Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/1095437689535545344
hint: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base_and_superstructure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

also old tories

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

jacobin recently published an article about how no deal brexit would be good, actually

e:also has sunkara finally payed the old tribune writers because if not Foster is a scab on top of being an idiot

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Regarde Aduck posted:

Her deal is just hard brexit with two years of messing about to take the edge off things. It's terrible. It all depends on if you are on vital medication or know someone on vital medication because if so I guess she has you by the balls and her deal is better than no deal.

If you have the privilege of being a pragmatic rear end in a top hat then the absolute chaos of no deal might at least result in the tories collapsing. But yeah, there will be a death count.

Like instinctively, in my heart of hearts I want the absolute chaos of no deal over May getting her way via hostage taking. But intellectually I realise that's really horrible. I guess the moral of this is that a politician shouldn't have been able to do this in the first place. That she has been able to position her deal as being the only way to prevent hundreds - thousands of deaths should be a criminal case. She should see jail for this. Instead it's a point on contention on an internet forum.

did anyone ever see prison time for grenfell?

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Fallen Hamprince posted:

jacobin recently published an article about how no deal brexit would be good, actually

e:also has sunkara finally payed the old tribune writers because if not Foster is a scab on top of being an idiot

dsyp

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Previously I'd assumed that May's plan was to wait until a few days before no-deal hits and then offer the binary choice vote. This evening I was struck with a much worse thought: she might let no deal take effect for a week and then get her deal passed. I mean, there's no guarantee that the EU's deal stays on the table after we no-deal on the 29th. But from her point of view it's might actually be better tactically. She gets to prove everyone calling for a "no-deal Brexit" that it's as bad as we all know it is, and there's very little chance a majority of MPs would vote against it when there's an actual crisis on, rather than just one looming.

Of course, it sucks for everyone whose livestock dies or insulin supplies run out, and it'll probably have months of aftershocks, all the panic buying and unrest. But that won't really affect her, so the idea might still appeal. It would explain why she won't rule out a no-deal Brexit, not because she thinks it's actually good for negotiations, but because allowing no-deal briefly might be a political play...

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Heavy_D posted:

Previously I'd assumed that May's plan was to wait until a few days before no-deal hits and then offer the binary choice vote. This evening I was struck with a much worse thought: she might let no deal take effect for a week and then get her deal passed. I mean, there's no guarantee that the EU's deal stays on the table after we no-deal on the 29th. But from her point of view it's might actually be better tactically. She gets to prove everyone calling for a "no-deal Brexit" that it's as bad as we all know it is, and there's very little chance a majority of MPs would vote against it when there's an actual crisis on, rather than just one looming.

Of course, it sucks for everyone whose livestock dies or insulin supplies run out, and it'll probably have months of aftershocks, all the panic buying and unrest. But that won't really affect her, so the idea might still appeal. It would explain why she won't rule out a no-deal Brexit, not because she thinks it's actually good for negotiations, but because allowing no-deal briefly might be a political play...

Bold thing to assume she'll be in office post no deal imo

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It's a real shame Lyndon LaRouche died before he could see Brexit.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Dr Pepper posted:

Bold thing to assume she'll be in office post no deal imo

You think she's gonna resign?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Fallen Hamprince posted:

LOL at you pretending to give a gently caress about workers being paid for their labour, gently caress off lib.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/anguswalkertalk/status/1095399488699752450

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

forkboy84 posted:

LOL at you pretending to give a gently caress about workers being paid for their labour, gently caress off lib.

yeah youre probably right, classifying thinkpiece writers as 'workers' who deserve to be paid for their 'labour' is p silly

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Oily Robbins?

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Gripweed posted:

Oily Robbins?

this is just what british people call tater tots right?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

quote:

On Tuesday, Mr Justice Mann rejected the claim. Lawyer Natasha Rees, whose firm Forsters acted for the residents, expressed extreme disappointment at the judgment.

quote:

We continue to be mindful of the amenity of our neighbours and the role Tate Modern has to play in the local community. We are grateful to Mr Justice Mann for his careful consideration of this matter.”

