Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Roland Jones posted:

I heard something happened with Wheaton at some point but missed it. What happened there?

Chris Hardwick's ex came out with some very bad abuse stories about him, and Wil Wheaton, being a comfortably and inoffensively woke liberal guy, threw a huge tantrum about how his best friend was not someone who would do such things and as such he had to go think about it and wouldn't be saying anything in public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I don't think not turning on your best friend as the first reaction to that kind of stuff is that contemptible even though Wil Wheaton sucks.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I dunno, he could have and should have just not said anything instead of making a big deal about how he wasn't going to say anything.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
eh, i did it. You'd be surprised how easy it is, and how obvious it was in retrospect, when the time comes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FMguru posted:

Hite working with and legitimizing Zak is bad, real bad, but at least he didn't mount his high horse and lecture Zak's critics about how rude and uncouth and potty-mouthed they were and declare that their pointing out that Zak was an abusive creepy harasser was literally the same thing as the Two Minute Hate from 1984.

Also donating what he got paid by Zak to a charity for abused women was a good touch by Hite. All Magpie Guy can fall back on is 'Hey, wha' happun?'

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

dwarf74 posted:

There's some talk over on ENWorld about stripping Zak's ENnie away from him.

And some awful people defending him, of course, and hand-wringing about how that might mar the 'integrity' of an 'award' about 'art,' but the mods are not as forgiving about that sort of thing as they were 5 years ago.
Oh no! Not the integrity and credibility of the hallowed ENnie award, famous until recently for going to whoever sent the judges the most valuable swag they could flip on the secondary market! Is nothing sacred?!?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

andrew smash posted:

I dunno, he could have and should have just not said anything instead of making a big deal about how he wasn't going to say anything.

Not that it's remotely the same thing, but further up the page Mearls is getting criticized for not saying anything.

I think sometimes you're not allowed to not say anything. As such, if you don't want to say anything, you have to acknowledge that you aren't going to say anything, as a way of going "I hear you, I'm aware that there's this problem, no comment."

Maybe I'm wrong.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

CitizenKeen posted:

Not that it's remotely the same thing, but further up the page Mearls is getting criticized for not saying anything.

I think sometimes you're not allowed to not say anything. As such, if you don't want to say anything, you have to acknowledge that you aren't going to say anything, as a way of going "I hear you, I'm aware that there's this problem, no comment."

Maybe I'm wrong.

Fair enough, and I was hardly aware of everyone in all of the internet's opinions on it; I just don't remember anyone caring about what wil wheaton's take was until he officially announced that he had no take

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

FMguru posted:

Oh no! Not the integrity and credibility of the hallowed ENnie award, famous until recently for going to whoever sent the judges the most valuable swag they could flip on the secondary market! Is nothing sacred?!?
FYI, the thread in question got super boring with a few people going down the spiral of an MRA's gaslighting and arguments.

And think what you will about the value of the ennies but that's one less award to his name that he could plaster all over his website, bio, and products. That's something of a real consequence for a narcissist and self-promoter. (And if it got his fans to boycott the awards out of anger? So much the better.)

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Dawgstar posted:

Also donating what he got paid by Zak to a charity for abused women was a good touch by Hite. All Magpie Guy can fall back on is 'Hey, wha' happun?'

I think this is the main difference. Concrete action and a promise for more action is the only thing that really backs up an apology from someone in Hite's position.

If he doesn't do anything else and just lets it lie, it'll be incredibly disappointing.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

andrew smash posted:

Chris Hardwick's ex came out with some very bad abuse stories about him, and Wil Wheaton, being a comfortably and inoffensively woke liberal guy, threw a huge tantrum about how his best friend was not someone who would do such things and as such he had to go think about it and wouldn't be saying anything in public.

Got it. Thanks for the info.

CitizenKeen posted:

Maybe I'm wrong.

