Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The axe strategy is much more powerful and has higher player interaction :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Barenpark is back in stock at CSI and I was wondering if it still a good purchase. SUSD liked it but Paul has bear-bias.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Quixotic1 posted:

Barenpark is back in stock at CSI and I was wondering if it still a good purchase. SUSD liked it but Paul has bear-bias.

It's well worth it. Fits equally well with experienced gamers and newcomers, which is rare. I'm looking forward to the expansion, Die Grizzlies Sind Los!, which is coming later this year.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Jedit posted:

It's well worth it. Fits equally well with experienced gamers and newcomers, which is rare. I'm looking forward to the expansion, Die Grizzlies Sind Los!, which is coming later this year.

I'll second this. I played with a 10 year old and someone who board games every single week; we all had fun and didn't have point totals too far apart.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Final Millenium Blades Expansion is up on Kickstarter. Comes with a built in storage solution for everything.

Also Halls of the Mountain King is up and actually looks really cool. Wish there were more playthroughs/general impressions available.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Megasabin posted:

Final Millenium Blades Expansion is up on Kickstarter. Comes with a built in storage solution for everything.

Also Halls of the Mountain King is up and actually looks really cool. Wish there were more playthroughs/general impressions available.

gently caress, I want that MB Kickstarter (especially the box) but it's so hard to justify when it's so impossible to bring to the table.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Bottom Liner posted:

Basically everything in the expansion spreads out the game's strategies and makes more paths powerful. The engine building aspect of filling up boards to fill up more boards is ramped up ....across the board.

Yeah, got a 4-player game going at club today. We didn't really miss the copy spaces, since that fifth column frees up a lot in 1 and 2, and 8 islands are definitely enough for everybody. Animals are more of a factor, since there are more kinds to breed and it's easier to get breeding pairs in the first place.

It really feels like there's very little reason to play original Feast with Norwegians around.You still need like 90% of its cardboard, of course.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
As someone who has played through Pandemic season 1 several times with multiple friend groups, I can count the number of losses on one hand. So I was pretty surprised to lose the opening games of season 2 back to back. Any commonly misplayed rules or do we just suck?

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Somberbrero posted:

As someone who has played through Pandemic season 1 several times with multiple friend groups, I can count the number of losses on one hand. So I was pretty surprised to lose the opening games of season 2 back to back. Any commonly misplayed rules or do we just suck?

It's way more random, especially in the first few months, due to the composition of the infection deck. You probably just had some unlucky setups.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Somberbrero posted:

First game we played we thought you could only make supplies while at havens. This isn't the case and makes the game much harder.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Slimy Hog posted:

I'll second this. I played with a 10 year old and someone who board games every single week; we all had fun and didn't have point totals too far apart.

I also just played my copy of Barenpark yesterday with a mixed gaming level group and it went over great with everyone regardless, as usual. It's a great game and most of the rules and mechanics are cleverly and effectively baked into the physical elements of the tiles laying.

It shares a shelf with Patchwork and Azul for accessibility while still having genuine "real game" bones.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

silvergoose posted:

At this point we should really give away a dozen lovely games, try to locally auction starting bid $1 another dozen, and then maybe things will start to look better? Local convention auctions are by far the best way to get rid of games, in my experience.

Thanks for the meme though. :3:

GeekWay to the West is coming up and I feel like it's probably an ideal opportunity to dump some games, but I'll probably be too lazy to get online and figure out how to sell anything. I'm probably going to get fed up and just cart a bunch of perfectly good games to Goodwill eventually.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Anyone have any thoughts on the 4p Tokyo Highway? It looks neat.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

T-Bone posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on the 4p Tokyo Highway? It looks neat.

It has a critical flaw for me with the rebuilding when someone knocks stuff down. It grinds the game to a halt and doubles the game length. It’s cute and fun otherwise, but I’m hesitant to recommend buying.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

It has a critical flaw for me with the rebuilding when someone knocks stuff down. It grinds the game to a halt and doubles the game length. It’s cute and fun otherwise, but I’m hesitant to recommend buying.

The "critical flaw" of this dexterity game is that it punishes players for poor dexterity.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

CaptainRightful posted:

The "critical flaw" of this dexterity game is that it punishes players for poor dexterity.

Right, but it punishes the entire table while they wait for the setup to be rebuilt before the game can continue. It's unfortunate bloat. Imagine if you had to rebuild a Jenga tower to the same state before it fell and continue playing, it would be awful. This isn't as bad as that example but it illustrates the point for anyone that hasn't played Tokyo Highway.

Junk Art is still king of the stacking dexterity games, I definitely recommend checking it out if you haven't played it.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Right, but it punishes the entire table while they wait for the setup to be rebuilt before the game can continue. It's unfortunate bloat. Imagine if you had to rebuild a Jenga tower to the same state before it fell and continue playing, it would be awful. This isn't as bad as that example but it illustrates the point for anyone that hasn't played Tokyo Highway.

Junk Art is still king of the stacking dexterity games, I definitely recommend checking it out if you haven't played it.

I don't think I'm super dexterous, but we barely knocked anything over when we played Tokyo Highway. I can see how this might be more common in the 4-player version, though.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Amazon has Corporate America for $33. I can't remember, is that one good or not? I don't have much for negotiation games.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

El Fideo posted:

Amazon has Corporate America for $33. I can't remember, is that one good or not? I don't have much for negotiation games.

