Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
I know that. What I'm doing, and the reason why I bought the amp in the first place, was to run the FX send into a Neunaber speaker simulator into a mixer into headphones or an interface, thereby using the amp itself as a tube preamp for recording or silent playing. The FX loop send isn't *sending* anything unless there's something connected to the return, but works fine if I connect a 1/4 to 1/8 headphone adapter (which is connected to nothing) into the return. Just to be extra clear: The point of this is so I can crank the preamp tubes for the amp's tone without engaging the power amp, thereby being able to play/record silently. (Amp has a line out but it sucks a barrel of dicks and isn't a viable solution.)

Once I get another switch (I need 2 for what I want to do and I only have one AB switch), I'm going to split the guitar signal into a "into the front of the amp" path for ODs/boosts and an "into the effects return" path for my collection of preamps. For now, was just wondering if plugging a 1/4 adapter into the FX return in order to get the loop to send at all is gonna make something explode.

Sorry if this comes across as curt, you've been really helpful! I just think you weren't understanding what I was asking.

Edit:

I realize this may strike people as a kind of silly use for an amp, but I've tried all the solid state options short of a Kemper or Axe-FX and nothing does a good Marshall tone to my satisfaction. I've got the super clean and super distorted sounds down with what I have, but I scored the DSL20 for $350 and that's about as much as quality Marshall preamp clone would cost anyway.

Gnumonic fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Dec 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Makes sense. I've thought about doing the same with my Thunderverb, run the preamp into the poweramp of another amp that has a presence control.

I don't think you're going to hurt anything, but if there's a master volume on the amp I'd keep it at 0. There's also probably some chance of noise due to ground issues, I guess.

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Now with 33% less Engrish
I noticed that my amp is very flat sounding and after further troubleshooting, I noticed that the difference in between 1 and 10 on the Treble nub is very hard to differentiate. I'm wondering if that would be a sign of tubes wears losing brightness in sound? I changed my pre-amp tubes already but not the main 4s. They all "look" like they are in working condition when the amp is hot but they are over 6 years old but nowhere near 500 hours of play.

They are fairly pricey tubes so I wouldnt want to change them for not reason. The head is a Marshall JPM MK2 100 watts.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yea I getcha. Didn’t come across as curt. Actually, you’ve hit upon the same thing I went through which is why I now use a tube preamp and solid state power amps. My preamp has a speaker out and a direct out.

I went through all the same poo poo with modelers and this is what works for me right now.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I now use a tube preamp and solid state power amps. My preamp has a speaker out and a direct out.

As a bedroom/studio guy I consider this combination constantly.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm a cheap rear end bedroom player. I love my THR10 and my Egnater Tweaker 15w, but the Tweaker needs to run a little too loud to get a full sound out of it, and I can't hook the THR10 to the Tweaker cab's 1x12 speaker, so I was investigating small, cheap amp heads to make use of that speaker. That's when I ran across the Hotone Nano series.

Hotone is a Chinese manufacturer best known for making tiny rear end effect pedals. I had their tape echo delay and figured if their amp heads had the same level of quality, I'd get a good bang for my buck. $80 later, I had a used Hotone Mojo Diamond, their Fender Tweed clone. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5PYc4Gkv8M

Then I bought the British Invasion, their Vox clone. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pcBGH8ZDs4

These amps are really good for cheap, 5w mini amps.

There are quite a few of these, too, cloning all sorts of different amps. They don't get rehearsal with a drummer loud, but they're perfect for bedroom playing, and I've heard people running the line outs direct to PA's to play shows. Of the two I have, I prefer the British Invasion, but they sound distinct enough to be used for different purposes. At this point, I use my THR10 for recording, these for playing, and only break out the Tweaker when the wife and kid are out of the house. I'm not too into hi-gain amps, preferring to get my dirt from pedals, but I think I might start collecting these. They're cheap enough that I can get one every couple of months without impacting my budget, so what the hell.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I have an update on my Blues Jr. MKIII that I modified with the BillM Audio stuff last year.

