Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Wrestlepig posted:

Go full d&d parody, get them into a bar as soon as possible and fill it with the standard crap

Have them meet some friendly, helpful locals who set off to go murder hoboing in the mountains. The one survivor who makes it back describes their horrible deaths, pleads for their help.

How do the locals view the Dark Angels? Benevolent warrior-lords? Nightmarish legends?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Warthur posted:

The "black salt" is called pepper, yeesh, have you never been to a nice restaurant before?

I honestly spit my drink all over myself and choked when I read this.

Otherwise... I’m genuinely loving a lot of the black salt ideas, I had a concept I was hinting at in one of my RT campaigns and it might work as a seed for you. RE: Another dimension. So, salt is a crystal. It is organized.

I had hinted at “another” Warp through various means, and I channeled a lot of Zelazny here, and that while there was a Warp of Chaos that had spilled over, dimensional resonance, phase cancellation, “celestial frequencies,” point to a co-dimension of absolute fractal order.

And while the “prime” universe was being torn asunder by Chaos, this could exist as a possible balance to pull it back. Or have just as dire consequences of freezing time, Ice-9 style crystalizing spacetime into a single thing. Which of course is devastating to baseline sentience or life as we know it. Introducing entities that want to just turn the universe into a single never-changing jewel. So these abilities would stand against Chaos well, but at the cost of introducing entities just as powerful with equally atrocious end goals adding only yet more conflict and death to the total sum of the universe.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

head58 posted:

Have them meet some friendly, helpful locals who set off to go murder hoboing in the mountains. The one survivor who makes it back describes their horrible deaths, pleads for their help.

How do the locals view the Dark Angels? Benevolent warrior-lords? Nightmarish legends?

Given that of the Marines present on the planet are Scouts, the general opinion is probably somewhere along the lines of "but The Batman's just a myth..."

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Gigantic buff men who steal children to become one of them sounds like witchers minus the whole monster slaying thing. Would be cool to have the populace hate and fear them rather then the standard, "glorious lords from the sky" depiction

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Youths who wish to provide for their large, poverty-stricken family can try to steal something from the monster's vaults. Those who succeed and return to their families will vanish a few days later with their bizarre "treasure", replaced by a pile of blood money from the ghostly knights who war in heaven. Adults who try to do the same never return (because their heads get popped like melons by the scouts who guard the entrance).

The local nobles didn't used to question it too much because it stimulated the economy, but now they're concerned that the value of gold is dropping and want some well armed and armoured investigators to find out what's actually happening.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

How do keywords work for character creation in Wrath and Glory? I'm interpreting it as you need all the relevant keywords to match. So if I build a Rogue Trader, I can't wear the Tacticus Mk X because I don't have Adeptus Astartes and Primaris keywords. This makes it look like the Rogue Trader can only wear the Mesh Armour, and Light Power Armor. My GM was originally saying that you just need one of those, but then he said a Rogue Trader couldn't wear the Space Marine gear, which much more matches my interpretation of the rules.

Figured it out a bit more, Rogue Trader has some special rules for initial armor and weapons.

Chainclaw fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 31, 2019

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Chainclaw posted:

How do keywords work for character creation in Wrath and Glory? I'm interpreting it as you need all the relevant keywords to match. So if I build a Rogue Trader, I can't wear the Tacticus Mk X because I don't have Adeptus Astartes and Primaris keywords. This makes it look like the Rogue Trader can only wear the Mesh Armour, and Light Power Armor. My GM was originally saying that you just need one of those, but then he said a Rogue Trader couldn't wear the Space Marine gear, which much more matches my interpretation of the rules.

I mean logically lorewise a Rogue Trader couldn’t wear Astartes armor even if they had some because they are not 7ft tall and have a black carapace.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

I mean logically lorewise a Rogue Trader couldn’t wear Astartes armor even if they had some because they are not 7ft tall and have a black carapace.

Yeah, only one human manages it in the lore, and that's because he was given astartes implants and space steroids by the Lunar Wolves.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Chainclaw posted:

Figured it out a bit more, Rogue Trader has some special rules for initial armor and weapons.

Those keywords only matter for obtaining those in the course of play. The gear that a Rogue Trader gets at character creation, and any obtained through Ascension, doesn’t give a single poo poo about keywords.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Tias posted:

Yeah, only one human manages it in the lore, and that's because he was given astartes implants and space steroids by the Lunar Wolves.

Tell me of this man.

I dunno you but i always admired your avatar and the text that goes with it. Im jacking the text for my Facebook profile. I hope you don't mind. If you do mind lemme know and ill not but i figure you could gaf.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Viva Miriya posted:

Tell me of this man.

