Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

snoremac posted:

Hinch being in proves there’s no pedos imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

quote:

Medical evacuation bill passes the Senate

Ayes: 36

Noes: 34

Labor, the Greens, Tim Storer, Derryn Hinch and Centre Alliance all vote yes.

There is short break out of applause.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
While I absolutely disagree with mandatory detention and believe we have enough room and resources to accommodate everyone presently seeking asylum here, and tat we have a responsibility to them due to our dogshit foreign policies, I think I understand the strategy Labor are playing here. They pledge to maintain the status quo on borders to remove the government's strongest platform, while putting enough of a humanitarian shine on it to both appease the centrist independents, and keep the more left wing unions and party members from fleeing wholesale to the Greens. The Libs are still going to run their campaign on border security, but by pledging to keep it all, the ALP are removing its teeth. Cooked boomers on Facebook will still buy it, but they're never voting ALP/Greens anyway.

The HOPE is that once they consolidate power and start to get some runs on the board, that we'll see a bit of softening. I think they'll almost certainly close Nauru and Manus for the financial reasons alone, and with Manus it's supposed to be shut down already. I expect we'll still see a pretty lovely border security regime vs even the Rudd/Gillard govts (maybe this Malaysian solution they brought up again recently?), but they're not going to make the mistake of allowing the right wing media to report on boats showing up on the north coast every week. And the boot lickers in the border force and intelligence agencies/federal police will almost certainly make sure they find out.

Beaucoup Haram
Jun 18, 2005

Oh my sweet summer child.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Hinch wasn't going to vote no he just wanted some attention.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

bandaid.friend posted:

Coalition decided to open Christmas Island in the last couple of weeks in case this bill passed

They have been planning on re-opening Christmas Island for a long time, as SERCO has been putting out tenders for supplying Christmas Ialand for at least a few months now.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Beaucoup Haram posted:

Oh my sweet summer child.

I don't know the electorate is softening up on this and checks notes does check his notes. It's not impossible despite being improbable.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Who is Hanson bleating about?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

I don't know the electorate is softening up on this and checks notes does check his notes. It's not impossible despite being improbable.

I'm not expecting them to do it on humanitarian grounds, I'm expecting them to do it because they're far better administrators than the Liberals.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

JBP posted:

How was Dutton claiming Nauru had child sex offenders on it. Why are you keeping them there dog, hahaha, why haven't you processed them as undesirable and send them home hahaha

My mum used to work in refugee processing for the department of immigration (now border force) and left and just hated it, hated having to interview kids coming from war torn countries to ascertain whether they are legit etc and actually worked on Christmas Island (not manus or Nauru) for a few months.

THAT SAID she said it was frustrating when she would have actual legit documentation from the country showing domestic abuse or sex assault crimes (not trumped up poo poo like protesting or something), and in addition to that then lying about things to get in (if you have to lie to prove asylum claims it does defeat the argument they need to be let in- surely the truth actually passes the test), and she denies based on both of them, then they file an appeal and volunteer lawyers help them get over the line in not being kicked back to their home country. I’m not saying the place is full but it’s definitely a factor.

Also Iran doesn’t accept their people back if they don’t want to so we can’t “just send back” a lot of them even if we decline them.

Again the actual answer for these people is to still have them in Australia in detention if they don’t clear security and try and get them sent back anyway rather than torture them on an island hell hole either way

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

MiniSune posted:

Who is Hanson bleating about?

This is what I want to know

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

But a boat could come and sink Shorten forever!!!!!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Anidav posted:

But a boat could come and sink Shorten forever!!!!!

Yes lets hope the thing that the Coalition have complete control over doesn't happen or we might have to mindlessly follow their narrative that it was Labors fault,

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Good morning sir, my name is Mr Zingers I will be your host for the next three months.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Curiouser and Curiouser

https://twitter.com/lukehgomes/status/1095495102837907456

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Spread the net :kheldragar:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

quote:

A media adviser for the-then justice minister, Michael Keenan, worked together with David De Garis to leak news of impending police raids on the AWU in October 2017, a court has heard.

De Garis, then-employment minister Michaelia Cash’s former media adviser, told the federal court on Wednesday he told Keenan staffer Michael Tetlow that the raids were set to occur late that afternoon.