If you recall, I did a bunch of mods to the new amp but the amp soon died. I know now why it died, and it's stupid music poo poo because I am a poor who can't play a loud amp (this 15W amp is crazy loud) without getting myself evicted from my apartment. So when I decided to make before and after audio demonstration clips of the amp's sounds I isolated it in a closet. It was still too loud, so I placed some large pillows in there to dampen the noise. That worked really well! It also eventually cooked the power transformer to death. Yes, this was totally foreseeable and preventable, but I risked it and I lost. That's ok, though; as I intended to upgrade the PT eventually anyway.

I left the amp with my Dad at Christmas. He's the guy who built the old tweed Fender Twins and Super Deluxes that I posted pics of in here awhile back. He agreed to diagnose the issue for me. He found the dead power transformer right away so I drop-shipped him the BillM recommended upgrade: a Heyboer PT. He installed it and the amp is alive and well at his house. It just needs tubes.

This morning I bought new glass for it and again had it shipped directly to him: A matched duet of Gold Lion EL84s, a JJ 12AT7, and a MESA/Boogie 12AX7 (which I suppose is just a rebadged something-or-other that meets their specs). When I go up to pick up the amp it will have new tubes, freshly biased, and burned-in. I'm excited to meet it again. Dad has the oxblood Blues Jr with the hemp-cone speaker and that's what inspired me to buy this one and mod it. He has played it and he's really impressed by it. I miss the little guy. I never really got to know him before I killed him. I just took forever to get him fixed because I built a whole new guitar rig around a Blackstar and a Peavey Classic 20 and that sounds glorious.

I'll take my lumps for burning the poor amp up, that was dumb. Mea culpa. But if I owned a house I'd have a music room in a basement where I could crank poo poo to deaf and not bother anyone.

This is the list of mods the amp currently has:
The BillM Basic mod kit (tone stack caps, filter caps, bias trim-pot, coupling caps, etc.)
Presence control mod
Audio taper volume and reverb pots
Anti-oscillation cap (comes with the basic kit and also with the upgraded OT)
Heyboer TO20B OT
Standby switch
Input jack
Heyboer upgraded Blues Jr. PT

...and a Celestion G12H-HE speaker.

The last I heard it, I thought the gain had become loose and woofy after the mods. If it still sounds that way I will ask an amp tech if there's anything I can do to tighten it up.

Here are some pics from the mod work, since it's been a while since I posted this stuff:

If anyone has any questions about the mods I'll be happy to answer.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jan 14, 2019

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

This might be a long shot but:

Has anyone actually owned both the 6L6 and EL34 versions of the 5150? I'm asking because, having recently purchased a reactive load box, I can finally buy a non-lunchbox amp and play it at home. Problem is, after listening to every youtube demo I could find, half the time I think the EL34 version sounds amazing and half the time I think it sounds like muddy rear end. I very much prefer the EL34 to the 6L6 version when it sounds good, but I'm not sure if the muddiness in the bad clips is a result of bad recording, or if the good clips sound good because of some DAW magic.

Unfortunately nowhere remotely near me carries any high gain amps so I have to make a decision based on clips, and it really doesn't help that half the clips sound great and half sound awful.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Does it matter if the head I had was the Peavey 6534? Because I used to have that and it sounded loving badass.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

You know I didn't realize Peavey made an el34 6505. I'd be really interested in one of those, except my load and speaker are 100 watts and I really want 3 real channels.

I might just take the plunge on the 5150 once I get my tax return. Mainly I'm looking for a cheaper amp that can do something in the neighborhood of a Friedman BE -- 3 channels, vaguely "hotrod Marshall" sounding, has a face melting 3rd channel -- but I absolutely cannot justify $3k for the real thing, and a PT-20 seems kinda... really loving expensive for one channel.