Having Mr Justice Man hear your case is badass and like the most british thing.

hakimashou has issued a correction as of 00:46 on Feb 13, 2019

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

hakimashou posted:

You think she's gonna resign?

firing squads are a kind of resigning.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Lord Sugar, Lord Adonis, Lord Wrigglesworth, Baroness Hogg, Mister Justice Mann. Britain what's up, are you ok.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

uber_stoat posted:

Lord Sugar, Lord Adonis, Lord Wrigglesworth, Baroness Hogg, Mister Justice Mann. Britain what's up, are you ok.

you forgot the best one, THANGAM DEBBONAIRE

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

whoa, we're halfway there
whoa - oa

Coohoolin posted:

THANGAM DEBBONAIRE

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

kecske posted:

whoa, we're halfway there
whoa - oa

lol

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I'm watching this with a great deal of interest, hoping that people do not die, but it seems like things could really unravel if the supply chain gets disrupted?

Like, aren't tariff agreements and import duties and things like that usually decided upon months if not years in advance? How close are tariff negotiations to concluding? What are the odds British regulators are going to let imported food be distributed if tariffs haven't been agreed upon?

How many days of food does the average British city have for its inhabitants if shipments stopped tomorrow? How will that amount be affected by hoarding and panic buying?

Or is this really all overblown and there's nothing to worry about?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Glenn Quebec posted:

Well.

Edit: hold on nws

:nws:

[iurl=https://twitter.com/vnbateman/status/1092340667697819649]naked lady yelling about brexit[/url]

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Just droppin in to say this lady is very pretty and has good opinions but she is not a very subtle dramatist tbh, like, "i get it"

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Mameluke posted:

Just droppin in to say this lady is very pretty and has good opinions but she is not a very subtle dramatist tbh, like, "i get it"

https://twitter.com/SteffanBlayney/status/1095295311675879425

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

lol. that was quick.

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

Are they actually sending the aircraft carrier to the other side of the globe for Brexit because lol

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I'm watching this with a great deal of interest, hoping that people do not die, but it seems like things could really unravel if the supply chain gets disrupted?

Like, aren't tariff agreements and import duties and things like that usually decided upon months if not years in advance? How close are tariff negotiations to concluding? What are the odds British regulators are going to let imported food be distributed if tariffs haven't been agreed upon?

How many days of food does the average British city have for its inhabitants if shipments stopped tomorrow? How will that amount be affected by hoarding and panic buying?

Or is this really all overblown and there's nothing to worry about?

There are no negotiations taking place. Britain either accepts another 2 years of single market membership in form of the May deal or it will revert to WTO rules.

WTO rules would be a bureaucratic nightmare for governments and businesses but the bureaucracy is doable. The real hurdle will be the infrastructure. If a border is designed to handle 60 trucks per hour with an average overhead of 1 min, it can only do 30 trucks an hour if you raise that overhead to 2 min. And suddenly introducing custom checks on either side will do much more than double the overhead.

The roads, checkpoints, personnel, etc. are a huge problems and Britain has done very, very little to prepare for that. Like, a customs agents needs months of training to be able to start working productively. A new road needs planning and years of construction work. Trucks stuck in traffic at the border for hours are not available to do anything else and companies can't just instantaneously expand their vehicle fleets, etc. It's gonna be really interesting to see how everything turns out. Lots of researcher from all kinds of different fields are watching this.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Opferwurst posted:

It's gonna be really interesting to see how everything turns out. Lots of researcher from all kinds of different fields are watching this.

Britain has helpfully volunteered as a guinea pig for a super dangerous science experiment and we all get to watch what happens!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Doesn't WTO have a several years long process for admission, and UK is only a member through the EU currently?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Truga posted:

Doesn't WTO have a several years long process for admission, and UK is only a member through the EU currently?

Never heard of that, but IRC Britain would have to negotiate their WTO tarrifs completely from scratch if they leave the single market. It's gonna take years to do that and they would be in a catastrophic bargaining position because everyone can just veto their tariff plan proposal or something.

They can start trading on a provisional basis instantly though with their proposed tariff plan. Other countries will then have to challenge it.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Grape posted:

He's going to be memory holed immediately like W Bush was, and the right will start gas-lighting people about him being a leftist moderate.

Bush Jr has kept his mouth shut while painting in his Texas ranch house.

Trump is going to be tweeting all day every day until he drops dead.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

E Depois do Adeus posted:

Are they actually sending the aircraft carrier to the other side of the globe for Brexit because lol

Wait, wait.

Are they going to try and smuggle out the people who'll profit from a no-deal on it?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/JasonGroves1/status/1095594478575017984

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Top of the mold to ya.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i love brexit

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i hope jam becomes a politically partisan issue

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

i say swears online posted:

i hope jam becomes a politically partisan issue

Specially cause the left has the home advantage

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

in 2 months time all we will have to eat is mould

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I want to yell at this person

https://metro.co.uk/2019/02/11/im-a...floaty.facebook

Adbot