I like it. It's kind of "fixed" Catan where everyone's draw effects various cards simultaneously so you're trying to get to get bribes to let that card stand or even pull another one if it means hurting someone.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

El Fideo posted:

Loads of fun. My group loves it

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

CaptainRightful posted:

You can play entire games where nothing gets knocked over. Orrrrr you can get a death spiral in the midgame where someone knocks something small over, and in the process of fixing it knocks something else over and 10 minutes (literally) later you're still waiting for your turn in a fun and light dexterity game.

I dunno, junk art is better imho. I've played both a bunch of times and Junk art is just an easier to teach, faster to play, and generally lighter experience while still hitting all the fun high notes of stacking things.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

You can play entire games where nothing gets knocked over. Orrrrr you can get a death spiral in the midgame where someone knocks something small over, and in the process of fixing it knocks something else over and 10 minutes (literally) later you're still waiting for your turn in a fun and light dexterity game.

Yeah I only played once but the latter was my experience. I can definitely see it varying greatly depending on player skill and how crazy they build, but I don’t want aggressive and fun play to lead to the long dead times as mentioned.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
That sounds hilarious, though.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

That sounds hilarious, though.

It's pretty funny if you are

A) playing 2 player
B) Fairly competitive
C) Drinking a bit
D) willing to concede

Then you make these insane multiple criss-cross tightly woven highways that make it very tricky. But that's a pretty niche use case so I don't get to play it very often, Junk Art gets played 5-6 times more often.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
I've been waiting for Men at Work to become available. The SUSD stream looked fun, has anyone had any experience with it?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Morpheus posted:

gently caress, I want that MB Kickstarter (especially the box) but it's so hard to justify when it's so impossible to bring to the table.

if you can compress it all down into one the Collusion box, then it's taking up less space, which makes it easier to keep, even if you don't get it to the table, he rationalized

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Deathlove posted:

if you can compress it all down into one the Collusion box, then it's taking up less space, which makes it easier to keep, even if you don't get it to the table, he rationalized

This is a good point, I guess I'll thi-whoops already picked up the $60 pledge five hours ago.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I bought A Feast for Odin and 4 of the pages of cardboard weren't very well aligned with the cuts. I think it is still playable but considering the game MSRPs for $100 I'm kinda frustrated.

How is Zman games about replacements?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

KPC_Mammon posted:

I bought A Feast for Odin and 4 of the pages of cardboard weren't very well aligned with the cuts. I think it is still playable but considering the game MSRPs for $100 I'm kinda frustrated.

How is Zman games about replacements?

They used to be bad, they're now quite good, and if you request replacement parts within 30 days of purchase they don't charge shipping costs.

Context
Sep 11, 2006
I should preface this by saying that we're total suckers for legacy games, but drat my group is having an awesome time with Aeon's End: Legacy. It probably helps that we've never played Aeon's End before, so every new thing that gets introduced is super exciting for us. We're only on the third chapter, but can't wait to keep playing. I bet we'll be buying a lot of the other expansions after we're done.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Context posted:

I should preface this by saying that we're total suckers for legacy games, but drat my group is having an awesome time with Aeon's End: Legacy. It probably helps that we've never played Aeon's End before, so every new thing that gets introduced is super exciting for us. We're only on the third chapter, but can't wait to keep playing. I bet we'll be buying a lot of the other expansions after we're done.

A new expansion just launched on kickstarter this morning

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Leder Games have officially announced their next expansion for Root titled "The Underworld," promising to add:

"The Corvid Conspiracy" (Crow faction)
"The Great Underground Duchy" (Mole faction)
New double-sided board (featuring lake & mountain terrains)
New game deck with new effects.

Hitting Kickstarter on March 14th. I'm pumped.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Merauder posted:

Leder Games have officially announced their next expansion for Root titled "The Underworld," promising to add:

"The Corvid Conspiracy" (Crow faction)
"The Great Underground Duchy" (Mole faction)
New double-sided board (featuring lake & mountain terrains)
New game deck with new effects.

Hitting Kickstarter on March 14th. I'm pumped.

they're also going to provide an update kit for the new rules so I am likewise pumped

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Hopefully a bit more balance testing this time

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

The End posted:

More is always nice, but they've got to print it eventually. I think they did a pretty great job with the base & Riverfolk overall. Slight tweaks to Lizards to bring them up a bit, and a little nerfing to Vagabond, all present in the updated rules, are about the most they really needed as far as modifications.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I hope that the kickstarter has stickers to update the old factions to 3.0 rules.

Buck Wildman posted:

they're also going to provide an update kit for the new rules so I am likewise pumped
aaa nice

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I hope you can pledge just the core and Riverfolk. Leder was primarily behind the new factions and his stuff always seems more high concept mechanically, low fun in practice.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I own Root but not expansions or peripheral things. Where can I find the updated rules for the base factions?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The End posted:

They had an extensive playtesting process documented throughout the process, just not enough time to fine tune everything before print, and you get thousands more plays in the first day of release than throughout design and testing.

That said, I am hesitant because these two factions were designed by Patrick Leder with input from Cole, so I’m cautiously optimistic that the system can withstand that input. The new maps are also potentially balance upsetting, but in a less game breaking way.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I'm definitely a lot less excited for a Leder-designed expansion, even if Cole was heavily involved.