If anyone has any alternative ideas I'm open to them. Wattage doesn't matter at all as long as its less than 100. Was also looking at the Bogner Atma, which seems more versatile, but might be too versatile. One of the reasons I like real amps is that I'll spend 0 time playing with modeling stuff and 100% of my time tweaking stuff in circles.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
There’s a guy out of Windsor, Ontario, :canada:, who will make you anything you want, for under $1k new. Phaez Amplification. I have one of his dual preamp models, the Duophonic, with a JTM45 and a Blackface for my preamps.

You can find reviews on GearPage, FB, etc.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Motherfucker posted:

I am going to come up with something that will be half the USED price of one of these
Words to live by. :black101:

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Sockington posted:

There’s a guy out of Windsor, Ontario, :canada:, who will make you anything you want, for under $1k new. Phaez Amplification. I have one of his dual preamp models, the Duophonic, with a JTM45 and a Blackface for my preamps.

You can find reviews on GearPage, FB, etc.

Ok this is sincerely tempting. I think I could forgo the clean channel for something like a Silver Jubilee/Pink Taco Duophonic.

Can you run the amp in stereo? The duo phonics look like they have two inputs and that would be an awesome feature for both recording and jamming.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Ok amp thread I've done a bunch of research and I think I've narrowed down my options.

Preliminaries: My current setup is a Marshall DSL20HR that I run AMT/Amptweaker preamps into for more variety, into a reactive load, into either a Neunaber Iconoclast (a non-IR based but pretty-drat-good-IMO speaker simulator) or an interface for IRs.

I like the Marshall to an extent, but it's really not versatile. Even if I stack boost pedals and boost the *gently caress* out of the FX loop signal with an EQ, the first channel never really gets dirty in a pleasing way, and the cleans aren't particularly amazing either. The second channel does the modern Marshall thing fairly well, but is kind of compressed and congested, and I want an amp that is more "articulate" with high gain. I can sort of fix the second channel with an EQ in the loop, but I have to set the EQ for each individual pickup, and that's not viable long term.

I mostly play metal, but I play a pretty wide variety of metal. Right now I'm on a neoclassical binge so I want an amp that can do the Plexi/Yngwie thing on one channel, but that isn't to flubby or congested for downtuned death metal on the drive channel. Clean cleans are a plus but not really required. Since I'm running through a reactive load wattage doesn't really matter either way. (As in: I'm going to crank the gently caress out of these regardless of wattage and if I need to bring them to a jam I'll grab a FRFR and run through that) Budget is $1000-1500, willing to buy used.

Amps I'm considering:

1) Ceriatone Chupacabra/Yeti/King Kong/rear end in a top hat 50 Deluxe/Son of Yeti -- Clones of various modded Marshalls, point to point wiring, mountain of switching options. Honestly this is probably my best bet, but I'm impatient and the wait time is apparently around 3 months, so I'm limited to what I can find used. Research indicates any of these should do everything I want, but I won't have a chance to demo one. (The rear end in a top hat 50 is a direct Friedman BE clone, the King Kong is supposed to be close to a Cameron CCV, etc)

Pros: Extremely high build quality, comparatively cheap for what you get, does everything I want.

Cons: Heavy, expensive to ship if I need repairs (no one local), hard to find used, hard to resell.

2) Marshall DSL100HR -- Probably the closest stock Marshall to what I want. I'm worried that the high gain channel will have the same problems as my DSL20HR, but the high gain mode on the clean channel and the low gain mode on the drive channel might get me close enough.

Pros: Could buy one new and be covered under warranty if something dies. Cheap. Says 'Marshall' on the front.

Cons: Reliability problems. Printed PCB. Might still have a lovely congested gain channel.

3) EVH 5150 50 Watt (Either EL34 or 6L6) -- Not strictly a modded Marshall, but should get close enough for classic metal.

Pros: I'm 100% confident the red channel will do death metal super well, and I love the way harmonics jump out of these amps. Has enough gain.

Cons: Can't decide between the EL34 or 6L6 version. Not sure if either can nail the Yngwie/classic metal tones I want. El34 version sounds very different in different demos.

