almost done with season 1 of my Lost rewatch. Really glad that I forgot basically everything. I even forgot about Boone's death!

And the science teacher going boom in the finale was a nice surprise too. He obviously had to go after he called the gang out for forming a pretty exclusive clique (and Hurley for not losing any weight).

Can't wait to get to the lovely parts. Jack's tattoo flashback here I come!
"Dude, you have a little… Artz on you." is such a good line read. Jorge Garcia is amazing and I hope that when they reboot Lost he's involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rocksicles posted:

It's super rare any church is all in with support for gay rights, and the ones that are have only done it grudgingly. All evangelical churches are trash.

This is probably horrible for me to say as a gay person myself lmao, but there's a big difference between a church that in its foundations has some lovely views on LGBT people that may or may not be p commonly held within the congregation, and churches that still believe in conversion therapy