Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

CHUNK boys is jump rumfield play mode, written for Reds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I thought straight teenage boys loved hotties in their media

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

I thought straight teenage boys loved hotties in their media

Yeah but not as the main character. The hottie is supposed to be just out of reach for the self-insert main character, so they can identify with the struggle of finding their own hottie

it's somewhere between moderately and greatly hosed up just how common this pattern is

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Is HUNK an acronym?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

theoretically human unit never killed but i think it just might be they like capitalizing it because whatever

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah but not as the main character. The hottie is supposed to be just out of reach for the self-insert main character, so they can identify with the struggle of finding their own hottie

it's somewhere between moderately and greatly hosed up just how common this pattern is

More shonen needs do it like Dragon ball and have the main character get married and have kids (and grandkids!)

Jojo works too

Andrast fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 13, 2019

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I feel it being for teen boys only excuses so much. I mean first of all teen otakus to love their waifus too and also because most of these series do in fact have plenty of female characters. Part of the problem is because it's the type of game it is, you get mostly main characters, who, often, are the blandest character in their series with the least interesting powers. There are exceptions but it makes the lineup, despite it's size, really samey and really dull if you don't know the character. Another thing is while there are female characters in these shows, they are always the love interest, or the motherly one or the smart one but rarely are they the one that ever gets to do cool poo poo, so they rarely make the cut. Then there's the selection, which tends to go on popularity rather than if they would be good in the game, so even when you have women, you have someone like Boa Hancock who frankly is always one of the least interesting One Piece characters to play in any game she's in, but she's popular so she always gets in.

Like I understand why the cast is kind of dull but the reasons are still not something that reflects well on the game or what it's based on and it just seems like the wrong things were prioritized at certain points.

Really the best way for something like this is how Capcom originally were with the Marvel fighting games, where after they got the basics down, they didn't really give a gently caress about the characters in the context of the original thing, just in who they thought would be fun to play and who people wanted to play.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
You were almost a HUNK sandwich!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

I honestly respect One Piece more than most because the creator literally seems to be 12 and seems to think romance is gross but boobs are cool. This is somehow the far less hard to stand way to approach things.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Jump Force, but everyone’s arale.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've never heard of Jump Force in my life.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

BattleCattle posted:

Jump Force, but everyone’s arale.

I'd buy that

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

i remember it because it takes effort to look that awful

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

Good! It was just announced, just came out, and is just as broken as Sonic 2006! It’s quite an impressive trainwreck.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I'm trying to think of someone they could've included but my knowledge of anime is very limited so my options are either "Has A Gun"(Faye, Kirika, Revy) or "Bends Reality Itself"(Sakura, Madoka, Noriko)

I think MHA has loads of superpowered girls, given all the fanart, so that's probably the most obvious choice?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
They won't put Arale in Jump Force for the same reason they won't put her in DBFZ: she's too powerful.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

How did you post art from a game that doesn't exist

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Relax Or DIE posted:

Cooking Mama BR where the cooking gets faster and more difficult until there is only one Mama left

The rest are killed

Cooking Mama BR: the only permitted ingredient is fresh long pig

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

jump force more like jump, the shark !!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i like apex.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
That reminds me that I've been meaning to ask:

What the heck is Apex Legends and why does it seem like was suddenly everywhere overnighr?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

it's fortnite's worst 'nite'mare

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

axelblaze posted:

What the heck is Apex Legends and why does it seem like was suddenly everywhere overnighr?

It's a new free-to-play BR game from Respawn, the people who everyone thought were making Titanfall 3. Its main innovations are a) squad play, b) ults, and c) a system by which you can communicate with teammates without typing or voice.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

axelblaze posted:

new fortnite

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

axelblaze posted:

because it was suddenly everywhere overnight

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Apex Legends of the Overfiend

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

How did you post art from a game that doesn't exist

It use to exist https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breath_of_Fire_6 Was a free to play mobile game released only in Japan and lasted for about a year in a half before shutting down.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

axelblaze posted:

HOBBY GRADE META GROWTH ESPORTS ETC ETC

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I said come in! posted:

It use to exist https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breath_of_Fire_6 Was a free to play mobile game released only in Japan and lasted for about a year in a half before shutting down.

hmm... this link doesn't seem to go anywhere

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

axelblaze posted:

There was zero hype leading up to the release. Respawn Entertainment announced it on a Monday morning and then released it that day. It's exactly the same game as all other Battle Royals, bringing absolutely nothing new to the genre.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't really understand all these new Battle Royale games coming out, maybe if somebody could personify each one as some big bapped anime girl I would have a more familiar point of reference.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

would the knockers be proportional to the size of the playerbase of each or what

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/108/status/1095762728483016704?s=21

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

would the knockers be proportional to the size of the playerbase of each or what

You wouldn't be able to draw Fortnite or PUBG in that case. Radical Heights on the other hand should be interesting to draw.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm just surprised Crackdown 3 is actually coming out.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Sorry um which part of the anime girl is the bap?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you'd have to use a log scale, as in, how hard it makes my log

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jump Force Jumini

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I said come in! posted:

You wouldn't be able to draw Fortnite or PUBG in that case. Radical Heights on the other hand should be interesting to draw.

Radical Heights would put you on a list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I feel like saying "Throw Every Car" would have been noteworthy in like 2005 or so.