4) Bogner Atma -- Ok this isn't a modded Marshall either, but I think it can be me in the neighborhood of the tones I want. Extremely versatile. Small. Could actually play plugged into a cab on low power mode.

Pros: It's a Bogner, so I'm assuming the build quality is super high. Very versatile. Excellent clean. Small.

Cons: Again, can't really demo this at all. Worried about the EL84s not having enough low end for downtuned metal.

5) Surprise Option: Fractal AX8 --- Ok it's not even an amp. Honestly I'm really trying to stay away from modeling because my playtime takes a nosedive whenever I own something with a billion options. But the AX8 can probably nail all the tones I want, isn't too much more expensive than any of the real amps, and if I decide I want to play something else in a few years it has me covered.

Pros: Does everything.

Cons: Does too much. I'll drown in a sea of configuration options.

If anyone has any experience with these, please let me know! Or if, based on these options, anything I haven't considered jumps out as an obvious alternative, I'd appreciate additional suggestions.

Gnumonic fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 13, 2019

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Gnumonic posted:

Cons: Reliability problems. Printed PCB.

I don't know if you are making a general statement about PCBs or this amp but if it's the former then I assure you just because something is on a PCB does not make it worse than point to point. Apologies if you already knew that this is just a particular thing that irks me when folks talk amps.

Get one of these:

https://reverb.com/p/marshall-jmp-1-preamp

Then one of these:

https://reverb.com/item/18367814-marshall-9200-200w-stereo-power-amp-dual-mono-block

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 13, 2019

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

It seems like there's a parts availability rabbit hole you could go down. Not that I care to make that journey.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I don't know if you are making a general statement about PCBs or this amp but if it's the former then I assure you just because something is on a PCB does not make it worse than point to point. Apologies if you already knew that this is just a particular thing that irks me when folks talk amps.

Get one of these:

https://reverb.com/p/marshall-jmp-1-preamp

Then one of these:

https://reverb.com/item/18367814-marshall-9200-200w-stereo-power-amp-dual-mono-block

I didn't mean to imply that printed PCB was junk, I've just seen a lot of reliability issues reported in reviews of that Marshall. I'm pretty sure the EVH and probably the Bogner are PCB too, I've just read that on that particular Marshall an iffy tube can scorch the pcb beyond repair.

Can the JMP preamp do downtuned high gain stuff? I probably wouldn't buy a separate power amp cuz I can use the DSL20 as one (I also own two different solid state power amps for various reasons).

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Gnumonic posted:

I didn't mean to imply that printed PCB was junk, I've just seen a lot of reliability issues reported in reviews of that Marshall. I'm pretty sure the EVH and probably the Bogner are PCB too, I've just read that on that particular Marshall an iffy tube can scorch the pcb beyond repair.

Can the JMP preamp do downtuned high gain stuff? I probably wouldn't buy a separate power amp cuz I can use the DSL20 as one (I also own two different solid state power amps for various reasons).

Ah yea ok. There are definitely PCB-based amps that are poorly designed such as that one.

Re: the JMP-1... I dunno, honestly. It's their competitor to ADA MP-1 so it sounds pretty great but you should dig into some reviews to see if you think it's for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpcKP7PNRK4

I use a Verellen preamp for, well, everything but I play mainly downtuned stuff and it's pretty loving great at that. I got a deal on it otherwise it can be a bit pricey for a preamp.

https://verellenamplifiers.bigcartel.com/product/meatsmoke-pre-amplifier

Matt Pike just won a Grammy and the Soldano Supercharger GTO has always been his secret sauce:

https://reverb.com/item/1377280-soldano-supercharger-gto

Honestly though I might just contact a reputable custom builder like Brooks Blackhawk:

https://blackhawkamplifiers.bigcartel.com/products

If you email him and tell him what you are looking for he'll make you a PTP preamp and or a full amp for a super reasonable price and his poo poo CRUSHES for downtuned and high gain stuff. Also happens to be a very kind and decent dude.

Here's a custom 2ch pre he did a while back:

First channel is modeled on a Hiwatt for cleans and the second channel is a Matamp GT120. I don't know why the picture is in black and white.

