Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Cardiovorax posted:

Kenshi.txt :allears:

I love this game.

Another thing to add - resist the temptation to savescum. I know I couldn't resist the urge when I started thievin', but after recruiting a decent posse in Shark and trying to snatch some blades from the Hounds, I decided instead of reloading that I would hightail it out of there with my new group of low-level/extremely specialized recruits. My ninja took an arrow to the gut, but we managed to book it relatively unscathed. The person I tried to steal from would not let that grudge go, however, so once they chased us into the middle of the swamp we turned around and beat them senseless. Now we're going to carry their unconscious body around in case we need to leave some snacks in order to escape some hungry critters.

None of this would've happened if I save scummed just to snatch that stupid high-quality horse chopper, and I would've been poorer for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

LuiCypher posted:

Another thing to add - resist the temptation to savescum. I know I couldn't resist the urge when I started thievin', but after recruiting a decent posse in Shark and trying to snatch some blades from the Hounds, I decided instead of reloading that I would hightail it out of there with my new group of low-level/extremely specialized recruits. My ninja took an arrow to the gut, but we managed to book it relatively unscathed. The person I tried to steal from would not let that grudge go, however, so once they chased us into the middle of the swamp we turned around and beat them senseless. Now we're going to carry their unconscious body around in case we need to leave some snacks in order to escape some hungry critters.

None of this would've happened if I save scummed just to snatch that stupid high-quality horse chopper, and I would've been poorer for it.

Yeah, I fell into the habit of savescumming on my first run through. It's much better to just let the game play out.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, Kenshi actually is a bit like Dwarf Fortress, Shadow of War or Rimworld that way. It's the craziness that comes from taking your hits and dealing with the consequences that makes for the best stories.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I was sorely tempted to save scum when I made my trip to and from Mongrel to find Señor Beep and somehow managed to lose two tank characters to Fogmen. I feel like Fogmen must use stealth because I was keeping a close eye on my group and only realized people were missing when the jailed icon showed up over their portrait. It was eerie.

Oh well, I guess Beep gets to be a tank!

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I had to save scum when I was trying to escape the swamp with 10 guys and 12 spiders rushed us. Limbs flew everywhere and within about 10 seconds
my whole squad was being eaten alive.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The less bullshit blood spider range mod is the greatest. Why does something that can do like 120 damage to a vital body part have such huge range?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

This reminds me of Monty Python for some reason.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Now the Fog Islands Dramatic Society performs their reenactment of the Battle of Pearl Harbor.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

it's really fascinating how the world of kenshi has re-invented everything from cybernetic limbs to hydroponic farming, but no one has figured out what a wheel is or what they're good for.

nope, just gonna slog all my trade goods in a backpack, like a schlub.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

jfood posted:

it's really fascinating how the world of kenshi has re-invented everything from cybernetic limbs to hydroponic farming, but no one has figured out what a wheel is or what they're good for.

nope, just gonna slog all my trade goods in a backpack, like a schlub.

What I really want, is to line the UC and Holy Nation slaver routes with IEDs.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I'm on the fence about getting Kenshi, everytime I read about this game I have the urges to get it but I've never been good with sandbox games. As far as I've seen, the game seems really slow and it appears you need a lot of real time hours to get anything going on, is that true? Or it does have some ways to speed things up?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
There are mods that do things like include a universal XP multiplier or purchasable research items that you can normally only find in ruins. Kenshi is a game that is very easy to play at the pace you want it to, not least because there are so many different ways to play it. Just getting a group of guys and roaming around beating stuff up is not very time intensive, but even building a whole base is something you can do in a single afternoon.

Don't get me wrong, there's certainly a bit of a time investment involved, but it's not MMO grade.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Feb 16, 2019

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
There's plenty to do just exploring the world at low levels, you level athletics fairly fast, so soon you will be able to run from everything.
Reaching Endgame can take a while, but you don't have to reach endgame to have something to do. Think of it like you would of Dwarf Fortress in that regard.

Except Beak Things, you can't run from Beak Things. Drag them into someone else so they become their problem instead.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Angry Lobster posted:

I'm on the fence about getting Kenshi, everytime I read about this game I have the urges to get it but I've never been good with sandbox games. As far as I've seen, the game seems really slow and it appears you need a lot of real time hours to get anything going on, is that true? Or it does have some ways to speed things up?

It has a demo! Get the demo, see if you like it!

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Nice, I'll give it a try, I don't mind a little grind now and then, I've played plenty of roguelikes and rpgs, but it's not my main focus.

StrixNebulosa posted:

It has a demo! Get the demo, see if you like it!

Oh, missed that, it's so rare nowadays for games to have proper demos, sometimes I miss the 90's.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's a pretty good demo. You can basically play forever, but your stats only go to a max of 20 out of 100. If you just want to see what the content is like, it's great.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I bought it once, didn't get it the first time out and refunded. then, you know, tried it again... then bought it again and love it.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

A lot of starter guides encourage turtling up and collecting ore to gradually acquire funds, which is valid, but I had more fun sneaking into cannibal-infested ruins and grabbing all the tech before they woke up and ate me.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Before downloading the demo I'm watching some let's plays in youtube (one of them by the clinically insane Robbaz) and I'm having a blast :allears:

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah don’t just park on a copper vein like I did on my first run. It’s reliable but boring. Sneak through a town to build up your stealth, and start grabbing everything that isn’t nailed down. Soon you’ll be cracking safes and nabbing tens of thousands worth and then you can pretty much go do anything.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'd personally recommend tagging along a friendly group, like Shek Kingdom patrols or a trade Caravan, and then just "helping" them out in combat while nabbing whatever you can from the attackers.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, that's a legitimate strategy and a bit more fun than basically doing the same by spawn camping bandits near a city gate. Plus, you'll get to see the world and develop a feeling for where all the cities are.

