Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

tzirean posted:

Who the gently caress dumps Con?

It me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I think I have one character with con > 10 :smugwizard:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

tzirean posted:

Who the gently caress dumps Con?

Who the gently caress cares if somebody else dumps Con? They get hit, it's their problem, and at least the problem's based on a choice they made instead of on someone getting unlucky with rolls.

:sever:

I do every game because I know how to operate around relatively low hp.

But I've been ratfucked pretty royally by this NGL.

Also please don't pull the sever bullshit. It's not helpful and even though I know it's intended in a light heated manner it's more likely to elicit a response in defense of my friends rather than find a solution under the distressing I have.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Natural 20 posted:

I do every game because I know how to operate around relatively low hp.

But I've been ratfucked pretty royally by this NGL.

Also please don't pull the sever bullshit. It's not helpful and even though I know it's intended in a light heated manner it's more likely to elicit a response in defense of my friends rather than find a solution under the distressing I have.

Real Answer: you're hosed, there's literally no saving a character that's gotten 3 HP in 3 levels basically. The character will be hosed for at least several more levels and the only actual hope you have of being functional is to get lucky on those HP rolls, if they also go poorly, you just get more hosed. If you're dedicated to staying with the group, retire this character and make a new one and hope you get lucky with HP rolls.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

GoGoGadget posted:

I'd like some character advice, if possible. This is my first D&D character. Playing Rise of Tiamat as an Oath of the Ancients Paladin, just hit level 12. Our party started in Hoard of the Dragon Queen with just a Paladin, Rogue and Monk, but now we have a Paladin, Rogue, Monk, Warlock and Bard. Problem is the Bard took zero healing spells so I'm both the party "tank" and healer, while also having to do decent damage.

My current stats are 20 Strength, 12 Dexterity, 14 Constitution, 10 Intelligence, 12 Wisdom and 20 Charisma, so I think I'm good on ability scores. Because of that, I'm looking into what feats would be worth taking. I have a +1 longsword and a shield with no other backup weapons besides a silvered Lance. Dueling Fighting Style. Seems we're fighting a lot of Dragons recently, so I was thinking maybe Resilient for the proficiency in Dex saves or Shield Master for the evasion-lite. I liked the idea of knocking creatures prone before attacking them too, but apparently Jeremy Crawford said you can't do it that way.

Are either of these good or should I maybe look into something else?

Inspiring Leader for a big party-wide TempHP buff every short rest.
Polearm Master for use with a Spear or Quarterstaff; since both Dueling FS and Improved Divine Smite apply to the Bonus Action attack, that's a significant increase to your offense (30% round to round, plus whatever reaction attacks you proc) and in the form of an additional chance to crit for smites.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I don't think spear is actually included in PAM, despite being functionally identical to quarter staffs except for piercing vs blunt

Could always house rule if not AL

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

I don't think spear is actually included in PAM, despite being functionally identical to quarter staffs except for piercing vs blunt

Could always house rule if not AL

It was added in the latest errata

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Natural 20 posted:

I'm running an assassin rogue.

I'm level 3 going on level 4.

10, 16, 10, 13, 12, 16.

I've rolled 1 on hp 3 times including for my 4th level.

What do I do to mitigate this, given I'd set up for melee before my 1s.

Play your character the way you intended. Math is cruel and D&D doesn't care, so why should you?

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Oh good, makes total sense and now I shall change my Paladin Hexblade to a spear welder cuz that's way more on brand

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Mercer lets you reroll 1s on hp rolls, and it's one of the only Critrole mods I've adopted.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Rolling for HP clearly encourages dumping CON, and wearing light or no armor, and going to the front line of every battle regardless of character class, and going first in dungeon marching order without bothering to search for traps, and

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am of the type that says the players can do what they want in situations like rolling for HP. If they want to roll they can, if they want to take the average they can. But it should be their choice.
Anyway Nat, I would talk to the DM, to at least try and get the choice of rolling or not, and see if you can turn one of those 1's into average, so you are not utterly crippled.

After that hope you stumble on an amulet of health like one of my players old rogues. (Who gave him a - con mod, and was lucky that item showed up, cause it was a random treasure roll.)

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Kaysette posted:

I think I have one character with con > 10 :smugwizard:

how DARE you have fun the wrong way

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Mike Mearls is still covering for Zak S even now that Zak's a known loving rapist, jesus Mearls is a piece of poo poo:

https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/1095486649977384960

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

MonsterEnvy please don't even start.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

nooooooooooooooooope nope nope nope

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
yeah soooooo let's talk about anything else?

