Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

someone compromised an email provider's primary and backup servers, formatted them, and destroyed 20 years of data. the company apparently had no cold storage backups.

https://arstechnica.com/information...ZigasqormT3brUE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Blinkz0rz posted:

tbh i don't like apples 2fa implementation because afaik you can't assign a primary device so if you have a whole bunch of apple devices it's a crapshoot as to which one to auth from

just use an otp generator like everyone else ffs

Apple does have the advantage over standard TOTP by showing you a map of where the login attempt is coming from before showing you the OTP code

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Blinkz0rz posted:

tbh i don't like apples 2fa implementation because afaik you can't assign a primary device so if you have a whole bunch of apple devices it's a crapshoot as to which one to auth from

just use an otp generator like everyone else ffs

how do you teach a billion people to totp on their phone that they’re setting up for the first time with no other computer access?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
i get why it exists the way it does i just want something a little more standardized than having to have my apple device with me whenever i need to login

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
our internal 2fa is just totp afaik fwiw lol iiuc jfc fubar ftw

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

GWBBQ posted:

someone compromised an email provider's primary and backup servers, formatted them, and destroyed 20 years of data. the company apparently had no cold storage backups.

This is wild

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

GWBBQ posted:

did them a favour really, 20 years of data is a GDPR nightmare

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

GWBBQ posted:

somebody wanted that provider eradicated, impressive.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

even keeping 20 years of data seems like a gross ediscovery liability.

did them a favor

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Diva Cupcake posted:

did themselves a favor

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Blinkz0rz posted:

i get why it exists the way it does i just want something a little more standardized than having to have my apple device with me whenever i need to login

that seems pretty standardized imo

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

this isn't a secfuck on its own but may be setting up some people for one with the list of trustworthy tlds:

yup, definitely never seen bullshit hosted on a .org or .com

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Diva Cupcake posted:

did them a favor

the gently caress is this nonsense

people are paying you to hold onto their email however long they want it, it's not the email host's responsibility to act like everyone is a crimed up business account

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Good Sphere posted:

i don't know if it warrants a class action lawsuit, but maybe this is the only motivating factor now that will make it change. also security questions - get rid of them
I give them flak for stuff but:

It's loving stupid.

It's a straight up suit that "omg this security improving thing makes my life slightly harder let's sue", that's awful.

Good secure UX is hard, suing because you have to hit a few more buttons is embarrassing and doesn't help.

If they won (which they won't) it would set one hell of a counter productive precedence.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Diva Cupcake posted:

did them a favor

did you know... gmails holding like 15 years of email by now???????

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

that's one way to get to inbox zero

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jeoh posted:

:yosnice:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Jeoh posted:

Yikes

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

apseudonym posted:

It's a straight up suit that "omg this security improving thing makes my life slightly harder let's sue", that's awful.

the security improvements to windows vista were necessary and it was just that kind of thinking made people reject them outright

My job is to make ordinary people act like they aren't trying to actively compromise their own security on an hourly basis. It's just not possible to make "a typical user" give a gently caress about security. A toddler in an abandoned amusement park has better survival instincts.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i got a low-effort spam message today from an email address at "gmayl dot com" which I thought was quite :3:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol
https://twitter.com/surferdave_sec/status/1095320679803686912

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

idgi

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

:stare: .....well, YOLO I guess.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I guess there's info disclosure there? although I can't spot what it is, all I see are internal IPs and half of an aws subdomain

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

oh hey that dave keene dude's in indiatlantic, i used to live right across the river from that place years ago, neato

also i just found out that if you click where someone lives on twitter it takes you to a list of tweets from people who presumably also have that listed as their city so i got a nice shotgun blast to the face of garbage trump opinions coming from people i probably passed at the grocery store or w/e, thanks twitter

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also more in line with this thread, this dude who loves him some smart homes:

https://twitter.com/skofarrell/status/1093941092574203908

https://twitter.com/skofarrell/status/1093945767243497474

https://twitter.com/skofarrell/status/1093949552112082945

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
curse security teams that blindly forward security scanner reports to vendors demanding urgent fixes

v important to address a BIND DoS vector for a container image that (a) never runs BIND and (b) doesnt even have BIND installed, but does have the BIND license in /usr/share/doc, because the centos image includes it for some reason

