Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Neat, but the geometry seems excessive!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cYn
Apr 1, 2008

cubicle gangster posted:

You just take photos from every angle. I usually do 3 rings of height and aim to get 12-15 photos each ring. No guides or tripods needed if you're capturing it in neutral light.

Yeah shoot low, middle, top, overlapping images, diffused light. 145 pictures for that one. That mesh is indeed excessive, I haven't done anything to it to clean it up. I might 3d print it for fun.

I've been messing with photogrammetry for about 15 years, it's getting better. Did this one to see where the software is currently at, as I'm going to attempt to scan a friend in for her wedding cake topper... But single camera photogrammetry with people is almost impossible, they always move. So will probably just do her head and sculpt a body.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Gearman is the resident photogrammetry expert. The excessive geometry lasts only until you retopologize and bake it down. It's a pretty fascinating process, but finicky unless you can get a solid set up.

I wanna set up a head scanning rig and begin capturing my friends and aquaintences like some kind of soul collector.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

cubicle gangster posted:

You just take photos from every angle. I usually do 3 rings of height and aim to get 12-15 photos each ring. No guides or tripods needed if you're capturing it in neutral light.

whats the software chain you use?

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

If you're interested in playing around with photogrammetry, there's some decent, free, software for it called Meshroom: https://alicevision.github.io/

The other big, popular, photogrammetry software packages are Agisoft Metashape (formerly named 'Photoscan') and RealityCapture.

If you're just playing around for fun, you can take photos with any old camera and drop the jpgs in to any of those software packages. When you start being serious about things, you'll need to shoot in raw with a color checker, and have software to color correct those raw images. e.g. Camera Raw, or Lightroom.

You'll probably need to retopo or remesh the resultant scan afterwards. Zbrush is great for remeshing and cleanup, InstaLOD is great at generating fast, lower poly, versions. Mudbox is also really solid for scan cleanup, too.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Perfect time for this discussion. I'm actually going to do some photogrammetry for this statue:

I think it's total height is 33 feet.

This will not be for production use... Just some previz work for something we're actually going to shoot. So pixel perfect presentation isn't necessary.

I'm guessing just breaking out the drone is, obviously, the only real solution here. Anyone have any experience doing this with a drone? It's an older Phantom 3 Pro but should good enough.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

As long as you can get stable photos, it should be fine. I used a drone to scan quarries and cliffs and the results were pretty good. You probably won't get really fine details that you would with a tripod and DSLR, but you should get a decent enough mesh.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

echinopsis posted:

whats the software chain you use?

Photoscan - I only just learned about its name change here, I should update it...
We proxy the high res geometry and convert the maps to .TX, that's all the optimising we need.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Can you do photogrammetry at all if you don't have full 360 degrees access to the subject?

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Yes, you just won't get a complete model.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Gearman posted:

Yes, you just won't get a complete model.

You'd just be missing the part that corresponds to the arc of missing photos, right? Like if the back 45 degrees of exposure were obstructed, you'd get a model that looks ok unless you rotate back to that missing 45 degrees?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Listerine posted:

You'd just be missing the part that corresponds to the arc of missing photos, right? Like if the back 45 degrees of exposure were obstructed, you'd get a model that looks ok unless you rotate back to that missing 45 degrees?

Yes, because as far as the program is concerned, anything not photographed doesn't exist.
Depending on the model you could of course just fill in the missing details by modelling it yourself. Like mirroring the geo, etc.

The programs build a pointcloud based on details they recognize between images, and extrapolates position based on that. There's no kind of ai or extrapolator that can generate missing data. (Though I'm sure that'll come in the future. )
The same goes for any information that can't be reliably corroborated; they rely on having a decent bit of overlap between images to estimate camera position, and point locations. (So if you only took 1 image of the back, it would be useless for anything other than reference for you.)

Photogrammetry programs don't have to create a solid/watertight mesh, if that's what you're worried about.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 11, 2019

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

SubNat posted:

Photogrammetry programs don't have to create a solid/watertight mesh, if that's what you're worried about.

To be fair, you'd have to be some kind of wizard to make a closed mesh with photogrammetry.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Handiklap posted:

To be fair, you'd have to be some kind of wizard to make a closed mesh with photogrammetry.

Very fair, though with smaller objects you could probably do that by suspending them with fishing line (or any other clear wire. ). Provided you had a place to set it up.

Or just flip them over and align a couple markers + trim excess points, though that's a lot of tedious busywork.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

You can also crop your photos to just the object and take some of it turned over.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Handiklap posted:

If your masking is good enough, it's very doable. All of the scans on my page here are closed mesh and almost entirely "right out of the box" (materials were tweaked for VRay rendering): https://www.artstation.com/artwork/YaLy1q

You don't need string or anything fancy, really. A turntable and clean background are usually good enough to make the process fast and reliable. Agisoft Metashape even has a turntable processing mode now, making it even easier to scan and mask for a turntable-based setup.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Quick update on that flying monkey. C n C welcome!