His own unique preamp is here and is also badass: https://blackhawkamplifiers.bigcartel.com/product/ragnarok-tube-preamp-pedal

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 13, 2019

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
It is definitely weird to see this gear talked about today.

There were so many ways to split up the pre- and power-amp sections back then. The ADA MP-1 was the "it" module at the time. MESA/Boogie had the Tri-axis and it really under-performed for the price. The JMP-1 was just garbage, though it was pretty. The Marshall 50/50 was really pretty but it was not popular enough to populate a rack.
The JMP9001 was a little more interesting but it was weak and thin-sounding, while the 9004 was all solid-state but it was a lot more usable and much fatter.
The power amps were the Peavey classic 60 (mono) followed by the Classic 50/50 which was the best power amp of the day. MESA came out with the 20:90, and it was too expensive.

There was so much gear coming out to challenge the tube head/tube combo back then. There was a reason you needed a Rocktron HushIIcx or a BBE Sonic Maximizer. Alesis Quadraverb, A.R.T. Multiverb whatever, Digitech 24-bit DSP, tc electronic whatever you could afford, Ultra-harmonizer go gently caress yourself lol, ENGL, VHT, Soldano, the list goes on an on.

The issue then was not PCB vs. hand-wired. We weren't even talking about tubes. Imagine that!

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Ok wow, lots of options, thanks for that, bunch of stuff to think about.

Do you know if the Verellen/Blackhawk preamps are *true* preamps? I.e. whether they're meant to be run into an FX return or power amp, not the front of the amp? Asking because I've had a few "preamp" pedals that were obviously designed to run into the front of an amp, and those generally sound like trash run into the FX return/a power amp.

Maybe I should do the rack thing. I already have a rack mount power conditioner and all the best EQs are rack mount...

Edit: When I say I want something that does Death Metal, I don't mean like Nile or Necrophagist or technical ultra tight stuff. Think like 90s In Flames or Heartwork era Carcass at the heaviest. Probably not going to go any lower than B-standard any time soon.

Gnumonic fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 13, 2019

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

These are for reals preamps. The preamp tubes inside are getting a full 250v pounding. They have their own dedicated power supplies.

Also, Faustus, I’m so down with that “old school” preamp/power amp modular life. Lol

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh god: For like a year, I tried to get a JMP-1 to work with like 4 different Power Amps to sound adequate live and reduce my live foot-print. It sorta worked in the studio, but it never panned out for a live setting because, say it with me now:

Dr. Faustus posted:

The JMP-1 was just garbage, though it was pretty.
After that one year, I decide to ride it out for the rest of the band's existence with either the Mesa Mark IV or my old-rear end JCM800 for most live scenarios for traveling outside my state while carrying my few pedals in a backpack and whatever other amps I had at hand for local/state gigs.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gnumonic posted:

Edit: When I say I want something that does Death Metal, I don't mean like Nile or Necrophagist or technical ultra tight stuff. Think like 90s In Flames or Heartwork era Carcass at the heaviest. Probably not going to go any lower than B-standard any time soon.

peavey rockmaster

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Muppets On PCP posted:

peavey rockmaster
Surprisingly, this could actually work! Whichever YouTube guitarist that fancy themselves a tone-meister might recommend something more expensive to keep it "tight" or "let it breathe", but remember that at the end of the day, like half the guitars you hear in Slaughter of the Soul were done by running 2 Boss Metal Zone pedals with slightly different settings, Chuck Schuldiner used Marshall Valvestates and a lovely Gallien Krueger. Sometimes cheap gear works just fine.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Feb 13, 2019

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Solid state is really good for metal even though I don’t like to admit it. Read the words of our beautiful soft shred boy Hugh Myrone:

http://geargods.net/editorials/why-solid-state-amps-are-better-than-tube-for-metal/

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hell, Solid State is pretty good for cleans as well! My 2nd favorite amp for cleans is a Roland Jazz Chorus and, AFAIK, they've always been both solid state and take a beating quite well.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Wark Say posted:

Sometimes cheap gear works just fine.

yep, and there's always the boss gx700/marshall 9100 route for maximum bolt thrower

Waldstein Sonata
Feb 19, 2013

Gnumonic posted:

3) EVH 5150 50 Watt (Either EL34 or 6L6) -- Not strictly a modded Marshall, but should get close enough for classic metal.

