Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Donovan Trip posted:

They will never ever sell the IP because they don't need the money and it's where they haphazardly test all their ideas. "Can we do a voiced protagonist? Can we do multiplayer in this engine? Can we make a cellphone game?" Etc.

I hadn't thought of this. Although, I suspect that unless they make drastic changes the next Fallout will be the last.

And Skyrim will get ported to the next three generations of console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Do we know how it sold?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

2house2fly posted:

Do we know how it sold?

Bethesda hasn't been crowing about it so it is completely safe to assume it bombed.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
Wasn't it the german stores who were handing out free copies of 76 along with purchases of ps4s, xbones, milk, eggs, etc. So I'm gonna guess not well at all.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

ad090 posted:

Wasn't it the german stores who were handing out free copies of 76 along with purchases of ps4s, xbones, milk, eggs, etc. So I'm gonna guess not well at all.

Pretty sure they gave it out with the purchase of a used controller lol

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

2house2fly posted:

Do we know how it sold?

It barely made it into the top 20 of US monthly sales a month after release.

Pretty sure 4 stayed in the top 10 for months.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
1.4 million digital sales during the holidays, of course sales slow after Christmas so there are maybe 4 million copies sold? That might be generous

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I swear there were (maybe mistakenly) published numbers at some point and it was like an order of magnitude less than fallout 4

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Fallom posted:

Bethesda hasn't been crowing about it so it is completely safe to assume it bombed.

They cheaped out on development, charged full price on their own digital platform, and have a cash shop. Even if it bombed it still likely made money.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Doesn't really matter if it made money, in corporate nonsense land all that matters is growth. Even growth is mediocre if it's not better growth than last time. Basically, we can hold out hope the pip boy will be taken out back and old yellered

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
It was leaked that fallout 76 had no sales goal, which is unheard of. There basically was no fail scenario for the game. It probably cost little to make since it reuses numerous assets, they spent a lot on ads though

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

execs and devs: "we're making a test game that's going to expand our capabilities for future games, we're making it on a shoestring budget and expecting to break even, but it will set us up for a bright future with all future products"

shareholders: "ok"

*game bombs / barely breaks even*

shareholders: "what the gently caress it isn't successful"

shares drop 30%

we live in a world where tech stocks dump 20% on GOOD news

khy
Aug 15, 2005

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/37417

Many thanks to Tenzarin for the image!

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

execs and devs: "we're making a test game that's going to expand our capabilities for future games, we're making it on a shoestring budget and expecting to break even, but it will set us up for a bright future with all future products"

shareholders: "ok"

*game bombs / barely breaks even*

shareholders: "what the gently caress it isn't successful"

shares drop 30%

we live in a world where tech stocks dump 20% on GOOD news

Bethesda is largely privately funded by (for real) Donald Trump's brother

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Donovan Trip posted:

Bethesda is largely privately funded by (for real) Donald Trump's brother

Sucking at business runs in the family

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

khy posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/37417

Many thanks to Tenzarin for the image!

Great, now the next step to gain access to the mod forums of the nexus to complain how my hard photoshop work is being profited from.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

Great, now the next step to gain access to the mod forums of the nexus to complain how my hard photoshop work is being profited from.

Wait, I'm supposed to be making a profit from this? gently caress, why didn't anyone tell me?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Donovan Trip posted:

It was leaked that fallout 76 had no sales goal, which is unheard of. There basically was no fail scenario for the game. It probably cost little to make since it reuses numerous assets, they spent a lot on ads though

That was definitely a damage control lie. There is literally no way Bethesda spent years of development time across multiple studios and hundreds of people with no sales goal in mind.

I guarantee you if the game had done well suddenly Bethesda would have had a target that it blew away.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I can't find a source for the rumour about the no sales goals but I distinctly remember reading it as well. Doing some searching now though FO76 apparently was the fourth best selling game in November 2018 according to NPD group based on their physical sales(though the numbers have gaps in them and their accuracy is questionable). That also put it as one of the better selling Fallout games at launch, out doing even Fallout 3 somehow. The first 2 and Tactics are pretty drat niche, were PC only and came from an era where video games weren't so mainstream so it's not surprising it beat them out.