Gearman posted:

Agisoft Metashape even has a turntable processing mode now, making it even easier to scan and mask for a turntable-based setup.

FINALLY! Photoscan pretty much required masking to work with a turntable / daisy wheel previously.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Feb 12, 2019

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-
I put together a little audio visual thing, I really like the way it turned out.

https://vimeo.com/310164693

Still:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

sigma 6 posted:

Quick update on that flying monkey. C n C welcome!

FINALLY! Photoscan pretty much required masking to work with a turntable / daisy wheel previously.

wicked the castle reminds me of the kind of stuff I see in https://twitter.com/70sscifiart?lang=en its sweet man

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

dumb. posted:

I put together a little audio visual thing, I really like the way it turned out.

Still:

it's good I liked that a lot actually

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You left it too long, its about nuns on monowheels now

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Synthbuttrange posted:

With twin radial motors?? :getin:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

dumb. posted:

Still:

I like that one and the other too. It's like the next logical extension of tumbler.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos

Synthbuttrange posted:

Wtf, is this a genre I've never heard of? Various animals and humans on monowheels in rocky desert space scenes?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
wheelwave is already dead the kids are all about monocore now

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Slothful Bong posted:

Wtf, is this a genre I've never heard of? Various animals and humans on monowheels in rocky desert space scenes?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Synthbuttrange posted:

I’m the smiling thingie with shades on bottom right

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

echinopsis posted:

wicked the castle reminds me of the kind of stuff I see in https://twitter.com/70sscifiart?lang=en its sweet man

I love 70s sci fi art. The architecture is based on russian constructivism. Specifically Yakov Chernikhov's stuff.

That nun pic is hysterical. I gotta step up my game. lol
... but seriously, I am really struggling with making the thing more "modern". It is supposed to be "utopian" themed. The "emerald city" in the background is the only thing that looks vaguely utopian IMO. Wondering if I should up the tech level on the monowheel or monkey but I am not sure how. Added a HUD display to his glasses and a fin / rudder to monowheel but I feel like it needs much more. Considering adding a gas mask to the monkey but that obscures the face too much and the cigar chomping look is kinda badass, albeit retro.

bring back old gbs posted:

wheelwave is already dead the kids are all about monocore now

*snort*

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 13, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

she'd better tie up that goddamned habit or it's just gonna get sucked into the mechanism

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
What software solutions are there for controlling a 3D scan rig that comprises of multiple dSLRs or other types of cameras? I've only found Pi3DScan which seems rather jank.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Fragrag posted:

What software solutions are there for controlling a 3D scan rig that comprises of multiple dSLRs or other types of cameras? I've only found Pi3DScan which seems rather jank.

How many cameras are you using?

If you're just looking to trigger cameras, Digicam is free and good: http://digicamcontrol.com/download

If you're looking for paid software, there's Multi-Camera from BreezeSys: https://breezesys.com/MultiCamera/ However, it is very expensive, and Digicam can pretty much do everything it can do. I've used both in a production environment and I much prefer DigiCam.

There really isn't much else if you're looking for more robust software solutions. Most rigs either use custom software because every hand-built rig is kind of unique (Python can handle the job) or it's an all-in-one pre-built rig and accompanying software to control it and manage the photos.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

working on an original battle rifle inspired by 70's/80's designs

Kanine fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Feb 14, 2019

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Gearman posted:

How many cameras are you using?

If you're just looking to trigger cameras, Digicam is free and good: http://digicamcontrol.com/download

If you're looking for paid software, there's Multi-Camera from BreezeSys: https://breezesys.com/MultiCamera/ However, it is very expensive, and Digicam can pretty much do everything it can do. I've used both in a production environment and I much prefer DigiCam.

There really isn't much else if you're looking for more robust software solutions. Most rigs either use custom software because every hand-built rig is kind of unique (Python can handle the job) or it's an all-in-one pre-built rig and accompanying software to control it and manage the photos.

I was thinking of the rig we used at my last work which had around fourty cameras and all the issues we had. I have some free time now and I was brainstorming the feasability a more robust solution as an open source project.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Redshift has been on sale for a week, it's $100 off for a node-locked license, sale ends tomorrow.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
-never mind, I'm an idiot and figured it out.

Listerine fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Feb 16, 2019

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Anyone here sell assets on stores? i.e. turbosquid, sketchfab, etc?
Multiple ones especially? how do they stack up in terms of ease of use, sales, income?

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

A wall at the edge of Oz (?)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

That poo poo owns

Are you gonna put fur on the guy? Or something else

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

That poo poo owns

Are you gonna put fur on the guy? Or something else

Yeah - fur and jacket are coming. Also maybe a redesign of the monowheel. Many have pointed out it feels too present day / old for a futuristic take on Oz.
Quick "clay render" in keyshot. I think the fur is probably too long ATM.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Looks s bit more like grass than fur, maybe cause it’s too even.