Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Picnic Princess posted:

I'm in my 30s and often have difficulty walking from invisible illnesses but okay.

I promise not to get frustrated if you walk in front of my car. I'll be the one playing information society songs really loudly.

That said, I promise I'm not an rear end in a top hat, I just try not to keep people waiting if I am crossing the street :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Gas prices are too low. The US needs to put a much bigger tax on gas and use that money to improve public transport in order to save the environment. It won't ever happen because it backfired in France.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
I keep hearing songs I like the sound of while I'm out and about, but I always seem to only realise I like the song or catch it just as it's ending, so by the time I've pulled out my phone and Shazam has loaded, the song's finished. :argh:

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Mu Zeta posted:

Gas prices are too low. The US needs to put a much bigger tax on gas and use that money to improve public transport in order to save the environment. It won't ever happen because it backfired in France.

It won't happen because the politicians who implemented it would get voted out of office. I personally use public transportation daily and wish the US had a better infrastructure for it but I don't see a chance of it happening via gas tax. Hell the auto lobby would go nuts just like they did the first time they crushed public transportation.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I got a bad haircut!

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Slippery posted:

I promise not to get frustrated if you walk in front of my car. I'll be the one playing information society songs really loudly.

That said, I promise I'm not an rear end in a top hat, I just try not to keep people waiting if I am crossing the street :)

you WILL get frustrated, i insist you can't promise that, you're not going to keep in mind all the reasons people might have for not crossing quickly, it's just going to be annoying to you, this is your curse

my FWP is that you can't just buy a white chocolate creme egg, it's part of this promotion they have. i just want a white creme egg i don't care about winning £1000 or whatever

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
My computer froze and I lost two and a half hours worth of Yakuza 0 progress because I got sucked into doing substories and forgot to save.
:negative:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Korean restaurants used to be really tasty and delicious and also really cheap but now lots of white people eat it so it's getting really expensive.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just when I thought I was finally free of lovely Jordan Peterson youtube recommendations now I'm getting nazi lite poo poo like "D-Day from the German perspective". Literally the only things I've been watching are Bob Ross and old Simpsons clips

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I bought a Nutribullet Balance, mostly so I could experiment with some new and different smoothies which would stave off eating lovely in the morning. Maybe get some inspiration from the one the manufacturers suggest, right?

Every single goddamned recipe has unsweetened almond milk in it, and try as I might I can't stand that crap. It's still super helpful in terms of measuring and everything, so it's a net gain, but dammit.

e: vvv don't get me wrong, I plan to. But since part of the whole thing is that it helpfully records all the data about what you're swallowing, now they'll be ~off~ and it's giving me FWP levels of conniption over it.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 09:02 on Feb 7, 2019

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Use regular milk

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Almond milk is bad for the environment anyway

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Mu Zeta posted:

Almond milk is bad for the environment anyway

What about other types of nut milk?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't think the other nuts are as overfarmed as almonds but I haven't read up on it. I know the fancy coffee shops around me now refuse almond milk and switched to oat milk.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
All of the people who work in the lab are very tiny women and one equally tiny man, so when I need to wear a lab coat to clean inside the lab, theres only one that wouldnt literally explode off me like I was the Hulk the second I picked up a garbage bag. There are multiple Housekeeping coats but only that specific one has shoulders wide enough for me to move my arms in and they keep shuffling it around because I'm the only one that wide

Secondary FWP I'm serious about being able to hulk out in one of those coats because I almost accidentally did once, but I'd get written up if I actually did it, but I really really want to

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

ulex minor posted:

you WILL get frustrated, i insist you can't promise that, you're not going to keep in mind all the reasons people might have for not crossing quickly, it's just going to be annoying to you, this is your curse

drat it, I've become insensitive and lacking in empathy, now I gotta vote Republican

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

I want to learn how to do needle felting but I can't get the supplies and things I need straight away. I have to wait for them to arrive but I want to start now :mad:

I'm aware of the irony of getting impatient over something that requires a lot of patience

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Advertisements for the college I went to are following me around the internet now. I already went there and graduated, leave me alone.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

The delicious food in my work cafeteria is hard to track on MyFitnessPal so I have to just go by the raw calorie estimations they give on the menus.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I live in an apartment complex with lovely landscaping and the flowering bush in front of my apartment is blooming and the tree is also blooming and HERE COME THE ALLERGIES! My face was loving swollen around the eyes and sinus area and my nose is all hosed up and bright red and I want to die

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

DizzyBum posted:

The delicious food in my work cafeteria is hard to track on MyFitnessPal so I have to just go by the raw calorie estimations they give on the menus.

