Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

NTRabbit posted:

My brain is fine, it's just a boring movie. There's no fun outside of the opening battle, it's just dour and joyless.

Claiming a movie is boring is just your personal opinion and says nothing about the quality of the movie. It's ok that you think that but don't expect anybody to accept it as legitimate criticism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

NTRabbit posted:

Them clearly being spaceships to just about any observer who has seen a scifi product before is pretty important to the point being debated, which is that the movie is pretty confusing when it tries to explain why the Kryptonians don't just get on their spaceships and leave.

It's quite simple: the ruling class has absolute power. Their sociaty is entirely made to obey those in power if they say "no more colonisation and no leaving krypton" it doesn't matter if you have spaceships to flee: you just obey and suppress any will to do otherwise. So there is no will to use them aside from some fringe cases like jor-el.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

It's quite simple: the ruling class has absolute power. Their sociaty is entirely made to obey those in power if they say "no more colonisation and no leaving krypton" it doesn't matter if you have spaceships to flee: you just obey and suppress any will to do otherwise. So there is no will to use them aside from some fringe cases like jor-el.

Also most people were not accepting that the planet was really going to die, they seemed to be rationalizing all that away right up to the very end. And once it was actually happening there wasn't time to all of the sudden start evacuating.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

A self-inflicted planetary catastrophe that is denied right up until its inevitability? Preposterous.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Sir Kodiak posted:

A self-inflicted planetary catastrophe that is denied right up until its inevitability? Preposterous.

Political cartoons in the last days of Krypton must have been amazing.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Grendels Dad posted:

Everything about him fell into place for me when someone on here mentioned his dorky hair. I mean, I loved him before because it's Michael Shannon, but Zod is also pretty much someone who could just as well show up as a instructor in a Police Academy movie where someone would write DORK on his back with sunscreen while he naps on the beach.

His half-Caesar half-Dwight Schrute hair is so drat inspired

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Are you the guy who insisted that Jim Lee's art looks great?

Yeah. Jim Lee is a great artist. My prized nerd possession is a signed hardcopy of Hush. Cue people making GBS threads all over me in 3... 2... 1...

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Yeah. Jim Lee is a great artist. My prized nerd possession is a signed hardcopy of Hush. Cue people making GBS threads all over me in 3... 2... 1...

no one gives a poo poo dude Lamps is just a weirdo that gets off on trying to humiliate people for their tastes.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

no one gives a poo poo dude Lamps is just a weirdo that gets off on trying to humiliate people for their tastes.

No, everyone made fun of SolidSnakesBandana in the previous thread when they insisted that some terrible comic art was great.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

I have other bad opinions too. I've enjoyed more than one Geoff Johns comic. For a while I was on the lookout for comics written by Geoff Johns because I realized I tended to enjoy his work. That was right around when New 52 was still New, so things may have changed.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Johns' run on the (then still Wally West) Flash was honestly great and revived the entire concept of the Rogues after Mark Waid repeatedly tried to bury them.

He got worse the more control he got. He wrote thoughtful and interesting stuff when he was working within constraints (even though a lot of the time he was trying to Trojan horse Silver Age stuff in, but he was forced to think about it more organically).

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Uh Jim Lee is a loving amazing artist.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Hollismason posted:

His lazy New 52 costume redesigns were pretty garbo though. He got an opportunity to play with the visuals of some of the most iconic characters in pop culture and it basically boiled down to “lol I dunno, more piping?” We were stuck with them for quite awhile.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Eh, Jim Lee isn't bad but there are faaar better modern comic artists out there.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jim Lee is a very competent yet very boring artist.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Hollismason posted:

Draws maybe 3 figures, no sense of motion, bland to bizarre paneling, no ability to convey character. He sucks rear end

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I would honestly take Rob Liefeld over Jim Lee anyday. At least Liefeld has some personality in his art, while Lee's just looks like he's sketched posed action figures.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I too am a fan of more belts and pouches.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

The MSJ posted:

Marvel is planning 4 adult-oriented animated series for Hulu: Howard The Duck, Hit-Monkey, MODOK, and Tigra & Dazzler. They then will join forces in The Offenders.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/marvel-hulu-set-four-show-animated-slate-howard-duck-modok-hit-money-tigra-dazzler-1185246

All of those shows but Hit-monkey have pretty good writers on staff. I don’t know about Chelsea Handler’s writing, but Erica Rivinejo was a staff writer on Clone High and Kevin Smith is offset by Dave Willis, who co-created ATHF and Squidbillies. Hopefully the animation will be at least decent

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Wait...Chelsea Handler is writing an animated Marvel series? :psyduck:

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

I would honestly take Rob Liefeld over Jim Lee anyday. At least Liefeld has some personality in his art, while Lee's just looks like he's sketched posed action figures.

Leifeld at his best is bizarrely, marvelously ugly, Lee at his best is just a slightly worse Bryan Hitch

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

PenguinKnight posted:

All of those shows but Hit-monkey have pretty good writers on staff. I don’t know about Chelsea Handler’s writing, but Erica Rivinejo was a staff writer on Clone High and Kevin Smith is offset by Dave Willis, who co-created ATHF and Squidbillies. Hopefully the animation will be at least decent

Did Willis leave Adult Swim?

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Uncle Wemus posted:

Did Willis leave Adult Swim?

I don’t think so, since he played a character on Ballmasterz, which aired fall of last year :shrug:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Jim Lee did great work at a certain point of history, but, unfortunately, did not evolve with the times, unlike artists that he inspired like Travis Charest. His stuff is mediocre now because he only slightly grew as an artist since 1990.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if anyone who praises Jim Lee has ever read Moebius, or Herge, or anything really.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

MoS does a good job of creating an alien society that makes sense and is both inhuman and human at the same time. They went to the stars, and are insanely high tech. However a few hundred years ago they gave up growth and turned inward. Everything is planed out, and their world went full sci-fi dystopia with genetically determined jobs for test tube babies.

Even if they had listened to Jor-El, and started in on rebuilding space ships, they probably still would have been doomed. Likely when they consulted the records of all the scouted and colonized world, they would have deemed them all insufficiently Kryptonian. The colonies all failed, likely resulting in worlds no longer terraformed to full Krypton standards, and the scout worlds are likely all pretty non-Kryptonian. Like Earth.

Remember that Zod and his crew show up to a planet where they are essentially demi-gods, and their first instinct is to get rid of that poo poo. They're going to kill all life on the planet, and get rid of their super powers, in order to recreate a dead planet. There is no creativity or even ability to change and adapt. Nope, just kill a few trillion life forms, reorganize your Brave New World blueprint, and then a couple hundred years down the line some other scientist will be warning the ruling class of New Krypton that the world is about to end again.

Can't even be bothered to go one planet over, kick on your super science terraformer, and get a new Krypton without mass genocide. The thing even changes the gravity of the planet, it probably would let them make two new Kryptons using both Venus and Mars.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Gyges posted:

MoS does a good job of creating an alien society that makes sense and is both inhuman and human at the same time. They went to the stars, and are insanely high tech. However a few hundred years ago they gave up growth and turned inward. Everything is planed out, and their world went full sci-fi dystopia with genetically determined jobs for test tube babies.

Even if they had listened to Jor-El, and started in on rebuilding space ships, they probably still would have been doomed. Likely when they consulted the records of all the scouted and colonized world, they would have deemed them all insufficiently Kryptonian. The colonies all failed, likely resulting in worlds no longer terraformed to full Krypton standards, and the scout worlds are likely all pretty non-Kryptonian. Like Earth.

Remember that Zod and his crew show up to a planet where they are essentially demi-gods, and their first instinct is to get rid of that poo poo. They're going to kill all life on the planet, and get rid of their super powers, in order to recreate a dead planet. There is no creativity or even ability to change and adapt. Nope, just kill a few trillion life forms, reorganize your Brave New World blueprint, and then a couple hundred years down the line some other scientist will be warning the ruling class of New Krypton that the world is about to end again.

Can't even be bothered to go one planet over, kick on your super science terraformer, and get a new Krypton without mass genocide. The thing even changes the gravity of the planet, it probably would let them make two new Kryptons using both Venus and Mars.

The fun thing with Zod's crew's creativity is that they do manage to retrofit their ship's engine to enable them to travel the stars. They absolutely are able to think outside the box, but they only ever do so in pursuit of their programming. It's not just violent or cruel actions Zod takes upon himself to protect his people, he also grows beyond his genetically assigned expertise.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

While furiously denying that he has done or that it's even possible.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Even then he's not thinking outside the box though, he's copying Jor-El. If Zod hadn't stopped by as baby Kal was being shot off to Earth he probably never would have thought of using the phantom drive to hunt down the baby.

Which isn't to say Zod doesn't exhibit the ability to exceed his assigned parameters. Dude kills the government and nearly succeeds in a coupe. Which is totally not what his soldier lineage was supposed to do. Kryptonians aren't genetically predetermined to do certain jobs. It's a fiction they tell themselves. They're all test tube babies who are perfectly capable of doing whatever they want, but through education and societal inertia they instead follow along their assigned paths.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Feb 13, 2019

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
True, otherwise how would Jor and Lara break the mold?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Lara does tell the family robot that the planet's about to explode and the robot's literally unable to process it, which should be a good summation of it.

Krypton's had a lot of different aesthetics over the years, usually reflecting the current era's ideas of the future and fashionable sci-fi stylings. The HR Giger inspired entirely metallic style of Man of Steel seems fitting for an incredibly advanced society that's become regressive, repressed and self-destructive, rather than the optimistic shiny crystal or Jetsons-esque stylings of previous depictions of Krypton. (though the comics have played with a society that's become repressed and sterile to the point where physical touch, let alone physical reproduction, is taboo)

I do wonder if there's room for meaningful discussion comparing it to the Saiyans, since Dragon Ball Super: Broly expanded a lot more on Saiyan society before its destruction in an origin story that's always been a riff on Superman but changed to suit the series' own trappings, and how only one guy really figured out they were probably doomed before the planet's destruction.

ed: To respond to the previous post, it does fit in with the theme of Clark himself being scared and confused as to what exactly he's supposed to do with all his power, and more or less accidentally stumbling into the idea of being a superhero; taking on an alter ego in which he can use his powers to aid and protect humanity, while giving himself the space and freedom to live as a normal person with a family, a girlfriend and a job. He specifically chooses a lifestyle that gives him that freedom and choice in how he lives, rather than letting a single purpose overtake his entire mindset.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Feb 13, 2019

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Eh, I liked Broly but it really just has Bardock say "Wow, I have a sudden inexplicable sense that the planet's going to be destroyed. Let's shoot the kid into space, and if I'm wrong we'll go get him."

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Darko posted:

Jim Lee did great work at a certain point of history, but, unfortunately, did not evolve with the times, unlike artists that he inspired like Travis Charest. His stuff is mediocre now because he only slightly grew as an artist since 1990.

George Perez has drawn the same way for like 30 years and he's arguably one of the greatest living artists right now. Jim Lee's style has been coopted by so many different artists that it's overwhelming. He was just copied to much. Also his style has definitely changed over the years.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

josh04 posted:

Eh, I liked Broly but it really just has Bardock say "Wow, I have a sudden inexplicable sense that the planet's going to be destroyed. Let's shoot the kid into space, and if I'm wrong we'll go get him."

He seemed to pretty logically reason it. Freiza ordered all Saiyans back to the planet and had been asking around about the legendary super Saiyan and positioned his fleet there, and always hated them. That's pretty drat suspicious.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

josh04 posted:

it's not really that inexplicable, the movie very clearly sets up that frieza is both paranoid about a saiyan ever getting too strong to keep control of and is now in a position where his empire can continue to thrive and grow without depending on the saiyans

bardock just reads between the lines and infers correctly when he sees all the saiyans being ordered to one planet and frieza's ship there but not touching down. it's infinitely preferable to the earlier bardock media where bardock just literally sees visions of the future

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

josh04 posted:

They do go into some detail given the whole context of things, basically being 'Freiza barely tolerates us as useful at best and we know it, and we barely tolerate him because he's too powerful to kill and he knows it, and now he's recalling us all to one place for no apparent reason...' And the whole idea of a society based pretty much entirely around personal superpowered strength knowing someone who's stronger than any of them and able to destroy planets with little effort but failing to do anything about it because they're still successfully cowed... similar theme in that ultimately it was apathy and short-sightedness that led to their destruction, and sheer luck that a few managed to survive. And a theme that the foundling survivor sees worth in his alien heritage because he gets to know people of his kind who aren't total assholes.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

There's nothing specific to Bardock that makes him disposed to think differently to the rest of the Saiyans, though. There's no reason he should be more or less suspicious of Frieza than the rest of them, in the way that Jor-el is a Kryptonian radical. Bardock just does.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

josh04 posted:

There's nothing specific to Bardock that makes him disposed to think differently to the rest of the Saiyans, though. There's no reason he should be more or less suspicious of Frieza than the rest of them, in the way that Jor-el is a Kryptonian radical. Bardock just does.

the thing specific to bardock that makes him a saiyan radical is that he's a saiyan who actually gives a poo poo about the well-being of his son. compare him to the other two saiyan dads in the movie king vegeta and paragus who only gave a poo poo about their offspring as extensions of their own prestige or ability to project power

it's certainly possible that there were other saiyans who were suspicious and observant enough to realize what was going on but they had no recourse or avenue to escape the planet themselves, same as bardock and gine

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Ya'll remember that failed writer who wrote "tell that to zod's snapped neck" in a dumb attempt to "fix" BvS right? Of course you do!

Well, I present to you the spiritual sequel: Drink your god drat cocoa.

https://twitter.com/Iron_Spike/status/1095529996049924096
https://twitter.com/Iron_Spike/status/1095532814181781509
https://twitter.com/Iron_Spike/status/1095533910220525569

The whole thing is worth a read for how she turns Superman into a middle-aged racist who apparently lives in New york.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

BvS very clearly has a scene where clark frets over what the news media is making of him just trying to help people and be a good person