I need to get some new dice what's the new hotness in dice? anyone made those cool "die within transparent die" like they used to make the d100s in the old days, but d20s for advantage?

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 13, 2019

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Can you explain for the people who don't circlejerk to weird D&D celeb drama? That tweet sounds like he's giving the finger to Zak.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Infinite Karma posted:

Can you explain for the people who don't circlejerk to weird D&D celeb drama? That tweet sounds like he's giving the finger to Zak.
nope, feel free to read the OP then google it if you really need to and then to talk about it literally anywhere else

e: oh it's not in the OP anymore anyway explaining is talking about it so as was stated, nooooooope

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Infinite Karma posted:

Read this is you really want to know more about the history between them: http://failforward.co.uk/post/93348768153/how-dungeons-and-dragons-is-endorsing-the-darkest

This thread has been super good compared to the poopfest of the last one and there was a good reason Zak S chat was banned there.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kaysette posted:

Read this is you really want to know more about the history between them: http://failforward.co.uk/post/93348768153/how-dungeons-and-dragons-is-endorsing-the-darkest

This thread has been super good compared to the poopfest of the last one and there was a good reason Zak S chat was banned there.

Sadly it turned out he’s much, much worse than anyone thought: https://dungeonsdonuts.tumblr.com/post/182722330779/mandy-morbid-comes-forward-about-zak-s-violence

Mearls is Zak’s friend who hired him to consult on 5e, and has been covering for Zak and helping Zak’s harassment campaigns ever since. Now that Zak is publicly known as a rapist, a sexual and physical abuser, Mearls is offering up that non-apology to cover for Zak’s consultancy on 5e. The entire 5e product line is now tainted by a rapist and his defender. That’s loving gross.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Conspiratiorist posted:

Was not planning to. The thread has been good, no need to go into topics like that.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

It sucks being the only melee character in my group so I eat all the damage as the rest tend to blow their slots on ineffective moves.

I also wanted to play an heroic paladin, yet two of the players ended up with super shady characters from the demon worshiping nation from across the world, and 4 out of the party decided we should all join the SEEKING FORBIDDEN KNOWLEDGE guild.

Likely meaning there's going to be a lot of delving into dungeons and solving puzzles and such, but the party is rather passive so I'm the one that's actually leading the way, opening doors and coming up with solutions, with the others along for the ride until its time to read dark grimoires and make deals with devils.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am of the type that says the players can do what they want in situations like rolling for HP. If they want to roll they can, if they want to take the average they can. But it should be their choice.
Anyway Nat, I would talk to the DM, to at least try and get the choice of rolling or not, and see if you can turn one of those 1's into average, so you are not utterly crippled.

After that hope you stumble on an amulet of health like one of my players old rogues. (Who gave him a - con mod, and was lucky that item showed up, cause it was a random treasure roll.)

Conspiratiorist posted:

Wait, what is this post starting? Seems like a good recommendation.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

deathbagel posted:

Wait, what is this post starting? Seems like a good recommendation.

Heres referring to making sure Monsterenvy doesnt comment on the Zak S stuff that was just posted because last time he decided contacting Mike Mearls was a good idea.

Free Triangle
Jan 2, 2008

"This is no ordinary poster boy!
No ordinary poster!"

Conspiratiorist posted:

It sucks being the only melee character in my group so I eat all the damage as the rest tend to blow their slots on ineffective moves.

I also wanted to play an heroic paladin, yet two of the players ended up with super shady characters from the demon worshiping nation from across the world, and 4 out of the party decided we should all join the SEEKING FORBIDDEN KNOWLEDGE guild.

Likely meaning there's going to be a lot of delving into dungeons and solving puzzles and such, but the party is rather passive so I'm the one that's actually leading the way, opening doors and coming up with solutions, with the others along for the ride until its time to read dark grimoires and make deals with devils.

Solution: Burn the grimoires and murder the devils, you're the leader after all!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Conspiratiorist posted:

Smite the next one who makes a devil deal, and get a replacement melee character. (Don't actually do this.)

Anyway if you are the leader try seeing if you can lead them in a more favorable direction, and idealy talk to the players out of game about doing that as well.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 13, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Quote is not edit

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Natural 20 posted:

This isn't the appropriate way to roll for HP honestly. You should roll all your hit dice whenever you level up. If the total is higher than the previous total you take that value as your new max HP, if it is lower or equal increase your max HP by 1.