Mearls is being criticized now because he spoke before, choosing to loudly deny that Zak harmed anyone and to attack his accusers. Going so far in defense of an abuser and thus actively hurting people yourself, and then trying to ignore the situation when more abuse is revealed, is different from just not commenting on your friend turning out to be an abuser (and otherwise not being personally involved?) until you know more, which is what it sounds like Wheaton should have done. So, yeah, different things.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 12, 2019

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
RE: the ENnies, it's worth stating that not only did they give Zak awards, but there was literally a walk out at the ENnies in protest of him...and then they gave him another award the very next year after that.

They knew. They didn't care.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Is there any ulterior reason why indies are now listing small books or supplements on KS as “magazines”?

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

DriveThruRPG has made their statement. It's short and sweet.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

hyphz posted:

Is there any ulterior reason why indies are now listing small books or supplements on KS as “magazines”?

Presumably so that they can take part in KickStarter's current promotion of RPG 'zine based products.

Edit: here is the relevant announcment.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

That all seems very reasonable.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

quote:

I have decided that we will not accept future titles for sale on DriveThruRPG (or our other marketplaces) if Zak is a contributor on the title. If any publisher has a title-in-process to which Zak is a contributor and this policy would impact you financially, then we’d ask that you please reach out to us via the publisher services link to have a dialogue about that title.

For titles currently on our marketplace in which Zak is listed as a contributor, we have checked those publisher accounts, and none of these titles have us paying money directly to Zak. While it is likely that Zak does earn a royalty on some titles sold on DriveThruRPG, any such royalties would be paid directly by the publisher of the title, not by DriveThruRPG.

quote:

For our part, we will be identifying all titles to which Zak contributed and diverting all of the revenue shares that DriveThruRPG might make from sales of these titles as a donation to RAINN

quote:

So DriveThruRPG is now banning certain creators? Will whoever the “outrage brigade” complains about next be banned as well?
We all share a responsibility for the health of our hobby. Any demographic measure we’ve ever seen on the roleplaying hobby shows women are under-represented. Things won’t improve if people shirk the responsibility to make our hobby inclusive.

Zak Smith has a long and well-documented history of behaviors antithetical to a healthy community. In light of recent allegations, which we find credible, we think our business and our hobby is better off without him, so we’re doing our part.

We already have a small list of other bad actors in the industry with whom we refuse to do business: people who have repeatedly abused crowdfunding platforms for personal enrichment, who repeatedly engaged in IP violations, who have repeatedly treated our staff or customers in unacceptably unprofessional ways, and so on. If you repeatedly act like a jerk (or worse, a predator), we won’t wait for other people to complain about you. We’ll just quietly stop doing business with you.

Hot drat.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

hyphz posted:

There is this "month of the zine" promotion going on. So if you call your small book a zine, you can get in on that pre-existing marketing and maybe get more eyes on your product.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I wish they would avoid citing the outrage brigade thing, and I wish that they would stop doing business with people vocally rather than quietly, because being quiet about it means word doesn't get around, but all around better than it could be.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

hyphz posted:

February is zine month - https://www.kickstarter.com/blog/announcing-zine-quest-a-tribute-to-rpg-zines-in-february-2019

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Serf posted:

personally hite can't lose any more of my respect so there ain't much to say other than he's bad folks
Yeah Ken "pol pot was cool, guys*" Hite" is on my poo poo list for his own accord rather than his relations to zaks, so

*or whatever real nasty dictator it was

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zereth posted:

Yeah Ken "pol pot was cool, guys*" Hite" is on my poo poo list for his own accord rather than his relations to zaks, so

*or whatever real nasty dictator it was

Pinochet

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

remusclaw posted:

I wish they would avoid citing the outrage brigade thing, and I wish that they would stop doing business with people vocally rather than quietly, because being quiet about it means word doesn't get around, but all around better than it could be.

It's pretty ok to cite that as a "question we anticipate being frequently asked," because they will certainly get that poo poo.

I don't care how loudly or silently they drop garbage people. And I really like that they didn't just limit this to abuse and harassment. Crowdfunding scammers and other industry blights can get hosed, and this is the first actual instance of that being voiced.

This also forces WotC's hand. If I understand correctly, DriveThru is the digital D&D distribution channel.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

i got "starting with p" right at least

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I really wish there were other indie shops out there who were making providing work for minorities in gaming other than self-publishing a major focus, because boy is Magpie's bullshit 'woopsie daisy' not near enough after multiple people asked them repeatedly to get their names off that disgusting 'calling Zak a predator is like fascism and racism' thing and got ignored but welp I guess they get a pass because the alternatives are self publish or go gently caress yourself.

Luv to be in a cool and normal hobby.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pol Pot was definitely cool and good unlike him.

Also guess who's a mentally deranged brazilian and is apping for the new White Wolf Brand Manager open post

https://twitter.com/ShamsJorjani/status/1095443701587951622?s=19

Warthur
May 2, 2004

remusclaw posted:

I approve of them putting "outrage brigade" in sarcasm quotes; I think it means that Wieck knows exactly what the agenda is of people who use that phrase and has no intention of indulging it.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Now I feel like Mearls has to come out and say something. His twitter has been dark for 3 days now, which is a little out of the ordinary based on his posting history. Perhaps he's being talked to by higher-ups? Just speculating

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
a gag order until PR figures out what to do is not out of the question for something like this.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I’m willing to accept that if Mearls says anything it’ll have to be thoroughly vetted by PR first and so could take a while.

But this won’t stop me from folding my arms and staring at him going “You have some explaining to do”. Metaphorically of course.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Speaking of RPG companies laying low to wait out the controversy of defending and providing targets for a sexually abusive writer:

Has Green Ronin released that timeline that explains everything yet?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea there are odds there's like five PR goons going over whatever Mearls is saying before it goes public.

The odds aren't GREAT, what with history and all, but they do exist.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Gerund posted:

Speaking of RPG companies laying low to wait out the controversy of defending and providing targets for a sexually abusive writer:

I checked my timeline timeline and... nope.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Gerund posted:

any day now! It's gonna solve aaaaaall these problems.

Dumnbunny
Jul 22, 2014

sexpig by night posted:

I really wish there were other indie shops out there who were making providing work for minorities in gaming other than self-publishing a major focus

It’s quite new, so their list of products is thin (well, one), but I’m expecting great things from New Agenda Publishing (http://newagendapublishing.com).

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I doubt theres any PR guys even loosely associated with the D&D team. Mearls is silent because hes a coward.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gerund posted:

Pramas made a tweet the other day about 'sipping metaphorical and literal tea' because I guess they knew about Zak while ignoring C.A. Suleiman's eyes blazing with an intensity some called alarming.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

sexpig by night posted:

Yea there are odds there's like five PR goons going over whatever Mearls is saying before it goes public.

The odds aren't GREAT, what with history and all, but they do exist.

There weren't PR goons around when Mearls was collecting names of people to harrass in order to send them to Zak, why would there be some now?

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

EverettLO posted:

I'd say it's a bit more nuanced, and his thread accurately points out the discrepancy in the response to Ken Hite's apology after repeatedly working with Zak (the internet loves it) and Mark Diaz-Truman's apology after siding with Zak and never actually working with him (the internet hates it).
https://mobile.twitter.com/drcaptainkobold/status/1095378655038058497

It's gross and ill-timed and most importantly, only exists to try and protect Magpie. He's also insinuating if you don't buy his games published through them, you're racist.
Basically he can go gently caress himself because he chose this time to try and ensure he doesn't lose any money because the company he writes for is garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

ravenkult posted:

It's gross and ill-timed and most importantly, only exists to try and protect Magpie. He's also insinuating if you don't buy his games published through them, you're racist.
Basically he can go gently caress himself because he chose this time to try and ensure he doesn't lose any money because the company he writes for is garbage.

On the other hand, I do agree with him: Hite's getting off pretty easy.