Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

My mom was always a fan of " well all the people in history are dead why should i care who they were" and when trump declared "well hes rich he should be able to do whatever he wants" then when hillary was the dem candidate trump became the dumbest person ever magically. The gently caress is it with boomers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

Mormons have honestly been softening up a lot lately in politics, but they're still weird Freemason copycats.

Mormons have always been weirdos but they’re honest about it at least and don’t seem to be out to scam you.

That this is somewhat refreshing says a lot more about modern politics than anything else

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Mormons are always nice. I've never seen an angry one, maybe a little irritated after some prodding by junior enlisted.

They love mountain dew.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Mormons are always nice. I've never seen an angry one, maybe a little irritated after some prodding by junior enlisted.

They love mountain dew.

mormons fuckin go nuts for soda, since they can't drink caffeine at the devil's temperature

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

mormons fuckin go nuts for soda, since they can't drink caffeine at the devil's temperature

Uh que? I’ve heard of the caffeine thing, but no ice???

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Nystral posted:

no coffee

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Nystral posted:

Only ice, and it seems to be a recent development:

quote:

In 2012 the Mormon church clarified its policy on caffeine, paving the way for Thursday's decision.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, as it is formally known, determined that a reference to "hot drinks" in religious texts only applied to tea and coffee, not all caffeine products.

The decision occurred around the time that Mitt Romney was spotted swigging a Diet Coke during his presidential campaign against Barack Obama, according to the Salt Lake Tribune.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I thought they weren't allowed to have caffeine in soda either because it's still a drug then? Or did that change when it became inconvenient like the multiple wives thing and the feds about to pull their tax free status?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Religion is for the birds.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Its amazing how god suddenly picks up the phone when one of the famous cjosen people want something to change to benefit them isnt it?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

as an aside I really do feel fortunate to live in a time when we can watch a religion going through its awkward teenage phase, clearly established enough to have staying power but still fluid and evolving because the OG prophet is only a generation or two removed from living memory. At the same stage in Christianity's history the gospels hadn't even been written yet.

"Freezone Scientology" as practiced outside the Church of Scientology organization is definitely also one of the 5 under 500 new religious movements to watch!

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 13, 2019

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

They love mountain dew.

lol so quaint the church that's pushed conversion therapy super hard and didn't let black people join while some of us itt were alive

so wacky :xd:

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

Jesus...I would've really raised hell if my mother ever said something like that, and the conversation would've probably ended with something like "When you feel like they're worth having a decent life you can talk to them again."

They are conveniently my older brother's kids, so I don't have any say in who sees who. I just live the life of the son who has no kids and probably won't unless they're step-kids/adopted.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/1095505632847978496?s=19

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Stravag posted:

I thought they weren't allowed to have caffeine in soda either because it's still a drug then? Or did that change when it became inconvenient like the multiple wives thing and the feds about to pull their tax free status?

It seems to have changed right around the time they, as a whole, started to own large amount of stock in various soda companies.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Mormons have always been weirdos but they’re honest about it at least and don’t seem to be out to scam you.

That this is somewhat refreshing says a lot more about modern politics than anything else

That South Park episode about Mormons is one of the best that they've ever done. They know their religion is goofy, but they don't really care.

They are super susceptible to scams themselves, though.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/mviser/status/1095529657380859904

Coffee Man gonna save us

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There are tons of Mormons who hate the idea of public land and want to be able to drive their 4 wheelers on top of archaeological sites.

Then there was the 2016 election. They mamby pambied around about how Trump is anathema to their worldview. Then voted for him anyway.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

lol so quaint the church that's pushed conversion therapy super hard and didn't let black people join while some of us itt were alive

so wacky :xd:

Okay, maybe I've only met nice mormons that had less problems with normal people than your average baptist.

At the least, individually, they're polite and generally walk the social contract line.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

This poo poo day has been saved by someone successfully uploading the Gold Bond video GET IT WHILE IT'S MINTY

https://vimeo.com/316939410

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i have it downloaded because of how rare it can be

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

For peak hilarity it's in the context of Maestro Col. O'Malley being a current event.