Rolling for HP is a bad idea, but if you're going to do it at least try to convince your group to do it the proper way.

Edit: Since you've already failed to do this 3 times you should roll 2dX, 3dX and 4dX and take the best result.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 13, 2019

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

DalaranJ posted:

This isn't the appropriate way to roll for HP honestly. You should roll all your hit dice whenever you level up. If the total is higher than the previous total you take that value as your new max HP, if it is lower or equal increase your max HP by 1.

Rolling for HP is a bad idea, but if you're going to do it at least try to convince your group to do it the proper way.

Edit: Since you've already failed to do this 3 times you should roll 2dX, 3dX and 4dX and take the best result.

This isnt really any better at all and also ignores that lvl 1 is max hit die so youre more likely going to lose out on this method.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Natural 20 posted:

I have and unfortunately the party and him agree that it discourages dumping con.

I'm confused about this tho. Like, assuming you don't go all-in on Con, the best most characters can hope for coming out of char gen is a +2 to con, so you'd have... I don't know, 6 more HP? I guess you could get hit twice?

Hm about the only thing you can do is:

* Start a new character. This shouldn't be too hard, since your character could die? So I guess just have fun with it, don't worry too much about death and just play normally. Who knows, maybe you'll survive and it'll be fun?

* Hope for a magic item that raises your con.

That's about it, barring convincing your group to change their mind.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nutsngum posted:

This isnt really any better at all and also ignores that lvl 1 is max hit die so youre more likely going to lose out on this method.

If this method is modified to assume that the 1st hit die is max, and then performs the other rolls, it does a very good job of smoothing out the randomness of the rolls and allowing a catchup for consecutive poor rolls while simultaneously dampening the advantage of consecutive great rolls. My DM has us roll for HP, and simultaneously rolls his own, and lets us choose from our known roll vs his hidden roll resulting in a pseudo-advantage roll. I've had 1 fighter level with a d10 roll and 4 subsequent rogue d8 rolls, and whenever I've rolled a 4 or lower, I've taken the DM roll and I've been lucky in that all of them have been above average and I have a max hp of 55 at level 6.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

JustJeff88 posted:

Sounds great, but did he receive any actual Triscuits?

Yes! The DM's girlfriend is the hostess and she was the instigator on getting me that dice bag while she got her own bag with kitties on it. We have a never ending platter of sliced sausages and cheeses and triscuits in the center of the table as well as your typical vegetable platters with ranch dips. We also have some pretty skilled cooks in the crowd as the druid brings his homemade beef jerky and I bring hand-held items as follows:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/08/curried-jamaican-beef-patties-recipe.html

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/07/the-food-lab-southern-fried-chicken-recipe.html ... but turned into chicken fingers by slicing strips of chicken breast instead of whole pieces.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bare bottom pancakes posted:

Your DM sounds amazing and I want to read more about this group

I'm a 1 fighter/5 rogue (swashbuckler) who was a spy for a now-disgraced house.

The DM's girlfriend is a 6th level Order Cleric of Bast (Vengence and Cats) which my character is also a follower of. She's only previously played 2e before.

Our Druid is a 6th level Moon Druid who I will charitably describe as not the most tactical of players ... he spent every round of a combat trying to use his entire spell pool to impede some mooks approaching him while another player had an illithid cracking through his skull and sucking his brain out .

Our tank is a 6th level fighter (battlemaster) dwarf with distracting attack, sweeping attack, and precision attack who has never played D&D of any sort before.

We also have a bard who is the 2nd character after the arcane archer got his brains sucked out by the illithid.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
I have nothing to say about Zak, but I worked with Mike Mearls about 20 years ago and he helped me get my first job in the industry, so I'm disappointed to see him go chud. :(

On-topic: I have a 12th-level Lore bard who's basically been the party healer up to this point, but this week a cleric joined the campaign and I'm thinking of branching out. Her backstory is leading me toward Warlock; is there anything I should know about the synergy of those classes to pull me toward or push me away from that combination?

(e: this may be dumb, but I may wait until 15 to switch just to get Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion from Bard at 14.)