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Shame Boy posted:

i got a low-effort spam message today from an email address at "gmayl dot com" which I thought was quite :3:

i used to worry that people would think I had an email address of "@hotmale.com" and was super arrogant so I was quite glad when they changed the name to outlook

also gently caress lol at this:

quote:

A Web cache shows that VFEmail was founded in 2001 in response to the ILOVEYOU virus that infected tens of millions of Windows computers all around the world a year earlier. The virus got its name because it was transmitted in emails with the subject “I love you.” The service aimed to offer a better email experience by scanning messages for malware on the server.

“We strive to build an economical and redundant system, to provide our users with as much uptime as possible,” VFEmail’s about page said. “As mentioned, VFEmail started with a single machine, but over time we've built out, adding systems for load balancing/failover and separating services. Most recently we've made use of Virtual Machines in order to keep hardware acquisitions at a minumum [sic], in those cases where it would not impact performance. By separating vital functions, upgrades, updates, and system problems can quickly and easily be isolated from the rest of the system and provide you with uninterrupted accessibility.”

"instead of having our eggs in one basket, we have a load balanced network of baskets that your eggs are distributed amongst. what do you mean 'but are they in the same henhouse'?"

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Jeff atwood backup on the vm itself

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

the security improvements to windows vista were necessary and it was just that kind of thinking made people reject them outright

My job is to make ordinary people act like they aren't trying to actively compromise their own security on an hourly basis. It's just not possible to make "a typical user" give a gently caress about security. A toddler in an abandoned amusement park has better survival instincts.

UAC is a case study in how not to do security UX

mystes
May 31, 2006

apseudonym posted:

UAC is a case study in how not to do security UX
Vista UAC was intentionally designed to suck because its purpose was to get developers to change their software.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

mystes posted:

Vista UAC was intentionally designed to suck because its purpose was to get developers to change their software.

That went well

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

apseudonym posted:

That went well

It did

mystes
May 31, 2006

Everyone hated vista but it did achieve the desired result, so yeah.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

microsoft was willing to burn a major release to get people to fix their lovely code

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

basically yeah. same for drivers, everyone blamed ms but it really just highlighted what an absolute pile of garbage most drivers were.

like who remembers reinstalling gpu drivers multiple times a year because they'd always gently caress up? I can't remember the last time I had to do that

printer drivers are still shite though

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

duz posted:

microsoft was willing to burn a major release to get people to fix their lovely code

and it god-drat worked too

7 wasn't even too different from vista but a different name and simply existing after the bandaid was ripped off did wonders for its image

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

printer drivers are still shite though

everything about printers is hell-garbage from satan's rear end in a top hat and are a major reason I'm glad I'm not in IT anymore

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 13, 2019

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
I think I've already talked about this, but in pre-UAC windows XP, I solved the issue on my dad's computer by giving him two accounts: a regular user account for everyday use, and an administrator account I named "setup". when he needed to install applications, he switched to the "setup" account. that alone kept him 100% clean and safe for years *without an antivirus*

that said, UAC is extremely good and well thought out. it introduced a whole UI lexicon and syntax around privileged operations, *and* internally it's true privilege elevation, not "do as super user", which isn't privilege elevation, it's impersonating a privileged user with all that it entails. the only thing that doesn't make sense is showing the confirmation dialog on a secure desktop, because UI privilege separation would be sufficient to protect the dialog from unprivileged processes, and even with secure desktop you can "click" the buttons from an rdp connection to the current session, so it's just pointless inconvenience (if you really care about security, use a regular user account but also create a local admin, and UAC will act as runas instead, which compartmentalizes better)

I had no issue with UAC in windows vista and I have no idea what people did that triggered it so often. the gently caress were y'all doing all day, copying titty jpegs to a secret stash in the printer drivers directory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

"Power could be out" ...even assuming the drat fridge has a battery backup inside to keep the computer running to send ALERT: POWER CUT, how many people are going to have their router and modem on battery backup? And what am I supposed to do, run home in the middle of the day to throw food into an ice chest?

also gigantic lols at "if you have a vacation home"

get

hosed