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2019/02/12/first-female-viper-demo-team-pilot-relieved-after-two-weeks/

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

drat thats the most those air force guys have moved since basic.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
That video is the best thing I've seen this year. Thank you.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Bell_ posted:

That video is the best thing I've seen this year. Thank you.

He wasn't joking though, download a copy while it's up. That video gets taken down quick as poo poo every time. It's kinda impressive.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Youtube deletes it before it even finishes uploading, it's loving impressive.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Arven posted:

That South Park episode about Mormons is one of the best that they've ever done. They know their religion is goofy, but they don't really care.

They are super susceptible to scams themselves, though.

The dream of SO MANY of the girls I grew up with in Utah were basically to become dependas. Homebodies, cranking out kids for a husband who has to work 12s to support them, and selling essential oils and falling for pyramid schemes. Almost none of the girls I knew from high school who started college finished, because they only went until they found someone to marry.

Edit: Hell yeah keep that GB video.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 13, 2019

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

man speaking off two different things

https://www.linkedin.com/in/derek-maestro-o-malley-277b279/

Interests
Brigham Young University
242,882 followers

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Speaking of Mormons.. As a Jack Mormon and utah resident, a law maker proposed that we allow 4.8% beer in grocery stores and gas stations instead of the 3.2%.
Of course the Church, which roughly 9 out of 10 law makers are members of, opposed the bill.

Church opposes sale of heavy beer

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

shame on an IGA posted:

This poo poo day has been saved by someone successfully uploading the Gold Bond video GET IT WHILE IT'S MINTY

Holy lol that’s entertainment.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
4.8% is heavy? lmfbo

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

Only good thing to come out of the Air Force.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

ded posted:

4.8% is heavy? lmfbo

Ya, 4.8 is light beer territory. The beer I was drinking tonight was 11%.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

DoktorLoken posted:

:same:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DoktorLoken posted:

Yeah 4.8% is like what you buy a suitcase of to take on a boat ride so you don't get the attention of the boat cops/forget about tides. My usual after-work beer is almost always in that 10-14% range where everything is dark and pours like syrup. There's some danish brewery that does these imperial porters blended with licorice and chile and they're so goddamn good.

E: To Øl is the brewery, beers are like "Smoke on the Porter" and something Confidential.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Feb 13, 2019

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Welcome to Utah y'all, where anything above 3.2% is at state owned liquor stores. A heavy tax included, a 1750 ml bottle of jim beam is 40 bucks.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Edgar posted:

Welcome to Utah y'all, where anything above 3.2% is at state owned liquor stores. A heavy tax included, a 1750 ml bottle of jim beam is 40 bucks.

:stonk: at least you've got some fantastic outdoor stuff to make up for it, and I imagine you can always duck over/down to CO or NV for proper hooch. Bet you'd easily make up the cost of gas with a few decent bottles of something like Pendleton, Booker's, Stranahan's, Templeton, Sazerac, etc.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Okay, maybe I've only met nice mormons that had less problems with normal people than your average baptist.

At the least, individually, they're polite and generally walk the social contract line.

Pretty much this. Having grown up around evangelicals and Southern baptists, Mormons have always been nice and at least pretend-caring.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Pretty much this. Having grown up around evangelicals and Southern baptists, Mormons have always been nice and at least pretend-caring.

That goofy lovable religion that only recognized in 1978 that black people have souls.

E: and 6 years ago that black skin was not a curse.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_people_and_Mormonism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

That Works posted:

That goofy lovable religion that only recognized in 1978 that black people have souls.

E: and 6 years ago that black skin was not a curse.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_people_and_Mormonism

Still puts them decades ahead of big chunks of the south! Mormons aren't "good" by any means, but for day-to-day interaction?they're infinitely preferable to a big' ol swathe of America as it stands.