The fact that there are now so many spare copies laying around that retailers literally cannot give them away is telling on how well the sales kept up, however. edit: also the ~80% reduction in price before the end of the year, too.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
iirc the no sales goal leaked pre release from inside Austin with a warning of "you should wait a while on buying this game"

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
It has always been about beta testing a way to add multiplayer to their games. Multiplayers Elder Scrolls is their end game. I also expect base building and junk collection to be added into elder scrolls. Oh, and launching their own platform.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 13, 2019

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Too bad the damage it did to their brand, their Bethesda game platform, faith in even their loving ability to deliver goods or not gently caress up customer support was completely ruined by a "game that never had expectation to sell itself".

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Fallom posted:

That was definitely a damage control lie. There is literally no way Bethesda spent years of development time across multiple studios and hundreds of people with no sales goal in mind.

I guarantee you if the game had done well suddenly Bethesda would have had a target that it blew away.

Knowing the modern gaming industry, “failed to meet expectations” seems more likely.

But hey, that’s what it did anyway!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah but what and how many expectations did this puppy fail to deliver on?

Failure to turn a profit? Mmm, could be! Particularly with them making extra bags and loving that up and stores desperately trying to shove this poo poo out the door anyway they can, even if its "free". No game company is happy when games fail to meet figure expectations even with they succeeded to sell several million. A sudden no sale quota is unheard of, even for Bethesda games until 76. Particularly when as has been stated a billion times before, Bethesda games typically sell gang busters even when they are poo poo.

Failure to be a Fallout? There's lot of shiity MP games out there, but this was to be an online fallout - something or other. And it can't handle too many items, too many crafted settlements and ultimately, is just a sandbox you're supposed to nuke to generate content. And the server can't even handle 3 nukes going off at once. Its kind of proof that a regular Bethesda style fallout can't hack it online. A fallout shelter style game where you can invade other settlements with your characters, maybe. But with no interest paid in making an actual functional server that can handle the load people put into this as well as Minecraft? Not happening, buster pip.

Failure to be Multiplayer? It would have pushed less copies, and suffered a lot less animosity if this was just some new IP no one gave a gently caress about like Brink. Remember Brink? Course ya don't. Neither does Bethesda nor ZeniMAX. But Brink was a lot like Fallout, end of the world setting but living on giant ships because the earth's flooded. Game built from the ground up for multiplayer, basically played like a violent and less good Splatoon. Never managed to sell more than 2.5 million, went Free-to-Play 2 years ago and no one really raised a stink over that because by that point, most people moved onto something else. That was a dumb experiment into having a multiplayer game.

76? This can't even seemingly admit sales numbers for base copies, yet throws out a "oh we don't look at numbers, c'mon now"; let alone micro-transaction sales for A FALLOUT GAME. THIS IS THE SAME COMPANY THAT CROWED ABOUT MAKING 5.1 MILLION IN TWO WEEKS FROM FALLOUT SHELTER, A REAL GAME THEY JUST FARTED OUT FOR PEOPLE TO WAIT UNTIL 4.They couldn't even keep the actor for rick and morty to stick to a script and sell this turd. Obsidian is now trying to do a PR move for a game they will never touch and a franchise Todd will never let them go near again.

Fallout 76 is a total fuckshow that Bethesda now just wants to forget, except it can't. Because this is a Fallout game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Also, important to note that even if it had no sales quota and therefore was essentially risk-free, poor sales are still gonna look bad to investors who after all are still going to expect it to sell some large amount regardless of profitability. and they know the brand has a value and that value has been lost, and maybe even value in bethesda products in future has been lost.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I can't find a source for the rumour about the no sales goals but I distinctly remember reading it as well. Doing some searching now though FO76 apparently was the fourth best selling game in November 2018 according to NPD group based on their physical sales(though the numbers have gaps in them and their accuracy is questionable). That also put it as one of the better selling Fallout games at launch, out doing even Fallout 3 somehow. The first 2 and Tactics are pretty drat niche, were PC only and came from an era where video games weren't so mainstream so it's not surprising it beat them out.

