Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I'm watching an episode of Cheers where Martin Crane is playing Sy Flembeck, jingle writer. This is so weird. Fraiser and him even interact.

On that same note I saw another one awhile back where Fraiser said his dad was a scientist and was dead. Am I just making things up in my head or was that actually addressed on Fraiser at some point, maybe the episode where they go to Clavin's going away party?

When Sam comes to visit he says this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I'm watching an episode of Cheers where Martin Crane is playing Sy Flembeck, jingle writer. This is so weird. Fraiser and him even interact.

I wonder if that episode where Martin writes a little jingle for Frasier's show is in any way a call back to that. Or if they remembered at all.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
No one really cared about continuity on TV until the late 80s-early 90s.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I guess more as a bit of an in-joke or a nod but yeah you're right

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The Wonder Weapon posted:

and that there were enough other people that put on Futurama at night that it gained enough traction to warrant a subreddit.

I'm not trying to be mean, but goddamn this made me laugh grandpa.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

On that same note I saw another one awhile back where Fraiser said his dad was a scientist and was dead. Am I just making things up in my head or was that actually addressed on Fraiser at some point, maybe the episode where they go to Clavin's going away party?

the sam malone cameo episode gets the most meta with this stuff

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
There's also an episode of Cheers I recently saw where Roz plays a reporter. It's in the last season I think. Done with Cheers and just got a friend's hulu account info so I can watch Wings now.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Wouldn't be surprised if the casting for Frasier went 'That guy from way back when was pretty good, let's call them up to offer a regular role'.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

There's also an episode of Cheers I recently saw where Roz plays a reporter. It's in the last season I think. Done with Cheers and just got a friend's hulu account info so I can watch Wings now.

This is so weird, I was just thinking of starting Wings, I liked it as a kid.

Maybe we need a Wings thread!

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I never watched Wings as a kid but when I've caught reruns on tv I've thought it's alright. It's strangely comforting for some reason. The main guy is like the 90s personified too.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Has anyone watched the Frasier crossover episode of Wings? I don't want to watch it if it's as cringe as the Star Trek thing :ohdear:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Has anyone watched the Frasier crossover episode of Wings? I don't want to watch it if it's as cringe as the Star Trek thing :ohdear:

It's been a long time since I watched Wings, but I think it's just Lilith and Frasier stuck in the airport.

Snugglecakes
Dec 29, 2008

:h: :glomp: :h:

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's been a long time since I watched Wings, but I think it's just Lilith and Frasier stuck in the airport.

I finished a rewatch of wings recently. Frasier showing up is good and is more then just him at the airport.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Snugglecakes posted:

I finished a rewatch of wings recently. Frasier showing up is good and is more then just him at the airport.

You should make the OP for the wings thread imo!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Quite stylish

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Yet affordable!

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Solice Kirsk posted:

I thought it was Clavin and Norm, in an airplane. I think Norm makes a joke.

There's an ep of Fraiser where Fraiser plays the Wings theme on the piano.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Oh I get it now, I thought they meant the chairs were tossed salad and scrambled eggs.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Oh I get it now, I thought they meant the chairs were tossed salad and scrambled eggs.

Oh my!

You maybe seemed a bit confused, but I got you pegged

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?
Where can I stream fraiser.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

artsy fartsy posted:

There's an ep of Fraiser where Fraiser plays the Wings theme on the piano.

Shamino posted:

:cmon:

otoh, please change thread title to "Fraiser"

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
fraiser carne and his brother neil

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I thought his brother was Miles and his dad was Morty Cairn and the dog Elliot

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Shamino posted:

netfilx

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Steam Fasiers...is that a regional dialect?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
And you call them Fasiers despite the fact they are obviously Frasier

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
It’s Frajer. I should know, I’m Frajer.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Laterite posted:

Roz my Niles hole

Edit: lol that ep when niles and lilith sleep together is pretty good

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

:cmon:

otoh, please change thread title to "Fraiser"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Someone brought up that Frasier is generally basically just an Edwardian farce adapted to a modern sitting and it's still fitting.

Though Frasier seems to walk that sitcom line of being mockable and likeable. I think having him be a radio psychiatrist is an inspired choice; it shows that while pompous and egotistical and loving attention, he can also be a nice and friendly person who's capable of empathising with and understanding people from a variety of backgrounds, and can help people solve their personal problems. And of course the joke is that he isn't self-aware enough to properly apply any of that skill to his own life and as a result is constantly getting himself into ridiculous shenanigans that are mostly his own fault for constantly trying to save face rather than admit a mistake or misunderstanding and accept the consequences until it's too late.

Which is what basically every sitcom character does, but Frasier seems built around it quite well.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Another successful con

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

I think it's also on The Hamlark Chanel

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Laterite posted:

Megyn Price is one of the hottest TV moms ever as well.

Lynsey Bartilson (the redheaded daughter) was just teen-awkward enough for "why the gently caress is my mom so hot" to work for the series.

I'll give the series credit for having the parents being out of their depth because of TEEN PRENANCY, but there was something just off about the series. Like their weird Kramer analogue uncle just comes off as someone that was days from getting an FBI raid for weird sketchy poo poo.

Though one of the funniest moments happens when the daughter performs a risque scene from Cabaret in school and ... it does not go over well.

Upset they didnt get Brendan Fraser on Frasier as Dr. Fraiser, proctologist.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 13, 2019

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

took me a second. touché

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

FilthyImp posted:

upset they didnt get Brendan Fraser on Frasier as Dr. Fraiser, proctologist.

it is not too late everyone except martin and the dog is still alive and i think the dog already died a few times anyway

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Oh my!

You maybe seemed a bit confused, but I got you pegged

You loving scamp, you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

lol but seriously I posted:

it is not too late everyone except martin and the dog is still alive and i think the dog already died a few times anyway

The dog died at the end of every episode. As soon as they wrapped on filming Grammer would abruptly draw a pistol and murder the animal. They tried at first to stop it, but in later seasons it was just included in his contract. (In the last season he tried to bargain up to two per episode. That proved beyond the pale, leading to the cancellation of the series.)