Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

al-azad posted:

In Mario Kart's manual, Nintendo encouraged screen watching as a viable tactic.
there were a ton of split screen games that I felt were explicitly designed around peeking. lots of games that had very boldly colored textures or lighting so you could see out of the corner of your eye like "oh he's in the red area"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Please don't look at my side of the screen in Street Fighter 2.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

This is why you need multiple TVs and multiple consoles for full competitive equity

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/SuperBentendo/status/1095527279105638400?s=19

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I only have the Core, the bonus unlockable chapter to go in Celeste and my opinion of gently caress this games story, gently caress the wind levels, gently caress the jumps you cant know whats going to happen the first time, and why is the summit so loving long. Why.

Real good platformer otherwise if you love hard but not super meat boy punishing technical platformers.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Is it time to buy Civ 6 yet or so I still have another year or so?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Barudak posted:

I only have the Core, the bonus unlockable chapter to go in Celeste and my opinion of gently caress this games story, gently caress the wind levels, gently caress the jumps you cant know whats going to happen the first time, and why is the summit so loving long. Why.

Real good platformer otherwise if you love hard but not super meat boy punishing technical platformers.

The summit is long because it's the finality of the journey

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its two distinct stages though; its a final too many times remix of all the stages youve played and then another, fairly long level with its own theme.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
The summit was loving awesome and had the best music.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Barudak posted:

next do the b sides

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Looper posted:

next do the b sides

Nah, I dont like the genre enough for that.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Over There posted:

If it helps, I've seen fairly positive things about the new expansion, but I havent played Civ 6 in a while. Last time I did it was mp games with friends that went poorly.

Related, just for me personally, I've kind of fallen out of love with 4x as a whole. These days I don't really care so much about winning/losing as I do the game creating tense moments and exciting stories and most of the current crop just don't. CK2 is probably the best at it, and it's a cool game, but I don't love the actual gameplay part. I think squad tactics games better suit what I'm looking for these days (please be good new Fire Emblem.)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Barudak posted:

Nah, I dont like the genre enough for that.

okay go listen to the music for ch 5 b side

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
What's with the people suddenly playing Celeste till the end despite hating it? Which thread is pushing them to do it?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Celese is probably the angriest I've ever seen anybody get at a platformer's plot.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

$20 is a low barrier of entry to complain about video games on the internet, it's one of the best values out there.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think it's a fine line to walk between "hating a game" and "complaining about it while determined to not let it beat you"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

For the record I dont hate Celeste. For somebody who likes technical platformers its really quite a good game. It has some issues in design here and there but the overall package is good enough and robust enough to outweigh those concerns (seriously though level 4 is trash every time the wind blows against you).

The story got hyped the hell up as well and frankly doesnt do more than exist and has some severely muddled messaging but its clumsy and half-baked rather than actively offensive and it being very praised isnt the games fault and the story isnt a selling point.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 13, 2019

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Over There posted:

The AI is still incompetent and the UI is bad at displaying information.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Barudak posted:

For the record I dont hate Celeste. For somebody who likes technical platformers its really quite a good game. It has some issues in design here and there but the overall package is good enough and robust enough to outweigh those concerns (seriously though level 4 is trash every time the wind blows against you).

The story got hyped the hell up and basically just exists but thats on people hyping the game up, not on the game.

namaste

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I've heard way more complaining about Celeste's story being bad than people praising it.

Personally, I'll never know because I skipped all of it

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i heard nothing but people singing the story's praises when it came out but also got the impression it was a lot of "uwu im depwessed but depwession can be suwmounted through the suppowt of youw fwiends and pewsevewance" schmaltz

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Celeste has really tight gameplay and great music so you should definitely check it out if you're at all into technical platformers. Story is simple/cute and the gaming press people probably played it up too much and made it into more than it was

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The wind does suck I agree

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Celeste is the best game that came out last year, hope that helps

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

i heard nothing but people singing the story's praises when it came out but also got the impression it was a lot of "uwu im depwessed but depwession can be suwmounted through the suppowt of youw fwiends and pewsevewance" schmaltz

it's basically this but the mechanics gel with everything really well and the lead dev said it's basically an expression of how he personally handles his depression so it works for me

the real star is the music tho

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The AI is still incompetent and the UI is bad at displaying information.

So its still a 4x game huh :sigh:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oops i only just now remembered to put celeste on my steam wishlist

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Macaluso posted:

Celeste is the best game that came out last year, hope that helps

Battletech or Hitman 2 was

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Fools, depression can only be surmounted by overloading your body into a state of total physical exhaustion before the ravages of time and a poor diet can do that for you.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

channeling my crippling depression and free time into making a really shiny weapon in ff14's the forbidden land, eureka

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

same but a nice spaceship in elite

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Andrast posted:

I've heard way more complaining about Celeste's story being bad than people praising it.

Personally, I'll never know because I skipped all of it

The only place I see this type of virulent reaction to the story are these forums.

Sometimes it's almost like the game everyone here plays the most is trying to be the one who hates more video games.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I hate every video game

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
People do tend to like doing what they're good at

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

tfw you start grinding to make a really cool looking weapon and then tens of hours later you see what the final form of the weapon looks like and actually, its not that cool

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

This is the forum where people get super caremad at Child of Light, a cutesy RPG with silly rhymes that can be beaten by children in under 8 hours.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Samuringa posted:

The only place I see this type of virulent reaction to the story are these forums.

Sometimes it's almost like the game everyone here plays the most is trying to be the one who hates more video games.

you realize people can dislike pieces of a videogame and complain about those pieces they dislike without hating the videogame right

like i really want to play celeste because it's reputedly the best 2d platformer since super meat boy and i bet you i'd love the poo poo out of it but it sounds like the story is kind of a jomny sun "remebmer too smile at an sundrop twoday :)" pandering fart

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Okay but the rhymes in Child of Light were extremely bad and we should be teaching our children better rhyme skills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

exquisite tea posted:

This is the forum where people get super caremad at Child of Light, a cutesy RPG with silly rhymes that can be beaten by children in under 8 hours.

I only saw a bit of it but lol at the rhyming in that