SneezeOfTheDecade fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Feb 13, 2019

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Besesoth posted:

I have nothing to say about Zak, but I worked with Mike Mearls about 20 years ago and he helped me get my first job in the industry, so I'm disappointed to see him go chud. :(

On-topic: I have a 12th-level Lore bard who's basically been the party healer up to this point, but this week a cleric joined the campaign and I'm thinking of branching out. Her backstory is leading me toward Warlock; is there anything I should know about the synergy of those classes to pull me toward or push me away from that combination?

Hexblade is a nice one-level dip if you want to beef up your bard for melee combat; medium armor and shield proficiency does a lot for your AC, and Hex Warrior usually adds some weight to your hits, on top of picking up the Blade cantrips for extra melee oomph.

The other dip choice for getting some extra melee power is paladin; you also gain medium armor and shield proficiency (but not heavy - you have to start in paladin for that), and the second gets you Smites, which is the main appeal. The other nice part is that paladins are half-casters so you only lose one caster level for your two level dip.

On the third hand, you're at the point in the game where spells and spellcasters are getting really, really good, so I'd want to spend as little time away from bard as possible; leveling as warlock hurts especially bad because it doesn't advance your normal spellcasting at all, while paladin is at least a half-caster. I think there's a lot to gain from one level in Warlock, especially if you want to get better at hitting things, but I wouldn't stay away from Lore Bard for too long. Otherwise, if you're not really interested in melee, then I probably wouldn't even multiclass at all, considering Lore Bard is pretty dang good at just about everything else.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Hey folks. Please do me a favour and move the Zak S chat to the existing industry thread conversation so it's not as spread out.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

tzirean posted:

My party is hitting level 10 next session and wrapping up a long-running arc as part of that. I want to give them each a cool magic item that they'll want to use for the rest of the campaign, so I'd appreciate help giving them cool effects. My ideas so far, based on what they're looking for from magic items:

I like to give my players magical items with 1/day or 2/day uses of things that aren't necessarily mechanically covered in the game. These items develop as we progress and get better over time.

Example: Gave my tanky paladin a +1 longsword that can make a single cleaving attack once per day, hitting up to 3 targets. Roll once, use that value for all 3 targets. Costs an action, does not allow for extra attacks. Smiting is per-target, no freebies (yet, around level 12 or so I'll let him use a 1st level slot and damage roll to hit all 3 targets. At around level 17, can use a 2nd level slot to smite). Goes to +2 at level 8 or 9, and +3 at around 14-15.

My barbarian got a +1 hand axe of returning that was made of a "special wood" that allowed it to be used at shortbow ranges. Bonus action activates a lightning arc in the blade. The next attack made with the axe hits for the axe damage plus a level 1 shocking grasp. (This allows the barbarian to participate in ranged encounters and/or respond to allies in trouble by striking an opponent and removing their ability to take reactions for the turn.) Higher levels will get Chill Touch and maybe Vampiric Touch options at around the same progression as the paladin's weapon.

My druid got a rod that commands plants. Makes an entangle area of difficult terrain with 1d6 damage every 5 feet something moves in it, or causes a nearby plant to reach out and attempt to grapple and restrain a target. Next iteration will allow them to animate a nearby plant to come to life (low CR, like CR2) and attack an opponent of their choosing, but only lasts a minute and if the plant doesn't return to its roots, it will die. Higher levels will increase the CR of the plant summoned and maybe get another effect if I can think of one that fits.

My Wizard got a rod modeled after the Staff of Defense from Phandelver. +1 AC when held. 10 charges - Absorb Elements (2 charges) - Shield (2 charges) - Crystalline Guard (5 charges) - A red glowing field of crystalline force surrounds the user, creating an AC 15 barrier with (4 x the caster's level) of temporary hit points. The spell lasts for 1 minute or until dispelled or destroyed, during which time the caster is unable to move or act. (I am playing much more intelligently with my NPCs. The wizard is finding himself very often low on HP and having to duck away from the fight or get primaried by opposing ranged attackers. He needed the survivability bump and the crystalline guard has saved his rear end twice already. I know I'm going to take poo poo from people because "well I bet he has a ton of fun not doing anything" but honestly he's playing such a glass cannon character that it hasn't bothered him. YMMV, know your players.)

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Natural 20 posted:

I'm running an assassin rogue.

I'm level 3 going on level 4.

10, 16, 10, 13, 12, 16.

Talk to the DM. When a character levels, roll for HP. If the roll is more than the average, take the roll. If not, take the average.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
For those (Probably few) wondering why the UA for the Artificer is not out yet, despite its original planned Drop Date being yesterday, the reason is snow.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Feb 13, 2019