Under questioning from the AWU’s barrister, Herman Borenstein QC, De Garis said he told Tetlow that “I understood that the raids were going to occur”.

“We organised to disseminate this information to the media together,” he said. “Amongst ourselves.”

De Garis said he called print journalists from The Australian, the Daily Telegraph and Fairfax while Tetlow called TV media.

Asked why he told Tetlow, he said because the raids were being conducted by federal police, which sat within the justice minister’s portfolio.

“He seemed the appropriate person to speak to,” he said.

De Garis said on Tuesday had learned of the raids from Cash’s former chief of staff Ben Davies.

Davies and Cash are scheduled to give evidence this week.

He's diving on the grenade to save Cash.

Professor Dog
Jul 25, 2007
Hey guys. Anyone know of any good volunteering opportunities around Melbourne? I'm casting around for ideas for something meaningful I can contribute to. I have years of writing/sub-editing experience if that helps (it won't) but I can help out in any way I can.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Professor Dog posted:

Hey guys. Anyone know of any good volunteering opportunities around Melbourne? I'm casting around for ideas for something meaningful I can contribute to. I have years of writing/sub-editing experience if that helps (it won't) but I can help out in any way I can.

https://www.ethicaljobs.com.au/sear...blished&submit=

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Lets look at today so far:

- Libs lose vote in the senate, look like poo poo
- AWU vs Govt case in the high court reveals that both Employment and Justice ministry colluded to leak AWU raids
- Tim Wilson affair continues to unravel due to evident failure to meet disclosure requirements
- Senate committee looking into the Great Barrier Reef Foundation funding grant due to table its report his afternoon. Assume it's bad news for the Libs.

We're not even at Question Time yet.

im alan jones
Feb 1, 2009

the muhammad ali of radio

Don Dongington posted:

Hinch is in. This was actually a bit of a masterstroke, because having been fully briefed, and being a very vocal 'tough on crime' proponent for his very public career, this severely undermines Dutton and Morrison's claim that the ALP are being reckless and ignoring advice etc.

Chances are pretty high the 'experts' didn't or couldn't present any real security arguments against the measure.

youre giving the alcoholic pedophile way too much credit

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

im alan jones posted:

youre giving the alcoholic pedophile way too much credit

Possibly. Intentional or not, it had the desired effect of giving the bill credibility and making Morrison look even more like a child.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Hinch is a pedo? I thought he hunted pedos.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/smh/status/1095302350598737920

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

snoremac posted:

Hinch is a pedo? I thought he hunted pedos.

Hinch admitted to banging at least one underaged girl

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3678564/Derryn-Hinch-said-slept-15-year-old-lingerie-model.html

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
if my son told me he intended to become a ramsay scholar i'd make him fight me for the privilege and i would shoot to kill

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
The article says he thought she was underage but she called him to say she wasn't. lol

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

95 to do a cut rate PPE at Wollongong seems pretty steep.

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
iirc killing a jewish woman is on the list of attributes so it'd work out either way

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
i can't wait until the white race is extinct so violent nationalism will at least become more diverse and interesting

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
Dutton’s super-ministry can’t even do their job on time. Clearly the man potato is one of history’s great inspirational leaders.

quote:

The Department of Home Affairs dropped its target of processing 80% of citizenship applications within 80 days after it got through just 15% last financial year, an efficiency review has found.

Of the 15%, nearly all were deemed to be “invalid for processing”, while the rest took up to 337 days.

In one instance a “low” effort case took 422 days to get a decision, of which 413 days was inactivity.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/feb/13/duttons-department-processed-just-15-of-citizenship-applications-last-year

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Dutton is bleating on about "activist doctors", you know the BAD ones.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Those wacky activist doctors such as

Doctor Dank
Doctor Fourtwenty
Doctor Openbordas
Doctor Di Natalie
Doctor Mario.
Doctor Soros

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

What, do they line you up against a pantone chart to be sure you're not too dark?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

froglet posted:

What, do they line you up against a pantone chart to be sure you're not too dark?

FATAL_anal_circumference_chart.jpg

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

The Guardian posted:

Coalition leader in the Senate Mathias Cormann has said that both he and the prime minister have “full confidence” in Michaelia Cash.

She's loving cooked isn't she

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
DOG NEWS

https://twitter.com/9newsmelb/status/1095228771970371584

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Please replace politics with this dog