Pros: I'm 100% confident the red channel will do death metal super well, and I love the way harmonics jump out of these amps. Has enough gain.

Cons: Can't decide between the EL34 or 6L6 version. Not sure if either can nail the Yngwie/classic metal tones I want. El34 version sounds very different in different demos.

I have an EL34 EVH 5150 100 watt, so I'll focus on the overall sound of the amp and not the volume/headroom differences between the two. I've played the 6L6 version in addition to my EL34 version and the main difference to my ears is tightness in that that low/low-mid thump that you get when playing at volume through a 412. I tend to play my amp through a Torpedo Live for the sake of my hearing and not getting evicted so I don't feel that loss. If you're going to record through the amp, it's also frequencies that are going to get brickwalled out to make space for the kick/bass, anyways. If you're playing really technical/wanky stuff that needs impossibly tight noise gating or whatever, the 6L6 gives an edge, but the EL34 is still a very tight amp. Caveat: I use an overdrive to further shape the tone of the amp so, if you're just going straight in, the 6L6 probably feels more pronounced in terms of how much it pulls together.

I find it a great amp for metal from the mid-90s through the present because of its precision and voicing. For more classic Marshall thrash or NWBHM tones, I switch over to a Splawn Quickrod for a modded JCM800 sound. By itself, the 5150 can sound really great playing something like Ride the Lightning but if you're a bedroom player who mostly learns songs and plays along to recordings (like me), the 5150 sounds really out of place played against those old Marshall tones. You don't quite get that bit of wooliness and pick attack sound that you hear on classic Maiden/Priest/Slayer/etc. I'm not trying to dissuade you from the 5150, just understand that it has its own character that is much more modern than the older Marshall metal tones.

tl;dr the 5150 owns but it ain't a Marshall, so make sure you're buying it because you want a 5150

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Gnumonic posted:

I mostly play metal, but I play a pretty wide variety of metal. Right now I'm on a neoclassical binge so I want an amp that can do the Plexi/Yngwie thing on one channel, but that isn't to flubby or congested for downtuned death metal on the drive channel. Clean cleans are a plus but not really required. Since I'm running through a reactive load wattage doesn't really matter either way. (As in: I'm going to crank the gently caress out of these regardless of wattage and if I need to bring them to a jam I'll grab a FRFR and run through that) Budget is $1000-1500, willing to buy used.

Engl Invader.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Hey Gnu check out the OR15 that I always talk about. It’s not a traditional Orange so don’t worry if you’re thinking that. You might be able to save some money if you like it. It has an incredible old school metal tone and has more gain than you’ll ever need. All it needs for modern metal is a boost/the right pickups. It’s incredibly versatile for such a simple amp. The EQ is great.

Wark Say posted:

Hell, Solid State is pretty good for cleans as well! My 2nd favorite amp for cleans is a Roland Jazz Chorus and, AFAIK, they've always been both solid state and take a beating quite well.

That classic metallica clean is all JC afaik. Owns.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Wark Say posted:

What's your first? Cuz the cleans I hear off those JCs gives me gas.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I'm as big a Jazz Chorus fan as anyone, but I don't think it'd be the right amp for downtuned death metal. Doesn't really have the low end for it, and I'm not sure how long the speakers would stand for it.

I was under the impression he was looking more for an amp that will do the metal sounds on its own than a clean pedal platform.