Man that's basically literally the definition of first world problem, I think you win :)

kreyla
Dec 31, 2008
I am a recent grad with not much experience and no one will hire me

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Get some experience and it will be much easier to get hired

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
more like old...I guess just old

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
all of my favorite overwatch streamers are streaming apex legends :mad:

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

MisterBibs posted:

But since part of the whole thing is that it helpfully records all the data about what you're swallowing, now they'll be ~off~ and it's giving me FWP levels of conniption over it.
Ugh, why does every goddamn device need to be ~smart~ and record things? I mean I know why the company is doing it, but why are people buying it?

Can't wait for the next gen of toasters that refuse to cook your bread unless online. Kettle won't boil water unless it can phone home just so it can "get the latest updates on safe water temperature" or some poo poo

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

My dentist tried to sell me an electric toothbrush that had bluetooth capabilities. You could sync it with your phone app to show your friends who's pressing down too hard on their enamel and compete to see who... brushes their teeth better? I could not believe what I was hearing. I just had a cleaning done but left that appointment with a bad taste in my mouth.

God Hole has a new favorite as of 20:47 on Feb 12, 2019

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

PancakeTransmission posted:

Ugh, why does every goddamn device need to be ~smart~ and record things? I mean I know why the company is doing it, but why are people buying it?

I'm buying it because the thing that has always derailed me eating better has been the lack of specificity. If my blender can tell me how many calories my smoothie is, well, that's just great.

I used to find 'smart' products entirely affectatious in general, but the more I dip my foot into it, the more I see the benefits of it.

content: not sure if this is a FWP or just making my day lovely, but I think I'm at the point where I start bitching if my food deliveries are wrong. I've long taken the stance that people are doing me a service and I shouldn't bitch about this or that, but people aren't adhering to my small-but-important-to-me delivery or prep instructions for things, and I'm getting more and more put off by it.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 18:39 on Feb 12, 2019

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

smarxist posted:

all of my favorite overwatch streamers are streaming apex legends :mad:

hang on a second how'd you get the hammer and sickle

and you better not say 'by seizing the means of production comrade' either

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

I bought a cheese pizza and put some goat's cheese and red onion chutney on it and it tasted so good that I ate the whole thing instead of half like I'd been intending to. It wasn't a big pizza but now I feel too full :(

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

PancakeTransmission posted:

Can't wait for the next gen of toasters that refuse to cook your bread unless online. Kettle won't boil water unless it can phone home just so it can "get the latest updates on safe water temperature" or some poo poo
We're already there
English man spends 11 hours trying to make cup of tea with Wi-Fi kettle: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/oct/12/english-man-spends-11-hours-trying-to-make-cup-of-tea-with-wi-fi-kettle

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
My Blue Apron meal delivery this week didn’t include the recipe instruction cards. I can look up the instructions on the website, but :effort:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

cyberbug posted:

We're already there
English man spends 11 hours trying to make cup of tea with Wi-Fi kettle: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/oct/12/english-man-spends-11-hours-trying-to-make-cup-of-tea-with-wi-fi-kettle

Yeah, this is why I just buy simple, no frills, mechanical gadgets for my kitchen. My coffee maker doesn't need a bunch of electronic bullshit. The one I have now doesn't even have a clock on it. I just need a place where you put in the water, a place where you put in coffee, a hot plate, and a "make coffee happen" button. That's it. That's all it needs. It doesn't need to be at a precise temperature. "Hot enough to be coffee" is fine. It doesn't need to be programmable. It doesn't need climate control. It just needs places to put the ingredients in and a button that turns it on and off.

My tea kettle is just a metal tea kettle you put on the stove to boil water in. That's all it needs to be. Nothing mechanical. Nothing electronic. It's just a simple loving tea kettle. I put water in it. I turn my stove on. I put the kettle on the stove. It whistles when it's done. That's all it needs to do.

My toaster is also devoid of electronics. It has a lever and that little thing that sets how dark you want it. I put bread in, I push the lever down, and toast comes out. There is no software involved. I don't want software to be involved. It just needs a plug to plug it into the wall, something to push down to make it start toasting, and slots for the bread. That's it. Nothing else. It's a loving toaster. It doesn't have to be fancy. All it needs to do is lightly burn the bread I stuff in it. I'm fine if it doesn't come out absolutely perfect.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

a bunch of pretty reasonable opinions.

It is pretty nice to have the clock on the coffee maker though. Because then it makes the coffee and the coffee is ready when you get up.

All those other things and points are totally great though because nobody needs toast or tea the second they get out of bed and, in both of those cases, making it can be part of the experience.

(For the record, I used to be a heavy coffee drinker but don’t anymore so this isn’t even coming from a place where it’s currently a thing I normally think about.)

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah, this is why I just buy simple, no frills, mechanical gadgets for my kitchen. My coffee maker doesn't need a bunch of electronic bullshit. The one I have now doesn't even have a clock on it. I just need a place where you put in the water, a place where you put in coffee, a hot plate, and a "make coffee happen" button. That's it. That's all it needs. It doesn't need to be at a precise temperature. "Hot enough to be coffee" is fine. It doesn't need to be programmable. It doesn't need climate control. It just needs places to put the ingredients in and a button that turns it on and off.

My tea kettle is just a metal tea kettle you put on the stove to boil water in. That's all it needs to be. Nothing mechanical. Nothing electronic. It's just a simple loving tea kettle. I put water in it. I turn my stove on. I put the kettle on the stove. It whistles when it's done. That's all it needs to do.

My toaster is also devoid of electronics. It has a lever and that little thing that sets how dark you want it. I put bread in, I push the lever down, and toast comes out. There is no software involved. I don't want software to be involved. It just needs a plug to plug it into the wall, something to push down to make it start toasting, and slots for the bread. That's it. Nothing else. It's a loving toaster. It doesn't have to be fancy. All it needs to do is lightly burn the bread I stuff in it. I'm fine if it doesn't come out absolutely perfect.

yes but how will you compete with the other white bread parents in your gated community to see who has the most toast points if your toaster doesn't have bluetooth

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

burial posted:

It is pretty nice to have the clock on the coffee maker though. Because then it makes the coffee and the coffee is ready when you get up.

All those other things and points are totally great though because nobody needs toast or tea the second they get out of bed and, in both of those cases, making it can be part of the experience.

(For the record, I used to be a heavy coffee drinker but don’t anymore so this isn’t even coming from a place where it’s currently a thing I normally think about.)

I had one like that for a while and it was convenient but I'd tend to forget to set it up. I also don't always want coffee in the morning; some days it's tea. Making coffee is something one can easily accomplish in a not quite awake fog so eh. Granted that coffee maker also didn't last very long. This is another one of my gripes with fancier stuff; it breaks faster pretty much always. What I have now is a really simple one I bought for $10 at Ollie's. It was actually a refurbish and so far has proven to be absolutely indestructible. I don't even remember how long I've had it I've had it so long.

God Hole posted:

yes but how will you compete with the other white bread parents in your gated community to see who has the most toast points if your toaster doesn't have bluetooth

Generally speaking I don't hang around the kind of person who judges others based on their choices in things like toasters.

My toaster is good enough. It does what a toaster is expected to do and it does it well. It's a good, well made toaster that has lasted a good amount of time.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I bought bad batteries or something because my Xbox controller is going through a pair in like a week and I’m not even playing that much, only about 12-14 hours a day

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

oldpainless posted:

I bought bad batteries or something because my Xbox controller is going through a pair in like a week and I’m not even playing that much, only about 12-14 hours a day

lol

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy

ToxicSlurpee posted:

My toaster is good enough. It does what a toaster is expected to do and it does it well. It's a good, well made toaster that has lasted a good amount of time.

But is it brave?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Batteries died in my alarm clock. Woke up at the noise of the garbage truck outside my window... 45 minutes after my usual wake time. I had to skip breakfast to avoid being late to work.