Dis dude: https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Maggard

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Chainclaw posted:

You can acquire gear that you don't have keywords for, but it's easier to acquire gear you have keywords for.

Tias posted:

There's actually a few pseudo-Astartes in the lore, but they're mostly in the Heresy novels. Usually people important to the Primarchs that were too old to accept the full regime of implants. One inquisitpr from the Imperial Armor books was given a bunch of implants that made him Astartes sized, so he might count as well.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

SardonicTyrant posted:

There's actually a few pseudo-Astartes in the lore, but they're mostly in the Heresy novels. Usually people important to the Primarchs that were too old to accept the full regime of implants. One inquisitpr from the Imperial Armor books was given a bunch of implants that made him Astartes sized, so he might count as well.

Yeah Kor Phaeron from the Word Bearers is another example of that as well. Not only was he not a full astartes, but Logar also made him Captain of the First (grand) Company.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

Viva Miriya posted:

I dunno you but i always admired your avatar and the text that goes with it. Im jacking the text for my Facebook profile. I hope you don't mind. If you do mind lemme know and ill not but i figure you could gaf.

Haha thanks. The art is Tomer Hanuka and “Achieving reality ahead of schedule” is a Syd Mead quote which I extended to a description of his art because a lot of it is all laser cars at luxury events with leopards or tigers chilling out because of course they are.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Haha thanks. The art is Tomer Hanuka and “Achieving reality ahead of schedule” is a Syd Mead quote which I extended to a description of his art because a lot of it is all laser cars at luxury events with leopards or tigers chilling out because of course they are.

I'm gonna have to look into all that. Thank you.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Has anyone had much success running Genestealer Cults as the big bad in a Dark Heresy or maybe lower Only War power-level campaign?

It seems like using the Deathwatch-level stuff is an easy way to a TPK is all.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I think it's fine to have enemies that would result in a TPK. It doesn't need to be such that every possible enemy in the world is beatable in a fair fight. It's just really important the players and the GM are on the same page about this, so that they realize "if we're going to fight that we're going to loving die, so we need a better plan".

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

Has anyone had much success running Genestealer Cults as the big bad in a Dark Heresy or maybe lower Only War power-level campaign?

It seems like using the Deathwatch-level stuff is an easy way to a TPK is all.

Genestealers are no joke; if one gets to a non-Astartes character, very real chance of a one-shot on their claws. They're squishy, relatively, but agile and fast and scary. So... Yeah, do it, gut some PCs :P .

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

susan posted:

Genestealers are no joke; if one gets to a non-Astartes character, very real chance of a one-shot on their claws. They're squishy, relatively, but agile and fast and scary. So... Yeah, do it, gut some PCs :P .

I just read Elucidium and it’s legit changed how I think about GSCs, doesn’t have to be all chitin and claws. Maybe this particular strain has weak genes and they can’t reliably breed full ‘stealers (a failure for which the Great Mother will surely enact her vengeance when Her imminence arrives)?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Elukka posted:

I think it's fine to have enemies that would result in a TPK. It doesn't need to be such that every possible enemy in the world is beatable in a fair fight. It's just really important the players and the GM are on the same page about this, so that they realize "if we're going to fight that we're going to loving die, so we need a better plan".

You could always do a 'found footage' session where the players are handed some high-level pregens and get loving slaughtered by Genestealers, to let them know both in and out of character 'hey if you try to take these things on without a plan you will loving die'

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
If the party thinks gene stealers are TOO hard, you could remind them that overwatch shots do not get dodges.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Jack B Nimble posted:

If the party thinks gene stealers are TOO hard, you could remind them that overwatch shots do not get dodges.

Unless I missed an FAQ/errata somewhere that depends on whether or not you consider the Overwatch shot to your turn interrupting theirs or not.

Another possibility is to have it be a very early infestation, before they really go exponential and replace half the population. One Broodlord, a few purestrains, and a few hundred cultists. You only get purestrains every fifth generation, so you could literally do the math if you wanted to. Then you have the opportunity to make the purestrains terrifying monsters that should never be faced in a fair fight while also having an excuse for them to not show up that often compared to basic troop-level enemies the players won't get oneshotted by.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
You do know that GSC is not just "Tyranids, but replace gaunts with Stealers," right? Before you're tackling pure-strains, you have corrupted/hypnotized/slightly tainted PDF, Insmouth-look laborers, maybe a few freaky mutants. A Cult going "purestrains now!" would show its hand/claw way drat early and be purged.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Friends of mine ran a jobber-level "you're the genestealer cult, good luck" game, which was by all accounts pretty awesome. They sent out a beacon to the hive fleet mothers, attracted the fleet ships, but then realized that their own Patriach had been corrupted by a chaos god (Nurgle IIRC), and then fought elements of their own cult through a hive city to prevent the hive fleet itself being infected - until incinerating the Patriarch and most of their party in a suicidal mining explosives endeavour.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Tias posted:

Friends of mine ran a jobber-level "you're the genestealer cult, good luck" game, which was by all accounts pretty awesome. They sent out a beacon to the hive fleet mothers, attracted the fleet ships, but then realized that their own Patriach had been corrupted by a chaos god (Nurgle IIRC), and then fought elements of their own cult through a hive city to prevent the hive fleet itself being infected - until incinerating the Patriarch and most of their party in a suicidal mining explosives endeavour.