Didn't think about it, but a Laney AOR would probably work. No shortage of low end. Con: fiddly until you learn to dial it in.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Oh yeah definitely don’t get a JC for highish gain stuff. I was just posting about it because the general topic of solid state for metal came up.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

The Muppets On PCP posted:

peavey rockmaster
CORRECT

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry for the digression. Yeah, the Jazz Chorus is an awesome guitar amp for cleans and pedal platform in general, but I wouldn't use it for down-tuned Death Metal unless I had no choice and had to use my multi fx. Maybe if it's something kinda... I dunno, Alcest-esque maybe?

Philthy posted:

What's your first? Cuz the cleans I hear off those JCs gives me gas.
A 2x12 Fender Twin Reverb; hear me out, because despite what that might imply, I am not a purist with regards to good tones, plus it has a ton of downsides:
  • Last I checked the weight, it was slightly under 90 pounds; so it's a pain in the rear end to carry, to the point that I haven't gigged with it outside the tri-state area in 10+ years.
  • It can be unruly as gently caress (like if I forget to bring my attenuator for anything other than live use? fuhgeddaboudit)
  • It attracts every gear-stealing scumfuck in a 12 mile radius, so when I set it on stage, I often immediately take the caster wheels off.
Matter of fact, for practical purposes, I have a Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 Plus 1x12 combo which basically does like 90% of the Twin Reverb sound at well under half the weight and with a quarter of the wattage, but whenever I have a recording session where whoever guitar player I'm recording needs a specific "silky smooth" clean, nothing beats the goddamn thing. So, for cleans, my big three right now are:
  1. Fender Twin Reverb
  2. Roland JC-120
  3. Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 Plus
I've been trying like the dickens to find another Blues Jr. that's up to snuff after the good ol' Doc up here got me curious about it when he gave us the down and dirty about his modded one (and I think the one his dad modded? Can't recall), but so far nothing has panned out on that front. :(

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also, and sorry for double-posting, but to bring the topic back to what Gnumonic asked about :

Kilometers Davis posted:

Hey Gnu check out the OR15 that I always talk about. It’s not a traditional Orange so don’t worry if you’re thinking that. You might be able to save some money if you like it. It has an incredible old school metal tone and has more gain than you’ll ever need. All it needs for modern metal is a boost/the right pickups. It’s incredibly versatile for such a simple amp. The EQ is great.
Check this one head. It's legit insane how good this head is for metal. If you cannot find any OR15 for a reasonable price, I'd also recommend you to check the Jet City JCA22 head. They're like 300-350 new or mint in Reverb and they're crazy good as well.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to get reacquainted with my Blues Jr. later this month, and I can't wait.

I did the mods successfully, then promptly killed it (via overheating) trying to record the "after" clips of the amp. Melted the potting in the power transformer and shorted it out. I needed my dad to diagnose the issue, and when he determined the pt was fried I drop-shipped him an upgraded replacement. He installed it and burned in all new glass for me, and he LOVES it.

My take on the clean sound is that it's really really beautiful as long as you don't want that Blackface Super Reverb singing sustaining sound. You know, SRV territory. It won't go there without making this awful splatting noise. My dad built two tweed Twins and a Deluxe, and I can say for certain the Twins are better than Fender spec and they splat in exactly the same way as my Blues Jr., so it gets it honest.

I'll come back with a report later. But if you are looking for that singing Super sound, the Blues Jr. won't do that, at least in the stock EL84 mode. I can't speak to the 6V6 setup. The gain sound, on the other hand, is superb. The mods do a lot to open up the low-end of the thing since it's a little 12" combo, but the transformer can give you an external speaker out which I imagine is just the tits.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

There's some dude in russia making what appear to be pretty dope preamp clones of famous amps you like.

http://myasnikov-custom.com

Dude I know bought the JCM-800 modded one and it was loving awesome. I'd love to try the Soldano poo poo.

Also hell yea Peavey Rockmaster. I mean while we're there let's just go ahead and talk about the VTM 120 and Butcher as indispensable metal amps.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Huge fan of this amp. Random YouTube vid that seems to actually do it justice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdLJnSgFIek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
all the lee jackson ampegs are top notch

their crowning achievement of course is the vh140c. for when you need a jc-120 clean but also lovely 90s death metal