The fact that there are now so many spare copies laying around that retailers literally cannot give them away is telling on how well the sales kept up, however. edit: also the ~80% reduction in price before the end of the year, too.

Again, it went from #4 to #20 the following month. It is worthh mentioning, like you said, their digital copies aren't included and that is a significant portion of sales, but it's still clear the game cratered.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Again, it went from #4 to #20 the following month. It is worthh mentioning, like you said, their digital copies aren't included and that is a significant portion of sales, but it's still clear the game cratered.

i think they just assumed it would have a smaller market and budgeted accordingly; doubt they imagined it'd be a disaster or that reviewers would actually dare to criticize it. now it's a crisis

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

corn in the bible posted:

i think they just assumed it would have a smaller market and budgeted accordingly; doubt they imagined it'd be a disaster or that reviewers would actually dare to criticize it. now it's a crisis

"What the gently caress?! People actually talk to each other??!!"

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
It very much feels like they wanted a quick buck and knew that people would buy anything with the Fallout name on it.

I guess that'll work once.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
As long as anyone still pre-orders anything, I think you're giving gamers too much credit. People love getting excited and brands they know and hate waiting, and they won't let getting fooled once or twice or fourteen times get in their way of that.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Sometimes individuals are burned into behaving at least nominally better in the future. Other times, the internet shits on a product for so long (and the company/product remains poo poo), the meme lingers on until maybe this sentiment possibly hurts Fallout 5.

John Q Buys Videogames is stupid, yes, but is also typically vindictive and angry. And nothing lingers in their mind quite like a gently caress Konami, The Xbox One is the third Xbox or Jack Thompson is here to take away your copy of San Andreas

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

This game probably hasn’t affected Beth nearly as bad as some are making it out to be. It sold decently if not great and has so many reused assets that the entire game was probably built within a year. So don’t worry folks! There’s still zero reason for Bethsoft to change their winning formula of cardboard npcs, terrible plot hole ridden stories, zero choices or consequence and now the glory of paid mods.

Joking aside it’s actually sad for me. I loved Morrowind and greatly enjoyed Oblivion and Skyrim. I also was super into Fallout 3 (before New Vegas showed up and made it look terrible) and it wasn’t until Fallout 4 where I actually went “oh gently caress they got rid of every meaningful way to interact with the world aside from combat.” Id hoped Witcher 3 would’ve inspired game devs to put more love and care in their products and I was entirely too naive.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

RoadCrewWorker posted:

As long as anyone still pre-orders anything, I think you're giving gamers too much credit. People love getting excited and brands they know and hate waiting, and they won't let getting fooled once or twice or fourteen times get in their way of that.

See : literally everything Ubisoft makes.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

No Mods No Masters posted:

Basically, we can hold out hope the pip boy will be taken out back and old yellered

:(

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

rickiep00h posted:

"What the gently caress?! People actually talk to each other??!!"

Real life, much like Fallout 76, does not have a "push to chat" button to block voice chat.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 13, 2019

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

K8.0 posted:

Let's be fair to Ubisoft: they have never made something this lovely.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

K8.0 posted:

Ubisoft has a whole catalog of once popular series that became brands that were too toxic to ever make another game again.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
fallout 76 is still the #1 seller on the bethesda store

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar

chaosapiant posted:

Joking aside it’s actually sad for me. I loved Morrowind and greatly enjoyed Oblivion and Skyrim. I also was super into Fallout 3 (before New Vegas showed up and made it look terrible) and it wasn’t until Fallout 4 where I actually went “oh gently caress they got rid of every meaningful way to interact with the world aside from combat.” Id hoped Witcher 3 would’ve inspired game devs to put more love and care in their products and I was entirely too naive.

Man, this is me as well except I felt that way with Skyrim initially. I warmed up to it later (after years of modding) but the simplification of the series really disappointed me initially.

Starfield is gonna be a decent litmus test of how people feel about beth I think. A new IP from the actual BGS crew with the same open world style, it will be interesting to see how Fallout 4 and 76 affect its initial sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

BillyC posted:

A new IP from the actual BGS crew with the same open world style

do we know that?