Aw, they didn't even get to the part where they're eaten and digested.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I'm thinking the salt works a bit like a mix between psychic powers and range weapons crunch wise. You get a charge per dose, and a failure on the wrath die means you lose a charge. That's the good result. Other results do weird things, and can even cause you to lose fingers or limbs as your boby becomes more salt. For a rogue trader with access to bionics it's not a long term problem, but still.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Eh, I think your biological bits turning to salt while you replacing the them with bionics could be a pretty unpleasant long-term problem - but hey, it's rogue trader, losing is fun!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So is Wrath and Glory still an open product line or is it going to be a one-and-done?

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

So is Wrath and Glory still an open product line or is it going to be a one-and-done?

In theory it's ongoing; they soft announced an Eldar book several months back.

...But then there's a whole lotta silence in between. I like the system, like it a lot, but drat it could use some support bad.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I love the new WFRP edition, but it would be nice to know what the next book or two are supposed to even if they don't know when.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I love the new WFRP edition, but it would be nice to know what the next book or two are supposed to even if they don't know when.

Still waiting on the physical version of the Starter.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
My Wrath and Glory core book arrived from Amazon today! I only ordered it... 4 months ago...

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Cublice 7 apparently was in the middle of relocating to Ireland during all of this and have just gotten settled. They have also expanded the team and hired a guy whose purpose is communicating with the fans. It's people are now joining Discords and talking about upcoming stuff, playtests and some of their current stuff.

So I would expect some news soon. Given that they put out a newsletter that said expect some news soon.

JcDent posted:

Still waiting on the physical version of the Starter.

I should ask one of them about this. As I would love a physical starter as well.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

MonsterEnvy posted:

Cublice 7 apparently was in the middle of relocating to Ireland during all of this and have just gotten settled. They have also expanded the team and hired a guy whose purpose is communicating with the fans. It's people are now joining Discords and talking about upcoming stuff, playtests and some of their current stuff.

So I would expect some news soon. Given that they put out a newsletter that said expect some news soon.

Oh that is great to hear. With the book staying high on the best sellers list at Drive-thru I assumed it was a big success. I have everything they have produced so far and the quality is fantastic.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is there much reason to pick up the new WFRP if you have the last three? I love each of those editions already, but I maybe don't need another $60 hardcover.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

If you greatly prefer 3E to 1E-2E, you'll not like it.

If you liked 1E/2E, I'd say go for it - it's a nice update of the mechanics, nothing radical but a lot of fairly sensible changes addressing known issues, and it's got that rich 1E atmosphere which 2E lost a little because they had to pay lip service to following the Storm of Chaos metaplot.

I particularly like what they've done with careers - instead of having a basic/advanced split, they've realised that a good chunk of the advanced careers were basically "This Basic career, only more so". So careers now have four sub-levels in them which are basically equivalent to a single career in "old money". When you change career you can come into a career closely related to your existing one closer to your current level in it, or you can go for a more radical departure if there's a reasonable IC explanation and you're willing to start at a lower level, so it's much less restrictive than the more limited "You have to exit to this set of careers" rules from old versions.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That change to careers sounds interesting, and I really dig 1e's more wild setting - so ok, thanks!

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

The problem with 4e is that the Advantage system is broken as hell, and Advantage ends up completely overshadowing your actual stats and skills if you get a few hits in.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

chin up everything sucks posted:

The problem with 4e is that the Advantage system is broken as hell, and Advantage ends up completely overshadowing your actual stats and skills if you get a few hits in.
I think that's working as intended - Advantage is meant to avoid whiffy fights by making sure that once you start getting the upper hand in a fight, you can end it quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Added on the rules even give a suggestion for capping it by your Initiative bonus or a predetermined limit if you "prefer a more controlled combat environment that isn’t so influenced by the whimsy of dice and luck."

Warthur posted:

I think that's working as intended - Advantage is meant to avoid whiffy fights by making sure that once you start getting the upper hand in a fight, you can end it quickly.

Which would be why it's called Advantage.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 13, 2019