I definitely do not recommend ore mining as an early game strategy. It's really a trap that will just ruin your enjoyment of the game, because it takes forever for only marginal gains.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

You can also just use a custom start so you have better skills and some basic equipment to start.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Also, the in-game editor that lets you spawn literally anything.

Although, at that point, you're not really playing the game anymore.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Power Walrus posted:

Yeah don’t just park on a copper vein like I did on my first run. It’s reliable but boring. Sneak through a town to build up your stealth, and start grabbing everything that isn’t nailed down. Soon you’ll be cracking safes and nabbing tens of thousands worth and then you can pretty much go do anything.

Eh, I find clicking all around to sneak and steal, managing the stuff you steal in your inventory and leveling up the necessary skills way more tedious than just building a copper storage then automating people on a node while you watch TV or something. Plus bandits and stuff will walk by so your guys will get combat experience at the same time. Once you're strong enough to go loot ruins the money you make from stealing is paltry in comparison too so it doesn't continue to be useful like laboring will. But that's my opinion, some people may like roleplaying a thief.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

the money you make from stealing is paltry in comparison too
It really isn't, you just have to know what to steal. Hauls of 60k+ are perfectly possible if you pick the right kind of store. That equates to about 500 chunks of copper.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Stealing is so powerful that I'd say it's only allowed if you don't savescum :colbert:

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

It really isn't, you just have to know what to steal. Hauls of 60k+ are perfectly possible if you pick the right kind of store. That equates to about 500 chunks of copper.

Yeah a single trip to the limb store is equal to like weeks worth of mining.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
^You don't mine to buy stuff like 20k limbs obviously

Cardiovorax posted:

After you've leveled up skills that aren't used for any other purpose by tediously micromanaging a character, sure. I'd rather get some starting money on copper then go loot some beak thing eggs or technology when my guys get tough enough.

I mean currently I can and do just walk into a town with my guys and take out all the guards in combat. I don't bother looting the junk in town because the time it would take to go around doing that isn't even worth the money it'd produce.

GokuGoesSSj69 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 16, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

After you've leveled up skills that aren't used for any other purpose by tediously micromanaging a character, sure. I'd rather get some starting money on copper then go loot some beak thing eggs or technology when my guys get tough enough.
I find it a lot less tedious than sitting around waiting for the game to finish generating money for me. I mean, at that point, you might as well use the editor and save on electricity costs by skipping over the wait entirely. It's not like you're really having fun playing the game anyway.

That said, breaking into a store at night and lifting a box full of chain sheets is something you can do at basically any skill level, really, and they sell for nearly 2k per.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

^You don't mine to buy stuff like 20k limbs obviously

I mean currently I can and do just walk into a town with my guys and take out all the guards in combat. I don't bother looting the junk in town because the time it would take to go around doing that isn't even worth the money it'd produce.

I meant stealing wise. A single chest in there is equal the weeks worth of mining income so why waste your time mining for money.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

Cardiovorax posted:

I find it a lot less tedious than sitting around waiting for the game to finish generating money for me. I mean, at that point, you might as well use the editor and save on electricity costs by skipping over the wait entirely. It's not like you're really having fun playing the game anyway.

That said, breaking into a store at night and lifting a box full of chain sheets is something you can do at basically any skill level, really, and they sell for nearly 2k per.

No, I wouldn't be having fun it I was micromanaging a guy sneaking around and stealing stuff. Might as well just use an editor at that point because no one can play the game differently than me :smug:

socialsecurity posted:

I meant stealing wise. A single chest in there is equal the weeks worth of mining income so why waste your time mining for money.

They get combat xp from wandering patrols at the same time you get money to buy whatever schematics you may need. It's not even like you need to be super rich. I'm sitting on 400k with nothing to spend it on and like I said I don't even really loot most things.

GokuGoesSSj69 fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 16, 2019

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If you don't want to start out stealing stuff or mining, hunting game (or making others hunt it for you) is a pretty good way of earning money earlygame.
Skins are worth a fair bit, and the meat can keep you fed without having to spend on food (just build a camp fire to cook it).

If you can find a Beak Thing Nest, you can make bank. Just drag someone else towards the nest to keep them occupied while you snag their eggs.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is people wanting to join you after breaking them out of a cannibal's pole something in the base game or would recruitable prisoners or reactive world? Someone approached me in the Flotsam Village after I freed them from cannibals and they are swole.as.gently caress.

Like they're way too powerful for this to have been a vanilla event.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Might as well just use an editor at that point because no one can play the game differently than me :smug:
Dude, no need to be an rear end about it. I think it's fair to question the recommendation of leaving the game running while you watch TV so that your mans can generate money for you.

I mean, if you dislike that phase of the game so much, it only makes sense to come up with some way to skip over it that involves actually playing the game, like a background that lets you start with cash monies right away. Seems only reasonable.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 16, 2019

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is it possible to instigate the Shek Kingdoms into fighting the UC after you've taken out the HN? I know I had the option for it when I brought the Bugmaster and got the alliance, but I chose the HN at the time, and now the leaders don't seem to have anything more to say to me.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Is there a source where I can find all world state characters and their effects? I checked the wiki but they are all spread out amongst their related areas/content and there isn't one central location.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Obviously you mine with a few guys while a ninja runs around stealing everything and while you wait for shops to respawn you take the whole crew hungry bandits hunting while the ninja hides around the corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Well... took my whole squad back to Squin to get some supplies I’d left behind, came back to find my outpost just totally gone. Even my buildings in progress with nothing added.

I’m all for not save scumming, but I reloaded after that. :v: