Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hahahahaha the NFL is absolute trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
didn't ESPN fire simmons in part because he poo poo on the NFL and Goodell constantly or am i misremembering

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

clean ayers act posted:

didn't ESPN fire simmons in part because he poo poo on the NFL and Goodell constantly or am i misremembering

that was part of it, but Simmons had also been flat out daring ESPN to fire him

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
It really owned how the NFL kept caving to Trump when he whined about the national anthem bullshit and then he goes and says he wouldn't let Barron play football because it's too dangerous

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/1094656201961418752

also, those are the only aaf regular season games on cbs this season

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DJExile posted:

that was part of it, but Simmons had also been flat out daring ESPN to fire him

Wasn't he goading the president of ESPN specifically?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

It really owned how the NFL kept caving to Trump when he whined about the national anthem bullshit and then he goes and says he wouldn't let Barron play football because it's too dangerous

Saying he didn’t want Barron to play football was literally the most thoughtful thing Trump has ever said.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/ourand_sbj/status/1094656201961418752?s=21

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

also, espn is disputing that

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1094674295849136129

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I don't know why they're getting huffy over the first game of a new league too. You do have the trainwreck factor in play.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Wasn't he goading the president of ESPN specifically?

Yeah he had some serious beef with Skipper.

iospace posted:

I don't know why they're getting huffy over the first game of a new league too. You do have the trainwreck factor in play.

He's their comms director. Fighting over ratings is basically his job.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Is it really that surprising that a country that not only tolerates but celebrates the Pro Bowl will watch garbage-tier football in February

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ElwoodCuse posted:

Is it really that surprising that a country that not only tolerates but celebrates the Pro Bowl will watch garbage-tier football in February

its an interesting number but its pretty much meaningless, they set this thing up to fail hard. At least the XFL tried to keep games on national broadcast for more than a week instead of being shunted into cable's wastebins.

next week there are no more games on national broadcast, it's cable only (2 TNT< 1 NFL Network, 1 CBS Sports)

week 3 is when the blood letting truly begins, because instead of being on TNT they'll be on BR Live which is apparently a Bleacher Report streaming srvice that no one knew existed, and no more basic cable (unless I guess NFLN is somehow in that tier)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah it's gonna vanish fast.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

exploded mummy posted:

its an interesting number but its pretty much meaningless, they set this thing up to fail hard. At least the XFL tried to keep games on national broadcast for more than a week instead of being shunted into cable's wastebins.

next week there are no more games on national broadcast, it's cable only (2 TNT< 1 NFL Network, 1 CBS Sports)

week 3 is when the blood letting truly begins, because instead of being on TNT they'll be on BR Live which is apparently a Bleacher Report streaming srvice that no one knew existed, and no more basic cable (unless I guess NFLN is somehow in that tier)

It's 1 on TNT , 2 on NFLN and 1 on CBS Sports, with that one TNT game moving to BR Live starting in week three.

Turner has the Saturday afternoon game, CBS Sports has the Sunday afternoon game and NFLN has the Saturday and Sunday night games every week.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
BR Live has the Champions League this year and I still don't know anyone who has it. I wonder how it's performing financially; as in if TNT is making money from it or what.

American football and soccer seem like pretty orthogonal markets so I guess this is an attempt to diversify.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I hope they are taking a bath on it because it's a colossal scam

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
According to the AAF itself, they wanted a digital presence to go alongside television. I mean, whatever, I don’t plan on subscribing to any OTT sports service.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Everyone seems relatively realistic about what AAF is and it has a good relationship with the NFL, I could see it doing okay. They desperately need better coaches though.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MourningView posted:

Everyone seems relatively realistic about what AAF is and it has a good relationship with the NFL, I could see it doing okay. They desperately need better coaches though.

I heard Spurrier coaches in the league? That's uh, interesting .

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
His team won 40-6, so I guess that proves something?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I heard Spurrier coaches in the league? That's uh, interesting .

He immediately dropped 40 on someone which rules. But there are also guys like Mike Martz (still getting his QB absolutely anhilated on 7 step drops in 2019!) and Mike Singletary coaching. It seems like in general they went big names rather than guys who actually understand modern football. I'd rather try to poach a lower division college coach with an interesting offense.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 11, 2019

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

ElwoodCuse posted:

Agreed. We've had this discussion before but I hope between this and the 100000 non sports streaming services that all of the parent companies lose a pile of money.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

ElwoodCuse posted:

NBC Sports Gold is a bigger scam

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MourningView posted:

He immediately dropped 40 on someone which rules. But there are also guys like Mike Martz (still getting his QB absolutely anhilated on 7 step drops in 2019!) and Mike Singletary coaching. It seems like in general they went big names rather than guys who actually understand modern football. I'd rather try to poach a lower division college coach with an interesting offense.

itll be interesting to see how the XFL does

they managed to coax Bob Stoops out of retirement

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

MourningView posted:

they probably wanted the big names to prove to people that there is support and bring in people who might otherwise write it off. I'd guess that most of the coaches there now won't be in 2-3 years.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

Agreed, they can both get hosed

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

the number of streaming scams is just gonna go up, imo

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I would have thought the mission statement would have to be play exciting College Style Offences and not do what the XFL did which was play outdated football.

I dunno thats just me though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

algebra testes posted:

I would have thought the mission statement would have to be play exciting College Style Offences and not do what the XFL did which was play outdated football.

I dunno thats just me though.

Eh, that'd be more fun to watch but the AAF has some sort of deal with the NFL, and that isn't what the NFL wants. No idea what XFL redux will do, if they ever actually play any games.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/ChrisDobbertean/status/1094288256047431680

CBS had uh... quite the map on their tournament preview, trying to predict regional finals

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
washington dc isn't maryland either

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Peanut President posted:

washington dc isn't maryland either

Congratulations, you're smarter than the Big Ten Conference!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/RobTornoe/status/1095505081489862656

[clapping hands emoji between words] ALL MICS ARE HOT MICS

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

the cubs' new network in collaboration with sinclair is official

https://twitter.com/MLBBruceLevine/status/1095635520665911296

also adnan virk has broken his silence over his departure from espn

https://nypost.com/2019/02/12/fired-espn-sportscaster-adnan-virk-im-not-a-leaker/

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Vertical Lime posted:

Oh cool I can’t wait for the seventh inning stretching truth segment with Boris Epshteyn

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Vertical Lime posted:

also adnan virk has broken his silence over his departure from espn

https://nypost.com/2019/02/12/fired-espn-sportscaster-adnan-virk-im-not-a-leaker/

Well, guess it's back to listening to all games on the radio for me!

I'm going to break down and spend the money to get whatever channel this is, I know it.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

DC Murderverse posted:

Oh cool I can’t wait for the seventh inning stretching truth segment with Boris Epshteyn

Joe Ricketts approves.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

It wasn't a slur so I fully approve of McHale calling someone a dickhead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/MattSBN/status/1095799336481497088

lmao

quote:

Per that information, the Pac-12 Network is estimated to have 17.9 million subscribers.

Thanks to Nielsen cable coverage estimates, here are just 15 channels that reach more people. There are, uh, a lot more.

BabyFirst (55.9 million), a network that produces content for babies. As a father of a baby, I had no idea there was demand for such content. My baby loses interest before the end of the ABC song.

BEIN SPORT (21.5 million)
Boomerang (38.3 million). That’s a channel that shows cartoons.
Destination America (45.5 million)
ESPN DEPORTES (18.9 million)
FOX DEPORTES (21.2 million)
Great American Country (51.2 million). Its website lists its its top shows as Flea Market Flip, Living Alaska, and Flippin’ RVs.
Justice Central (28.2 million). This is about court shows, not superhero movies.
Maxprime (21.2 million), a sub-brand of HBO that’s branded as a home for “Action and Erotic Movies.” Neat.
Outdoor Channel (34.6 million)
Ovation Network (45.1 million)
Pursuit Channel (30.3 million). I was disappointed to learn this is mostly about hunting and fishing content, rather than constant car chases.
REELZCHANNEL (60 million).
Smithsonian Channel: (40.3 million). Literally a TV channel about museums, I must assume.
Z LIVING (19.8 million). I guess this is about health and wellness?